PDA

View Full Version : Garden design Help

imoww
30-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I have a client how wants a new garden bed.
Low maintenance ever green ( Aust natives) Height is around 40-60cm and a small bed of non flowering plants
But what type of plants to get???
I was thinking of agapanthus?

ian
30-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Agapanthus are non native,flower and in some places classed as invasive weeds

urbanpatch
30-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Yuck, portsea orchids and a noxious weed. Lomandra has heaps of nice grasses. Lime wave (i think) or tanika

imoww
30-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Just a thought for a maintenance free evergreen

ASTRO
01-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Acacia cognata 'dwarf dazzler' + 'mini-cog'
Lomandra spp.(fine-leafed + aurea varieties)
Festuca glauca
Coprosma X 'rainbow suprise' + 'karo red' + 'tequila' - some trimming to keep in check.

Not native but combine well in native plantings are the dwarf thuja,juniperus,cupressus varieties.
Cheers astro.

PaulG
01-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Some good suggestions popping up but it's going to be hard to do without flowers.

Another nice plant as a groundcover/rockery plant is the new Westringia "Flat 'n Fruity" which won't go past 30cms.

There's also a similar one from a few years ago called Westringia "Mundi".

They are both very low maintenance and will out-compete weeds once established.

http://gardendrum.com/2012/12/08/westringia-flat-n-fruity/

http://www.bestplants.com.au/native-shrubs-groundcovers/mundi.html

great nature
01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
whats the soil like? sandy, clay or loamy? is this bed in full sun, part or full shade? are there any problems with waterlogging, etc? irrigation?
other natives to look out for are:
correa dusky bells 30cm-1m high. 1m across. can keep it at any height(as with most shrubs) but once a year trim is enough. winter flowering.
correa reflexa nummeralia low growing small shrub
eremophilla species. small shrubs. many around 60 cm. really hardy and bushy but needs a trim twice a year.
lomandras are brilliant for foliage. will do any soil and no trimming at all. so many different heights and foliage variations.
dont get dianellas. they will spread all over your garden. pita
kanga paws if reasonably moist soil.
pretty in pink hebe. nice purple tips to the foliage. check it out, its a stunner.
+1 for pauls westringia. so bloody hardy. will live anywhere.

i could go on and on but i gotta get to work.
just remember, no plant is completely maintenance free, and most plants arent automatically drought tolerant, its best to give them infrequent deep watering while establishing to encourage a good, healthy deep root system. makes them stand up to drought so much easier.
if you still cant decide, head to a nursery with some measurements, even a photo, they will advise you what to deck it out with and how many you need. just make sure it isnt gonna be overcrowded in a few years.
ps. dont your dare plant aggies. laaaame.

urbanpatch
01-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Big tick for acacia cognata mini cog.

Back to Basics
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Big tick for acacia cognata mini cog.

Other wise know as the 'Cousin It' plant. Not joking either!

urbanpatch
01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
I think cousin it, is a casuarina, weeping sheoak prostrate.

Back to Basics
01-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Urban you are correct. Apologies!

imoww
03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
The soil is old and compact. Will be renewing it anyway.
Sunny area in the afternoon.
Cold climate area ( Suthern highlands NSW)

AJD Mowing
04-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Your like me Mat I don't have a clue about Plants just know how to look after them. After reading what the old hands have to say on here maybe take that info to the local nursery and see if they have a horticulturist and ask him :wave-hi:

Greenie
04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
why dont u just cememnt the area?? lol