PDA

View Full Version : Weed spraying a large lawn.

johnny.ros
29-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi all.
Have a client with approx 3000 m2 of Couch grass that's infested with Chickweed and various Broadleaf.
I think I'd go mad trying to spot spray it!
I have a boom lance for my sprayer, but even with that it seems like a hell of a lot of work.
Have seen the Wheelspray
http://www.wheelspray.com/ws_lit05.pdf
Has anyone here used one?
Am also thinking of a powered backpack sprayer.
What do other contractors use?
Suggestions please.
John

urbanpatch
29-08-2013, 09:19 AM
We use a 50 litre tank. But if you only need to do one property just grab some containers of hose on weed n feed should only take an hour or so. Done it many times.

djkgrounds
29-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I was looking at something like this as I have a regular that's moving to acreage and may need it sprayed:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Precision-Products-7-Foot-Sprayer-Boom-TCB7-/251325775516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a842efe9c&_uhb=1

Not a bad price from the US

mowbro
29-08-2013, 06:29 PM
I'd tend to agree with Urbanpatch, if it's just one client then you might be able to get away with just the boom lance; you'll be surprised how quickly you can get it done.

I sprayed 1600m2 of bluegrass/ryegrass for wintergrass this morning and it would have taken me about 1 - 1.5 hours.

PaulG
29-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I spent 1.5 hours today on a lawn removing mature Wintergrass by hand. I won't spray again now 'til next April or May when it starts to germinate again.

Sprayed yesterday though for broadleaf, clover etc etc over about 400sqm with the Solo 4-spray boom on the 15 litre backpack and that alone took just under 1 hour walking at the right speed to deliver the right rate and that's pumping/pressurising the tank almost constantly. That's including refilling teh tank.

For 3000sqm (3/4 of an acre) you really need a powered sprayer or a spray rig on a ZTR. That wheeled sprayer would be easier than a backpack at least.

HPM
29-08-2013, 10:41 PM
I use a 25ltr motorised 2stroke backpack sprayer for all my jobs.
Got it on eBay and has done 3 seasons without any problems.

NLALM
30-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I spent 1.5 hours today on a lawn removing mature Wintergrass by hand. I won't spray again now 'til next April or May when it starts to germinate again.

Sprayed yesterday though for broadleaf, clover etc etc over about 400sqm with the Solo 4-spray boom on the 15 litre backpack and that alone took just under 1 hour walking at the right speed to deliver the right rate and that's pumping/pressurising the tank almost constantly. That's including refilling teh tank.

For 3000sqm (3/4 of an acre) you really need a powered sprayer or a spray rig on a ZTR. That wheeled sprayer would be easier than a backpack at least.

Paul when you are hand weeding an idea so you don't miss any weeds is to use a couple of string lines, just peg em down with some tent pegs only a couple of feet wide and walk up and down each bay that's if you want to be fussy. I used to do this on the bowling greens

HPM
30-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Mark. What type of sprayer do you use to spray your lawns.

PaulG
31-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Paul when you are hand weeding an idea so you don't miss any weeds is to use a couple of string lines, just peg em down with some tent pegs only a couple of feet wide and walk up and down each bay that's if you want to be fussy. I used to do this on the bowling greens

That's a great idea. Luckily the wintergrass was growing in clumps in several places in the lawn so it wasn't too bad to do this time. It was the only weed I was targeting on this occasion to do by hand as it's too late now to bother spraying it until next year. I did break out the Sempra for some nutgrass though.

NLALM
31-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Mark. What type of sprayer do you use to spray your lawns.

I have a swissmex backpack and a 12volt backpack which I use mostly as you know having the petrol machine no pumping is great and constant pressure you get better coverage. I also have an aussie boy that you push along its good but a few improvements would make these things the best sprayers for contractors.

South East Mowing
31-08-2013, 08:14 PM
I use a 25ltr motorised 2stroke backpack sprayer for all my jobs.
Got it on eBay and has done 3 seasons without any problems.

Hi HPM, which one did you get and how much. Think I may go down this path instead of one on my ZTR.

Redeye
31-08-2013, 09:03 PM
how's the weight when full?

johnny.ros
01-09-2013, 08:37 AM

Hi all and thanks for the ideas and opinions.
Spot on Paul!
Motorised backpack is OK, but 2500 m2 would require 25 refills.
10 kg backpack plus 20 kg herbicide = 35 kgs. Think I'll pass.
Will probably pick up one of these this week.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/95L-garden-weed-spot-sprayer-spray-tank-trailer-2M-boom-/350397173690?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Farming_Agr iculture_Farming_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item51954c8fba
Anyone used one before? Pros? Cons?
Cheers
Johnny

HPM
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi HPM, which one did you get and how much. Think I may go down this path instead of one on my ZTR.

It's just the cheap Chinese one for a couple hundred. I replaced the hose and wand with a good brass unit that I can change the spray tips. The motor and pump have lasted 2 seasons with no repairs so its paid for itself.

HPM
01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
how's the weight when full?

The sprayer is only about 5kg empty so I fill the unit and get it started then put it up onto a garbage bin to put it on. Once its on its ok and is empty within 15 or so mins.

cylo
16-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi all and thanks for the ideas and opinions.
Spot on Paul!
Motorised backpack is OK, but 2500 m2 would require 25 refills.
10 kg backpack plus 20 kg herbicide = 35 kgs. Think I'll pass.
Will probably pick up one of these this week.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/95L-garden-weed-spot-sprayer-spray-tank-trailer-2M-boom-/350397173690?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Farming_Agr iculture_Farming_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item51954c8fba
Anyone used one before? Pros? Cons?
Cheers
Johnny

Hey Johnny, how did you go with this? Im considering purchasing as well. Been getting a few enquiries for spraying school ovals over the yrs, too much for the solo and boom, so might be worth purchasing and making use of it on some acreage clients sometimes as well. Did you end up buying?

cylo
17-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Anyone else on here own or operate a tow behind spray unit? if so what are you using and your opinions on it.

Doing a school oval next week so hasn't left me much time for research.

johnny.ros
17-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Hey Johnny, how did you go with this? Im considering purchasing as well. Been getting a few enquiries for spraying school ovals over the yrs, too much for the solo and boom, so might be worth purchasing and making use of it on some acreage clients sometimes as well. Did you end up buying?
Hi Cylo
I did end up buying one.
You have to take care if you're using it around plants as it's got a 6' spray pattern, but would be perfect for schools etc.
The cord that plugs into the pump has an online switch, but when you connect the other end to the battery, you have to reach way back to operate the pump. I've extended mine but will hard wire a connection to the rear of the mower and a switch on the dash when I have the time.
If you're towing it behind a Walker (and maybe other brands), you'll have to weld up a gooseneck for the mower hitch as it's way too high for the sprayer.
The spot spray is really handy but I'll probably extend the hose on that as well.
Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect, but with some mods and some 'quiet time' to experiment, it'll come in very handy.
Did a great job of knocking off the weeds.
Johnny

cylo
18-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi Cylo
I did end up buying one.
You have to take care if you're using it around plants as it's got a 6' spray pattern, but would be perfect for schools etc.
The cord that plugs into the pump has an online switch, but when you connect the other end to the battery, you have to reach way back to operate the pump. I've extended mine but will hard wire a connection to the rear of the mower and a switch on the dash when I have the time.
If you're towing it behind a Walker (and maybe other brands), you'll have to weld up a gooseneck for the mower hitch as it's way too high for the sprayer.
The spot spray is really handy but I'll probably extend the hose on that as well.
Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect, but with some mods and some 'quiet time' to experiment, it'll come in very handy.
Did a great job of knocking off the weeds.
Johnny

Good on ya Johnny, picked one up this morning, first thing I noticed was the lead being so short, they weren't very generous at all! I will need to lengthen that before being able to use it, did you already have some wire laying around or did you buy some?

I don't have a tow hitch on my Ferris machine, however It should be pretty simply to make one up, will make it to suit the height at the same time, I also have a tow behind aerator so hopefully the heights are very similar, otherwise ill need to make a separate neck as you suggest.

did you find it easy enough to work out the right speed/pressure to get an even coverage. I see they give an indication in the user manual

johnny.ros
18-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Good on ya Johnny, picked one up this morning, first thing I noticed was the lead being so short, they weren't very generous at all! I will need to lengthen that before being able to use it, did you already have some wire laying around or did you buy some?

I don't have a tow hitch on my Ferris machine, however It should be pretty simply to make one up, will make it to suit the height at the same time, I also have a tow behind aerator so hopefully the heights are very similar, otherwise ill need to make a separate neck as you suggest.

did you find it easy enough to work out the right speed/pressure to get an even coverage. I see they give an indication in the user manual

Hi Cylo.
I did have some wiring lying around but had to pick up some plugs (same as existing) from Jaycar.
Ran it at about 20 PSI on the boom as recommended. Didn't bother with the table in the book though.
A watch, measuring container, a nice stretch of bitumen to test it on with water to check for pattern and trial and error is what I used.
You're not going to break any speed records while you're using it, thats for sure.
Just modified the boom today actually. Got some small 'L' brackets and fixed them to the uprights that hold the boom.
Now I can turn the boom so that the spray nozzles face downward and not backwards. May be useful in tight situations.
I'll test it out on the weekend and let you know how I go.

cylo
20-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi Cylo.
I did have some wiring lying around but had to pick up some plugs (same as existing) from Jaycar.
Ran it at about 20 PSI on the boom as recommended. Didn't bother with the table in the book though.
A watch, measuring container, a nice stretch of bitumen to test it on with water to check for pattern and trial and error is what I used.
You're not going to break any speed records while you're using it, thats for sure.
Just modified the boom today actually. Got some small 'L' brackets and fixed them to the uprights that hold the boom.
Now I can turn the boom so that the spray nozzles face downward and not backwards. May be useful in tight situations.
I'll test it out on the weekend and let you know how I go.

I did the same thing with the L brackets, don't think its a very good idea spraying backwards as they have it set up! I figure that's not the way I do it with the backpack sprayer... Just a matter of getting the height correct now, what height did you set yours with the nozzles pointing straight down?

Does you pressure switch shut the pump off @ 20PSI? This one is cutting out at 40 PSI but when I drop it bellow that the pump just continues to run. I'm wondering if the pressure switch is faulty.

DavidS
21-09-2013, 06:07 PM
I have a Silvan 100 litre unit with a 2 metre boom, I have a 3x3 box trailer that hooks onto the tow ball on my Cox mower, I have the Silvan clamps which allow you to twist the boom to aim the jets straight down 45 degrees or horizontal. Makes life easy and when I am not spraying I can use the mower and trailer to weed gardens or move mulch when I cant get a ute and trailer in. I had to make up my own wiring and mounted a switch in the dash of Cox, so it is all controlled from the mower. I also have a wand sprayer which I use for spraying around fence lines and sheds out here.