PDA

View Full Version : Dust masks at work

South East Mowing
30-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Does anyone where these. Curious to know because for the few times I don't I cough up some terrible dirt like stuff!
Should be pretty high on the list in dusty times. I'm tippin Ian should be using one mowing the stuff he does

ian
30-01-2013, 09:08 PM
I've thought about it but I don't like the way they feel and what the hell I've had pneumonia twice so my lungs are pretty shot anyway so whats a bit of extra dirt going to do
actually I've given away a few clients that have wanted me to mow theirr lawns so low it creates clouds of dust i just tell them to find someone else who doesn't mind destroying lawns then give then Johns phone no. :)

Kathryn
30-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I cook when I wear one. I try not to but sometimes a bit of discomfort is better than that great asthma feeling

South East Mowing
30-01-2013, 09:30 PM
I cook when I wear one. I try not to but sometimes a bit of discomfort is better than that great asthma feeling

Try a good quality ( not cheap chinese) surgical types

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/10pcs-DISPOSABLE-SURGICAL-FACE-SALON-DUST-CLEANING-Ear-Loop-Flu-Medical-MASK-CE-/251174585435?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&var=&hash=item3a7b2c045b

I have the good quality ones because of the several nose ops I have had, but I wear this type when its hot or just for convenience.

dave hirst
31-01-2013, 04:15 PM
i find that when i wear one it then fogs up my safety glasses, i would rather have eyes.

PaulG
31-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I wear them when it's reasonably dusty but with prescription glasses and fit-over sunnies/safety glasses it's very uncomfortable and hot.

TomS
31-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I wear them when it's reasonably dusty but with prescription glasses and fit-over sunnies/safety glasses it's very uncomfortable and hot.

Yup. One or the other I think.

My Dad, a farmer, wears them all the time, partly to keep his face shaded, partly for his lung condition. Apparently you can get used to them. ( No glasses though)

Tom

GardenGuy
31-01-2013, 06:11 PM
I have thought about it because too much grass and other detritus up my nose makes cough like a Scottish shipyard welder as it makes its way back into the post-nasal area.

The surgical masks are low cost and would work well enough as a basic dust filter. The cartridge type masks wouldn't be much fun as perspiration and muck would cause sweat and beard burns, and they don't seem to flow enough air when you're working at the pace we do.

The two solutions that seem to work are:
[1] Blow your nose very well after each job. You will be amazed at what might come out of there! This reduces the problem.
[2] Get a sinus wash system such as 'Flo Sinus Care'. With these, you mix a sterile saline powder into boiled and cooled water. Then, you pump 200 - 300 ml up one nostril until it runs out the other, and same again, but on the other side. This, every couple of days makes the problem even less.

[2] is a bit disconcerting the first couple of times. Don't be tempted to use water that has not been boiled and cooled as there have been a few recorded deaths related to this in Australia owing to micro-organisms which chlorine/chloramine/etc don't always kill.

This is yet another reason to avoid barker eggs. You don't want that crap up your nose, especially the dried ones that turn to powder when they're hit.

Best of Luck!

Cheers - GardenGuy.

South East Mowing
31-01-2013, 08:22 PM
I have thought about it because too much grass and other detritus up my nose makes cough like a Scottish shipyard welder as it makes its way back into the post-nasal area.

The surgical masks are low cost and would work well enough as a basic dust filter. The cartridge type masks wouldn't be much fun as perspiration and muck would cause sweat and beard burns, and they don't seem to flow enough air when you're working at the pace we do.

The two solutions that seem to work are:
[1] Blow your nose very well after each job. You will be amazed at what might come out of there! This reduces the problem.
[2] Get a sinus wash system such as 'Flo Sinus Care'. With these, you mix a sterile saline powder into boiled and cooled water. Then, you pump 200 - 300 ml up one nostril until it runs out the other, and same again, but on the other side. This, every couple of days makes the problem even less.

[2] is a bit disconcerting the first couple of times. Don't be tempted to use water that has not been boiled and cooled as there have been a few recorded deaths related to this in Australia owing to micro-organisms which chlorine/chloramine/etc don't always kill.

This is yet another reason to avoid barker eggs. You don't want that crap up your nose, especially the dried ones that turn to powder when they're hit.

Best of Luck!

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Works a treat, but after many operations my nose is stuffed and gets irritated very easily so I use a combination of masks depending on job, weather, how I feel etc

great nature
01-02-2013, 06:31 PM
you could always try growing your nostril hair as long as possible. :p

after smoking for 17 years(stopped 4 years ago. woo) and having asthma and bronchitis attacks my whole life, my lungs recover from dust very, very slowly. couple of months ago i weeded a dry dusty bed for two hours and could hardly breathe for the next two weeks. made it really tough to work. so i had a lung function test, got some strengthening inhaler and was told to wear a freaking respirator.
i just wear it when i have to ; mulching, weeding dry beds and blowing off. the only time my lungs are sore now is when i dont wear one for those tasks. i use the valved ones and surgical masks. they make me look like a knob and i feel like a knob, they are itchy and annoying to take on and off, and i hate wearing them, but i hate not being able to breathe worse.
link to the valved masks i buy:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/P2-RESPIRATOR-MASK-WITH-VALVE-MEETS-AS-NZS-1716-STANDARDS-X-BOX-20-/280959215399?pt=AU_Medical_Special_Needs&hash=item416a796727

South East Mowing
01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
you could always try growing your nostril hair as long as possible. :p

after smoking for 17 years(stopped 4 years ago. woo) and having asthma and bronchitis attacks my whole life, my lungs recover from dust very, very slowly. couple of months ago i weeded a dry dusty bed for two hours and could hardly breathe for the next two weeks. made it really tough to work. so i had a lung function test, got some strengthening inhaler and was told to wear a freaking respirator.
i just wear it when i have to ; mulching, weeding dry beds and blowing off. the only time my lungs are sore now is when i dont wear one for those tasks. i use the valved ones and surgical masks. they make me look like a knob and i feel like a knob, they are itchy and annoying to take on and off, and i hate wearing them, but i hate not being able to breathe worse.
link to the valved masks i buy:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/P2-RESPIRATOR-MASK-WITH-VALVE-MEETS-AS-NZS-1716-STANDARDS-X-BOX-20-/280959215399?pt=AU_Medical_Special_Needs&hash=item416a796727

A live feeling looking knob is much better than a dead feeling looking knob:who-knows

Scooby Steve
07-02-2013, 09:59 PM
i find that when i wear one it then fogs up my safety glasses, i would rather have eyes.

Found the same. Any way around this?