PDA

View Full Version : Help? Stop soil between neighbours

imoww
02-04-2013, 09:14 PM
One of my client's soil is getting washed into his neighbour's place when it rains.
He wants me to place something in the ground next to his fence to stop his soil being washed into his neighbour's place.
He said maybe sleepers or planks of timber.
His neighbour's yard is lower than his too.
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do?

ian
02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
maybe sleepers or planks of timber :)

ian
02-04-2013, 09:31 PM
how is it getting washed in the fence should stop a lot of it so maybe something just above the soil level and down to the neighbours level maybe sleepers,planks of timber,root barrier plastic or fibro sheet

geoff1969
02-04-2013, 11:03 PM
how is it getting washed in the fence should stop a lot of it so maybe something just above the soil level and down to the neighbours level maybe sleepers,planks of timber,root barrier plastic or fibro sheet

could be a wire or weld mesh cyclone type fence ian ...
any photos you have of the problem imoww ? sure with a photo or 2 theres members out there with creative ideas .

AJD Mowing
03-04-2013, 06:01 AM
A cheap way out is fibro cement attached to the fence taken to the ground and painted. You can keep it level on the fence and either dig the bottom in or cut it to suit the fall of the ground..

imoww
03-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks guys. Ill take some photos when the rai stops.

happymowin
03-04-2013, 07:05 AM
ive used sleepers successfully for this at home.

theyre easy to work with as they are solid, so dont require many fixings/supports.

what style of fence is it?

also what are the spacings between the existing posts or places to fix them into (less than 3 m youre laughing)

its preferable (from ease of doing) to fix them into the existing fence rather than having to cement posts in (ive done it both ways)

cheers

happymowin
03-04-2013, 07:07 AM
btw, i like to use treated pine, much easier to work with (lifting, transporting, cutting screwing) and ive been told they are termite proof for longer as the poison can penetrate the whole way into the timber, with hardwood (apoparently) the poison is "in the surface" and can wear out after a time.

andrew
03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
if its a colourbond fence , you can use treated pine planks to slide into fence posts , but would need to disassemble fence
finish looks very neat too , bit of geotextile fabric between soil and sleeper to minimise any further sediment run off depending how big gaps are

ian
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
could be a wire or weld mesh cyclone type fence ian ...

in which case something just above the soil level and down to the neighbours level maybe sleepers,planks of timber,root barrier plastic or fibro sheet will still work
Remember if it's placed against the existing fence this should brace it from that side and as it's below the soil line on your clients side there should be no need to brace it from this side either

imoww
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys. Im going to use treated pine... I have to get a better look at it possibly tomorrow.

GardenGuy
04-04-2013, 04:55 PM
You might be able to design a garden bed with sleepers front and rear for a more elegant solution.

Also, depending on the slope that the soil is being lost from, you might be able to make some kind of mitigation by re-profiling the slope, adding garden beds, retaining walls, bunds, etc. It all comes down to what the client wants aesthetically and what the project budget is.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

happymowin
04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
You might be able to design a garden bed with sleepers front and rear for a more elegant solution.

Also, depending on the slope that the soil is being lost from, you might be able to make some kind of mitigation by re-profiling the slope, adding garden beds, retaining walls, bunds, etc. It all comes down to what the client wants aesthetically and what the project budget is.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

lol in my experience clients want the cheapes solution, but with the most expensive ideas.

i love the ones who do "the millionaires walk" when you go to quote, pointing at everything, "this needs trimming, do that, do this bla bla bla" then you hit em with the quote and its like "oh, well, just mow the lawn then"

:)

AJD Mowing
04-04-2013, 06:54 PM
There are people out there who want the best job and are willing to pay handsomely for it. Once you do a bit of that work and do a good job word of mouth kicks in.

happymowin
04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
yep, its like panning for gold, imo, theres a lot of good customers out there, ya just got to find them and hang onto them

its always a struggle, tho, when you take on new ones, or ones thatve never had someone do their work ("virgin" customers if you like lol) - they have no idea what it costs to do the work, and are often surprised by the quote.

some are just great, i did a new one today for $40, took 15 mins from starting to in the ute and gone.

i always now prefer the smaller yards, the corner blocks and the big yards are to me not worth it (or not worth as much as 2 or 3 small yards that i can knock over in the same time.)

PaulG
04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Imoww (sorry, still don't know your name?) is the runoff from rain coming from a neighbouring property or being generated on your client's property? Garden Guy had some good suggestions. It's about finding the solution that works best for your client. If teh runoff is coming from a neighbour can it be diverted before it reaches your client's garden soil. Farmers use contour banks across the slope for the same reason. Terraced garden beds across the slope could help.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
04-04-2013, 08:20 PM
i always now prefer the smaller yards, the corner blocks and the big yards are to me not worth it (or not worth as much as 2 or 3 small yards that i can knock over in the same time.)

Yes... But the bigger blocks and corner blocks pay more per job and you do less total number of lawns per day :big grin

:laughing:

Simmo.

ian
04-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes... But the bigger blocks and corner blocks pay more per job and you do less total number of lawns per day :big grin

:laughing:

Simmo.

true but i would rather do 20 15minute lawns a day @ $30 a lawn than 10 40minute lawns at $60 per lawn :)

04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
true but i would rather do 20 15minute lawns a day @ $30 a lawn than 10 40minute lawns at $60 per lawn :)

I like happy's example of 15 mins @ $40... Its less time mowing and more profit.

Well, thanks guy's... there goes my niche target market ;)

Simmo.

Greenie
04-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Not worth arguing with a know it all

04-04-2013, 09:50 PM

what subject has upset you this time?

Simmo.

ian
04-04-2013, 10:09 PM
this is why we don't argue with ourselves :laughing: at least not in public

imoww
07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
This client is a regular well paying lawnmowing one. I said it's going to be a day job. He said no problem. Ive looked the net and found this site to have the exct same issue.http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62340

Looks like Treated pine sleepers are the answer. Ill be doing some serious digging tomorrow and placing the sleepers in their spots.
Ill post before and after picks tomorrow night guys.
p.s. Happymowing... I love the ones with the millionaire walk when quoting also...

geoff1969
07-04-2013, 06:46 PM
not changing the subject but the fence in the link dosnt even run a bottom 6x1 plinith board on it .....

ian
07-04-2013, 07:55 PM
not changing the subject but the fence in the link dosnt even run a bottom 6x1 plinith board on it .....

least of the problems i can see the guy's have built the fence and given the whingeing tightarse extra land :) as the boundary line is supposed to be at the fence paling line and these guy's appear to have reversed the fence railings but not made allowance for this when they put the new posts in so in effect they have move the fence line and as long as no one says anything then the law of adverse possession will eventually take effect and he can claim that land as his,this is one reason fence builders don't like to change the fence orientation as when they move the posts to put the fence line in the correct place the people on the post and railing side then think they have lost land

imoww
09-04-2013, 05:28 AM
6145 before
6146 after
Job done

AJD Mowing
09-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Good job Mat...
What are the owners going to put on the ground there now?
looks a bit shady for grass?

PaulG
09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
There won't be an issue with water pooling there now will there? Is there enough fall for runoff?

imoww
09-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Yep. Theres enough run off for the water.
Thanks AJD. Hes not sure whats going to cover it yet

imoww
09-04-2013, 03:53 PM
My name is Matt PaulG.

imoww
09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
There won't be an issue with water pooling there now will there? Is there enough fall for runoff?

The sleepers are around 2 mil off the fence. There is weed mat wrapped underneath and up the side of the sleepers too. At least water can leak through but not the dirt.
Whats up Simmo???

NLALM
09-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Good job mate....

geoff1969
09-04-2013, 07:10 PM
looks neat and tidy imoww ..

09-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Whats up Simmo???

Not much... :i dunno:

Nice job by the way! Maybe the owner can put pebbles down the side with stepping stones? It's quite common in new estates and seems to work well with drainage etc.

Simmo.

ian
09-04-2013, 08:31 PM
My name is Matt PaulG.

You're called Matt PaulG now that's almost as confusing as me being Ian Siimmo :laughing:

siimmo :i dunno:

PaulG
09-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks Matt. I remember now from a few messages we had way back about photography or graphic design!

PaulG
09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
you're called matt paulg now that's almost as confusing as me being ian siimmo :laughing:

Siimmo :i dunno:

rofl

14rofl14rofl14

AJD Mowing
09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
You're called Matt PaulG now that's almost as confusing as me being Ian Siimmo :laughing:

You idiot :laughing::laughing::laughing:

09-04-2013, 10:00 PM

siimmo :i dunno:

I must say, you are becoming alot funnier in your old age... Iain Siimmo

Are you french sir?

Simmo.

imoww
10-04-2013, 05:47 AM
Yeah Simo.
I did a place a while back with the pebbles and step stones- posted pics of the job too. I was thinking of going with a reddish crushed granite or gravel. See what the owner says ...

Not much... :i dunno:

Nice job by the way! Maybe the owner can put pebbles down the side with stepping stones? It's quite common in new estates and seems to work well with drainage etc.

Simmo.

Greenie
10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Nice work Matt, you the man:):) I"l c ya sat:):)

imoww
11-04-2013, 06:31 AM
All cool Greenie (green peace)...

GardenGuy
13-04-2013, 11:11 PM
"Cowra Gold" pebbles and cast concrete steppers seems to be the go these days. It looks right tasty and is low maintenance... and for those of an architectural and geological mind, it has other advantages.

Best of luck.

Cheers - GardenGuy.