PDA

View Full Version : Pruning an Olive tree.

ma1green
08-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I've got a job this week to do the trees, but i have never done one before. Is it to be done like any other fruit tree? Or is there anything that needs to be done, or more importantly what should not be done;)

great nature
08-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Ask your clients whether they want them for fruit or screening or do they want the height reduced.
For height reduction, pick the height and cut. They shoot back no probs from pretty much anywhere you cut to. They renovate well too.
If its for fruit production: cut out the center branches to let in more light for better fruiting. Thin out any branches that are to dense with foliage. You dont wanna tip prune to hard cos you will lose the flowers for spring. They fruit and flower on first year growth. But if the tree is getting to high you may as well cut the height as low as you want.
For screening treat as any other screening tree or hedge.
You could also take the time to fork around the dripline and feed with manure, blood and bone or dynamic lifter type food. And the like being mulched around too. Check for scale insects too. They love olives.

Fred's mowing
08-07-2013, 08:53 PM
x2
Great post!
You really need to find out the desired function of the tree.
Sometimes its more than just fruit production.
If its in an ornamental/asthetic garden you can compromise & have the best of both worlds.
Cheers Fred.

ma1green
09-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys, the client wants screening. But he also said he does use the fruit as well. They are very thin now and don't offer much in the way of screening, but in the summer it's ok. I'm meeting with him today to see exactly what would be the best solution.

great nature
09-07-2013, 06:35 PM
They will still fruit a bit even if pruned as a screen, you just get more fruit when you open up the center, etc.
If they are looking too thin you can cut the top branches back hard (by half or so)with clean and sharp loppers and saws. You will get strong shooting growth from those branches in spring. Give it a good feed.Then you just wanna cut back a few times as the new growth is growing over spring and summer to make those branches branch out. Not sure if I'm making sense or not. Have a look on the net, there will be plenty of info.