PDA

View Full Version : The best manual hedge trimmer

BGC
25-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi anyone have any recomendations for a manual hedge trimmer? The Barnel 1100l looks good but is expensive ($100 delivered to Victoria). Are the Fiskars, Bacho or Felcos models just as good?

Redeye
26-06-2013, 07:16 AM
the barnells are great, worth the money. I'd imagine the felco are just as good; I don't like fiskar, not commercial quality IMHO

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-06-2013, 06:45 PM
I just use the cyclone's with adjustable handles from bunnings. As long as you keep them sharp they work fantastic . If you really want to spend some good money then you may as well spend it on a powered hedge trimmer. Just my thoughts anyway. Now loppers are another story.......

4 Gardens
26-06-2013, 07:05 PM
I had the barnellls, really nice but left them on top of my trailer, they fell off on a roundabout and got smashed by a truck.
Maybe this should have been posted on things that make me grumpy?

I now have some bahco that I bought at bunnings that work ok

Mow And Go
26-06-2013, 07:50 PM
i have bahco everything, pre-bunnings bahco lol bowsaw, secateurs, trimming saw, loppers and shears etc ...swear by them. good quality steel and I haven't managed to break them, which is an achievement on their behalf

BGC
26-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I liked the Bacho stuff, I have a small folding saw that lives in my work pants pocket. Between that and the felco 2 on my belt they are my most used tools.

I do have a stihl combi system hedger attachment which I use but like to use a hand hedger for finishing off. The hedger i was using was a cheapie that I bent.

m287j
26-06-2013, 10:56 PM
I have a pair of Bahco ones I use occasionally to tidy up the back of hedges against brick walls etc. Can't fault them, I think they where around $80.

PaulG
27-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I have a lot of proper Bahco gear too but re hedge shears I just have a $20 pair from the local Mitre10. They don't get used a lot but with a good sharp edge kept on them they do the job fine for me.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
27-06-2013, 07:58 PM
I have a lot of proper Bahco gear too but re hedge shears I just have a $20 pair from the local Mitre10. They don't get used a lot but with a good sharp edge kept on them they do the job fine for me.

Yep good gear for where it counts, you can spend $20 or $200 on a particular tool but if its used properly for the right sort of job, sharp and not being expected to do more than its capable then there is no need to spend a fortune.

mowbro
27-06-2013, 09:04 PM
I just use the cyclone's with adjustable handles from bunnings. As long as you keep them sharp they work fantastic . If you really want to spend some good money then you may as well spend it on a powered hedge trimmer. Just my thoughts anyway. Now loppers are another story.......

I'm with you Cranbourne, I've been using the extendable cyclones for 18 months now and they've done me really well. I try to only use them for the finer stuff or the touch ups and have a cheaper cyclone pair for the rough stuff. From memoery they were between $45 - $55 a pair.