PDA

View Full Version : Edging for round garden bed in lawn

Leon241
14-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Looking for opinions on the best way to edge or surround this tree in a customers lawn.

Was thinking jarrah edging, but it's too small diameter and couldn't bend the jarrah enough. Just thinking about making a larger bed or changing the existing garden bed.

Any other thoughts on how to do circular edging? I'm not keen on the concrete or plastic edging types......

ps. I'm unsure of the tree type also?

Back to Basics
14-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Looks a bit like a Waterhousia Florabunda. Link edge loos great, aluminium. You can buy it in pre fabed circles. It is expensive though! Why a circle? Why not square it off?

ian
14-04-2013, 04:53 PM
http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_26367.htm
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_garden-edging-rolapak-150mm-3m-treated-pine_P3321019.aspx?search=garden+edging&searchType=any&searchSubType=products
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_garden-edging-barrier-ekologix-75x4mm-6m-composite-cjarrah_P3320926.aspx?search=garden+edging&searchType=any&searchSubType=products&page=2

Leon241
14-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks fellas,

I like that last product Ian. Bunnings delivers again! Will have to look into that one. As long as it doesn't look like the cheap-looking plastic edging you see around!

ASTRO
14-04-2013, 05:28 PM
With tree edging i use the metal rings on wine barrels, simple and effective.

urbanpatch
14-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Its quite small, I would spade it and nice mulch. On large beds we use 6mm flat bar at 75mm or 100mm, goes rusty and looks fantastic. You could drive over it with a car and it will be there for ever.

Woodchip
15-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I like urban's idea, ive never thought of that.

Whatever you get remember not to make life harder for yourself when you do the edging, ians second link(the half-round TP logs, natural enemy of the lawnie!) are a nightmare to whipper(grass grows up between the cracks, hard to get to), the U-sataples fall out of the back of them....terrible stuff.

ian's third link is good stuff i agree, the pegs do get in the whippers way again tho', I have put the pegs(with good over the top hooks) on the inside sometimes, seems to be ok too.

Equip Junkie
19-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Yep urbans on the money mate. bit of steel glue will hold her in place ;)

Leon241
26-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I used the jarrah "look a like" from bunnings and made it roundish. Not entirely happy with how it looks, the plastic is nothing like jarrah in appearance. Might re-do it just squaring it off with proper jarrah.6329

happymowin
26-05-2013, 11:33 AM
yeah, maybe you could also try a hexagon shape instead of square to fancy it up a bit?

i like using sleepers as edges, solid, easy to work with and screw together,

last time i use sleepers (at home) i secured them to the ground by drilling a 13mm hole thru them, and using reo rod - bunnies sells it in precut pieces which doesnt work out as expensive as youd assume, especially compared to concreting little posts in (and the time saving)

i like using batten type screws to join it together,

also (personally) i hate rocks used as "mulch" - they always get out of the enclosurte, then get picked up by the whippy and mower.

hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction,

cheers

PaulG
26-05-2013, 12:31 PM
There's iron spiked-rings in 600mm and 900mm like that 'Jarrah' edge available in England but I'm still trying to find it here. Don't think anyone's importing it yet. It would be a lot sturdier.