PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in the rain?

lemonhead
11-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Was looking at the weather over next two days which is not lookng good...I have 2 days of gardening on,with especially tommorow a mowing and whippy day.Can anyone advise about mowing in the rain(sounds like a song)....Is it a no.no...or do you guys just plough on through..????? cheers in advance...daza

Greenie
11-10-2012, 07:21 AM
I try my best not too mow in the rain, I think it make an absolute mess, deck on the mower gets clogged the grass sticks to everything and gets very heavy and doesn't catch, mower leaves ruts and lines on the ground, and most of all it's bloody un comfortable, I tell my customers to re book so i can mow it and do a nice job as supposed to just mow and hope for the best,

imoww
11-10-2012, 07:33 AM
If it is light rain, you could always mulch.... But may have to rake it up instead of blowing..

Bluey
11-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I don't do it. It doesn't leave a good finish and besides not good for ya health. Catch the flu and your off for a week not a couple of days. Go home do ya book work and maintenance then go hard to catch up. Just let ya clients know. They will understand

Blaktop
11-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't do it, it makes for hard work and the end result looks crappy. If I have jobs on that don't involve mowing (like gardening, tree pruning etc etc) I try and swap them around, I'm not against working in the rain, just not mowing. It's raining here, hence I'm posting in the middle of the day.

DavidS
11-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah don't do it, I will finish a lawn but that's it. As Bluey said back home for warmth and maintenance.

PaulG
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Unless it's just a light, passing shower, then no.

PhilG
11-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Go home....or stay home. Unless it is one of our big body corporates which are a real pain to put off even for one day we won't mow lawns in rain.

fairdinkum
11-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I prefer not to. However if the growth is not to heavy and it's not pissing down I sometimes do. Had a bit of rain this morning and quite a bit overnight and the grass was pretty wet. But the catcher filled up completely every time on the catching jobs and the mulched jobs looked fine. Lucky I have a HONDA hehe. I even did 2 semi ferals with no issues. I think the fact that it's been so dry lately made it a bit easier. But for me Light rain or passing moderately heavy shower = yeah maybe. Heavy, torrential rain or thunderstorms = No chance.

Fred's mowing
11-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I prefer not to. However if the growth is not to heavy and it's not pissing down I sometimes do. Had a bit of rain this morning and quite a bit overnight and the grass was pretty wet. But the catcher filled up completely every time on the catching jobs and the mulched jobs looked fine. Lucky I have a HONDA hehe. I even did 2 semi ferals with no issues. I think the fact that it's been so dry lately made it a bit easier. But for me Light rain or passing moderately heavy shower = yeah maybe. Heavy, torrential rain or thunderstorms = No chance.
X2, ours are mowed reguarly & most are small/medium lawns on sand, so if we are getting good results, we push on.
Cheers Fred.

bb1
11-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I'll finish a lawn, but never start one (it happened today)... Will even put of gardening jobs if its raining, suppose I have become fussy.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
11-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I often mow in the rain if i didnt in the wet season i wouldnt get any mowing done. If the yard is too wet though you can leave ruts but a quick walk overr and i know pretty much straight away if its ok or will leave ruts. I always advise the client of the possibility of ruts and they usally say go for it as they know if i dont they be looking at $150 when the rain stops. I usally put the mower just on the edge of the drain before loading it and it self cleans. Good luck buddy wish we had some rain here everything thats not irrigated is a dead dust bowl. The dust is killing my air filters swapping them twice a day at the moment.

Bluey
12-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah but one difference for you tender...the rain is warm

bingle
10-12-2012, 03:00 PM
No for the reasons of mess/ruts etc.
No also because rain will delay the healing process of the grass leaf where it has been cut, giving fungal diseases a larger window of opportunity to enter the grass through the wound. Not so important for the average home lawn, more for those near perfect lawns.

Valley Lawnmowing
11-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Don't mow many of the resi lawns in rain but depends on type of ground, Commercial or contract work is a different story somtimes you just have to push on otherwise you fall behind and so does your bank balance.:laughing: