PDA

View Full Version : Echo HC1500 or Shindiawa 22DH hedge trimmer

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
02-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Just looking for some opinions. I know they are both cheap, I'd only be using one or the other for light / fine work.

http://allpower.com.au/shop/hedge-trimmers/echo-hc1500.html

http://allpower.com.au/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Both have a 2 year commercial warrenty even though they are in the Homepro catorgory.

Redeye
02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
gotta be the shindy for the extra length - another 4.5" makes a big difference.....just ask your girlfrend lol

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
02-04-2013, 08:00 PM
gotta be the shindy for the extra length - another 4.5" makes a big difference.....just ask your girlfrend lol

Yeah the more I read the specs the more I think the shindy would be the better buy. One thing about the echo its japanese built and I've had a lot of good years out of other japanese equipment. Is the shindy made in japan? I've never owned any shindy gear.

Btw stop mentioning my girlfriend! If my wife finds out she will kill me. :FU:eek:

Redeye
02-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I only buy jap stuff too (virtually only makita now, due to their robin engines - but the price is more & heavier too) shindy seems popular here

starmow
02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Gleno you can check redshed they have tanaka i have one and work very good..
http://www.melbournesmowercentre.com.au/products/hedge-trimmers/hedge-trimmer-specials/tanaka-tht210s.php

ASTRO
02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Just looking for some opinions. I know they are both cheap, I'd only be using one or the other for light / fine work.

http://allpower.com.au/shop/hedge-trimmers/echo-hc1500.html

http://allpower.com.au/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Both have a 2 year commercial warrenty even though they are in the Homepro catorgory.

Would go with the shindy as it has the walbro carby as opposed to echos zama set-up.
And the blade set-up is excellent for fine pruning work.IMHO

Stripes
02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I used to have the Echo. It vibrated heaps and my hands would tingle after using it.

ian
02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
plus shindy parts are easy to get from the u.s :)

NLALM
03-04-2013, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't buy that model echo no swivel handle which I think is a must I would buy the tanaka that starmow pointed out they are very good hedgetrimmers. I use echo and stihl hedgetrimmers

ian
03-04-2013, 05:20 PM
chinese made tanaka i could be wrong and it may be made in japan like the tanaka or the tanakas could now be made in china :laughing: but yes the tanaka is a great hedger http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hitachi-2-Stroke-21-1cc-650mm-Petrol-Hedge-Trimmer-CH66EB3-/251252223063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a7fccac57

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. Ended up ordering the shindy. I have a hedge that I have been doing every 2 weeks for the last 4-5 months using the customers electric hedger but it died so figured its about time I bought a hedger for finer work. I only use to do rough hedging work as I was always worried about stuffing up someones nice maintained hedge. The customer has taught me a lot about the subject and now I have the confidence to take those better hedge jobs on instead of passing them off to other guys.

happymowin
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
ive found with hedges the customers have (generally) no idea whatsoever, so as long as it looks better when ya finished than when ya started, its sweet by them

so as long as you take some time while youre learning - (better to undercut, stand back have a look and cut again, than to cut too much off in one go) - then ya get quick really soon,

hedging is one of my best money spinners.

it IS hard on the shoulders and back, and youd be amazed sometimes how much waste you get from them, but i just charge accordingly.

i always seperate quotes (and think about them in my head this way): $$$ labour for cutting, $$$ labour for cleaning up, $$$ greenwaste.

AJD Mowing
03-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Dont forget the GST :wave-hi:

happymowin
03-04-2013, 09:17 PM
what gst?

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-04-2013, 10:22 PM
ive found with hedges the customers have (generally) no idea whatsoever, so as long as it looks better when ya finished than when ya started, its sweet by them

so as long as you take some time while youre learning - (better to undercut, stand back have a look and cut again, than to cut too much off in one go) - then ya get quick really soon,

hedging is one of my best money spinners.

it IS hard on the shoulders and back, and youd be amazed sometimes how much waste you get from them, but i just charge accordingly.

i always seperate quotes (and think about them in my head this way): $$$ labour for cutting, $$$ labour for cleaning up, $$$ greenwaste.

HaHa... Dont have any issues with quoting, I've done plenty of hedging including some monsters but now I want to do those hedging jobs that I don't come across too often around here, you know the ones where you can tell that someone has loved and cared for them not just cut them back every couple of years cause they are too overgrown.

AJD Mowing
04-04-2013, 05:05 AM
HaHa... Dont have any issues with quoting, I've done plenty of hedging including some monsters but now I want to do those hedging jobs that I don't come across too often around here, you know the ones where you can tell that someone has loved and cared for them not just cut them back every couple of years cause they are too overgrown.

x2
those customers always pay better and get you to do more work as well

irishjim
04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
sorry to hijack the thread folks,i will be in the market for trimmer soon too,stihl hs 45 are$400 at the mo,extra $50 for longer blade,would it b s better buy than the shindy??

Redeye
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
if you're after a decent blade length vs weight http://www.melbournesmowercentre.com.au/products/hedge-trimmers/petrol-powered-hedge-trimmers/tanaka-tht210s.php
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/taylors-lakes/other-tools-diy/tanaka-tht-210-hedge-trimmer/1015653532

imoww
04-04-2013, 04:08 PM
I would like to know what hedger is best for that clean smooth cut like it's been sliced through butter...?

NLALM
04-04-2013, 04:12 PM
A sharp one...........

happymowin
04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
A sharp one...........

i'd have to say X 2

the difference in my shindy hedger after i got it sharpened was amazing, you just get used to how it cuts and dont notice it over time.

then you get it sharpened, and its like when you put new blades on the mower, you say "DAMN that cuts good !!!"

i dot reckon the different machines will give a different cut, its more along the lines of how long you want the blade to be equals more reach, but more weight too, and having only used an articulated machine on the shindy multi tool, i cant imagine using one of the ones that looks like a chainsaw - you must have to bend over and stretch up a lot, whereas with the artic, you can reach from the ground to 8 foot high with ease, - i have the ultra small (10 cm?) pole between the multi tool motor and the artic hedging end. then i can use the 1 metre pole or the 2 metre pole if i want to go higher.

keep em sharp - thats the trick.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
04-04-2013, 06:17 PM
x2
those customers always pay better and get you to do more work as well

Ed zacary. I've wanted to take some photo's of this customers hedges but they wont let me until I remulch their garden beds, which I will be doing this coming monday.

They have had me at their place every 2 weeks doing the hedge and lawns for about 5 months if not they get me doing some other job around the place. Can be a bit troublesome at times but I've been polite and accommadating which has really been worth my while. Never complain about prices and very appreciative for the time I give them.

Chris B
04-04-2013, 08:34 PM
x 3 for sharp.. Stihl have models with a higher blade speed for 'trimming' (as opposed to heavier cutting back) which work better on finer stuff