PDA

View Full Version : Will fly spray kill plants?

Scooby Steve
26-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I have a wasp problem. They have managed to squeeze underneath a rockery at my place and have set up a nest. I have convulvolus (maybe wrong spelling, its a ground cover with purple flowers) cascading over this rockery so being able to spray anything and not get it on the leaves is going to be a tall order. So do you think a small amount of fly spray coming in contact with the leaves will kill off the plant?

I was thinking of spraying Mortein outdoor professional at the entrance of the nest and knocking them over with a basic fly spray as they come out. The nest is dug right in so cutting back the convulvolus is not an option.

ian
26-02-2013, 08:06 PM
http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-control/insects-ready-to-use/bayer-ant-wasp-dust/
Don't know how it will effect the plants but the dust collects on the wasps and they track it into the nest killing the whole nest

Fred's mowing
26-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Wasp powder, red celephane & a torch.
Blast em at night
, then cover the entrance.
Dont worry about the convovulous, it'll grow back.
Cheers Fred.

ian
26-02-2013, 08:16 PM
go out at dusk (this is when they go back to the nest) and watch where they go to makes sure you get all the entrances

ian
26-02-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.monash.vic.gov.au/community/wasps.htm

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Wait until dusk, soak a hand towel in kerosine, pour some kero down the hole then place the hand towel over the top. Within 24hrs they will be gone.

I nearly forgot. If you decide to deal with them yourself, do not wear flourecent clothing. I got this from an expert. They are attracted to fluro colours when they are annoyed.

Redeye
26-02-2013, 08:45 PM
flame thrower - convolvulus are fairly cheap

ian
26-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Wait until dusk, soak a hand towel in kerosine, pour some kero down the hole then place the hand towel over the top throw match on towel. they will be gone.

I nearly forgot. If you decide to deal with them yourself, do not wear flourecent clothing. I got this from an expert. They are attracted to fluro colours when they are annoyed.
. . .

great nature
27-02-2013, 06:04 AM
the convolvulus is virtually indestructable. it would laugh at fly spray. even if you managed to kill a section of it that section would grow back no probs without killing the whole plant because it puts roots down all over the place.
ide be more worried about killling yourself. good luck fella

simo
27-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Little bastards now I know why they chase me when I accidentlly trim there nests...

Kathryn
27-02-2013, 07:33 AM
trial and error. i once cured a sick alocasia with mortein. ants had eaten half the thickness of the trunk away. i dug up the plant, sprayed t with mortein and it loved it

Kathryn
27-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Little bastards now I know why they chase me when I accidentlly trim there nests...

have you ever been told that if you dont run they wont chase you?

its bad advise

ian
27-02-2013, 02:13 PM
have you ever been told that if you dont run they wont chase you?

its bad advise
so very true :laughing:
if you don't run they won't chase you, true they don't have to the bastards will just sting you to death where you're standing if you run you may escape some of the slower ones :)

Scooby Steve
18-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the help.

Purchased the ant/wasp powder as advised and wow did it work well. Waited until the wasp activity was slow and gave the entrance a good spray with the powder. All dead within a few hours.

No bites, thankfully. I've run over a wasp nest before with the mower and you know your alive at that moment i can tell you! This time i was a bit luckier.

ian
18-03-2013, 07:47 PM
i always have the powder in the van if i see a nest anywhere near a lawn I do it gets a dusting free of charge (unless i think i can get paid for doing it) i would rather spend a couple of $ and make sure i won't get bitten than save a buck and be in pain