PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Meat

LLM
23-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Hello to all!

After 6 months of part time lawn contracting/full time lurking the forum, I've finally become a member :wave-hi:
I'd like to start by saying a massive thank you to each and everyone of you for unknowingly helping me on my journey.
With a special thanks to Simmo (Greystanes), Stump and Bluey. Three very wise men.

I haven't been in the game very long, but am keen to share what knowledge I have gained through my experiences so far.

I started with an 18" cut Tecumseh push mower and a Yukon brush cutter working out of my sedan (who's interior suffered substantially over the following couple of months), I now have a pretty good setup of equipment all funded by the profits of the business. I have done this while working a full time job as a front end loader operator of a potting mix factory.

I am keen as mustard to take the full time plunge, but the timing won't be right until the time leading up to next spring.

If anybody is in a similar situation starting out I am here for advice.

Kind Regards,

Zac, 22yrs old, Mornington Peninsula

Lawn Mowing Professionals
23-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Hi Zac,

Welcome to the Forum... I would love to hear your journey and what you have learnt so far!

Simmo.

LLM
23-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Hello Simmo!

A brief summary of the things I have learnt so far would definitely include:-

-research Direct Response Marketing and what you can about advertising (Gary Halbert etc., literature Scientific Advertising by Claude C Hopkins, Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy, Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier; if anyone wants more suggestions just let me know), also how to write effective copy, I can suggest Joe Sugerman)

-for someone starting out with little to no mechanical knowledge and little experience with property maintenance equipment and can not be taught in person by someone, youtube and this forum are a wealth of knowledge with video walk-throughs and detailed explanations and advice

-research Search Engine Optimisation and apply it to your website.

-customer service is vital to the success of your business

-Do not buy equipment from evilBay unless you do not have the capital to purchase anything else, as it will most likely die

-Do not bother with Pay Per Click advertising, what little budget for advertising I had in the first two months was squandered away on a campaign that was even managed by a major company

-Instead do the aforementioned research and make some effective flyers and test there success.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I am in no way an expert in any of the mentioned areas but am a student learning that they are the way to go.

My story is basically these lessons learnt over the past 6 months while pursuing a promotion I received at my full time job. The promotion led me to knock on the door of a career in management. After experiencing nothing but empty promises and deceit from the people at the top I decided that if that was what I had to look forward to, working for myself and pursuing this new passion of mine was the way to go.

Zac

LLM
23-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Debco by chance?

Well done urbanpatch.

Do we know each other?

urbanpatch
23-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Debco by chance?

PhilG
24-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Hope you are doing garden maintenance and not just lawns. Not much to mow at the moment. The garden side of our business is doing well. Can't see how a lawnie would be doing very well at the moment. Timing will be essential to when you quit your full time job. I did this gig part-time for 9 years before I got a VRP. So don't rush into it.

LLM
24-01-2013, 04:11 AM
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the reply!
Yes most definitely am doing gardening as well as some light chainsaw work, vegetation clearance and greenwaste removal which have been good earners for me.
Diversifying is essential because as you said the grass isn't growing much at the moment.
I plan on expanding my equipment arsenal to include a pressure washer too so there's another form of work that is not so weather dependant

ian
24-01-2013, 09:48 PM
don't worry if the grass is growing or not :) i had a client ring me last night (Wednesday)he was worried because he had missed me and wanted to drop off the money and tell me how good the lawns looked :) i had to be honest and laugh and say that sadly i had planned to call in late Thursday to see if he wanted them cut as i didn't think they needed doing so now we have agreed on fortnightly mowing not weekly :( and unfortunately he didn't pay me for services not rendered

LLM
25-01-2013, 04:24 AM
:laughing:
At least them wanting to pay you for services not rendered is better than them not wanting to pay you for services have rendered!
That's a good client

great nature
25-01-2013, 06:39 PM
good on you zac, 22 and self-employed. wish i had have done that at your age. im a noob on the morn pen too and theres plenty of work to go around. where are you based? im slowly growing my client base and very occasionally get asked if i know someone that does lawns, as i only do gardening at the mo(stupid being a member of a lawn mowing site), so PM your mobile or business name if you like. id rather pass that work onto an indy. good luck in your future you young whippersnapper you..
Rae
Great nature gardening

LLM
25-01-2013, 07:18 PM
good on you zac, 22 and self-employed. wish i had have done that at your age. im a noob on the morn pen too and theres plenty of work to go around. where are you based? im slowly growing my client base and very occasionally get asked if i know someone that does lawns, as i only do gardening at the mo(stupid being a member of a lawn mowing site), so PM your mobile or business name if you like. id rather pass that work onto an indy. good luck in your future you young whippersnapper you..
Rae

Great nature gardening

Thanks so much Rae,
I'll be sure to do the same for anything out towards rye/sorrento etc.
I'm in rosebud but don't like going too far out that way as most of the work is in rosebud/mccrae/dromana
Il PM you now

Zac