PDA

View Full Version : Safe Operating Distance

SM MOWING
11-02-2013, 05:35 PM
I have a number of business customers and have just recently picked up a new one thats requesting that it would be impossible to keep a minimum safe distance of 15m. They recommend 4m. All the manuals i have ever read on the subject have said " to reduce risk a minium of 15m must be kept ......etc"........... it is possible to slow a machine speed, direct the flow of output from the brushcutter that helps stop flying objects.

What are peoples thoughts on this.....................

courty
11-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Saturdays ?

ian
11-02-2013, 07:08 PM
sat,sun,early morning,late afternoon or a landscape blade
4metres is not a safe operating distance and if someone gets hurt oh&s will have you for breakfast

South East Mowing
11-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a number of business customers and have just recently picked up a new one thats requesting that it would be impossible to keep a minimum safe distance of 15m. They recommend 4m. All the manuals i have ever read on the subject have said " to reduce risk a minium of 15m must be kept ......etc"........... it is possible to slow a machine speed, direct the flow of output from the brushcutter that helps stop flying objects.

What are peoples thoughts on this.....................

If he is OH&S aware and up to date, or done risk assessments at his business he will know how to walk around his workplace with employees and assess it for risks.

Ask him how his employees feel about it. Even if he accepts or instructs that to happen (4m) your arse is still on the line if something happens.

I would not accept it and work out a way! Impossible??? Try possible

Dazz1
12-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Oh&s legislation requires you to eliminate or reduce the risk as far as is practicable, so if your in an area that is only 4M wide and there is no other way around you would need to stop work and let them pass or they need to wait until the risk (you) is gone to get past. Elimination of the risk must be your first option.
15 meters probably wouldn't be enough if you did a proper risk assessment on a brushcutter, an operators manual written overseas is not enough. if you really wanted to go by the letter of the law you would need to do a risk assessment and SOP for each different piece of equipment you have, if you have 2 different model brushcutters you would need a separate one for each.
I'd tell them a stone can take out an eye at 15 meters!

imoww
12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Be on the safe side and avoid the wrong. Could end up with a red face in court...
Avoid is the best deterrent...

SM MOWING
12-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I rang safework sa and they said that their is no standard. I would need to do a risk assessment of the situation and reduce the risk by incorperating things like using a sign to advise that im mowing etc........

I already have SOP's for all my equipment. SOP's say 15 m.....which is usually the case in most situations.

She couldnt give me a difinative answer re if something was to happen.........i got an answer as to what to do but it all seemed airy fairy as to what point is enough...........

OHS=Smoke and Mirrors.................

I guess you just have to prove youve done as much as you can to prove youve traid to make it as safe as possible but at what point do you stop.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
12-02-2013, 08:53 PM
I rang safework sa and they said that their is no standard. I would need to do a risk assessment of the situation and reduce the risk by incorperating things like using a sign to advise that im mowing etc........

I already have SOP's for all my equipment. SOP's say 15 m.....which is usually the case in most situations.

She couldnt give me a difinative answer re if something was to happen.........i got an answer as to what to do but it all seemed airy fairy as to what point is enough...........

OHS=Smoke and Mirrors.................

I guess you just have to prove youve done as much as you can to prove youve traid to make it as safe as possible but at what point do you stop.

Elimination of risk = hand mowing :i dunno:

there is no level playing field that's for sure!!

Simmo.

ian
12-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Remember if it's not in writing it's worth the paper it's written on

SunM
14-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Oh&s legislation requires you to eliminate or reduce the risk as far as is practicable, so if your in an area that is only 4M wide and there is no other way around you would need to stop work and let them pass or they need to wait until the risk (you) is gone to get past. Elimination of the risk must be your first option.
15 meters probably wouldn't be enough if you did a proper risk assessment on a brushcutter, an operators manual written overseas is not enough. if you really wanted to go by the letter of the law you would need to do a risk assessment and SOP for each different piece of equipment you have, if you have 2 different model brushcutters you would need a separate one for each.
I'd tell them a stone can take out an eye at 15 meters!

This^^

Minimum safe distances can't always be followed, hence the bolded part which is part of OHS. As far as reasonably practicable, and in a lot of cases, 15m or even 4m clearance is not a distance that can be kept clear. You need to have workman signs out at either end of the site and witches hats around your vehicle, each time someone comes to walk passed you stop and wait for them.

ian
15-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Oh&s legislation requires you to eliminate or reduce the risk as far as is practicable, But if anything does go wrong it's your fault and worksafe will gladly try to justify their existence by ripping you to pieces so if your in an area that is only 4M wide and there is no other way around you would need to stop work and let them pass or they need to wait until the risk (you) is gone to get past. :laughing: as if Elimination of the risk must be your first option.
and it doesn't matter if you have signs out or even someone stopping people if someone gets hurt worksafe as a government department will try and screw you to justify their existence as justifying their existence is the major driving force of a bureaucracy