PDA

View Full Version : Trimming flax/dianella

South East Mowing
26-09-2013, 09:40 PM
I have been told by a wise man that you can get suitable hedge trimmers that will cut these plants.

What blade is everyone using to cut these?

From my experience unless cutting them really low where plant is tight they tear with hedge trimmer blades,

Got to quote 140 of them so anything that makes it easier and quicker will help.

m287j
26-09-2013, 10:18 PM
I have found with Flax and Dianella's you cannot trim them professionally with a hedge trimmer, only hedging shears. I have used hedging shears with good results, my trusty Bahco ones.

South East Mowing
26-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I have found with Flax and Dianella's you cannot trim them professionally with a hedge trimmer, only hedging shears. I have used hedging shears with good results, my trusty Bahco ones.

That was the next question. I have plenty of cheap hedging shears but will need a good set. Any particular type? How long do they stay sharp on Flax & Dianellas before you touch them up

mowbro
27-09-2013, 10:51 PM
I'd also be keen to know what methods fellow contractors use to cut them? As in, do you cut them back to a ball shape (i.e longest fronds in the middle) or do you straight across the top?

Is one way better than the other in terms of the way the plant looks once it's new strappy leaves come out?

TomS
28-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I'd also be keen to know what methods fellow contractors use to cut them? As in, do you cut them back to a ball shape (i.e longest fronds in the middle) or do you straight across the top?

Is one way better than the other in terms of the way the plant looks once it's new strappy leaves come out?

I am also keen to hear your ideas on flax. I am never quite happy with how they turn out.

And your favourite shears?? My Loppers are Fiskars and they are terrific, but I bought them 20 years ago. Bunnings is full of cheap Fiskars stuff for half the price it used to be, so I suppose it knocked up cheaplly in Shechuan like everything else.

shorter, longer, telescopic handles, wavy blade??

Tom

I would appreciate your advice!

Fred's mowing
29-09-2013, 09:17 AM
IMHO, most grasslike plants are usually considered informal/low maintenance plantings.
If they are in a position where they are overgrowing paths or overpowering other plantings, a possible re think of the design might be in order.
I know what you mean though, power hegers dont have a wide enough opening & will just tear at the wider leaves.
Sharp hand shears are the only way to go if you must & still want a reasonable finish.
Are they all to be cut down to groung level to encourage a new flush of growth? or are you just taking the odd few leaves off to tidy up the plant?
Cheers Fred.

m287j
29-09-2013, 09:23 AM
I have 1 strata complex in particular where I need to trim the Dianella's and Flax regularly. I trim the Dianella's into a tight ball shape twice a year and the Flax generally across the top. I tend to sharpen by Bahco's every six months.
Trimming the Dianella's is quicker than the flax as they seem to have a slightly stronger leaf and cut easier.

GardeningSolutions
29-09-2013, 09:35 AM
I have been told by a wise man that you can get suitable hedge trimmers that will cut these plants.

What blade is everyone using to cut these?

From my experience unless cutting them really low where plant is tight they tear with hedge trimmer blades,

Got to quote 140 of them so anything that makes it easier and quicker will help.

I cut them with very sharp fiskars and make sure theres no slack in the bolt connecting the two blades or it'll just tear the leaf and jam. I reduce the plant by 2/3 into a ball shape and they tend to look ok as they grow. Sometimes if the plant is taken to ground I use the stihl kombi hedge trimmer and tear the crap out of it. They come back. 140 plants is a bloody hard job. Your back and arms will ache after the first hour. Allow plenty of time.

South East Mowing
29-09-2013, 12:03 PM
IMHO, most grasslike plants are usually considered informal/low maintenance plantings.
If they are in a position where they are overgrowing paths or overpowering other plantings, a possible re think of the design might be in order.
I know what you mean though, power hegers dont have a wide enough opening & will just tear at the wider leaves.
Sharp hand shears are the only way to go if you must & still want a reasonable finish.
Are they all to be cut down to groung level to encourage a new flush of growth? or are you just taking the odd few leaves off to tidy up the plant?
Cheers Fred.

I put this up because I seem to be getting quotes with heaps of these plants - and requests to cut them back .

The ones I am quoting on are not thick and dense like some and have been cut back at least once so just cutting new growth.
They are at a Hotel which want them cut back from windows and path ways in some places.

What are a good set and type of hand shears? As Tom said > shorter, longer, telescopic handles, wavy blade??

geoff
29-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I do agree by hand shears is the best finish but i have several hundred in car parks and entrances to estates and using the multi tool standing up is the only feasable way for me...sure you do get some tear but with sharp smaller hedger blades ( one s found on the multi tool )cutting from bottom up can be effective i find especially for the Dianella's . Sure flaxes being a wider leaf is tough lucky i dont have any of those in my plantings (why would you lol )
With the commercial properties managers are only concerned from the point of good access and only see the carpark from a distance so as long as it looks tidy thats all they worry about...

danz
01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
I use a stanley knife and cut at base for NZ flax.

Scooby Steve
13-10-2013, 08:04 PM
A sharp set of quality shears and someone on the far end of the leaf holding it tight. Takes time but gives a great finish.

great nature
14-10-2013, 06:31 AM
I use a stanley knife and cut at base for NZ flax.
Ahhh. good one. Wouldnt have thought of that for large flaxes.