PDA

View Full Version : Light and dark patches in lawn

gsimpson58
03-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I have a customer who has a relatively new (less than 12 months old) yard that was turfed with buffalo (not sure what variety) which is under reticulation. I have noticed over the past few months that there patches of darker green appearing all over the back lawn. It seems like most of the yard has slowed down it's growthrate and faded a bit in colour but these other bits still look like summer growth. The whole yard seems to be evenly watered from what I can see when I check the sprinklers. Any ideas?

Greg Simmo

PaulG
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Check that it's not patches of Kikuyu growing through the Buffalo. They will be a brighter, darker green than Buffalo in Winter. I have some like that where prior to subdivision or development there were Kikuyu pastures and it is slowly re-emerging through the Buffalo.

Otherwise, there may be patches of more fertile soil or soil holding more water in some places. Is it possible that the sprinkler system may be leaking even?

great nature
03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Could be fescue or annual or perennial rye or even kentucky blue. They are all cool season grasses, which could be why they are more noticeable now. Pull out a piece and get a picture for us next time your there if you wanna be sure.
This is what I remember from tafe 7 years ago about how to tell them apart:
Rye grasses have purpley-red stems above the roots. Clumping grass.
Fescue has hairs along the leaf edges so if you run your fingers along the leaf edges the hairs will catch your fingers a little. Clumping grass.
Kentucky blue has a boat shaped tip(both edges of the tip curve in), not flat like other grasses. Clumping and a little running.
If it was me I'd feed up the buffalo throughout spring and summer and starve it autumn and winter. Scarify occassionally to cut up the runners and increase the amount of buff (not sure how many years you have to wait after grass is laid to scarify without harming young runners). And make sure the don't forget to water occasionally throughout spring, summer and possibly autumn.
Basically baby the buff and water deeply to encourage good strong healthy roots to out-compete the darker grass.
Please correct me if I've got any of that wrong, indies.