PDA

View Full Version : Sole trader stuffed HELP ??

simo
21-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi All
For the last 3 weeks I have been limping around with a stuffed hip joint and lower back, been to the doctor, several times, had CT, ultra sounds, X rays the lot and all the doc has done for me so far is prescription drugs that just make me tired.. The grass is brown have not had good rain for donkeys so it`s a bit like extended winter for work
But getting worried as I`am finding It hard to get push mowing and other heavy jobs done
So do I employ someone, Sub another lawnie (that I know Well) and give him 100% profit, or just put people off till I`am either better or sell up the customers that are hard work about 30%???
Anyone else been in this situation as a sole trader, Would like to here how it went ..Thanks :)

South East Mowing
21-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi All
For the last 3 weeks I have been limping around with a stuffed hip joint and lower back, been to the doctor, several times, had CT, ultra sounds, X rays the lot and all the doc has done for me so far is prescription drugs that just make me tired.. The grass is brown have not had good rain for donkeys so it`s a bit like extended winter for work
But getting worried as I`am finding It hard to get push mowing and other heavy jobs done
So do I employ someone, Sub another lawnie (that I know Well) and give him 100% profit, or just put people off till I`am either better or sell up the customers that are hard work about 30%???
Anyone else been in this situation as a sole trader, Would like to here how it went ..Thanks :)

Simo, get help from another lawnie you know well. I usually just let them do the work for 100% but if it is going to be for an extended period of time I am sure you could work out a deal with them.

Also get some professional help from someone like a good chiropractor. Maybe even acupuncture. A few years ago my back was stuffed and eventually found a chiro after visiting 3 of them. Had scans etc organised by him and found nothing serious except for age related wear and tear and a couple of minor problems. He also did acupuncture but I only had it when it was really bad. I can now see him for any muscular/joint related problem on my monthly visit.
Just realised my last monthly visit was July:laughing:

Mick
21-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Beginning of last season I was hurting bad, like you, hip, lower back etc etc and started going to a Chiro. Made a huge difference but it is an ongoing thing. Its not a one off visit so cost can add up.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
21-10-2012, 11:54 AM
This is a problem many sole traders have... My neighbour recently has spent 4 weeks in hospital (with zero income coming in) so I have been thinking about this.

As a business owner it just goes to show the difference of working for yourself (income each day) and having a profitable business that pays you an income and also dividends.

My advice would be to get someone to do it and go with them.

1. You can see exactly what is being done.
2. You don't need to pay the "whole" amount.. So you will make a profit.
3. It will give you time to reflect on your business and re-evaluate things.

You could hire a uni student, some that has just completed there HSC or someone doing tafe for example or a few hours a day.

I would take this process as a valuable lesson which may infact improve your overall business.

What would you do if you need 3 months off... Learn now and prepare for the worst.

Good luck with your recovery and let us know what you decide!

Simmo.

simo
21-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Been in the game since 2000 fulltime and a few parttime before that, Never Had more than 2-3 days off work sick, But in the past 3 weeks just been going out and doing the ones that really need it 3-4 a day with 3 or 4 days of over the weekends hopeing by the next week I`ll be better..I`am not one to sit still and am over it....
Might give a local lawnie a call if not better this week..and give a chiro a go at it after I see the local GP again....
Thanks for the thoughts and info...

simo
21-10-2012, 04:46 PM
double post :knob and whats the go with your post PaulG 21/10/2012 and was posted before this one :confused:

PaulG
21-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Looks like the forum is playing up differently for each of us. Looking at it here my post is last with two of your more recent ones showing up before mine!

PaulG
21-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi All
For the last 3 weeks I have been limping around with a stuffed hip joint and lower back, been to the doctor, several times, had CT, ultra sounds, X rays the lot and all the doc has done for me so far is prescription drugs that just make me tired..

I feel for you mate.

This is how I am every single day of my life due to my chronic illness and associated problems and I'm only 39.

jas
21-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi Simo.

I pinched a nerve in my neck in June, and I did not work for 5 weeks. Lucky it was in thru winter. If it was summer I would of just had to shut up shop.

Same situation, doctors visits, physio, still didn't clear itself. The doctor then put me on the waiting list for the waiting list to see the orthopedic doc in Brisbane.

After no income coming in, spent my holiday savings, took a big chunk out of my rainy day savings, i Needed to get back to work, lucky customers rang up to see what was happen to me, most of them were great, and said they were quit happy to wait till I get back on track again, and some asked if I didn't mind in getting someone else till I was up and going again.

So I started just doing around 2 or 3 jobs a day, I had a mate Help me 1 day a week for the bigger jobs, I eventually started doing a few more jobs a day, When I felt stronger
I even adjusted things I did, I started using bullhorns and a harness which took off alot of strain

The pinch has finally cleared it self I hope, I have had no pins and needles or numbness in my arm or hand for nearly 4 weeks, but I still have niggley pain in the shoulder and back.

When you are suddenly hit with a life changing situation, it make you rethink, I know I need to get Private health coverage, and when I get up more financially I will be looking at some form of income protection, I don't want to get in this type of situation again. Its to scary!!

geoff1969
21-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Looks like the forum is playing up differently for each of us. Looking at it here my post is last with two of your more recent ones showing up before mine!

forums been like it for a long time = from my end anyhow ... wont let me log in and when it dose = wont let me log out etc , try to post things it wont let me a lot of the time or it just runs out of time to submit post ..... im a member of several forums but its only the indy forum i have problems with = thats why i usualy just give the forum a miss .....

Blaktop
21-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I have had pain in both hips now for about 6 years and a bad back since I was 18 (I'm 58 now)......not to mention two dicky knees (3 arthroscopies between them). If I don't get the exercise that I get from mowing I just seize up....that was part of the reason for getting back into the game.....physical exercise.

TomS
21-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I reckon if you are pretty crook it'd be best to lend your regulars to another lawnie for a set period, if you didn't want to sell the round. It'd be worth something to a new entrant with capacity, and somthing to you to maintain the asset.

Don't underestimate the time recovery takes, particularly after operations. My surgeon said any surgery takes a year to recover from totally. I said how come he said i'd be ok after 6 weeks? He said I said that to make you feel better.

If you do lend the round out, go around with the guy once, then leave him alone. If he's any good he'll do a good job. This idea of sitting in the ute doing quality control with your arm in a sling won'r work: blokes get into this because they want to be their own boss. Or if they don't they probably won't be much chop.

Tom

brodie
21-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a few people that have posted here are getting injured and having to have time off without any sort of pay. I ask respectfully why is there no insurance policies in place for such a situation.

I know it costs a bit per year but it seems well worth it in the event of an accident.

I know my policy pays out on both work and recreation and covers my wage and a little extra to hire someone in. It's a little piece of mind for me that my bills still get paid and my customers are being looked after.

brodie
21-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Who are you with for that policy Brodie? When I'm crook I just keep working no matter what but I do take a day off occasionally to just rest. If I had to have another operation or had a badly injured ankle, knee etc I be in real trouble. I have to scrape up enough to just afford liability insurance let alone injury/disabilty insurance.

Granted its not the cheapest thing to have cant quote any figures nor will I on a public forum but its good piece of mind. Like you I work through most things however recently I broke some ribs and had to take some time off. I was off for a month and from the day of the injury to the day I went back to work I was paid out.

I'm with combined insurance at the moment but have been looking elsewhere as I'm not entirely satisfied with the way I was treated by the phone support when I called in to claim.

Honestly when we signed up I thought the same thing I can't afford this but I encourage you to at least get a few prices. Most offer monthly instalments or at the very least 6 monthly.

brodie
21-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Who are you with for that policy Brodie? When I'm crook I just keep working no matter what but I do take a day off occasionally to just rest. If I had to have another operation or had a badly injured ankle, knee etc I be in real trouble. I have to scrape up enough to just afford liability insurance let alone injury/disabilty insurance.

Granted its not the cheapest thing to have cant quote any figures nor will I on a public forum but its good piece of mind. Like you I work through most things however recently I broke some ribs and had to take some time off. I was off for a month and from the day of the injury to the day I went back to work I was paid out.

I'm with combined insurance at the moment but have been looking elsewhere as I'm not entirely satisfied with the way I was treated by the phone support when I called in to claim.

Honestly when we signed up I thought the same thing I can't afford this but I encourage you to at least get a few prices. Most offer monthly instalments or at the very least 6 monthly.

PaulG
21-10-2012, 10:42 PM

Blaktop
22-10-2012, 05:25 AM
My public liability, sickness & accident insurance combined costs me a bit over $100 a month.......2 lawns. Never used used it.....but it's there.