PDA

View Full Version : To confirm or not to confirm ??

lemonhead
06-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Just recently have found that my calling or texting to confirm my presence the next day at the customers house has become somewhat of a negative....What i thought was a positive is now an opportunity for the client to defer(one customer has defered 3 times).....excuse is grass has not grown...I confirm so the customer has a reminder to have the payment ready....I could just turn up but from my limited experience the customer has forgotten.....Have started leaving them a reminder slip when done the job with a next service date.....but just wondering wether anyone else discovers this frustration with the honest attempt to be efficient and reliable........DAZ..

courty
06-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Darren
It's a tough one and you will get differing response's here. I used to do it for all customers when I first started and yes you will get people who use it as an opportunity to defer you but as your round grows you will weed these clients out.These day's I only do it for those who pay cash and I can count them on one hand.

lemonhead
06-02-2013, 06:59 PM
WOW...90 percent of mine pay by cash...and if id been smart as i was mowing their lawns i would have loged things that neede doing like pruning and weeding so when they do defer you can at least suggest those alternative services....And i suppose once you have a decent round you dont really care if they defer cos u have so many others to do...But when your trying to establish it hurts when they defer.....

Mick
06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Invoice (email) at end of day, week or end of month. The less contact you have with customers, the better!

courty
06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Invoice (email) at end of day, week or end of month. The less contact you have with customers, the better!

But your a grumpy carnt Mick LOL. Mick is right as far as lawn only customers go but a lot of mine a lawn & garden so I like a little contact with them just to know that they are happy with the service and make them aware of whats happening in their gardens.

jimrtl81
06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
The less contact you have the less money you will make.

courty
06-02-2013, 07:34 PM
The less contact you have the less money you will make.

Not true,I have extremely good customers that I have seen face to face probably a handful of times in 3yrs.

bb1
06-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I only let my client know I am coming if there is a special need for it. Otherwise I just turn up. Gives me heaps of flexibility, somes days I set of with the list for the day, and end up doing totally different jobs if the conditions, or other circumtances require it. I end up doing those jobs that week, but I dont like locking myself in by forewarning when I will be there. That way I can bring jobs foreward a day or backward a day with no hassles.

bb1
06-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Not true,I have extremely good customers that I have seen face to face probably a handful of times in 3yrs.

I agree, I have one I have never seen or talked to in the 5 years doing the job, , another has being overseas for 4 years or more.

South East Mowing
06-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I only let my client know I am coming if there is a special need for it. Otherwise I just turn up. Gives me heaps of flexibility, somes days I set of with the list for the day, and end up doing totally different jobs if the conditions, or other circumtances require it. I end up doing those jobs that week, but I dont like locking myself in by forewarning when I will be there. That way I can bring jobs foreward a day or backward a day with no hassles.

+1 here! .

Kathryn
06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I write the date of the next mow on each invoice, thats it. Most of my customers are electronic payers so its easy.

Blaktop
06-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm with you bb1, Every Friday I am like clockwork......I have to drive 35km, it's always a full day and those people know I'll be there. The ones closer to home know I'll be there around such and such a day in two weeks. One of my best payers I have never met, the money is always in the jar out the back. The guy I bought the round from had never met them either. They are often home when I get there, by the time I've unloaded the whippy, the door is shut, I do my job (15 mins) empty the jar ($25) and I'm gone......perfect customer.

About 35% of mine are invoiced, the rest pay cash on the day. I contact three by sms the day before I go, mostly because if I don't they "forget" to pick up either the dogsh*t or the kids toys.

Valley Lawnmowing
07-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Just turn up your the one running the show not the customer, they can call you if they need to.

Dazz1
07-02-2013, 06:13 PM
This year I have given most of my clients a schedule up till June when it slows down, then i'll have a week or so off and do a new schedule running til NYE.
So far its worked well for me even with the dry weather in Melbourne I've only had two jobs cancelled from those clients, However some of my first customers that i have had since i started just can't seem get used to a schedule and i always need to call or text and they are always saying "can you come next week?" WTF!
I put it down to newbie lawnies attract newbie customers!
I know almost all of the new clients i get now have had a previous contractor (yes, i ask them) that stoped turning up or the client got sick of the contractor turning up whenever they felt like it so they looked for someone new. I think its trial and error on both sides.
Valley Lawnmowing, Your in the SERVICE industry! the customer may not always be right, as the saying goes but they are running the show. Some of my best paying clients have dropped contractors becouse of attitudes like yours.
Daz, It's not the best conditions in Melbourne at the moment just hang in and the weather will get better and the clients will get better. we all go through it.

Dazz1
07-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Just to be clear, when i said i give the customers a schedule i actually give them the dates to put on their fridge but i let them know it's subject to change.

bb1
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Dazz1, Yes we are in the service industry, but from my experience with my clients, they dont care if you come on Thursday or friday or even wednesday just as long as the job gets done. If we stuck to a schedule, half of them would miss out because of rain, total fire bans or a myriad of other reasons. I find that once my clients get to know me, they are comfortable with me setting my own days as long as I turn up and do the job.

Dazz1
07-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Dazz1, Yes we are in the service industry, but from my experience with my clients, they dont care if you come on Thursday or friday or even wednesday just as long as the job gets done. If we stuck to a schedule, half of them would miss out because of rain, total fire bans or a myriad of other reasons. I find that once my clients get to know me, they are comfortable with me setting my own days as long as I turn up and do the job.

I aggree, thats why i have subject to change on my schedule and i explain to the clients about weather ect, i also never schedule regular clients on a friday, I keep it clear for casual jobs or catch ups. I always put my regulars before casuals and one off jobs,

Fred's mowing
07-02-2013, 08:02 PM
This year I have given most of my clients a schedule up till June when it slows down, then i'll have a week or so off and do a new schedule running til NYE.
So far its worked well for me even with the dry weather in Melbourne I've only had two jobs cancelled from those clients, However some of my first customers that i have had since i started just can't seem get used to a schedule and i always need to call or text and they are always saying "can you come next week?" WTF!
I know almost all of the new clients i get now have had a previous contractor (yes, i ask them) that stoped turning up or the client got sick of the contractor turning up whenever they felt like it so they looked for someone new. I think its trial and error on both sides.
Valley Lawnmowing, Your in the SERVICE industry! the customer may not always be right, as the saying goes but they are running the show. Some of my best paying clients have dropped contractors becouse of attitudes like yours.
Daz, It's not the best conditions in Melbourne at the moment just hang in and the weather will get better and the clients will get better. we all go through it.

Sorry Dazza, but with respect I could'nt disagree more strongly.
YOU, are runing the show!
Its YOUR business!
Dont get me wrong, Im not suggesting for one moment that u become arrogant to your customers but.........
I try to be as flexible & accomodating as possible but, for example, imagine if 2 or more customers wanted u at a certain date at a certain time?
Which customer gets priorety?
Really, thats just the start, it could become absolute chaos!
Its YOUR business & YOU must run it!
Cheers Fred.

South East Mowing
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
YOU, are runing the show!
Its YOUR business!
Dont get me wrong, Im not suggesting for one moment that u become arrogant to your customers but.........
I try to be as flexible & accomodating as possible but, for example, imagine if 2 or more customers wanted u at a certain date at a certain time?
Which customer gets priorety?
Really, thats just the start, it could become absolute chaos!
Its YOUR business & YOU must run it!
Cheers Fred.

I think the beauty about this is there can be many right answers. What feels comfortable and works for you is what you should go with.

I was mowing with the lights on the Dixon ZTR tonite, just got home. Now that would be unheard of for many contractors but for me I do it when I feel likle it and it was nice and cool and job just around the corner (commercial)

Fred's mowing
07-02-2013, 08:26 PM
I think the beauty about this is there can be many right answers. What feels comfortable and works for you is what you should go with.

I was mowing with the lights on the Dixon ZTR tonite, just got home. Now that would be unheard of for many contractors but for me I do it when I feel likle it and it was nice and cool and job just around the corner (commercial)
Exactly John, You were in control!
Cheers Fred.

ian
07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
hang in there Darren it will get better if it rains :)
i try to only ring/text clients that either owe money or have to unlock garages/gates otherwise to many try and take advantage and postpone as soon as the growth slows even in good years this is why if i can during droughts i leave notes with a return date and a message that if this isn't suitable please ring me to arrange another date then if the client wants to complain about me mowing a lawn that didn't need mowing(it's happen a couple of times) i can point out that i asked them to ring me if they didn't want it done

Lawn Mowing Professionals
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Without getting into a full on debate ;) there is no right or wrong way to run your business... Personally, i prefer the right way and that is to be in control of my business. I also understand that without customers there is no business... however, I am very selective on my target market and who i want to attract.

How do you become in control of yor business you may ask? Well, it comes from your initial marketing plan/business objectives... Implement the systems that you desire in your advertising, when you pick up the initial phone call, when you quote, when you perform the job and when you ask for feedback after completion of the first job. You MUST build trust and rapport with the potential client instantly!

Do you have a set of questions to ask so you can pre qualify the customer? Do you get them to rebook when ever, or do you suggest a date? Are you confident in your approach? Do you answer the phone or let it go to voicemail, do you leave them with a card or flyer? Do you ask them if they can put the flyer on there fridge for easy reference if they need to get in contact etc etc.

You need to plant the seeds to reap the rewards.

Having a plan combined with effective communication is the secret ingredient here... For example, when quoting do you quote:

$50 dollars every fortnight cuts
$50 dollars every month cuts
$50 dollars. (with no indication or expectations from the client perspective when they should get the next cut)

Do you charge the client more for the first cut... and then offer the ongoing rate if they book regularly?

If you charge $50 to mow fortnightly and $50 monthly and $50 every 3 months... have a guess when the client will most likely get it cut next!

It's interesting that clients that have had problems with the previous contractor will always want you to mow even if it isn't required... It all comes back to supply and demand. Make it clear that your the only logical solution to solving there problem and you should be the expert who is in full control.

In my particular case, i inform all my clients that I will mow on a set particular day (example Wednesday)... very rarely a time! The day only changes if it rains (which has been rare untill recently here in Sydney). I have alot of gates locked and i personally perfer to get my wife to SMS the night before a reminder for them to open up the gate as i will be rocking up to do there lawns ;).

After doing the clients after 3 - 6 months you should build enough trust... i try and build trust

When there is no rain and it's dry... it is harder to gain momentum between cuts, especially if they are new. It is all about training, being confident and in control and focusing on getting new clients on the books.

Once the rain hits, you will be absolutely flat out... I know that i am!

Simmo.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
double post

Simmo.

Dazz1
07-02-2013, 11:49 PM
YOU, are runing the show!Thats not the best analogy but i was trying to respond to another quote! I AM running my own business but the market dictates service and quality we provide. The customers are our employers is what i'm trying to say
Its YOUR business!
Which customer gets priorety?The idea of a schedule is to avoid scheduling problems :i dunno:
Really, thats just the start, it could become absolute chaosIts YOUR business & YOU must run it!
Cheers Fred.

I know it seems like scheduling is unnessasery but to me its the best way of running an efficent business and done properly it will give you extra flexability. I come from an engineering maintenance management background i used to schedule preventative and reactive maintenance and one off jobs on over 2000 pieces of equipment in 3 states. For scheduling in this business I just change the words preventative to regulars and reactive to casuals, in maintenance if you don't look after preventative maintenance first your production brakes down, in mowing if you don't look after your regulars first your business brakes down!
Im using KIE for my schedule and the only real differance between it and the CMMS (computer maintenance management software) i used to use is insted of entering a model number you enter a customer's name.

Dazz1
07-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Exactly John, You were in control!
Cheers Fred.

If your working to a schedule your always in control!

Valley Lawnmowing
08-02-2013, 05:43 AM

I've been in the "service industry" for 6 years and have only lost 2 clients due to propertys being sold not because of my "attitude".

bb1
08-02-2013, 06:15 AM
I know it seems like scheduling is unnessasery but to me its the best way of running an efficent business and done properly it will give you extra flexability. I come from an engineering maintenance management background i used to schedule preventative and reactive maintenance and one off jobs on over 2000 pieces of equipment in 3 states. For scheduling in this business I just change the words preventative to regulars and reactive to casuals, in maintenance if you don't look after preventative maintenance first your production brakes down, in mowing if you don't look after your regulars first your business brakes down!
Im using KIE for my schedule and the only real differance between it and the CMMS (computer maintenance management software) i used to use is insted of entering a model number you enter a customer's name.

Dazz1. Because we dont ring and warn clients or always mow on the same day of the week it doesnt mean we dont schedule. All my regulars have recurring appointments in Outlook so the schedule goes on for the next umpteen years. So they are definitely scheduled, just at the start of each week, I see if there is a better order based on other jobs, forecast rain, etc. Or like on tuesday I finished a few jobs early I just move some of the next days jobs foreward. That way if I get an urgent call today i can fit it in, whereas I could have had an early day, I would rather get to the end of the week with no jobs left, rather than finishing early every day. So what I am saying is we do schedule, we are just flexible within the schedule, but as soon as you start warning clients you will be there on such and such day, you loose that flexibility. I do have some which are fixed, but they are more based on suitability, like every monday morning I do 3 hours of maintenance at a hobby farm, but that suits me, as I do school dropoff, than 3 hours there, than off to whatever job is next. sometimes fixed is good, but the more flexibility is more profitibility in my eyes, as you end up fitting more in.

Yes i Have lost a few clients, but not because of not being there every week on a Tuesday, but sold property, change of circumstance, etc.

Dazz1
08-02-2013, 06:47 AM
I've been in the "service industry" for 6 years and have only lost 2 clients due to propertys being sold not because of my "attitude".

That's great, whatever you do must be working! I don't pretend to know you, how you work or the area you work in, my comments are based on what i do know about the clients i have in the inner suburbs of Melbourne. Don't take offence but your advice wouldn't help the guy who started this thread who is in Melbourne and looking to us for a bit of help in a tough market of 4.16 million people. We forget (well i sometimes do) that this forum covers an entire continent and things can change from place to place.

ian
08-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Just for others that don't know the area Darren is in we had 17mm on the 1st of Feb this is the 1st time we have had more than 7mm of rain in 1 day since the 1st of December with most other "rain" being less than 3mm in a day and a total of 3.8 mm for Jan with 3.4mm on one day and only 6.4mm since Dec 20th and very few people around here water their lawns

lemonhead
08-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks fellow indies for the hotly debated topic of confirmation.....Its all a learning curve..I started busines on sept 12th 2012....so am now seeing the cycles of life as a lawnie,I now know jan/feb are quite months...am hoping autumn is busier as hopefully the rain will fall coupled with some sunshine....then the dreaded winter...am determined to get through that...then aug to december is were it gets busy...some great ideas on here as regards confirming..will take it all onboard......i reckon once ive got upwards of 40 regulars i wont care as much about regulars deferring as much....thanks for the replies..DAZ

bb1
08-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks fellow indies for the hotly debated topic of confirmation.....Its all a learning curve..I started busines on sept 12th 2012....so am now seeing the cycles of life as a lawnie,I now know jan/feb are quite months...am hoping autumn is busier as hopefully the rain will fall coupled with some sunshine....then the dreaded winter...am determined to get through that...then aug to december is were it gets busy...some great ideas on here as regards confirming..will take it all onboard......i reckon once ive got upwards of 40 regulars i wont care as much about regulars deferring as much....thanks for the replies..DAZ

Darren, I started in september as well (7 years ago), just down the road a bit (well 20k's) so similiar conditions I guess, and yes the first summer was a bit slow, but once autumn and spring hit I had built up a big enough list of clients to keep me reasonably busy through the next summer. in my case it suits me to be a little quieter anyhow due to school holidays, but still plenty of work to keep me going, and it is good to have the odd short or off day in this heat anyhow. Although I dont do it, the big answer to your question is do what works for you, try both and see..

lemonhead
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Know what you mean BB....great having some time off after 21 years in retail..but only had 1 job on today....small job...usually takes me 30 minutes...but i turned up and thought...well ive just got this today so im going to put everything into it....i shaped all his hedges..turned over his beds and made it a mission to give it my best shot.....Took me 1 and half hrs but was real proud when finished(good practice too on the hedges)......Went away feeling good about myself.....thats what i wanted to achieve..maybe we will bump into one another in the suburbs one day(I often see indies flying about and wonder if they go on these forums....i try and check for some familiarity with their trailer signage to the names on here.....lol)........DAZ

Blaktop
08-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Careful he/she doesn't expect that treatment every time....:)

Dazz1
09-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Dazz1. Because we dont ring and warn clients or always mow on the same day of the week it doesnt mean we dont schedule. All my regulars have recurring appointments in Outlook so the schedule goes on for the next umpteen years. So they are definitely scheduled, just at the start of each week, I see if there is a better order based on other jobs, forecast rain, etc. Or like on tuesday I finished a few jobs early I just move some of the next days jobs foreward. That way if I get an urgent call today i can fit it in, whereas I could have had an early day, I would rather get to the end of the week with no jobs left, rather than finishing early every day. So what I am saying is we do schedule, we are just flexible within the schedule, but as soon as you start warning clients you will be there on such and such day, you loose that flexibility. I do have some which are fixed, but they are more based on suitability, like every monday morning I do 3 hours of maintenance at a hobby farm, but that suits me, as I do school dropoff, than 3 hours there, than off to whatever job is next. sometimes fixed is good, but the more flexibility is more profitibility in my eyes, as you end up fitting more in.

Yes i Have lost a few clients, but not because of not being there every week on a Tuesday, but sold property, change of circumstance, etc.

BB, what you are doing is exactly what im suggesting! and you your self said it gives you flexibility, I don't understand why people think that a work schedule is not flexable:i dunno: and i mentioned in my post that my schedule is subject to change.
Reading the posts here i think people have different definitions of "regular" and "casual" clients.
My definitions are:
Regular - A client that has a schedule prepared for them for the first and second half of the year, I try not to change the dates but if i do the next job is back to the original schedule. if they want extra work done i only do it that day if it doesn't interfere with other clients work scheduled, clients are told this from the start and get a discount for being a regular.
Casual Regular - Normally high-end clients that want jobs done whenever it's needed, don't want to have to wait till it grows or call you between scheduled visits, rescheduled as needed, drive buy and checked when i'm in the area.
Casual - clients who choose not to be regular or won't or can't stick to a schedule eg. put off jobs! Casuals are scheduled from job to job, I'll call or text first if they don't call me first. No discounts and are jobs are done as second priority to regulars, Clients are told this!

Dazz1
09-02-2013, 08:58 AM
should be "drive by" not "drive buy" or:FU:coppa

bb1
09-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Hey Dazz1, not wanting to get into a debate, but there are differences, I dont give the client a 6 months schedule or forewarn them in any way, as soon as you give any schedule or warning there is an expectation, even if you have put proviso's on the schedule.

I to categorize my clients similiar to yours, but sometimes the casuals or even new clients are put above the regulars, and I can do that because I havent forewarned clients that I am coming on X day. Why do casuals or new clients get priority at times, If I am close by and can move jobs, I do them straight away. or in the case of some the $'s are worth moving even regulars for. I have a couple of casuals who have moved into my top 10 clients because of this flexibility. why wouldnt I move a $50.00 mow, to fit in a $200.00 plus mow. Yes the regular is important as they are bread and butter, but some casuals or new clients are worth just as much or even much much more. Some of my newbies I have picked up because I have being able to be fully flexible.

I remember back in my first year, I had a desperate call from a new client, he had rung 5 others and because his job was postage stamp size no one wanted to touch it. I was in the area, and could move a regular, so went and did it. From that $30.0o mow (6years ago), I now have a $20k plus a year regular.

ian
09-02-2013, 10:04 AM
i don't see how you could run a business without scheduling clients if they don't have a scheduled day for next mow them the client would be a casual client not a regular with you having no idea how much work you are doing.
when i take on a client i tell them what day i will be coming and sometimes or if they push i may tell them morning or afternoon i also try to remember to tell them that due to the weather i may come earlier or later to try and avoid heat or rain, if they're not happy with this then they have to get someone else (i don't state this unless they aren't) as i have said before i usually only ring/text a client if they have requested i do so or i need them to unlock gates or leave money out if i turn up and the client has still not unlocked the gate they are rescheduled to a day that suits me if this happens to often then i cancel the service

bb1
09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
i don't see how you could run a business without scheduling clients if they don't have a scheduled day for next mow them the client would be a casual client not a regular with you having no idea how much work you are doing.

Hey ian, not sure if that was in reference to my last post, not saying we dont schedule in fact an early post showed how I do it, but the question was do we give the client a notification or 6 months schedule. No doubt we all need to schedule, just not lock our selfs into exact times or even days of the week, where ever possible

ian
09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Hey ian, not sure if that was in reference to my last post, not saying we dont schedule in fact an early post showed how I do it, but the question was do we give the client a notification or 6 months schedule. No doubt we all need to schedule, just not lock our selfs into exact times or even days of the week, where ever possible

no reference what so ever
as I've said i try not to notify the day before and the client is scheduled for a day of the week but changeable due to circumstances as for a 6 month schedule i just tell the client that i will be there every 2 weeks from this monday/friday and this is how i continue on until the grass slows then i leave a note stating 3/4 weeks then another note when it starts growing again

Blaktop
09-02-2013, 12:37 PM
My regulars are on a fortnightly/monthly summer/winter regime. I do my Foster (35/40km away) stuff every Friday. I have two regular all day fortnightly gardening jobs that I do on Tuesdays. Mondays are open for casuals/one offs, and all my Taree (15km) and Old Bar (home area) stuff is done on Wednesdays or Thursdays. Everyone knows more or less when I will be there. I have had no-one say they want me on a specific day/time and very few want advance notice. When the job is done I schedule the next mow in KIE.....it works for me (and them). Earlier in the summer when it was really dry a fixed schedule for the next 6 months wouldn't have worked (for me). Unless they specifically want it done whether there is anything to mow or not I will put it off for a week if there is no growth. I had a few that were monthly up until 3 weeks ago. The gardening days are relatively flexible so if we get rain I may do them instead of mowing. As I said, it works for me and them.....gives me flexibility and gives them reliability.

I consider the way I do it to be scheduled and so do my clients.

Dazz1
09-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Hey Dazz1, not wanting to get into a debate, but there are differences, I dont give the client a 6 months schedule or forewarn them in any way, as soon as you give any schedule or warning there is an expectation, even if you have put proviso's on the schedule.

I to categorize my clients similiar to yours, but sometimes the casuals or even new clients are put above the regulars, and I can do that because I havent forewarned clients that I am coming on X day. Why do casuals or new clients get priority at times, If I am close by and can move jobs, I do them straight away. or in the case of some the $'s are worth moving even regulars for. I have a couple of casuals who have moved into my top 10 clients because of this flexibility. why wouldnt I move a $50.00 mow, to fit in a $200.00 plus mow. Yes the regular is important as they are bread and butter, but some casuals or new clients are worth just as much or even much much more. Some of my newbies I have picked up because I have being able to be fully flexible.

I remember back in my first year, I had a desperate call from a new client, he had rung 5 others and because his job was postage stamp size no one wanted to touch it. I was in the area, and could move a regular, so went and did it. From that $30.0o mow (6years ago), I now have a $20k plus a year regular.

Don't get me wrong, i think what you do sounds good. Your happy, clients happy! My way of opperating won't work for everyone or maybe anyone else. I took up this business as a life style choice so i choose my clients to suite, i never schedule more than 6 hours of work a day or give clients times so I'm actually very flexible and can do a lot of other stuff without dropping regs.
New jobs should be ASAP in any business!
I like your story about the "postage stamp" because I also got a call like this in my first month and the lady said people wouldn't even come and give her a quote, the next job in the same area i asked the client if she had trouble getting anyone and she said "no but they never come back because they can't park the trailers anywhere:thinking Guess whos not using a trailer? and it's now one of the 2 client bases I market to. 50% of my jobs take less than 25 min, from getting out the ute to getting back in.

If i hired someone to do a regular service for me I WOULD EXPECT that they showed up on a certain day every fortnight or month or I'd be looking for someone else! I think it's just good customer service. I believe in do unto others!
If i hired them on casual terms I'd understand I may have to wait.

The real difference is i don't really want casuals I'd rather lock em in but thats not for everyone, thats the good thing about being an indy we can do as we like!

sterlo
10-02-2013, 06:20 AM
6 month schedule....your powers of predicting weather are mighty lol lol

Sterlo

Dazz1
10-02-2013, 08:52 AM
6 month schedule....your powers of predicting weather are mighty lol lol

Sterlo

I can't go into my sources :big grin :laughing:

ian
10-02-2013, 08:59 AM
i also like my clients mowing days locked in but want to be able to change them if i want to which i do

Fred's mowing
10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, i think what you do sounds good. Your happy, clients happy! My way of opperating won't work for everyone or maybe anyone else. I took up this business as a life style choice so i choose my clients to suite, i never schedule more than 6 hours of work a day or give clients times so I'm actually very flexible and can do a lot of other stuff without dropping regs.
New jobs should be ASAP in any business!
I like your story about the "postage stamp" because I also got a call like this in my first month and the lady said people wouldn't even come and give her a quote, the next job in the same area i asked the client if she had trouble getting anyone and she said "no but they never come back because they can't park the trailers anywhere:thinking Guess whos not using a trailer? and it's now one of the 2 client bases I market to. 50% of my jobs take less than 25 min, from getting out the ute to getting back in.

If i hired someone to do a regular service for me I WOULD EXPECT that they showed up on a certain day every fortnight or month or I'd be looking for someone else! I think it's just good customer service. I believe in do unto others!
If i hired them on casual terms I'd understand I may have to wait.

The real difference is i don't really want casuals I'd rather lock em in but thats not for everyone, thats the good thing about being an indy we can do as we like!

Sounds like YOU are running Your business.;)
Cheers Fred.