PDA

View Full Version : does lemon and lime hebe flower?

great nature
22-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Just a quick question. has anyone used lemon and lime hebe before? need to know if it flowers. theres no info on the net.
ive got a new client that needs a drought tolerant look-alike to box hedge, that absolutely does not attract bees. only other thing i can think of is euonymus tom thumb, but i reckon the hebe has nicer foliage. they want them shaped into balls.

So yeah, does this hebe flower or does anyone know of any other box-like plants that dont flower.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Rae

urbanpatch
22-12-2012, 08:41 PM
If you are topiary or balling these, wont you be clipping any potential flowers anyhow?

grass cutter
22-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Nandina domestica nana

Common Name - Dwarf sacred bamboo - An evergreen dwarf shrub, Nandina has a brilliant eye catching colour year round. Nandina produces new red - green foliage turning to scarlet red. Requires very little maintenance.

can be trimed in to a hedge

great nature
22-12-2012, 09:02 PM
yeah, shes adamant about no flowers. its next to a pool and shes got kids. clipping them will be the fall back option.
we had it narrowed it down to nadina gulf stream and lomandra little con, but in the end they couldnt pick and went back to something box-like. (for the lush green look). i went and had a look and they will be surrounded by variagated pittos and glauca pencil pines, so the red might clash a bit.
cheers for your replies.

by the way. welcome to the forum grass cutter.:welcome

Lawn Mowing Professionals
22-12-2012, 09:36 PM
by the way. welcome to the forum grass cutter.:welcome

:laughing:

Grass cutter should be welcoming you to the forum... Member since July 2008!

Simmo.

great nature
22-12-2012, 09:55 PM
:laughing:

Grass cutter should be welcoming you to the forum... Member since July 2008!

Simmo.

Lol. I new ide seen that name before. Thought there might be two grass cutters out there. It said "Posts: 1" so the thoughtful side of me decided to welcome.

PaulG
22-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Ironically, Hebe 'Lemon & Lime' has a small mauve flower.

If you want something similar, but native, have a look at Westringia 'Aussie Box'. Great little shrub for small hedges as an alternative to Jap Box, English Box etc.
http://www.bestplants.com.au/native-shrubs-groundcovers/aussie-box.html

ian
23-12-2012, 07:28 AM
http://www.hellohello.com.au/products/plants/box-oz-lonicera.html

great nature
23-12-2012, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=PaulG;112358]Ironically, Hebe 'Lemon & Lime' has a small mauve flower.

your a legend paul.

ill offer them lonicera as an alternative. but i think the hebe will suit best. as urban said ill be cutting the flowers off anyway. i forgot to mention they are for very small planter boxes. thats why the box they had didnt survive. dried out to quickly. gonna use quality potting mix, peat and water crystals and get them to deep water to really get em going.

Thanks for all your help guys. Have a healthy and prosperous 2013.