PDA

View Full Version : Pop up impact sprinkler help

SM MOWING
18-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Got a client who has four of these, the right and left stopper clip doesnt lock so when the head rotates it pushes the stopper around and turnes a 180d sprinkler into a 360d sprinkler within a matter of minutes. can this be fixed, the clips are plastic. not sure of brand as its worn off the lid. dont really want to replace the whole unit as they are expensive and cant leave it as the customer does want to be woken up at 2am with the sound of sprinkler water hitting their window!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Are you talking about pgp sprinklers

If it is unfortantly grit gets in them and breaks the gears and they just spin and spin same thing if the top is cut off. Got two at home here i have to replace cause of this.

SM MOWING
18-10-2012, 11:01 PM
5620 like this one but different brand

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-10-2012, 11:59 PM
5620 like this one but different brand

Ok ive seen them before but never actually delt with them i would just go into a irrigation shop explain who you are and im sure they would be happy to help.

brodie
19-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Had this a few times and took me a while to figure it out. There is a groove that the metal stopper clips sit in, sometimes this gets some grit in it.

The first one I had was a simple clean out and re install the clips, the second was a replacement of the impact head itself as the client bent the clips and damage the groove.

Simplest solution is to take the unit out and run it down to the supply shop, otherwise it could be a few wasted trips trying to get all the parts.

If the rotors should be the same brand throughout the system and also the controller if the actual unit no longer has a branding on it.

Kathryn
19-10-2012, 07:40 AM
when you replace it tell the customer you will put a piece of pvc around the sprinkler to help keep dirt away from moving parts. only need to be a bit bigger than the sprinkler in circumference and place it level with the ground. the pop up will rise above it. ive mmade a bit of money installing these for customers and it really extends the life of the sprinkler, especially if its sandy soil.
i get my pipe from the dump

DavidS
19-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Even easier, just reprogram the irrigation system to go off at say 7am the the owner won't be woken up LOL. Yeah take whole unit with you so you can get right parts.

Darcmate
20-10-2012, 08:54 AM
if the brand has worn off then chances are that the rest of the head will soon wear out completely, the PGP ones that tenderlovin put up are good reliable heads, just replace them IMO then your clients will have peace of mind. about $15-20 a head not too deer. putting pvc around the heads will protect them somewhat, but then you end up with a big circle hole in the ground. the only time I have had trouble with sand in hunter heads is where I have them in an actual sand pit (dog track runoff).

Stripes
20-10-2012, 03:49 PM
It's probably a Rainbird Maxipaw.
As the others have said I would change them all to PGP's or something similar. You can choose the nozzle that best suits your distance required. The PGP's are much quieter than the Maxi paws and won't have the issue of grass getting in there and messing up the working parts.
There is a filter in the bottom of the PGP where the debris can be cleaned out from as well. If sand is a problem with scoring the sprinkler, a sprinkler with a stainless steel stem will be much better. Bit more coin though.