PDA

View Full Version : Best approach for followup for quotes and old clients???

TomS
15-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Hi Folks,

What approach have you found best following up people you have quoted for?

They say 'I'l' talk to my mum/ daughter/ husband/ the pope) about it" and you never hear from them again. Do you chase'em up? Sometimes I think I should call people I've done one-offs or ferals for and see if they want anything done .. but I don't like the knock-backs much.

Your advice much appreciated.

Seem to be spending half my time quoting at the minute. Half are ferals. I'm only getting 50% of my quotes and when I do get 'em they take twice as long as I budget for. Thinking of giving people quality options: $50 to knock it down for the landlord, $100 for the works. Hate to compromise my exacting standards...

Tom

GardeningSolutions
16-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Call the quote back a few days/ week later as sometimes their lives are busy and they forget about you. Don't call if you don't want it. Some jobs/ clients turn out to be PITA when you attend the quote. Walk away. Industry rule of thumb is 80% success rate of quotes. I usually give two options, the bells & whistles and a cheaper option, or if the job is a clean up also quote a price for ongoing regular work even if they don't ask for it. It'll get them thinking. You want regular work to avoid wasted time quoting. Quoting is sales and essentially you're selling yourself and your abilities so look professional and be confident. If you are under quoting then add an extra hour to the job when working it out.

AJD Mowing
16-10-2013, 06:39 AM
I dont if they want me they ring.

Dazz1
16-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Hi Tom,
I never follow up quotes, if I hear "I'll talk to my Husband, Wife, Boss, Mum, I know straight away that quote was a waste of time.
If the client says they will call you back after doing a quote and I don't hear from them in 24 hours they probably have someone else doing it.
As long as your doing quotes your on the right track, I'd worry if I wasn't doing quotes. I always give them a regular price first and then give the first clean up price, even for a one off job.
As for standards, I refuse to do half a job (no edging clippings all over the footpath and road) on a front yard because you never know who's watching that needs a job done and if they see a crap job and you name is on your vehicle out the front it doesn't look good.

imoww
16-10-2013, 01:34 PM
I dont if they want me they ring.

yep. same here.
i dont chase them up. they got my number.
ive given quotes before and after a week get another
request for a quote from the same house but different
person

TomS
16-10-2013, 09:08 PM
yep. same here.
i dont chase them up. they got my number.
ive given quotes before and after a week get another
request for a quote from the same house but different
person

Thanks fellas. All grist for the mill!

Tom

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi Tom,
I never follow up quotes, if I hear "I'll talk to my Husband, Wife, Boss, Mum, I know straight away that quote was a waste of time.
If the client says they will call you back after doing a quote and I don't hear from them in 24 hours they probably have someone else doing it.
As long as your doing quotes your on the right track, I'd worry if I wasn't doing quotes. I always give them a regular price first and then give the first clean up price, even for a one off job.
As for standards, I refuse to do half a job (no edging clippings all over the footpath and road) on a front yard because you never know who's watching that needs a job done and if they see a crap job and you name is on your vehicle out the front it doesn't look good.

Yep agree with Darren and don't give an initial price for a job that's too cheap unless you tell them it is a once off special price. No point giving a regular price of say $45 dollars if they can leave it for 6 weeks for $70 dollars.

Stump
17-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Call the quote back a few days/ week later as sometimes their lives are busy and they forget about you. Don't call if you don't want it. Some jobs/ clients turn out to be PITA when you attend the quote. Walk away. Industry rule of thumb is 80% success rate of quotes. I usually give two options, the bells & whistles and a cheaper option, or if the job is a clean up also quote a price for ongoing regular work even if they don't ask for it. It'll get them thinking. You want regular work to avoid wasted time quoting. Quoting is sales and essentially you're selling yourself and your abilities so look professional and be confident. If you are under quoting then add an extra hour to the job when working it out.
I do exactly the same. I start off with,..... well, to maintain the property you would be looking at $xx, but to get it back to a sparkling condition you will need to spend a little more initially,.......The first mention of dollar is what they tend to weigh up the quotes long term value. It also gives them something to weigh up the value of the quote in their head, which they can make sense of.
Without the maintenance price they have nothing but your hourly rate to work out.