PDA

View Full Version : Hedge trimmer making loud sound

imoww
06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
My pole tool hedge trimmer attachment is making a loud like scratching rusty scissors sound when in operation??? works but damn loud.
I replace it with another trimmer attachment which had a few teeth missing and it had no sound at all.
I had to replace the blades and now this one is making the loud sound?
Any ideas guys?
Ive oiled the blades and greased everything too.

AJD Mowing
06-10-2013, 08:01 PM
What is the make of the hedge trimmer Matt?

imoww
06-10-2013, 10:29 PM
honda. but the attachments are copys
dean.

urbanpatch
07-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Can you put lube in the gears? My stihl had a blade shapen the other day and he put a tube of lube in it like tooth paste. It was dry.

imoww
08-10-2013, 04:34 AM
Yep. Ive packed them both with grease...

Fred's mowing
08-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Yep. Ive packed them both with grease...

Ok..... so try packing the blade bolt recess holes with grease & check that the blades are straight & properly adjusted.
Only other thing I have had a prob with is an out of alignment inner drive shaft.
The rubber spacers between the inner & outer shaft can deterierate.
The inner shaft then wobbles vibrating the reciever (dont know the tech term) which vibrates other components in the gearbox.
I would describe the noise as a screach?
Does your machine also vibrate considerably when the noise is heard?
Cheers Fred.

imoww
08-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks Fred.
I did pack the blade bolt recess with grease.
no vibration when the screaching carrys on.
Ive got 3 attachments and after an hour or so of continued use, they all do this screaching.
Also, ive noticed that the blades are moving but not cutting when the screaching.
In bed so cant check the blades out

edbeek
08-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Sounds like maybe one or more of the shaft guides are binding up when it gets hot. If you pull the inner shaft out you might see some wear and/or blue-ing of the shaft where it runs through the guides. Then I'd check the clutch as well.

imoww
24-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Found the problem.
The whole blade shaft was bent.
The bottom blades kept stopping and getting jammed.