PDA

View Full Version : what ride on do you use and why

head1956
22-11-2012, 08:04 AM
I use a husqvarna lawn tractor domestic 20hp 42" cut on most of my jobs because as with all acreages there are some steeper sections as well as flat going. I have used a ztr on most of these jobs and found the tractor more stable (ie: safer) , a bit slower, does the same job as the ztr etc. The huskie has over 500 hours on it, cost me 4 grand new and hopefully will go for another 1000 hours or so problem free. I use the Hustler on a couple of flat blocks because they are good around trees
If I had to choose one mower I would go for a new huskie tractor, fabricated deck (42") with a diff lock for about $4500
Thats my choice and I know it won't appeal to all but I was wondering why so many lawnies love zero's for. I know they are a good mower but after using both I've found zero's have their limitations and safety seems the biggie as well as cost

Andy B
22-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I had my eye on the same ones, then winter hit... maybe next year.

Blaktop
23-11-2012, 06:26 AM
I prefer a ZTR for speed and manueverability. I have some quite steep sections on some of my jobs and have never felt unstable or unsafe. I have one job that takes me 2 hours solid on the ZTR....it used to take the owner almost 4 hours on his Toro tractor.....in that time I can earn another $100-$150......time is money.

holdenhead
23-11-2012, 11:11 PM
The smaller ztr's are a little unstable on hills but have no issues on hills with the 60inch. There are limits obviously but not sure a tractor could mow the slopes that I have been unable to mow with the zero. You need big fat tyres and wide stance on a zero and should have no probs. My opinion is that tractors are to slow and need lots of room to get around.

Valley Lawnmowing
24-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Toro G3 52 inch is my weapon of choice at the moment, Really impressed at the way it handles the slopes, fuel tank is located under the seat area which makes all the difference. Just have know your machines limits , Rideons will roll over where as a zero will slide before it tips.

head1956
24-11-2012, 06:34 AM
I find the hustler is bit quicker on flat to slightly steeper ground but the tractor is a lot more stable on the steep stuff and gives a better result cause I find the z tends to chop lawns up a bit if it loses traction. Overall they both do a good job but I reckon that new huskie with the lock diff would suit what I've been doing quite well just have to justify another mower. My hustler is only a 42" and I haven"t tried anything bigger so that may be the problem but with budget restaints a bigger ztr ain't on the cards soon

simo
24-11-2012, 07:47 AM
All depends on its use..
I have a husky r18 rider for domestic, great for getting around small yards and quick enough for the bigest corner blocks, best of all dedicated mulcher.......
But would look at a zt with catcher if dumping grass was free and easy..

sterlo
24-11-2012, 07:58 AM
All depends on its use..
I have a husky r18 rider for domestic, great for getting around small yards and quick enough for the bigest corner blocks, best of all dedicated mulcher.......
But would look at a zt with catcher if dumping grass was free and easy..

+1 for the rider........

Sterlo

holdenhead
24-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Head, the fact that yours is a 42inch is the issue. I have a 44inch ztr that gets a bit dodgy on slopes although have not been in a situation where I thought it was gonna roll over just sliding probs. I have a cox before and was not real confident on slopes with it. Lifted the front wheel off the ground a few times on slopes that were not that sleep. The 60 inch ztr easily does those same slopes. Like I said fat tyres and wide stance helps alot. Chopping up the turf can be a problem if care is not taken.

Blaktop
24-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I have a 42" Ariens and like I said, I have some quite steep stuff that I go up, pivot and straight down again....never felt remotely like it's going over. If it's a bit wet I can't do it as I lose traction. Since I couldn't justify 2 mowers when I bought mine I went for the ZTR......and so far I have no jobs that make me regret the choice. Having said that prior to buying the Ariens I had done about 4 hours on a Honda tractor rideon and never driven a ZTR so I'm not the most experienced mower man around.......but I have driven various machinery most of my life....:)

South East Mowing
24-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Head, the fact that yours is a 42inch is the issue. I have a 44inch ztr that gets a bit dodgy on slopes although have not been in a situation where I thought it was gonna roll over just sliding probs. I have a cox before and was not real confident on slopes with it. Lifted the front wheel off the ground a few times on slopes that were not that sleep. The 60 inch ztr easily does those same slopes. Like I said fat tyres and wide stance helps alot. Chopping up the turf can be a problem if care is not taken.
+1, a lot of difference between my 34 inch Dixon and 48 Ferris which holds slopes well. The Hustler being bigger again also holds slopes well. I dont tend to push the boundaries though.

m287j
25-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I have a Dixon Speedztr 30 inch zero turn. Cost about $6,000 when i bought it, think you can get them for $5,500 now. Awesome mower, fast, gets into places most ride-on's won't, up slopes no problems, down big slopes no thanks, steep side slopes no way.
As a back-up i have a Greenfields 34 inch lawn tractor, not a fan of it, bought it second hand while the Dixon was out of action last year for a week, can't get used to the heel toe and it's slow and cumbersome.
Used to own a John Deere lawn tractor before the Dixon, was a good mower, slower than the Dixon and can't manoverve half as well.

bb1
25-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I do a lot of larger properties, a lot are in the hillier areas and some rough, so a JD 54" Diesel 4WD is ideal, being in some spots where i thought would be difficult, but just whack her into 4WD and no problems. She chews through some of the overgrown jobs with no problems.
Also a JD X300 42inch with a bagger for my body corps that want the grass caught

head1956
26-11-2012, 06:51 AM
A lot of you guys are operating on a different budget than I am. The gear I have gives me a choice what to use and fits the target market. I have a tractor / 5' slasher combo but that was bought for home use only and most larger blocks around here have their own tractor combo's so not a lot of work in that area I always wondered who bought the bigger/more expensive mowers at the mower shop (wouldn't mind giving one of those 4wd z's a go)

GAMS
06-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I have two machines, both Kubota. I have a ZTR - Kubota ZG 222 with a 48 inch deck, which I purchased brand new some months ago when they were being quite heavily discounted. Thoroughly in love with this machine - not only quicker than the tractor type, especially around trees and other obstacles, but gives a very nice cut. One particularly
sloping block I do, I find it more agile than the tractor type, and more stable. Second machine I have, for acreage properties, is a Kubota F 2860 with a 54 inch pro 3 front deck.
I recently bought this machine at auction with only 200 hours on the clock, and less than half of new price. It had come from a private estate property and was hardly marked.
Again a joy to use, but I intend to replace the front rotary deck with a 60 inch flail deck to make the machine more versatile. Why Kubota you may ask - I used to sell them in a past life so I am a little bit bias. Yeah, a lot of coin involved, but I hope it will pay dividends in the long term.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I've got a 60" cub cadet tank and a 32" cox lawnboss. The tank was a great buy at 10.5 g so got the cox aswell but now I wish I hadn't. Cant stand the 12 point turns to get around things. Good for getting into tight access but most jobs that I can use a rideon for I can get the 60" into. If I buy another big ztr I would make sure I have a good seat and a bigger engine as I find the 27hp is a bit weak with a 60" cut on longer stuff. Other than that the tank is built like a tank. Its fast and does a great cut on maintained lawns.

Oh would be nice to have a catcher on it too but at 3g's and being side mounted I'll get buy without it.

gcsmow
23-12-2012, 01:46 PM
ZTR all the way. An inexperienced operator may get in to trouble in steep areas but if you know what you are doing and don't push your luck you can do pretty much anything a tractor can but faster. Two options are a convertible ZTR or a Cub Cadet Tank S for better stability on banks (google and you tube them if you've never heard of them). My 60 inch ZTR would out mow 2 cox or Greenfield tractor ride ons and I would be willing to put money on it (same day, same grass, same obstacles one experienced ZTR operator Vs 2 experienced tractor operators.)

Lawn Mowing Professionals
23-12-2012, 04:45 PM
My 60 inch ZTR would out mow 2 cox or Greenfield tractor ride ons and I would be willing to put money on it (same day, same grass, same obstacles one experienced ZTR operator Vs 2 experienced tractor operators.)

I challenge you to a duel :laughing:

Simmo

DavidS
25-12-2012, 05:09 AM
I agree with GCS, after having a Cox and now my Hustler, I can do the same work in half the time it used to take me with the Cox. I still use the Cox as I have some lawns I can't get the Hustler through the gates. It is so much slower though. I use the Cox for towing my spray trailer as the heel/toe pedal free up the hands to hold a spray gun and turn switchs on and off quicker. Hustler is usless for this sort of work.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
25-12-2012, 09:46 PM
I challenge you to a duel :laughing:

Simmo

no hope ....I would put my ztr up against 2 cox's any day

gcsmow
25-12-2012, 09:56 PM
That would make a great you tube video.

Blaktop
26-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Uhoh.....do I see an annual lawn mower racing event coming up (thinks 300hp v8 powered ZTR).

PaulG
26-12-2012, 12:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7tNpe4NKU

Blaktop
26-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Nah.....you gotta cut grass while you're racing....:)

gcsmow
27-12-2012, 09:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7tNpe4NKU

That looks like a lot of fun. Even if you were coming last you would still be having fun :)

ian
28-12-2012, 09:07 AM
That looks like a lot of fun. Even if you were coming last you would still be having fun :)
just not as much as if you're coming first :)

gcsmow
28-12-2012, 09:20 AM
There's nothing wrong with coming last sometimes :)