PDA

View Full Version : Bird of paradise

St George
19-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Is it possible to pull of part of this plant and replant elsewhere?

Kathryn
19-02-2013, 06:47 AM
yep totally. its pretty similar to a heliconia. . get the soil nice and wet and then i just get a shovel and cut and remove some rhizones. i would cut off most or all of the stalks so that the plant can work of establishing its root system rather than leaves and flowers. progation by division is easy with this kind if plant. id recommend doing it early morning or late arvo in summer

GrowCutMow
19-02-2013, 08:23 AM
I agree totally with Kathryn. I have done this successfully with my own numerous times.

Redeye
19-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I've got a monster in my front garden I've been putting off "shrinking" for quite a few years (ahem), so if you would like some practice first.....

DavidS
19-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Hey Red, have you got a saw balde for your whipper snipper, if so just use it, otherwise I just us a axe to cut it back and to divide.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
19-02-2013, 04:18 PM
It will take over everywhere though and nothing stops it ive tried digging it out roots and all and it still comes back mad i would not recomend it anywhere

Kathryn
19-02-2013, 04:59 PM
It will take over everywhere though and nothing stops it ive tried digging it out roots and all and it still comes back mad i would not recomend it anywhere

but thats in the tropics.although heliconias did better than strelitzias up in gove

PaulG
20-02-2013, 01:13 AM
I'm not a fan of them either. They make great cut flowers but I've seen some huge clumps here that must be at least 50 to 70 years old and they have pushed over fences, rock-edges and even lifted concrete paths and driveways. When they get to that size the best trimmer is an excavator!

GardenGuy
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Just be happy it isn't S. nicolai.

Backhoe removal? Ho ho ho... For a start... :D

Cheers - GardenGuy.