PDA

View Full Version : Where have the older members gone

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Seems to me that there is a lot of the older members gone from the forums.

Over the last couple of years the dynamics of the forums seem to have changed.

Some of that is probably because the industry itself has changed so quickly and just isn't the same as it used to be.

If any of you guys ....and Girls are still checking out the forums , it would be nice to hear from you again.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Just as an example ....69impala, ability , greenhaven, greasemonkey...... the list goes on. Even Admin. There used to be a lot of really experianced people on here giving their 2 cents worth and creating a lot of talk and debate.

cadase
15-10-2012, 08:04 AM
I've been a member since 2005, sometimes i just get bored with it and give it a miss for a while, It can be a bit like groundhog day at times. But that's only natural new people come into the game and tell of their experiences out on the job without realizing it's been written, debated, dummy spat about, many times before :).
I know the Jim's sagas always knocks a few people out. It used to be good when Topcat had his forum up and running, you could just "change the channel" when you tired of the same chat :).
Yeah it's interesting going through old posts wondering "where are they now".

administrator
15-10-2012, 10:34 AM
People use computers all the time and i think it does your head in sooner or later .Emails facebook twitter texts forums etc ive even noticed some people when they speak to you they still think their on the computer and say things they wouldnt normally say or ask and then they realise after somebody just smacked them in the nose lol .
People take things to heart and people are more sensative because how fast the information comes in and you can see that on the streets with people in cars in pubs etc .
More education will be required in the future so people can handle the pace of communication .

Some of the things said on here led to people being bumped off and thats just a part of their education lol Some left for their own education .Some left because they didnt agree etc etc etc .

Some come back after having a rest, giving all the time can be very draining .

IF you are always on the computer it can lead to depression .

Dont take things seriously give if you want to give ,respect others on their views and be happy use uplifting words and encourage one and other .

We all need reminders on behaviour and manners even me lol

So remember enjoy and have fun .

bb1
15-10-2012, 08:30 PM
I've been a member since 2005, sometimes i just get bored with it and give it a miss for a while, It can be a bit like groundhog day at times. But that's only natural new people come into the game and tell of their experiences out on the job without realizing it's been written, debated, dummy spat about, many times before :).

On since 2007, like you I just drop of for a few months every now and again when bored with it, or other life events take over. I closed my facebook account a month ago, as it was just getting more of the same cr#$

ian
15-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Some of the things said on here led to people being bumped off

gee that sounds a bit harsh write something you don't agree with and you send hitmen out

administrator
15-10-2012, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=ian;109284]gee that sounds a bit harsh write something you don't agree with and you send hitmen out[/QUOTE

The forum rules are applied and yes they broke the rules and yes they were bumped off .To break the rules they have to say something or do something doesnt matter if i agree or not .

Scooby Steve
20-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Glenn some of the ones that i have spoken too have gone because the advice they gave come back to bite them.

Some Indi members while pretending to be a mate are stabbing you in the back the next chance they get :fact so really you can't blame them.

Shame though because we had a good brotherhood going there for a while. Having said that there are still quite a few who i pass work onto so maybe the brotherhood has a chance to get back to where it was and those old members will come back on board :i dunno:.

ian
20-10-2012, 08:16 PM
i was actually thinking that most had probably made a mint and retired or died of old age trying to make a living

Shepparton Lawn Care
20-10-2012, 08:42 PM
gee that sounds a bit harsh write something you don't agree with and you send hitmen out

Haven't been here for a long time but good to see your sense of humour hasnt changed Ian!!

simo
21-10-2012, 08:03 AM
That`s just it, they`ve got older and gone fishing instead of surfing..

glassngrass
21-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I had a career change... so my participation reduced over time. My bookkeeping posts attracted some interest, but I found most questions were the same old "what do you think about this or that FREE accounting software?" - and when I gave an informed response they didnt like, they asked others in a different post... LOL
But yeah, ya activity here will fluctuate with life changes...... Use the forum more when ya need more support, less when ya don't - but always try and leave something that might benefit someone else.... even if it's 'just' a kind word.

Christine Wharton
22-10-2012, 04:35 AM
I guess I'm an older member, so thought I'd make and effort and respond ;) I do come back here now and then to peruse things, but most times I have trouble viewing photos, doing any posting etc, so that annoys the heck out of me and puts me off coming back for a while again. From what I read, I'm not the only who's affected this way, so maybe that's something admin needs to take into consideration. I'm also heavily involved as the admin on a couple of Facebook groups I set up for cavies (a.k.a. little lawn mowers - guinea pigs) in our local area, and that forum works so much better for me in terms of functionality. Good functionality = less frustration/ more fun ;)

Talking about frustration and fun, yes, I'm still out there mowing, along with my husband/sidekick. We've been busy on other fronts too lately, now that the weather has dried the grass up, so life's interesting...

administrator
22-10-2012, 03:08 PM
There is no reason for you not to see all pics everything is ok at the back end posting is easy you just type in your words and press ok lol

ian
22-10-2012, 07:32 PM
to speed things up i click on the "What's New" then open in new tabs so no waiting to download :)

Chris B
22-10-2012, 07:39 PM
top tip: press the 'scroll wheel' on your mouse (if u have one) on a link and it automatically opens that link up in a new tab in background while keeping the current page open

South East Mowing
22-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Glenn some of the ones that i have spoken too have gone because the advice they gave come back to bite them.

Some Indi members while pretending to be a mate are stabbing you in the back the next chance they get :fact so really you can't blame them. Shame though because we had a good brotherhood going there for a while. Having said that there are still quite a few who i pass work onto so maybe the brotherhood has a chance to get back to where it was and those old members will come back on board :i dunno:.

The only problem I really see is probably too many old bahhhhhhhhhhsstttt>>>>>>>>>>>>>> are worried that the phone doesnt ring with people who are willing for you to walk up with a "top end quote" and them to accept it on the spot.
Times are changing and the cycle is what it is. Everyone is getting in, or back in while the grass is green and growing. Many probably don't have any qualifications and possibly start as cowboys. Some, possibly many go on to make a good living (by their own standards) and this makes it harder for all in the industry. People tend to watch their own back when things dont go their way and lay blame to others. I would really like to see what facts anyone has about indies stabbing others in the back.
The fact is ANYONE can and does get into this industry, many with little or no qualification, skills and knowledge. It keeps things fresh and new and competitive for the client, like it or not. We just have to accept it or move into another industry.
It does not take long for people to gather the knowledge they need to make a "go of it" in this industry. Many join, get what they need and move on.
Saying that I think its just about my time and you shall see little of me, or maybe less if I get banned which is quite possible too.

Cheers!!:cheer:

Lawn Mowing Professionals
22-10-2012, 08:23 PM
What would u be getting banned for John?

Simmo.

Andy B
22-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm still around Cranbourne, really glad spring has sprung and have been busy but it has meant less time on the forum. Hope you are all well. :wave-hi:

Neil&family
22-10-2012, 09:02 PM
to speed things up i click on the "What's New" then open in new tabs so no waiting to download :)
^
What he said

m287j
22-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Gees i must be an old fart too, been around since late 2005. I still get plenty from the forum but don't give too much away in the open forum, more the private member's area.

Scooby Steve
24-10-2012, 06:04 PM
That`s just it, they`ve got older and gone fishing instead of surfing..

Sounds like a great idea.

Andy B
26-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I met Lockie the other day, was a bit shocked when the green trailer with the yellow writing came across the road, but so glad he did, nice guy and spoke some truths about our industry that I'll be taking on board.

Thanks Lockie is was great to put a face to the name, look out for the bird next time. lol

Lockie
26-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I'll be lookin, good to meet ya too mate.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I met Lockie the other day, was a bit shocked when the green trailer with the yellow writing came across the road, but so glad he did, nice guy and spoke some truths about our industry that I'll be taking on board.

Thanks Lockie is was great to put a face to the name, look out for the bird next time. lol

Hey Andy did he look anything like you expected? I find that I get a picture of what people
must look like from the forums and when you meet them its nothing like you expect.

Sorry to be talking about you as a third person Lockie. BTW I've always figured you would be young with blonde curly hair and a ladies man.:wave-hi:

Lockie
26-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Hey Andy did he look anything like you expected? I find that I get a picture of what people
must look like from the forums and when you meet them its nothing like you expect.

Sorry to be talking about you as a third person Lockie. BTW I've always figured you would be young with blonde curly hair and a ladies man.:wave-hi:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...................umm in a word no.....lol

Redeye
26-10-2012, 08:06 PM
that would be me.............not :(

Mrs HMS
26-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Do I classify as an older member lol? For a while there I was effectively working 2 jobs...left the one I had for 7 years and they begged me to help because my replacement just wasn't working out so I was doing a lot after hours thanks to remote access. But decided I was killing myself with lack of sleep and not seeing the family, but the money was good while it lasted. Then my puter died (I killed it through over work I think) and have only just got it back today.

Now to read everything I missed! Could have done with that iphone app while the pc was out of action.

ian
26-10-2012, 08:56 PM

whereas I've always thought he would probably look more like http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=loki&start=250&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1150&bih=598&tbm=isch&tbnid=OTEFGe-imoFICM:&imgrefurl=http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/the-avengers-bad-guy-is-***ier-than-johnny-depp-apparently-so/story-e6fredpu-1226486393309&docid=KX7ovVK1-oVo8M&imgurl=http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/10/02/1226486/390587-loki.jpg&w=650&h=366&ei=zWuKUK3dB6euiAfwxIHQAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=400&vpy=34&dur=1204&hovh=168&hovw=299&tx=170&ty=99&sig=112356310139265725909&page=11&tbnh=140&tbnw=258&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:58,s:200,i:178

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Do I classify as an older member lol? For a while there I was effectively working 2 jobs...left the one I had for 7 years and they begged me to help because my replacement just wasn't working out so I was doing a lot after hours thanks to remote access. But decided I was killing myself with lack of sleep and not seeing the family, but the money was good while it lasted. Then my puter died (I killed it through over work I think) and have only just got it back today.

Now to read everything I missed! Could have done with that iphone app while the pc was out of action.

Hey nice to see you back Joanne.:wave-hi:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-10-2012, 09:04 PM
whereas I've always thought he would probably look more like http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=loki&start=250&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1150&bih=598&tbm=isch&tbnid=OTEFGe-imoFICM:&imgrefurl=http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/the-avengers-bad-guy-is-***ier-than-johnny-depp-apparently-so/story-e6fredpu-1226486393309&docid=KX7ovVK1-oVo8M&imgurl=http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/10/02/1226486/390587-loki.jpg&w=650&h=366&ei=zWuKUK3dB6euiAfwxIHQAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=400&vpy=34&dur=1204&hovh=168&hovw=299&tx=170&ty=99&sig=112356310139265725909&page=11&tbnh=140&tbnw=258&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:58,s:200,i:178

Thats bizzare Ian. I always pictured him like that too but with blonde curly hair.:laughing:

ian
26-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Thats bizzare Ian. I always pictured him like that too but with blonde curly hair.:laughing:

do you mean wavy blonde hair that's his brother http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=thor&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1150&bih=598&tbm=isch&tbnid=nx-JTr3opmgM0M:&imgrefurl=http://moniqueblog.net/2011/06/how-to-dress-like-thor-loki-and-heimdall-if-youre-a-girl/&docid=b2qCUCZBydQDrM&imgurl=http://moniqueblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/thor-movie-how-it-should-have-ended.jpg&w=552&h=561&ei=n3eKUJmBDYSiiAf-xoBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=121&vpy=94&dur=7088&hovh=226&hovw=223&tx=132&ty=158&sig=112356310139265725909&page=1&tbnh=146&tbnw=144&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:159

cadase
26-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I actually have a photo of him and his brother together

Andy B
27-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Too far, hope he doesn't mind me saying it but he looks like a true blue aussie, except I couldn't see his cattle dog or worn out akubra. :)

Redeye
27-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I actually have a photo of him and his brother together
aah...taswegians :)

Lockie
27-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Wow u guys are thinking about me a lot..........:D

Sadly i look nothing like alien thunder gods and gladly i look nothin like the taswegian brothers!!

Andy B
31-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Beside George/Blackburn you're the only Jims guy I've met outside of a tip. lol

Lockie
31-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Always up for a chat, theres always something to learn or pass on and its always better to have friendly faces out there than not. You never know when u'll need a hand.

RSM-Gazza
06-11-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm an ankle biter within this forum's seniority. Like "Elroy" in the Jetsons but not as smart.

Maybe older members have turned sixty and cashed in their superannutation from past careers and are fishing on 40 Bertram cruisers in FNQ.
Or maybe Honda has recruited them as consultants for the release of the super chute wet SP mower to be released at the United Lawn Mowing conference at "Green Fields International Days".

As an ankle biter sometimes I don't get on here with streaming continuity because I'm too busy with family life, mower repairs, invoices, reconciliation of accounts, follow ups on unpaid invoices, next fortnights schedules, checking Bom Radar, playing with the dog, fishing, riding me 1250 Suzuki or just ensuring time is allocated to ripping a slab open and restocking the fridge.

Why am I typing this at 5.29am on Melb Cup Day, because I woke up and decided I'm going to hook up me 4.8mtr boat go for a quick spin on the Hume Weir to run the motors and then come home. Have to be quite though not to wake the neighbours, but me Husky ride-on is in front of the boat, bugger.

glassngrass
06-11-2012, 06:54 AM

At the tip? Was Jim's holding a convention?

06-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Or were they all trading in their trailers :laughing:

Simmo.

glassngrass
06-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Simmo.

Trading up.....

geoff1969
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Simmo.

scrounging through the recyclable section for a new - better trailer at a price thay can afford :laughing: { just **** stiring , im not jims bashing } cheers

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-11-2012, 08:24 PM
scrounging through the recyclable section for a new - better trailer at a price thay can afford :laughing: { just **** stiring , im not jims bashing } cheers

was just thinking, if this becomes a jims bashing thread I;m gonna be pissed off!!!!

06-11-2012, 08:33 PM
was just thinking, if this becomes a jims bashing thread I;m gonna be pissed off!!!!

Yeah, I agree... uncalled for.

Simmo.

ian
06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I agree... uncalled for.

Simmo.

i agree especially that comment about trading in their trailers that was terrible and uncalled for i mean everyone knows they sell them for a profit to indies :)

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
you are a **** stirrer ian;frosty; but I have never bought an ex jimes trailer, they were never big enough. The ones they get around in are damn good though now ,at least in my work area anyway. A lot bigger than the old ones.

AJD Mowing
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Where have the older members gone
Seems to me that there is a lot of the older members gone from the forums.

Over the last couple of years the dynamics of the forums seem to have changed.

Some of that is probably because the industry itself has changed so quickly and just isn't the same as it used to be.

If any of you guys ....and Girls are still checking out the forums , it would be nice to hear from you again.

5662 Hi what do ya want...

PaulG
06-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Bashing is socially unacceptable......

PaulG
06-11-2012, 10:03 PM
you are a **** stirrer ian;frosty; but I have never bought an ex jimes trailer, they were never big enough. The ones they get around in are damn good though now ,at least in my work area anyway. A lot bigger than the old ones.

All the VIPs around here have the really schmick trailers now!

ian
06-11-2012, 11:06 PM
one of the advantages of being in a franchise they can tell you when you have to update or at least clean up your trailer so it looks almost new

geoff1969
06-11-2012, 11:13 PM

as said was just **** stiring and not bashing ................. and if other members cant see that = its time thay grew up a bit ..cheers

glassngrass
07-11-2012, 06:49 AM
one of the advantages of being in a franchise they can tell you when you have to update or at least clean up your trailer so it looks almost new

Oooh.... that's a real win there !

Hugh Jarss
03-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Hi guys…I had a great time around this forum a few years back. There were some smart and funny people here, always good for a laugh as well as it being a great place to learn how to do everything related to the work, and I've recommended it to plenty a mowing bloke I've met since.
Reason I've been gone? A few reasons. I busted an ankle real bad, and when you put that together with my other leg being no good and my back too…well, as Norman Gunston used to say, It was the straw that broke the camel's wind.
And then came the depression…
Anyway, going good now. Had a big operation on my back a year ago, and although I won't be mowing any more, I have a lot less pain, and life's pretty good.
I write novels now, believe it or not.
Recently had my first book published, and as it features a lawn mowing man who gets up to some pretty funny stuff (it's a bit like The 40 Year Old Virgin, or Crazy Stupid Love, but a lot more Aussie), a mate told me I should get on here and put a bit of it up in the Jokes R Us section. But I thought, maybe that's against the rules or something, so I didn't.
But thought I'd come on and say g'day anyway.
Good to see many of you still here helping each other out.

NLALM
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Mate its good to hear from you. I have often thought that a real good aussie comedy movie could be made about a lawn mower man you know the way they did Kenny I reckon it would be a goer,

PaulG
03-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Hey Huge, good to read your post. Don't think I've seen a post from you in the few years I've been on the forum.

Where can we buy your novel? Sounds like it would be a good read.

I'm sure Dean wouldn't mine a few excerpts posted up somewhere on the forum. :)

Paul

Christine Wharton
04-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Life goes on, and so do we, one day at a time. I'm still out there mowing lawns, and doing the edges etc as well these days now as my husband/partner has an office job now and can only help me after hours and on the weekend. We've got the business up for sale, so we'll see what the new year holds. I have lots of catching up to do on the home front ;)

administrator
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi guys…I had a great time around this forum a few years back. There were some smart and funny people here, always good for a laugh as well as it being a great place to learn how to do everything related to the work, and I've recommended it to plenty a mowing bloke I've met since.
Reason I've been gone? A few reasons. I busted an ankle real bad, and when you put that together with my other leg being no good and my back too…well, as Norman Gunston used to say, It was the straw that broke the camel's wind.
And then came the depression…
Anyway, going good now. Had a big operation on my back a year ago, and although I won't be mowing any more, I have a lot less pain, and life's pretty good.
I write novels now, believe it or not.
Recently had my first book published, and as it features a lawn mowing man who gets up to some pretty funny stuff (it's a bit like The 40 Year Old Virgin, or Crazy Stupid Love, but a lot more Aussie), a mate told me I should get on here and put a bit of it up in the Jokes R Us section. But I thought, maybe that's against the rules or something, so I didn't.
But thought I'd come on and say g'day anyway.
Good to see many of you still here helping each other out.

You go for it mate id like to know where you can buy novel to . Good to see you have got rid of black dog mines gone to took 10 years lol .

geoff
04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
maybe we could place an order thorough his web page??

PhilG
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Put me down for a copy. Always looking for a good holiday read.

Mick
04-12-2013, 06:01 PM
How about writing (or cut n paste) the first chapter onto a thread, over a few weeks?
Im sure you an Dean could come to some sort of arrangement for it.

Is there an ebook?

Hugh Jarss
04-12-2013, 08:42 PM
[/ATTACH]6933
You go for it mate id like to know where you can buy novel to . Good to see you have got rid of black dog mines gone to took 10 years lol .

Hard to get rid of, that dog. He tends to come back for another bite sometimes too, hey…

Not sure if I should put a short extract up or not. I mean, there's an early chapter where Wally first meets his lawn mowing man, but as Wally is asleep and naked in the bushes, and copping the whippy cord on the behind, there's kind of a lot of swearing going on.
If anyone wants to read it, they can use the Look Inside The Book feature on Amazon though, and read the first 10% of the book without even buying it.
And if you still don't think it's the most disgusting piece of poo ever flung from the end of a whipper snipper, you can buy the ebook or a print copy from there.
Actually, I talked to the publisher today, and they agreed to drop the price for the next week or so.
So, the ebook's usually only $4 anyway, but right now you can grab it for a dollar.
But if you want a print copy, it'll set you back about 15 bucks, plus Amazon will skin you alive, another 10 bucks for the postage.

So yeah, it's a few hours cheap entertainment for a dollar at the moment. And for anyone who doesn't realise it, you can read an ebook on any ipad or smartphone or computer — you just download the Kindle app when you buy the book.

Just one thing. When you see it, it might look a bit girlie. It has to, because it's mostly women that buy books. But anyone who's not a total wowser's going to enjoy it, and I haven't met too many of those on the end of a lawn mower.

Thanks for showing interest, guys. Here's a link, hope it works.
http://amzn.to/1bTUUs0

Mick
04-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Done but, it better be good! Sheesh, an entire dollar! ;)

AJD Mowing
05-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Good onya Hugh for having a go. Hope its a best seller...

Hugh Jarss
08-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Hey, thanks to whoever bought the book or told someone about it.
Well, someone must have, because esterday it got up to a ranking of 10,000 on the Amazon.com ebook bestseller list, and it's still in the top 20,000 now, which puts it in the top 1% of all books in the store.
Not bad for a first book from an old mowing bloke who can't pull the cord any more…
Let me know what you think once you've read it.

jd
09-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Is the book still available?