PDA

View Full Version : plants for mosquito bites

AJD Mowing
22-02-2013, 03:50 PM
A friend just asked me if I know of any plants that keep mosquitos away. Does anyone know if there is or not?? Her todler is getting biten at the child care centre he is in. She has offered to suply the plants and I will put them in for her.

Thanks in advance

Dean

fairdinkum
22-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Unless you plant a million of them and brush against them constantly, no plant is really effective in my opinion.

Mrs HMS
22-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Citronella, horsemint, marigolds

They need to find where the water is that the mozzies are breeding in. Or they have fleas in the sandpit.

AJD Mowing
22-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Good onya Joanne I knew I could count on you :)

Mick
22-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Have a look into Neem trees...
http://b4tea.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/10-mosquitoes-controlling-plants-for.html
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7178492_using-tree-keep-away-mosquitoes.html

ian
22-02-2013, 08:05 PM
lavender
from Shannon Lush the best repellent is getting a 500 ml spray bottle - fill with water and add 2.5 ml of lavender oil. Spray on, making sure you spray your clothes, too. The lavender fragrance goes after a couple of minutes so boys won't 'smell pretty' all day
or cat mint but then that seems to attract other problems :)

great nature
23-02-2013, 05:50 AM
theres also the lemon-scented tea-tree (leptospermum petersonii), if they have room for something a little larger. unclipped: 2-7m high. clipped: any height you want. clips really well. native, white flowers at spring, beautiful lush green smallish leaves with apricot coloured new growth, heavy citronella fragrance when crushed. you ruffle up the leaves to get the smell in the air and on you. this masks your pheramones from the mozzies. or break of a piece ruffle it and put it on the table or door. Big fan of this plant.

Dazz1
23-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I've seen a plant in the herb section at a nursery called a mosquito plant, your suposed to plant it in pots outside your doors to keep them away.

ian
23-02-2013, 08:22 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_repellent

AJD Mowing
23-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys much apreciated

PaulG
23-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Santalina also. Santolina is nice soft shrub (yellow flowers) that won't hurt the kids either if they brush against it or fall over it!

I have some in the yard here.

AJD Mowing
23-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks Paul
you horties are a very usefull lot at times :wave-hi: makes lawnies/garden pruners like me look average

ian
23-02-2013, 01:07 PM
be careful of planting things with flowers as they can/will attract bees

PaulG
23-02-2013, 09:30 PM
That's actually a good point in a child-care or kindy. Come to think of it now, where my youngest boy still goes doesn't have a thing, except for a small planter for some veggies, in the backyard play area sadly.

AJD Mowing
24-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Citronella, horsemint, marigolds

They need to find where the water is that the mozzies are breeding in. Or they have fleas in the sandpit.

I have just been to the child care center and done the gardens. Under advice from you guys some of the parents purchased plants and put them in the gardens yesterday.

Next Question: I see what Joanne means by finding the water where the mozzies are breeding. There is a small natural drain that flows when it rains and goes soggy when its not that flows past the fence so I think that is where the mozzies would be breeding.

Does anyone know if there is a spray that kills the mozzie larvae? I thought we could spray along the fence line.

great nature
25-02-2013, 05:20 PM
what did you end up planting?

AJD Mowing
25-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I didnt plant anything the parents did it on Saturday I am not sure what ones they planted I gave the results from you guys and they went and got them. I went on Sunday and did the pruning, weeding and mowing