PDA

View Full Version : Drought affecting business?!

Leon241
25-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Ok, Here in Melbourne, (mornington) I'm getting killed by the drought (if it's called that-don't think it's properly rained here since before christmas).

Out of my 11 regulars, 7 are postponed indefinately because there's nothing to mow and they don't need/can't afford gardening work done.
The three others are (just) keeping my head afloat as 2 of them have half a day each week and one half a day a fortnight. :(

My other clients are mainly casual jobs, so nothing coming through there at the moment either.

My wife works full- time and while she earns a semi-decent wage we're constantly struggling. Credit card is dangerously close to maxed......!etc etc.

I've only been going 12 months, and know that early days are hard, but not sure how long I can keep going, with 1 or 1.5 days work per week? I'm only able to work part time, but 3 or 4 days seems a long way away.

Hopefully Autumn will yield some rain, but I'm not hugely hopeful and then we get to quiet winter.... Don't think it can be much quieter than I am now!

Any tips from you gurus of the business? I have had advertising in the local paper and have good signage on car and trailer, but can't afford any more advertising at the moment.

Keep praying for rain:)!

ian
25-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Keep praying for rain :)!
that's what I'm doing, hopefully some this week with cooler weather the last 2 years have spoilt us :) with the damper summer and growth most of the way through things should pick up as soon as we get consistent wet and winter shouldn't ( i hope) be any worse than now

Lawn Mowing Professionals
25-02-2013, 09:50 PM
If you want customers and don't want to pay for advertising... go knock on some doors and introduce yourself, offer to quote them and maybe you will pick up some work.

Go to the local real estates and see if you can get rental clean ups from them.

Go knock on the commercial properties near you and introduce yourself (regular work here).

If you got a few bucks to invest and a day spare... say $30 for 1,000 flyers and 5 hours to distribute them... go drop some flyers and pick up some more regulars and casuals.

Alternatively, to save time and money and more importantly get paid... you can do some subcontracting work for local comrades that are busy to tie you through until the rain comes.

I would also post regularly on the free advertising site to improve my chances of picking up more work.

Some times you can't sit back and wait for business to come to you... but instead you've got to get out there and fight for it.

It's crucial to have a strategy in place for when events like this (or worse) happen... another reason why a business plan is so important for any business.

Good luck with it. just make sure you don't pray for to much rain or you will be in the same boat :)

Simmo.

Greenie
25-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Mate I find flyers heaps better that the local paper, it's tough I know, when I first started I spend 3 day a week dropping flyers,
If I had no work on I would still get up 7am and drive somewhere I wanted to work and drop flyers, sometime I was stopped and aksed what I do, then and there I was lucky enough to get the job and I woud do it strait away, finish he job and do more flyers, I did pickup work a litte slow but dropping flyers Is an on going thing, I never stop.

HPM
25-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Me too...I agree. If your not mowing then drop flyers. That's how I built up my run.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
25-02-2013, 10:24 PM
dropping flyers is easier to do than mowing

Not sure why everyone thinks its hard work :i dunno: it's harder than an add in the paper or website etc... but you don't get as good results and they cost a lot more to do.

I could do 5 hours a day easily if i had the spare time and needed more work... would be even quicker with a postie bike or even a bike with a small motor to push you along. I'm happy just walking.

Simmo.

geoff1969
25-02-2013, 10:31 PM
agree with you lawn mowing professionals , dont take long to drop a lot of flyers , i just used to ride around on a mountain bike and often my 2 youngest would come with me = i advertise and get excersise , and so would my 2 youngest , also it helped to teach them a bit of bike riding senses on quiet estate roads etc ...

great nature
26-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Me too...I agree. If your not mowing then drop flyers. That's how I built up my run.

+1
im on the MP too. i dont mow but ive been working 5 days a week gardening.
with nothing to mow i would drop flyers letting people know you weed, spray, prune, hedge, water, do clean-ups, etc. the work is definitely out there.
most importantly. keep a positive attitude. things will get better, but you have to make your own luck.

ian
26-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Simmo while your suggestions are all good and i also think dropping flyers of is a good idea the problem here is that most of the lawns need mowing less now than they did 2 months ago and I mean the ones that haven't been mown in that 2 months :) I'm turning up to lawns and even the dandelions are now dead.
as for rental cleanups i did a rental last week for the 1st time since the last tenants moved out at Christmas and new tenants are moving in this weekend,if i was moving it i wouldn't have cared if the lawns hadn't been mown that's how slow they're not growing last year at this time it was a 2 weekly mow.
But we have now got rain and when the grass grows people will be looking for someone to mow it and some of the spring startups will have pulled the pin so more work for those who haven't so i say follow Simmos advice and letter box drop so that your name and number are out there when people are looking

South East Mowing
26-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Not sure why everyone thinks its hard work :i dunno: it's harder than an add in the paper or website etc... but you don't get as good results and they cost a lot more to do.

I could do 5 hours a day easily if i had the spare time and needed more work... would be even quicker with a postie bike or even a bike with a small motor to push you along. I'm happy just walking.

Simmo.

Its hard work because of the "headspace" It can be boring, slow, tedious work for seemingly little reward BUT if you are doing it yourself it does not cost much except for your time. What you must remember about leaflets is that it is very much like exercising - you often don't get a quick result but consistency in your approach with the proper form will reap rewards.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Keep praying for rain :)!
that's what I'm doing, hopefully some this week with cooler weather the last 2 years have spoilt us :) with the damper summer and growth most of the way through things should pick up as soon as we get consistent wet and winter shouldn't ( i hope) be any worse than now

Must of prayed bloody hard. Raining so hard in cranny that I wont be doing any work today.

AL73
26-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Must of prayed bloody hard. Raining so hard in cranny that I wont be doing any work today.

Thats a sweet sweet sound Glenn. Laid up today recovering from yesterdays vasectomy could probably start a thread on that!!! Any way enjoy the day off I see us all getting very busy soon.

Cheers

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Thats a sweet sweet sound Glenn. Laid up today recovering from yesterdays vasectomy could probably start a thread on that!!! Any way enjoy the day off I see us all getting very busy soon.

Cheers

G'day knackers, You timed it well. Take care mate.

Leon, I see your getting this rain aswell. Should be a welcome relief for you and many others.

cheers

sterlo
26-02-2013, 08:13 AM
G'day knackers, You timed it well. Take care mate.

Leon, I see your getting this rain aswell. Should be a welcome relief for you and many others.

cheers

Not sure u can call him knackers anymore

Sterlo

Scooby Steve
26-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Was the drought affecting biz you bet but maybe not after todays rain. Yeeah!

AL73
26-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Not sure u can call him knackers anymore

Sterlo

True Sterlo, but thankfully they didnt remove them.

Fred's mowing
26-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Did u jog home like a real man?
I heard Sam Newman did, against the advice of his ................. micro surgeon:david:laughing:
Cheers Fred.

AL73
26-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Did u jog home like a real man?
I heard Sam Newman did, against the advice of his ................. micro surgeon:david:laughing:
Cheers Fred.

No Fred, just came home and enjoyed being waited on. I think the missus felt slightly sorry for me. I cut a pretty sad figure laying there with my frozen peas on the crown jewels.
Had to end though back to work tomorrow.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-02-2013, 07:47 PM
No Fred, just came home and enjoyed being waited on. I think the missus felt slightly sorry for me. I cut a pretty sad figure laying there with my frozen peas on the crown jewels.
Had to end though back to work tomorrow.

You might get an extra day off mate. Weather is'nt sounding too good for tommorrow.

administrator
28-02-2013, 09:18 AM
The rain is in Cranbourne the last couple of days will help, prayers answered nice to know you guys are Christians lol

If you had asked me earlier the grass would be green by now lmao

Greenie
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Simmo.

Yup dropping flyers is a piece of cake specially from my postiebike:):) not hard work,I don't do 5 hours, I got better things to do but I can deliver Lots and lots in an hour::)

PaulG
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Thinking of starting a new topic "Rain Affecting Business"......

Kathryn
01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
61mm so far here since last night

courty
01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Yep set in here again

Stump
17-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Leon, make yourself up a quoting letter that the details can be filled in via a blanc space on your computer. A brief letter introducing your business with something like "quote to trim hedge ........ quote to mow front lawn...... quote to weed garden beds......
Just leave your random quotes everywhere. It will bring to attention things that they forgot needs doing etc and you will get more work out of it than you think. Almost every garden needs something that you could note down. Market areas that can afford your services.
I waste little time with clients that always have trouble paying. If you market hard enough you will not need them.
Customers won't all come looking for you. I started in late Autumn 3 years ago and had a hundred clients by Christmas that year. There really is work everywhere, even in this weather which is quite normal for this time of year.
By using a random quote sheet, you are directly marketing for work that is actually required, and not just a mowing add in the paper.

BeetleJuice
19-01-2014, 10:44 AM
These days i'm getting too many pamphlets shoved in my letter box that i don't read much any more.
yes i did the letter box drops and the end result for my area was a new customer for every 1,000 drops.
So realistically 6 new customers will be 6,000 pamphlets dropped.

But this time of year where the so called lawns don't exist on some premises because they only have weeds growing as lawn and have died off and now is dust bowl.

The best time to do the drops as things are starting to grow again in Autumn and keep on dropping the pamphlets so when it comes to the next dry spell you'll have some extra customers to keep you going.So some 3 weekly cuts will go to 6-8 weekly cuts.

Lots of these small operators need to fold the business due to lack of money,many years ago when water was cheap and running off into the street gutter we would be cutting strong throughout the year.

hjl
16-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Hi Everyone
Sorry to bring a old topic back to life but things are bad.
As lawn mowing contractors what help is available to us in this drought?
The drought does not only effect farmers. My parents are still farmers and I used to be a farmer so I know how drought effects farmers.
No lawns to mow. done all the pruneing that I can find. What else can be done? Any help from the government?
Cheers
hjl

Redeye
16-09-2018, 04:52 PM
just pray for rain mate

BeetleJuice
16-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear that as i have been thinking about the drought areas in the eastern states.We are short on rainfall here,nothing like you guys and i started preparing with extra lawns my target now is 140 as a 100 won't work for me any more.
Last week i picked up a set of units where the guy with 2 years worth of contract stopped and he informed them he needs to find a proper job.
I think you'll find your not alone,the weather controls us to what life style we live.

BSD
16-09-2018, 09:40 PM
This is in the regular way of anyone who is in this or other work relying on rain or fair weather, unless you're a big boy with stacks of ride on's and council work i suggest you get a traffic control licence to get by.

BeetleJuice
16-09-2018, 10:06 PM
hjl
Sent you a private message

djkgrounds
17-09-2018, 05:46 PM
im having the same issue where I am. i have currently hung up my tools for a few weeks to help a mate that has permanently injured his eye and lost eyesight in that eye. So helping us out a lot getting work through him.

Macka
17-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear that as i have been thinking about the drought areas in the eastern states.We are short on rainfall here,nothing like you guys and i started preparing with extra lawns my target now is 140 as a 100 won't work for me any more.
Last week i picked up a set of units where the guy with 2 years worth of contract stopped and he informed them he needs to find a proper job.
I think you'll find your not alone,the weather controls us to what life style we live.

140 lawns thats a effort for a solo outfit. your not having Fridays off then ?

BeetleJuice
17-09-2018, 08:06 PM
140.....It's doable,i think.

Most my lawns are on the smallish size,terms and conditions to be a customer
Only regulars no casuals
No dogs
No cutting shrubs or hedges
No clean ups
No locked gates or roller doors,unless key or remote supplied or hidden
No catchers used all lawns mulched
No lunch break..what's new

You see that's not so bad,and i lose Fridays and Saturdays during peak times

ian
17-09-2018, 09:13 PM
just a note regarding garage doors if you have a merlin remote you can program these for multiple doors my opener for home is programmed for 3 clients doors

hjl
08-10-2018, 09:20 PM
You all will be pleased to know I have had 50mm of rain in the last few days. Wonderful.
Cheers
hjl

edbeek
09-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Good one hjl. We've had similar or a bit more in places.
Forecast looks good for decent rain this week too.

joeymoey
02-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Lunch breaks I reckon slow you do, after having a feed you just want to go to sleep haha.

140.....It's doable,i think.

Most my lawns are on the smallish size,terms and conditions to be a customer
Only regulars no casuals
No dogs
No cutting shrubs or hedges
No clean ups
No locked gates or roller doors,unless key or remote supplied or hidden
No catchers used all lawns mulched
No lunch break..what's new

You see that's not so bad,and i lose Fridays and Saturdays during peak times

hjl
13-03-2019, 07:40 PM
.5 mm of rain here in February. Normally one of our wettest months. Nearly no mowing to do in what should be one of the busist months of the year.
Cheers
hjl

steveo
13-03-2019, 08:07 PM
.5 mm of rain here in February. Normally one of our wettest months. Nearly no mowing to do in what should be one of the busist months of the year.
Cheers
hjl

Cripes, that is no good. Dry here too. Lots of dead or dying Pittosporums, lots of dry farm dams. We had a really dry winter but a reasonably wet summer but it is really drying up now.

simo
15-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Cheers
hjl

Looks like that is set to change with storms as of now

edbeek
15-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Nice change here at last.
Kingaroy average to March - 260mm. 2019 up to yesterday 26.8mm.

But I had 65mm yesterday & it's bucketing down again now. :)

steveo
15-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Another 233 mm and you'll be back to average :-)

edbeek
15-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Another 233 mm and you'll be back to average :-)

Another 50mm in mid April & that will keep me mowing until the frosts hit. I'm not a greedy man ;)

edbeek
28-03-2019, 07:14 AM
I've now had 127mm for March :) Back to fortnightly mowing.

Started cutting firewood a couple of weeks ago thinking the mowing was finished for the season, but will be lucky to get back to it before Easter now. Cool nights forecast for the next week, so the tourists will be burning it now on the mountains.

Mick
04-04-2019, 09:04 PM
I've now had 127mm for March :) Back to fortnightly mowing.

Started cutting firewood a couple of weeks ago thinking the mowing was finished for the season, but will be lucky to get back to it before Easter now. Cool nights forecast for the next week, so the tourists will be burning it now on the mountains.

Hi Ed, good to see you're still kicking on! Season here got off to a great start but died in the azz with lack of rain. Newbies came and went in a blink of an eye.
The old hands are still around! Would of been a terrible year to try and start up thats for sure. Local dealer had a shocker with sales of new machines!

But as usual, the rains ar ear, and the lawns are cranking. Late but would be a great lift for as, Winters coming!

By the way Ed, Im spewing I sold you that Magnamatic! :( Hope its doing you well!

edbeek
04-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Hi Mick. Good to see you here again.
Are you back in the mowing game?

yep. We had a storm in Oct that brought a fresh crop of lawnies out. Next storm was just before xmas & another crop showed up. Now there's another new batch again. It's been a tough season here. Even a couple of the established fellas have given it away.

MagnaMatic is going great. Haven't had to use it much this year though.

Mick
04-04-2019, 09:29 PM
Not back in mate, thank fk!

kevinsuzanne
05-04-2019, 05:38 PM
So dry Northwest vic [mildura region] 9 mils for the year .lawns slowed now

hjl
14-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Drought really bad here in Stanthorpe. So far I have been safe from the bushfires.

Redeye
15-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Stay safe mate, it's a horrible situation all through Qld atm

edbeek
15-09-2019, 07:03 PM
It's probably not as bad here as the Southern Downs, but bad enough. Had about 45% of our average YTD rainfall.

We're on Total Fire Ban, so no acreage mowing and no welding or grinding. Had plans to stockpile some firewood until the lawns kicked in again, but not even game to do that at present.

BeetleJuice
15-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Adelaide is already showing signs of drying out,bit too soon for us.Long term rain forecast is saying not much rain to come.

djkgrounds
16-09-2019, 12:12 PM
There is a 40% chance of rain here at the end of the week. But cant see that being over land though. I have lost about 60-70% of my business this season as nothing is growing around our area.

Im thinking it is nearly time to hang up the tools soon, and move into something else. Debt is slowly piling up and having two young children, we need a more permanent income. I may have one of my old regulars who manages a couple of Unit Complexes with some regular work, so that may help to tie us over till the drought breaks (hopefully). I quote that one tomorrow.

Not to mention so many new lawnies starting around here undercutting us big time. I lost a contract to a new contractor who undercut me $20 (I was charging $65). I'm hoping to get that one back as they do a terrible job.

kevinsuzanne
22-09-2019, 06:24 AM
Drought very much starting to make a impact here not many customers watering lawns
never seen conditions so dry as this year.
there is approx a dozen new lawnies /gardeners started out in the last few months,hoping
this will be last year of the drought.dust storms shocking.

GAMS
22-09-2019, 01:33 PM
I haven't turned a wheel in the last six weeks - very dry here on Sunshine Coast and hardly no rain. Poor guys who have financial commitments etc.

djkgrounds
25-09-2019, 01:12 PM
I haven't turned a wheel in the last six weeks - very dry here on Sunshine Coast and hardly no rain. Poor guys who have financial commitments etc.

About the same here. I actually have a few big jobs next week or the start of the following week, They will bring in a couple of thousand dollars total, but the cheap owners only want the job done yearly.

I have already started looking for a new job. As much as I love doing this work, there has to be a point where finances and family come first.

Fred's mowing
25-09-2019, 03:34 PM
About the same here. I actually have a few big jobs next week or the start of the following week, They will bring in a couple of thousand dollars total, but the cheap owners only want the job done yearly.

I have already started looking for a new job. As much as I love doing this work, there has to be a point where finances and family come first.

Really feel 4 u guys but, IF? u can hang in there, WHEN? it turns around, you're one of the few left in the game.
Maybe you might be able to find some part time work to tie u over ?

Good luck.

Cheers Fred.

djkgrounds
26-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Really feel 4 u guys but, IF? u can hang in there, WHEN? it turns around, you're one of the few left in the game.
Maybe you might be able to find some part time work to tie u over ?

Good luck.

Cheers Fred.

Im hoping to hang in there. I have a minor side business doing Leatherwork. So if anyone wants, Belts, Collars, bag, wallets, etc. made up. Look up DJ's Leathercraft on Facebook. But even that business has slowed right down due to people not having much money.

NLALM
28-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Well the drought has had no effect on new start ups around here, I have never seen so many new lawnies ever , and the workmanship of some of them shows that some don't know one end of the whippy from the other. Even the water restrictions hasn't put em off. Lucky us hey, we are dealing with drought and more competition than ever makes it hard to make an honest living,

edbeek
27-10-2019, 05:25 PM
I mowed my first green grass since July yesterday. A small area was lucky enough to be under 2 storms of 10-15mm, but the growth is wilting already.

Most of my service area hasn't had enough rain to grow anything but a few weeds.

kevinsuzanne
27-10-2019, 06:06 PM
I mowed my first green grass since July yesterday. A small area was lucky enough to be under 2 storms of 10-15mm, but the growth is wilting already.

Most of my service area hasn't had enough rain to grow anything but a few weeds.

we all just have to hang in there,breaking the back of most though.

GQdude
29-10-2019, 02:53 PM
I'm on the Gold Coast and I'm lucky to have 1 full day a week at the moment. Not to mention having to clean air filters everytime time I go out.

BeetleJuice
29-10-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm on the Gold Coast and I'm lucky to have 1 full day a week at the moment. Not to mention having to clean air filters everytime time I go out.

Geez i had no idea you guys were doing it so tough.

djkgrounds
29-10-2019, 08:41 PM
lucky to have 1 full day a week at the moment. Not to mention having to clean air filters everytime time I go out.

Yep same here. Im on the Northside of Brisbane.

Chris B
30-10-2019, 07:50 AM
Hopefully you guys get some rain soon

Greenie
19-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Yea im doing it tough at the moment. just moved to north Richmond nsw and its dead everywhere..im starting to stress a bit

Redeye
19-11-2019, 06:59 PM
yep, me too....not even summer yet :(

djkgrounds
19-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Not to mention having to clean air filters every time I go out.

Had three unit complexes to mow today pretty much next door to each other, The amount of dust and dirt that we needed to clean off the mower after was crazy, Not looking forward to seeing what the air filter looks like tomorrow when I clean it out. But that's my weeks worth of work done, Now to get to work on a belt Im making for a fellow contractor from this forum.

And it's official, Im hanging up my tools at the end of the year. Not enough money coming in to support the family, and especially coming up to Christmas. Thanks to everyone on here that has helped me out over the many years. But as they say "As one door closes, another opens" I will still be lingering and helping out where I can on here though.

kevinsuzanne
20-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Had three unit complexes to mow today pretty much next door to each other, The amount of dust and dirt that we needed to clean off the mower after was crazy, Not looking forward to seeing what the air filter looks like tomorrow when I clean it out. But that's my weeks worth of work done, Now to get to work on a belt Im making for a fellow contractor from this forum.

And it's official, Im hanging up my tools at the end of the year. Not enough money coming in to support the family, and especially coming up to Christmas. Thanks to everyone on here that has helped me out over the many years. But as they say "As one door closes, another opens" I will still be lingering and helping out where I can on here though.

Sorry, to hear that hope everything goes well in the future. Regards, Suzanne

Redeye
20-11-2019, 01:15 PM
That's sad news Damien, l hope you find a better way forward

ian
20-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Best wishes and hope all goes well with the new venture

Fred's mowing
20-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear.
It must be terrible drought wise out there.
We seem to be a bit sheltered re drought here in Melb atm, a fair amount of the rest of the country is copping it.
Thanks for your contributions to the forum over many yrs, hope this isn't the last we hear from you.
Good luck for the future.

Cheers Fred.

Greenie
20-11-2019, 05:21 PM

Mate so sorry to hear. what will you be doing.??

NLALM
20-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Its starting to get serious all along the east coast , lawns turning to dust , this will get rid of a lot of cowboys , but its the genuine contractors I feel for . This is not what we need leading up to Christmas , Most of my lawns will only need one cut before Christmas , lucky I have some hedges to do. I cant remember the last time it was this bad. Good luck with the future DJK

djkgrounds
21-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Thanks all. I have a background in Warehousing and Machinery operation, as well as manufacturing. So I should be able to find some work in that industry again. Its not easy looking for work though. After running a business for the last 7 years, everyone want certificates in everything for an entry style job. Not easy for us who have been out of the industry for so long. Might end up back at Tafe yet to expand my knowledge again.

But I also have a Builder mate they may be able to put me on as an apprentice. He has some major reno jobs coming up over the next few years. He is an ex Tafe trade teacher, so has all the necessary qualifications to be able to train and assess me as we go.

ASTRO
21-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Sorry to hear Damien.
Wishing you and all the contractors in Qld/NSW all the best + some bloody spring/summer rains.
Thankyou for your input over the years to the forum.
Tomorrow is a brand new day to a wise man.
Cheers Astro.

RSM-Gazza
24-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Djk,

That's very sad to read your posts to leave mowing, but i can fully understand having the need to support a family in this highly seasonal game. Best wishes for the future and hoping you and the family have a good Christmas with the current uncertainty re employment.

Re the Big Dry,
Dry ass here in Albury/Wodonga, but calls are still pouring in surprisingly and some of these jobs are big offers. (I only do my normal clients and knock them back).
Fire hazards are so concerning personally that I've personally taken action at home and with an adjoining rural property. One of my customers and her neighbours incurred serious fire damage & potential fire damage to hers that hit local news last Thursday. I visited her house yesterday and saw what a grass fire can do in gale force winds - I've experienced Lara Fires as a Kid too. The local confined fire by the way is very suss.

I'm forecasting some serious water issues for the Murray System next Summer with the Hume Weir at 35% and the Dartmouth major back up had 30% taken from it last yr to support the Murray System and they'll take another 30% this summer. (Thats what Dart is for by the way).
If its a dry winter in 2020 the Murray System will be in NSW/Qld's current situation, but next yr.
Hume Weir was 32% the other week so big releases are coming from the Snowy and Dartmouth to hold current or 2% higher levels at 35%.
Dartmouth has high volume holding but poor catchment, so its usually takes a couple or several good winters to get close to filling it. Dartmouth can provide 3 yrs of back up support without good Winter rains. Plus when water levels get low at Dartmouth its Black dead smelly water that gets released.

Must say traveler's from North coming back through our twin cities say we are greener than what there've seen up North.

Damien,
Yes they all want higher education, certificates and more certificates and the competition is fierce. I was a snr Mgr responsible for 150 staff prior to the wind down mowing lifestyle. The bulldust coming out of HR Dept re employment application testing, mind game tests, certificates, commitments to enter into formal training. District Mgrs often required to approve an application, it was becoming a circus.
So for you being out of it for seven yrs there will be a challenge ahead as your've recognised, but at least your've identified the need for a more consistent reliable income. Whilst not procrastinating on it and making a move, Best Wishes again

kevinsuzanne
25-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Hi Gaz, Yep the big dry alright ,most of the lawns l do are complete dust .Dust storms most days and stage 1 restrictions
just started not looking good going into summer,but heard might get good rains in January.

RSM-Gazza
25-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Hi Gaz, Yep the big dry alright ,most of the lawns l do are complete dust .Dust storms most days and stage 1 restrictions
just started not looking good going into summer,but heard might get good rains in January.

I'm lucky to have a mix of properties with many luxury larger properties that irrigate twice a day. So work load can be what I want or not want it to be.
For some reason only basic restrictions in town that no one follows.

After that mega 42deg hot wind day last Thursday every home has been covered in dust and been using the Backpack blower on all jobs and de dusting their windows/sills as I go. But i saw the wind/dust and zero visibility videos on the news from Mildura - far worse than we got.
Spent the day at a huge working farm today and all the dams are 90% full, but had to have my fire gear onsite just in case as dried grass is so high. That's were the battery whipper is good to reduce risk - used 5 X 9.4amp batteries just on the whipper.
I've got 2 more days there by end of next week. Sure met "Louie the Fly" and his entire extended family today. lol

That person you heard that "good rains in January" are you sure they weren't pissed or smoking something!!! :):)

kevinsuzanne
26-11-2019, 02:37 PM
I'm lucky to have a mix of properties with many luxury larger properties that irrigate twice a day. So work load can be what I want or not want it to be.
For some reason only basic restrictions in town that no one follows.

After that mega 42deg hot wind day last Thursday every home has been covered in dust and been using the Backpack blower on all jobs and de dusting their windows/sills as I go. But i saw the wind/dust and zero visibility videos on the news from Mildura - far worse than we got.
Spent the day at a huge working farm today and all the dams are 90% full, but had to have my fire gear onsite just in case as dried grass is so high. That's were the battery whipper is good to reduce risk - used 5 X 9.4amp batteries just on the whipper.
I've got 2 more days there by end of next week. Sure met "Louie the Fly" and his entire extended family today. lol

That person you heard that "good rains in January" are you sure they weren't pissed or smoking something!!! :):)

Yep ,most likely

steveo
27-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Thanks all. I have a background in Warehousing and Machinery operation, as well as manufacturing. So I should be able to find some work in that industry again. Its not easy looking for work though. After running a business for the last 7 years, everyone want certificates in everything for an entry style job. Not easy for us who have been out of the industry for so long. Might end up back at Tafe yet to expand my knowledge again.

But I also have a Builder mate they may be able to put me on as an apprentice. He has some major reno jobs coming up over the next few years. He is an ex Tafe trade teacher, so has all the necessary qualifications to be able to train and assess me as we go.

good luck mate.

NLALM
04-12-2019, 07:42 PM
thick smoke everywhere today and it got worse this afternoon we had ash from the fires thick in the air, the lawns really struggling lucky I do a lot of hedges, or I would be really worried

The weather man had some satellite pictures from last year and now to compare , difference is amazing but then he put one up from 10 years ago at this time , unbelievable all green

forecast temps into the 40s next week that will really slow the mowing , no turkey this christmas

kevinsuzanne
09-12-2019, 01:14 PM
43 today with late dust storm.

RSM-Gazza
09-12-2019, 03:51 PM
43 today with late dust storm.

2 wks back I said things were still ok, but things are changing fast.
The big non stop dry inland is now biting for me, customers who don't water lawns don't want you as their lawns are turning into crispy short hay.

Must be doing it pretty hard in Mildura again like every summer, breed em tough up your end of the Murray. We are only 39 and 38 tomorrow so not real hot yet.
Had today off to arrange stuff re new pool regulations and speak with council building inspectors. Didn't have anything booked I would have liked doing today in 39 deg. Not doing hedges in 39

No dust but smokey hazed

kevinsuzanne
10-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Same here many customers not watering lawns ,looking like it might be a lean summer.

work slowing up leading up into christmas this year,temps up next week going into 40s.
dust storms are the new normal now& they just announced murray river blue/green algae again.

Macka
12-12-2019, 02:59 PM
No drought here, I just do Lawns, hopping for a dry summer to get the boat wet. grass can grow all year round it can be a long season. 2 weekly for last 5 months so looking foward to 3 weekly after Christmas.

I cant see how anyone can just do lawns in northern areas. Wouldnt up North "eg. Brisbane" just be Seasonal work for mowing ?

steveo
12-12-2019, 06:26 PM
No drought here, I just do Lawns, hopping for a dry summer to get the boat wet. grass can grow all year round it can be a long season. 2 weekly for last 5 months so looking foward to 3 weekly after Christmas.

I cant see how anyone can just do lawns in northern areas. Wouldnt up North "eg. Brisbane" just be Seasonal work for mowing ?

Wherabouts are you in SA Macca if you don't mind me asking? It is so dry in Canberra even the couch grass is still dormant or dead. Unless it is watered its dead. Needs an inch of rain to fire up the summer grasses but that just didn't happen. There are loads of gumtrees carking it or about to cark it. Planted saplings don't have a chance. Interesting though that there is still snow up on the main range in the snowies off in the distance when I drove past there last week. The snowy monaro area has just introduced water restrictions as most of the rivers that water the townships have stopped flowing. NSW South coast must be tinder dry too. Its not looking good either. I feel sorry for anyone with stock to feed.

What sort of fishing you do? My boat aint seen much action lately. Too busy with life getting in the way but if you aint fishing you aint living. Hopefully this xmas I'll catch a much needed feed of fish or yabbies.

steveo
12-12-2019, 06:28 PM
Same here many customers not watering lawns ,looking like it might be a lean summer.

work slowing up leading up into christmas this year,temps up next week going into 40s.
dust storms are the new normal now& they just announced murray river blue/green algae again.

Feel for you mate. I grew up along the Murray, great people, great communities.

kevinsuzanne
13-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Wherabouts are you in SA Macca if you don't mind me asking? It is so dry in Canberra even the couch grass is still dormant or dead. Unless it is watered its dead. Needs an inch of rain to fire up the summer grasses but that just didn't happen. There are loads of gumtrees carking it or about to cark it. Planted saplings don't have a chance. Interesting though that there is still snow up on the main range in the snowies off in the distance when I drove past there last week. The snowy monaro area has just introduced water restrictions as most of the rivers that water the townships have stopped flowing. NSW South coast must be tinder dry too. Its not looking good either. I feel sorry for anyone with stock to feed.

What sort of fishing you do? My boat aint seen much action lately. Too busy with life getting in the way but if you aint fishing you aint living. Hopefully this xmas I'll catch a much needed feed of fish or yabbies.

Gum trees and other native trees dying here in mildura to

RSM-Gazza
13-12-2019, 04:27 PM
MIldura next week,
I was looking at ours at 38, 41, 43, 44. Then I thought to search Mildura.
Think CUB have extra deliveries of Beer headed your way this weekend.
How can grass grow in that weather.

BOM Weather Forecast 4.30pm 13 Dec

Monday 16 December
SummaryMin 16Max 38Hot and sunny.Chance of any rain: 0%

Tuesday 17 December
SummaryMin 21Max 41Hot

Wednesday 18 December
SummaryMin 24Max 44Very hot

Thursday 19 December
SummaryMin 24Max 46Very hot

Friday 20 December
SummaryMin 28Max 47Very hot (It should be re named "Brutally Hot").

Redeye
13-12-2019, 07:24 PM
even cactii would struggle ....

RSM-Gazza
21-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Well this is the worst xmas lead up and expected coming out of xmas in my 10 yrs doing this lawn trade. With no rain and continuous high 38, 40 or 40+ everyday.
Next week is the same again 38,39,41 everyday with zero thunderstorm type rains or localised arvo showers. Although we enjoyed a cool change today 36deg, but it felt hotter with the thick smoked orange skies.
18 cancellations this week with lawns just dead with many clients not wanting to me until into Feb. With others mowed say 2wks ago with no return dates on radar as the zero rain and steady heat remains.

The ones that water everyday in my client mix, don't seem to have much growth just holding their lawns alive and visits to them have become 3wks and will stretch out 4wks in the real heat of Jan, Feb.
Xmas/NewYear & Jan/Feb were always the months I could hook up the Jayco and sneak in a week at xmas and a further 2 wks away usually leaving around the last day of the Aust long weekend.

Worst I've seen it not so much re heat just no rain long term and I'm not into the CC stuff as we always have a brutal hot summer but usually with some in between rains. Just stating how it has become along the Murray this season.

Yes, there will still be Turkey and Cold Crownies to be had throughout the festive season. But that will come from the fruits of my old career.
Seriously, there must be lawnies out there in dry ass inland areas or fire effected areas in real trouble supporting a family & paying rent or a mortgage.
I was offered a council job this week which i didn't see coming. It was just presented to me with out any conversation pertaining to lawn mowing. But nah!! happy in the freedom in what i do.

Edit;
Have it in writting personalised to me easy understood supported rules working on TFBan days from CFA Central H/O for days in suburbanised built up green areas. Not taking about properties in the bush or adjoining bush, dry parklands or dry grassed playparks. Which is handy as there's always a someone who knows everything watching.
Bolted me 9kg water rechargable red extinguisher to rear back inside trailer the other day instead of it being in a non seeable location. When I previously had the Workmate tray Hilux t was always on show bolted on the tray wall behind the rear window.

3 easy remove bolts for when I want the whole trailer clear on occassional tree/shrub heavy prunning jobs. Plus out of season you wouldn't carry this.
Plus doesn't need removal to load the 42in onboard when needed.

BeetleJuice
22-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Seeing lots contractor gear for sale on Gumtree lately

ian
22-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Changing a lot of clients over from 2 to 3 weekly now

kevinsuzanne
22-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Well this is the worst xmas lead up and expected coming out of xmas in my 10 yrs doing this lawn trade. With no rain and continuous high 38, 40 or 40+ everyday.
Next week is the same again 38,39,41 everyday with zero thunderstorm type rains or localised arvo showers. Although we enjoyed a cool change today 36deg, but it felt hotter with the thick smoked orange skies.
18 cancellations this week with lawns just dead with many clients not wanting to me until into Feb. With others mowed say 2wks ago with no return dates on radar as the zero rain and steady heat remains.

The ones that water everyday in my client mix, don't seem to have much growth just holding their lawns alive and visits to them have become 3wks and will stretch out 4wks in the real heat of Jan, Feb.
Xmas/NewYear & Jan/Feb were always the months I could hook up the Jayco and sneak in a week at xmas and a further 2 wks away usually leaving around the last day of the Aust long weekend.

Worst I've seen it not so much re heat just no rain long term and I'm not into the CC stuff as we always have a brutal hot summer but usually with some in between rains. Just stating how it has become along the Murray this season.

Yes, there will still be Turkey and Cold Crownies to be had throughout the festive season. But that will come from the fruits of my old career.
Seriously, there must be lawnies out there in dry ass inland areas or fire effected areas in real trouble supporting a family & paying rent or a mortgage.
I was offered a council job this week which i didn't see coming. It was just presented to me with out any conversation pertaining to lawn mowing. But nah!! happy in the freedom in what i do.

Edit;
Have it in writting personalised to me easy understood supported rules working on TFBan days from CFA Central H/O for days in suburbanised built up green areas. Not taking about properties in the bush or adjoining bush, dry parklands or dry grassed playparks. Which is handy as there's always a someone who knows everything watching.
Bolted me 9kg water rechargable red extinguisher to rear back inside trailer the other day instead of it being in a non seeable location. When I previously had the Workmate tray Hilux t was always on show bolted on the tray wall behind the rear window.

3 easy remove bolts for when I want the whole trailer clear on occassional tree/shrub heavy prunning jobs. Plus out of season you wouldn't carry this.

Feeling your pain Gazza, if we dont get rain not many of us will be in this game same time next year.last friday december record
heat day 47.9. it was 40 deg b4 ten am ,crazy weather.No-one on regular basis mows now just as required.

kevinsuzanne
22-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Edit;

Lawns not growing much here to seems to have gone into survival mode

NLALM
22-12-2019, 02:43 PM
Its got to the point where when people ask me what they can do for their grass , I tell them to get up on Sunday morning get dressed nicely go to church and pray for rain, otherwise you can just put your head between your legs and kiss your grass goodbye

It is beyond serious, we used to get a couple of over 40 days in a summer, we have already had a bout half a dozen this summer and its just started

RSM-Gazza
22-12-2019, 08:24 PM
More of the same again next wk, zero rain and 36,38,41,41,43. Never seen my own street with completely dead, dried, destroyed lawns.
Best I go down to 1st Choice and get another box of beer as there's going to be plenty of home time to drink it. lol :doh

South East Mowing
22-12-2019, 09:51 PM
More of the same again next wk, zero rain and 36,38,41,41,43. Never seen my own street with completely dead, dried, destroyed lawns.
Best I go down to 1st Choice and get another box of beer as there's going to be plenty of home time to drink it. lol :doh

Feel for all you guys doing it very very tough.
All you guys in Vic and other places where there is rain and good times should be prepared for tougher times. I still remember the drought that broke in 2010? That was tough down here but we still had grass to cut and a little rain.
Don't ever take anything for granted!!

RSM-Gazza
01-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Nothing to do with Topic Heading apart from working in hot dry conditions.

Was working today new yrs day and one job was at the Albury Airport which is very regular.

Some serious aircraft activity re the fires,
The big 4 jet engined water carrying planes taking off one after the other, helicopters and one helicopter that was like a Blackhawk but larger at 5 side windows long (not 3) with a long sling air lifting some heavy equipment heading in the Corryong direction after lift off.
They do base some serious Aviation craft there during the summer and usually amongst the Air Craft and Cranes are two Con Air 4 jet tankers.

Chris B
02-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Feel for all you guys doing it very very tough.
All you guys in Vic and other places where there is rain and good times should be prepared for tougher times. I still remember the drought that broke in 2010? That was tough down here but we still had grass to cut and a little rain.
Don't ever take anything for granted!!

Seems like everything has really dried out in Melbourne over the last couple of weeks.
Although probably not unusual

South East Mowing
02-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Seems like everything has really dried out in Melbourne over the last couple of weeks.
Although probably not unusual

I’ll take that until the end of February!!
Will let me catch up a little.
I have a feeling though it may get quite a bit drier, not what we really need.
What we need is a good long long soaking especially where the drought and fires are.

RSM-Gazza
02-01-2020, 07:51 PM
What we need is our house after this weekend. lol
Had two vic gov texts tonight telling us to leave by tonight being in a risk area in an outer town rural edge and my daughter got the same. Don't really know why we got them, bit over the top for us at this stage. But have a Generator, fuel on hand if power is knocked out by fire areas affecting us down the transmission lines on saturday.

Massive community effort going on in town, of sending help to Cudgewa and Corryong like other Communities are doing about the state.
Burrumbuttock Hay runners in town 5 big trucks. Hotels offering to assist people along with residents offering the same, Shops giving food and making food, people loading up 4WD's with water or food/equipment and heading down.
Bunnings sending all their generators to the bush, Bunnings has been hit hard for emergency type stock. Trades people downing work and offering their services including an Electrician in our extended family offering his total team to help with electrics.
It bigger than BenHur the Community support going on. The city is hosting people in need including at schools and Racecourse.
41 deg tomorrow and 45 windy sat
Finished work at 11.00am and we had over 380 on the air health app saying it hazardous to health and it was stinging the eyes and throat somewhat.

RSM-Gazza
05-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Haven't worked much in past 2 wks due to extreme heat, fires,total fire ban, smoke etc.

But worked today on my 5 hr commercial job in this smoke today with the lower temp's. Yes-Stupid, but I hadn't done this job for close to 4wks and it can only be done on Sunday's. This picture was taken by local newspaper about 450-500mtr away from my worksite today.

I've always wondered why Ride On Mowers come with headlights, but I now know why. Cleaned the globes, sprayed WD40 in the connectors and on they come. It was only 3 wks ago I air gunned the insides of the lenses out.

Tough day for a lawnie, but not a touch on the conditions our firies are enduring or evacuated people in relief centres.

I think the picture maybe on zoom and showing it slightly more worse though.

Redeye
06-01-2020, 08:02 AM
this was the view out my bedroom window on 4 jan

RSM-Gazza
06-01-2020, 09:01 AM
That's Bl**dy Horrendous, I knew you were in a badly affected area, but not that close.
I've got some G/Trees like that in the 2 acre block behind us that I wish he would cut down further as there close to our boundary.

Pulled the pin on working today, smoke as bad as yesterday and zero P2 Musks in town as I tried from early this morning at all places on the off chance. Officeworks even closed due to smoke.
Daughters in medical field and scored some today for dear ol dad for work tomorrow. Not all customers will accept repeat delays. (doh)

kevinsuzanne
07-01-2020, 03:03 PM
That's Bl**dy Horrendous, I knew you were in a badly affected area, but not that close.
I've got some G/Trees like that in the 2 acre block behind us that I wish he would cut down further as there close to our boundary.

Pulled the pin on working today, smoke as bad as yesterday and zero P2 Musks in town as I tried from early this morning at all places on the off chance. Officeworks even closed due to smoke.
Daughters in medical field and scored some today for dear ol dad for work tomorrow. Not all customers will accept repeat delays. (doh)

Stay safe everyone

RSM-Gazza
07-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Thanks kevinsuzanne,

Yesterday our area had 999 as an air index, above 300 is considered hazardous. it could have been higher as the equipment maxed out.
Last night as the sunset you just couldn't see, street lamps did the fog thing.
I texted most clients that i wasn't coming yesterday as working in that stuff and on Sunday had consequences to me with Monday just as bad.

Today Tue was smokey ass in the morning with conditions getting better in the arvo but not as severe as Monday was (461 today midday) two clients asked why I didn't work yesterday WTF.
Had to take off the P2 Mask at 1.00pm as it was unbearable as the day got hotter and Ive got the better exhale valve type release one.
Even when it over 40 for a week and like 41 this Friday and 46.1 the other day, there's bugger all compassion by some.

Seriously as of late this arvo I have enough of this game.
This could be my last year doing this, as Super says I'm OK till 115.

Maybe 3 cold Crownies will settle me down tonight for tomorrow.
Edit, Just had a regular customer text for their lawn to be done just as I'm typing this with an "Only do it when Heat and Air Quality is Ok attached", What a champ she is, i texted back a thanks for their kindness and thought.

Rant Over, :doh:):)

South East Mowing
07-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Thanks kevinsuzanne,

Yesterday our area had 999 as an air index, above 300 is considered hazardous. it could have been higher as the equipment maxed out.
Last night as the sunset you just couldn't see, street lamps did the fog thing.
I texted most clients that i wasn't coming yesterday as working in that stuff and on Sunday had consequences to me with Monday just as bad.

Today Tue was smokey ass in the morning with conditions getting better in the arvo but not as severe as Monday was (461 today midday) two clients asked why I didn't work yesterday WTF.
Had to take off the P2 Mask at 1.00pm as it was unbearable as the day got hotter and Ive got the better exhale valve type release one.
Even when it over 40 for a week and like 41 this Friday and 46.1 the other day, there's bugger all compassion by some.

Seriously as of late this arvo I have enough of this game.
This could be my last year doing this, as Super says I'm OK till 115.

Maybe 3 cold Crownies will settle me down tonight for tomorrow.
Edit, Just had a regular customer text for their lawn to be done just as I'm typing this with an "Only do it when Heat and Air Quality is Ok attached", What a champ she is, i texted back a thanks for their kindness and thought.

Rant Over, :doh:):)

Maybe just tell those few clients without compassion to stick their job where the sun don’t shine.
From experience that should make you feel much better

RSM-Gazza
07-01-2020, 04:48 PM
You replied to quick, i relogged in to deleted my typing to put a thanks to kevinsuzanne only. Oh well the post can stay, I'll get over it by tonight. lol

RSM-Gazza
07-01-2020, 08:01 PM
I'm good,

Came home late from a long hard day and exhausted, giddy from recent heat, plus hazardous off the scale smoke over the last week also making it feel even hotter with sore eyes.
From the 7news tonite East Gippslands smoke is coming our way on top of what we already had from Corryong and Tumbarumba/Snowy. But it was better in the arvo today.
If you wear a P2 in our environment on warm days its like a pizza oven clipped to your nose. Just no Hawaiian Pizzas to eat though. lol
Many in our town are doing the wet towel with slight vinegar mix over a drying rack with fans blowing to minimise smoke in the house. My house is well sealed using split systems with downlights all fire capped sealed. So only done that towel trick yesterday, jury is out on how effective.

No beer tonight, it will give me a bigger headache, so its Gatorade and bed early.
Re the drought, I have noticed many of the start up operators gone in my travels. Only seeing the Franchise operators and established guys like me about. These guys are maybe selling hay now or on a PO cruise. lol
Friday 41 and 40km winds according to Bom, lets hope for the best in the fire regions.

Often thought about posting a topic when guys thought it was time to retire or slow the businness right up. Be it in good health or health issues like hip, back, age,or just time to chill, etc. But that's for another time.

South East Mowing
08-01-2020, 06:34 PM
I'm good,

Came home late from a long hard day and exhausted, giddy from recent heat, plus hazardous off the scale smoke over the last week also making it feel even hotter with sore eyes.
From the 7news tonite East Gippslands smoke is coming our way on top of what we already had from Corryong and Tumbarumba/Snowy. But it was better in the arvo today.
If you wear a P2 in our environment on warm days its like a pizza oven clipped to your nose. Just no Hawaiian Pizzas to eat though. lol
Many in our town are doing the wet towel with slight vinegar mix over a drying rack with fans blowing to minimise smoke in the house. My house is well sealed using split systems with downlights all fire capped sealed. So only done that towel trick yesterday, jury is out on how effective.

No beer tonight, it will give me a bigger headache, so its Gatorade and bed early.
Re the drought, I have noticed many of the start up operators gone in my travels. Only seeing the Franchise operators and established guys like me about. These guys are maybe selling hay now or on a PO cruise. lol
Friday 41 and 40km winds according to Bom, lets hope for the best in the fire regions.

Often thought about posting a topic when guys thought it was time to retire or slow the businness right up. Be it in good health or health issues like hip, back, age,or just time to chill, etc. But that's for another time.

After divorce no.2 I could be working up until retirement age - mine is 67 but it could be 70 by then for others. Health issues I will just have to manage and make sure the body can still function when I am retired. No good if i can't hold a fishing rod, swing a golf club, hold a cold beer, or tie my shoe laces etc etc

RSM-Gazza
08-01-2020, 07:34 PM
After divorce no.2 I could be working up until retirement age - mine is 67 but it could be 70 by then for others. Health issues I will just have to manage and make sure the body can still function when I am retired. No good if i can't hold a fishing rod, swing a golf club, hold a cold beer, or tie my shoe laces etc etc

I'd reckon a divorce would mess the financials big time, let alone the mental side.
Working is optional for me and has been for sometime and I only get the "why I'm doing this" in our brutal summers and OH - pee soup smoke doesn't help lol.
I'm just frightened to stop, I get bored on extended days off, ie due to rain, Christmas or limited work period in winter.
I've a nice boat to take out that's in showroom condition in my shed or the 1250cc Bike. But working hard is in my blood as its what I did in my old career and it remains with me.
Around Sept I drafted a post in detail to launch the topic as some members here I believe would relate to it fully and might like to put their thoughts into. But l never got to hit the send button, just the Preview Post button.
Anyhow its a post topic of interest I think.

Tomorrow a lazy 37 with 20km winds. But Friday now forecast 42 and 40 km winds with Mt Hotham 50km & Tumbarumba/Snowy region 55km winds + thunderstorms according to bom. It's not looking good again.
Windy at the moment and smoke thickening again as night falls, thanks to Total Tools today got some Premium Prochoice P2 valved masks. Bunnings have had no stock for some time.

A few calls coming in too from non regulars which I knock back, which could reinforce my comments that newbie victa corvette, curved shaft whipper mower guys have disappeared somewhat with the drought.

steveo
19-01-2020, 10:06 AM
this was the view out my bedroom window on 4 jan

That is definetley a redeye looking window ;-)

That is the sort of view where you start running around the house with buckets/ hoses/ ladders etc, think about shoving the family in the car, put some cotton clothes on and either just wait or get the **** out of there. It's nowhere near over yet.

steveo
19-01-2020, 10:08 AM
Maybe just tell those few clients without compassion to stick their job where the sun don’t shine.
From experience that should make you feel much better

egg zachary. There is never a shortage of crap customers. There is however a shortage of good ones.

NLALM
19-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Steve that quote is gold.....

Redeye
19-01-2020, 11:30 AM
egg zachary. There is never a shortage of crap customers. There is however a shortage of good ones.

spot on

edbeek
25-01-2020, 02:27 PM

I just mowed this one again for the first time since the end of October.
Had a bit of rain for January, but the response is slow.
I mowed this at full speed overr most of the area today.

steveo
05-02-2020, 08:25 PM
Its so dry now if you even look at a tree it will explode in flames. Dunno if it is true but 12million hectares burnt and still going.

bushfires.io is a great little website if anyone has a fire in there area or is just interested in the scale of this. Gathers all the info into one site.

You might find it handy for down your way redeye.

Redeye
05-02-2020, 09:24 PM
cheers steve, l'll check it out

steveo
06-02-2020, 07:34 AM
cheers steve, l'll check it out

I mispelled it. Its bushfire.io

Ties all the info together. Hotspots, burnt areas, warning areas, road closures, distance tool, wind direction, terrain etc.

Its only in Alpha phase so I wouldn't rely on it too much. I have been using BOM Meteye for the 7 day forecast.

irishjim
20-02-2020, 12:07 PM
What drought?warragamba dam is nearly overflowing now!I'm thinking of changing my name to Tarzan as everyone's lawn has turned to a jungle!ha!