PDA

View Full Version : More harm than good

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
19-10-2012, 12:04 AM
I dont advertise any prices tried it when i first started and found as you said people wanting too much for the price. I wont even give a pice on the phone most the time cause you get there and find there three weeks since last mow is actually more like 3 months

Dazz1
19-10-2012, 12:35 AM
OK, Time to get this off my chest! in my humble,
The "lawns cut from $5" and "Cheap lawn mowing" ads and even the "from $20" ads may get you a few extra calls when your starting up but the way i see it, all it is really doing is giving an unrealistic idea of prices in some clients heads and holding back profit growth for all of us!
I tried the "cheap" ads myself and got lots of calls but most of them wanted a days work for 1/2 an hours pay and just wasted my time on the phone or on quotes, and the jobs i did get from the ads were almost always rental clean up jobs with no chance of ongoing income or up sell from the client.
I now have from $40 on my ads and website and the PITA calls have almost stopped and have turned almost all of my new jobs into ongoing regs, even the rentals!
If you want to make a living out of rental cleanup's , and some people make good money from it! just say it in your ad, you don't need to go bottom trawling with the "cheap" ads (not having a go at anyone)
I think as ILMCOA we should have the pride and belief in our own business to be able to advertise a realistic price range and not treat the public as fools.

Stump
19-10-2012, 01:42 AM
I am a firm believer in using a firm offer in all of my ads. Price based ads will always catch peoples attention before the generic "we do this,...and we do that" type ad. Offer base ads dont need to be cheap,...just percieved to be great value for money.
I agree that using "from" ads create suspicion, and IMO putting a negative thought in the readers head. I know that i am wary of that kind of ad.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
19-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I am a firm believer in using a firm offer in all of my ads. Price based ads will always catch peoples attention before the generic "we do this,...and we do that" type ad. Offer base ads dont need to be cheap,...just percieved to be great value for money.
I agree that using "from" ads create suspicion, and IMO putting a negative thought in the readers head. I know that i am wary of that kind of ad.

I agree 100%. The only way to get a readers attention is to offer what is in it for them... "we do this, we do that" is rubbish and over done.

What a reader really wants is one thing.. what can you do for them (paint a picture) and give them an offer they can't refuse (doesn't even need to be monetry).

On the flip side... Using the from $20 and $30 etc can work very well to get the phone to ring (there is no doubing that) and I have actually used this technique previously and sold the real benefits over the phone to prepare them for when when i'm quoting them face to face. A few from that batch have turned into really good regular clients (but needed to be nurtured and guided as to when they should rebook etc).

I also find ones that have busted mowers etc are my ideal client... 99% of the time i convert them to an ongoing service and to save there money and time than going out to buy a new mower, whipper snipper, blower, 2 stroke fuel and the time it takes them to perform the work. Once they say, wow your really quick and it looks great... it is signed, sealed and delivered!

Dazz1 - I suggest you don't get worked up about your competition (low ballers, indies or jims) everyone has a different price point and different business plan, some will work and some will fail. Instead focus on your business and your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) and find out what works best for your local market. In layman terms, why should people call you? the caller should know what you have got to offer them and also expect the results of what you are offering them.

Simmo.

Dazz1
19-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Dazz1 - I suggest you don't get worked up about your competition (low ballers, indies or jims) everyone has a different price point and different business plan, some will work and some will fail. Instead focus on your business and your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) and find out what works best for your local market. In layman terms, why should people call you? the caller should know what you have got to offer them and also expect the results of what you are offering them.

Simmo.
Simmo
I think you missed my point or maybe i wasn't clear! I'm not worked up about my competition and I'm doing OK but almost every day you can log on to this forum and the members area and someone is going on about being undercut or not being able to charge what they want. I just think if we want the industry as a whole to prosper we shouldn't encourage the el-cheapo advertising but give the sort of advice you just gave me.

19-10-2012, 11:22 PM
You were clear and I got your point. Maybe i wasn't clear, I'll try again and be straight to the point.

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing (or whinging about)... It is irrelevent to your business! Just focus on your particular business.

Quick example - you mentioned from $40... those that are from $50 are thinking your a low baller! Those from $60 think $50 is low balling!

Lets take the grocery industry for another example - Coles, Woolworths, IGA, ALDI and a 7/11 store.

All 5 businesses are targeting different markets - All are very successful in there own right!

Woolworths ( focus on a premium service, most expensive supermarket, offer fresh foods and always introducing new idea's and leading the industry)
Coles (focus on lower prices for branded products, currently have rapid growth and increased marketshare in the industry)
ALDI (focus on unknown branded products, very competitive in price)
IGA ( owner operators, focus on customer service and convienience)
7/11 Convienient store (actually open 24/7, very expensive to purchase everyday products)

Does woolworths care about Aldi (King of low ballers) entering the market? My opinion is No, they have continued to focus on what they do best - offering a premium service - the have since introduced, home shop (home delivery to your door same day), they are starting to implement a drive through pick up service, upgrade there stores and offer a greater range, purchased petrol stations to offer discounts and remained market leaders etc etc

Coles has also started to lowball... and started the down down campaign... this has helped Coles gain marketshare. Does woolworths care? In my opinion, No, they are still know they are the market leaders and have had great growth with record PROFITS!

Woolworths focuses purely on their core business... (they work out the numbers that work for them!) Coles usually follows there foot steps and can also implement plenty of there own idea's too (coles does currently advertise very very well and could be a threat to woolworths) but is still behind Woolworths overall.

Woolworths doesn't care about IGA or a convienient store either.

Woolworths focuses on offering value for money and they promote there business the best (to the current marketplace in Australia).

Don't be a Franklins that is No frills and doesn't evolve with the marketplace.

Let me ask you this... if you could generate 5 new clients every week (1 a day) for the next 52 weeks at your ideal price, would you really care about low ballers (or more specific, people whinging about low ballers)? If the answer is like i would answer (NO) then focus on the core problem which is to generate the 250 clients (thats right, 250 clients) and don't waste unneccesary energy on what everyone else is doing.

I know if i need more customers, I just advertise. I know that I am getting better exposure and getting more enquiries than most of my local comrades. Does this surprise me? Nope. I advertise harder and I work my business smarter.

Another problem is listening to - Oh, it's the economy. Its rubbish, a smart business owner will create there own economy. Real life example - I have created a way to advertise and actually get paid for the previledge to promote my own mowing business (and other businesses for that matter) that's right, I get paid everytime I advertise and promote my business.

If you want to own a "woolworths" or "7-11 store" and charge top dollar - then you need to become a marketing expert for your "niche" business and offer something DIFFERENT to those who particularly want this service. It need to be evolving and continue to break all the rules.

Sorry to go way off topic but it's the only way i can think to make it clearer to the point I was trying to make.

So, every single lowballer has a right to advertise... Imagine woolworths sugessting that Aldi and coles are to cheap:laughing:

So why do we choose do it (and other trades etc)... Is it just an excuse? Is it a reason to be lasy? Is it fear of failure?

There are plenty of customers out there and plenty of successful mowing contractors if you know how to attract customers!

And remember, whatever you focus on will progress and whatever you neglect will Regress.

My advice.... focus on evolving your business and neglect your competition!

Simmo.

glassngrass
20-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Sound advice Simmo. Further to that, rather than market on price, market on value, reliability, quality and enjoy better pricing and a better 'type' of customer.
If you choose to focus on the budget end of the market - I found this is where the majority of 'difficult' and reluctant paying clients come from.

GrowCutMow
20-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Great advice Simmo. Well written and easy to read and understand.

Dazz1
20-10-2012, 08:47 AM
If you choose to focus on the budget end of the market - I found this is where the majority of 'difficult' and reluctant paying clients come from.
This is the whole point I'm tring to make, but many people are advising newbies to go after the bottom of the market, I get the feeling that some on this forum are worried about new competitors and try to give them advise that will keep them at the bottom. We should be helping people aim a bit higher! Never sell yourself short.

Dazz1
20-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Quick example - you mentioned from $40... those that are from $50 are thinking your a low baller! Those from $60 think $50 is low balling!

Simmo.
The thing is $40 even $30 are realistic prices for both the customer and the operator (for a small job in some areas)$5 isn't.
I don't care if people offer a price less than mine but when it somthing thats just stupid :i dunno:

20-10-2012, 10:47 AM
The thing is $40 even $30 are realistic prices for both the customer and the operator (for a small job in some areas)$5 isn't.
I don't care if people offer a price less than mine but when it somthing thats just stupid :i dunno:

I agree with that point... and there was another thread where I said it wasn't the smartest way to advertise.

To my knowledge, When you become a lifetime member you recieve a business manual... Lawn Mowing: Fastrak To Success 2nd Edition which has been mentioned it contains an example ad to advertise from $4... (Please note: this is hearsay as i have never read it before and I could be wrong)

My whole example is - The from $4 could have worked well 5, 10, 15, 25 years ago... When marketing you need to be evolving and doing something different.

Become a leader, re-write the rule book and don't copy everyone else as it is usually overdone (unless it is a brilliant new concept).

Just to add... to some business owners - A $4 lawns is ok if there 2- 4 mins to do and 20 jobs in a row, I remember someone experienced on here does some of these. So again, it is realistic to some business owners. Not mine :wave-hi:

BTW - not trying to have a go at you (hope it hasn't come across as it has) just advising a different view point that everyone business owner has.

Simmo.

Chris B
20-10-2012, 11:45 AM
so where's the best place to shop? :)

Redeye
20-10-2012, 11:50 AM
this is a flyer I had printed recently (Vistaprint) I'm going to try

Fred's mowing
20-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Sound advice Simmo. Further to that, rather than market on price, market on value, reliability, quality and enjoy better pricing and a better 'type' of customer.

Agree 100%.
Someone asked where the big money is in this game, its in the WEALTHY areas!
Give them the SERVICE that they want & MOST are happy to pay, the others are easily culled.
Sound easy??? Now do it!:magic
Cheers Fred.

Chris B
20-10-2012, 11:56 AM
i like that flyer... selling the benefits... not telling everyone what you do (like mine :) )

seliment
20-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Simmo,
Your article is excellent.
What are you doing mowing lawns...
Your commentary is as good or better than you will get from 'consultants' who ask $1k per day!

Wyadra
20-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I've seen that one on Vistaprint Redeye. I would change 'estimate' to quote and reword it to all year or something, rather than summer. If you can.

20-10-2012, 02:07 PM
this is a flyer I had printed recently (Vistaprint) I'm going to try

I would love to know the results you get... definately different to 99% of ads out there!

It seems as though you know your specific target market and know how to solve there problems. I would assume this would be typical for most parts of the country.

It would be interesting to test and measure a few different versions of this add with minor changes...

Instead of - Call 0404040404 for a free estimate

I would have...

To make a booking contact Redeye on 0404040404

The only reason why i say this is you have already asked them for you to take care of there lawn... the natural next step is to make a booking and for you to come out with tools in your hand (you obviously quote when you arrive).

Now you will have to distribute the flyers and let the public decided how effective it is :i dunno:

Simmo.

Stripes
20-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I would forget about the cheapo mower guys and create a niche market where I believe the big money is. Whether it be hedging, cylinder mowing, pre-sale cleanups, acreage etc. Concentrate on one thing and do it very well. Be reliable, well presented and charge good coin. Get a reputation as being the company required in your area for that task. Make sure you have all the equipment and backup(s) equipment for what you need. Instead of trying to have all different equipment for every possible task, throw your money at one thing and subbie out the rest when required.
Forget about mowing rubbish lawns once every 6 weeks for $50. Chase the quality but give the clients exactly what they want and don't muck them around. That is the biggest gripe people have from my experience.

Scooby Steve
20-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Sound advice yourself David short sweet and to the point.

Stripes
20-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Great advice...

Would you suggest a new operator to buy all equipment and do all jobs they get until they know what they like doing or know what they are good at or even know the local market wants?

Also, should they still do standard mowing and take ordinary work (and miss out on the opportunity cost of niche work) or purely focus on marketing there niche market?

Simmo.
If the new operator has no experience in this field then they probably need to buy equipment to do a bit of everything until they find their feet and workout what they are best at, and to gain some experience and skills. If they are someone who is experienced, it is probably better to target the niche from the start as they know what their strengths are.

As far as taking on ordinary work, they may have to in the beginning so they have the income coming in, but slowly cull those jobs as they build their niche market.

Edit: The posts seem to be out of order again...

20-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Simmo,
Your commentary is as good or better than you will get from 'consultants' who ask $1k per day!

I appreciate your comments. Why do i mow lawns is a question i do get asked quite regularly - It's an easy and cost effective way to generate a steady stream of cash flow, i have "GRAND PLANS" to expand the business and more importantly a great way for me to stay fit and maintain my weight with working flexible hours.

I currently own other businesses though - I own a marketing company which focuses on print media (flyers, business cards, magnets, newspaper, magazines, catalogues, newsletters, direct mail) and just starting to really implement direct response marketing techniques... When i have spare time i do offer consulting to selected business owners however, It is usually very time consuming and can be difficult for people to implement the idea's. I mainly focus on mentoring 6 business owners (I find this more rewarding and creates more value for both business owner and myself).

I have also just started a monthly networking event for small business owners in Sydney's west (mainly for Business 2 Consumers B2C which is rarely done as most are B2B focused... So I help - retail shops (hair dresser, beauty salon, gym, resturants etc, professional services (real estate, pre school, tutoring business, medical services) and also trade services (plumber, electrician, lawn mowing :) painter) etc. The networking is so local businesses can create synergies, joint ventures and alliances to be part of a group with like minded individuals that want to succeed in the work/lifestyle balance.

I will also be incorporating a daily email (world wide) that i will be doing everyday to subscribers to help assist with starting and growing a small business... things like day to day operations, systems, with a strong focus on marketing and sales to implementing new idea's and change the way people think. The idea of this email is to have contact with someone on a daily basis (Monday to friday) so your not going it alone in business.

And the thought of $1K per day for consulting would be nice... but i'm confident that i am on the path to make alot more mowing when everything is set up. To be honest, I don't even think about $$$, I do things that i'm passionate about and the money will follow.

Your income will be in the direct proportion to how many people you help. More people you help, the more you will recieve.

Simmo.

20-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Simmo,

I appreciate your comments. Why do i mow lawns is a question i do get asked quite regularly - It's an easy and cost effective way to generate a steady stream of cash flow, i have "GRAND PLANS" to expand the business and more importantly a great way for me to stay fit and maintain my weight with working flexible hours.

I currently own other businesses though - I own a marketing company which focuses on print media (flyers, business cards, magnets, newspaper, magazines, catalogues, newsletters, direct mail) and just starting to really implement direct response marketing techniques... When i have spare time i do offer consulting to selected business owners however, It is usually very time consuming and can be difficult for people to implement the idea's. I mainly focus on mentoring 6 business owners (I find this more rewarding and creates more value for both business owner and myself).

I have also just started a monthly networking event for small business owners in Sydney's west (mainly for Business 2 Consumers B2C which is rarely done as most are B2B focused... So I help - retail shops (hair dresser, beauty salon, gym, resturants etc, professional services (real estate, pre school, tutoring business, medical services) and also trade services (plumber, electrician, lawn mowing :) painter) etc. The networking is so local businesses can create synergies, joint ventures and alliances to be part of a group with like minded individuals that want to succeed in the work/lifestyle balance.

I will also be incorporating a daily email (world wide) that i will be doing everyday to subscribers to help assist with starting and growing a small business... things like day to day operations, systems, with a strong focus on marketing and sales to implementing new idea's and change the way people think. The idea of this email is to have contact with someone on a daily basis (Monday to friday) so your not going it alone in business.

And the thought of $1K per day for consulting would be nice... but i'm confident that i am on the path to make alot more mowing when everything is set up. To be honest, I don't even think about $$$, I do things that i'm passionate about and the money will follow.

Your income will be in the direct proportion to how many people you help. More people you help, the more you will recieve.

Simmo.

20-10-2012, 05:43 PM
I would forget about the cheapo mower guys and create a niche market where I believe the big money is. Whether it be hedging, cylinder mowing, pre-sale cleanups, acreage etc. Concentrate on one thing and do it very well. Be reliable, well presented and charge good coin. Get a reputation as being the company required in your area for that task. Make sure you have all the equipment and backup(s) equipment for what you need. Instead of trying to have all different equipment for every possible task, throw your money at one thing and subbie out the rest when required.
Forget about mowing rubbish lawns once every 6 weeks for $50. Chase the quality but give the clients exactly what they want and don't muck them around. That is the biggest gripe people have from my experience.

Great advice...

Would you suggest a new operator to buy all equipment and do all jobs they get until they know what they like doing or know what they are good at or even know the local market wants?

Also, should they still do standard mowing and take ordinary work (and miss out on the opportunity cost of niche work) or purely focus on marketing there niche market?

Simmo.

fairdinkum
20-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I'd just like to add to or re-iterate what others have suggested....In the simplest terms....whatever you do, DO IT WELL! And be nice to people. It's amazing how much difference these two little things make in business....and in life. If you make a good impression with your work and your attitude word will get around. People know people!