PDA

View Full Version : fertiliser for natives plants and shrubs

djkgrounds
27-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi can anyone please recommend a good organic fertiliser to put down for a new landscaping project using native plants and shrubs. The project I have coming up is for a new doctors surgery in a rural environment with water ways and livestock within the vicinity . I have about 140mē of ground to cover, with about 350 plants to put in.

Cheers Damien

troppo
27-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Katek Supergrowth!!!!! Only 1.8% phospouros, so safe on all natives. I use it on everything and its amazing. Can get it in pellet form or as a fines. I use the fines all the time as it has a faster take-up. Excellent for putting on top of mulch or lawns around trees, as it waters straight in. All my customers are amazed at the results and love the idea of organic. Personally, I wouldn't consider using anything else.

great nature
27-09-2013, 05:45 PM
You can use just about any fert on natives btw, as long as the total phosphorus is under 2%. Look on the back of the bag/pack it will tell you the % of nutrients.
Or it might have a NPK rating and Phosphorus is P in that.

imoww
27-09-2013, 06:48 PM
What about seasol?

urbanpatch
27-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Is Seasol a root tonic not a fertilizer. What about rooster booster or some sort of organic composted chicken manure? Blood n bone.

djkgrounds
27-09-2013, 10:37 PM
I was thinking blood and bone as well, just have to check the NPK's. I knew about the low Phosphorus levels but didn't think they needed to be that low (2%) so thanks for that guys.

imoww
07-09-2014, 07:24 AM
what about Dynamic lifter then? its 1.6 phospouros

Redeye
07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
DL is ok to use in small amounts, cow poo is good as is blood & bone - just don't be heavy handed

troppo
07-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Not a big fan of DL because it has been steamed. I still seriously recommend Katek Super Growth if you can get it local. Just go to the Katek website and read up on it. It hasn't been steamed, so it has all the good living microbes in it, and phosphorus under 2%. I use it on pretty well everything with extremely good results. Just follow the application rates as too much on natives, or anything else for that matter can be bad news.

DavidS
08-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Yes Katek is good stuff, I also use their Super Grass which really good to.