PDA

View Full Version : OH&S Leverage?

BSD
17-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Ok, so some of us have the rules and insurance in place, if I went to an estate agent/body corp/industrial site, showed my doc's, and said your contractors are going to be in big trouble as well as you if they do not have thier **** together. I had a mob the other day wanting a quickie job but were only looking for price, now my act is together with all the documentation,would it have helped in the decision of who gets the work?....or would the person in charge of decision making process favour ME?...KNOWING THE ONUS IS ON THEM IF SOMETHING WENT WRONG and they approved someone who is behind the times and slack?...opinions req'd.

djkgrounds
17-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I think anything that shows you are serious about your business and yours and others safety will help in any job you are trying to get.

I do some occasional work with a realestate, they never asked for any paper work. I supplied my insurance certificate myself.

South East Mowing
17-12-2013, 09:06 PM
I think anything that shows you are serious about your business and yours and others safety will help in any job you are trying to get.

I do some occasional work with a realestate, they never asked for any paper work. I supplied my insurance certificate myself.

I just got this email last week. If you want this type of work get in touch with Dean and get your OH&S in order.

"We are currently updating all our Occupational Health & Safety details for the contractors working at the Owner’s Corporation properties we manage.

Work Safe Victoria have confirmed that to comply with OH&S regulations these documents must be completed by contractors who work at the property.

Please sign and date the attached JSA and Contractor’s Safe Working Agreement. Please also insert relevant insurance details on the last page of the Contractor’s Safe Working Agreement."

BSD
18-12-2013, 03:59 AM
Thats what i mean, I also have the W.H&S from Dean, although Ive done bugger all mowing (semi retired) I just dont want workcover or whoever giving me headaches, The industry I came from was big on oh&s. So, thats the rules thesedays, what a PITA, no wonder manufacturing has gone to 3rd world countries, see how many deaths in China mining industry etc due to poor safety etc, I suggest to anyone who hasn't read the topic that Dean posted on WH&S, to get things in order or you'll be losing some big clientelle.
I just got this email last week. If you want this type of work get in touch with Dean and get your OH&S in order.

"We are currently updating all our Occupational Health & Safety details for the contractors working at the Owner’s Corporation properties we manage.

Work Safe Victoria have confirmed that to comply with OH&S regulations these documents must be completed by contractors who work at the property.

Please sign and date the attached JSA and Contractor’s Safe Working Agreement. Please also insert relevant insurance details on the last page of the Contractor’s Safe Working Agreement."

Scooby Steve
19-12-2013, 03:42 PM
It's funny they make us dance like monkeys re oh&s and then give the job to some cheapie who doesn't have any, wtf. We have had a lot of body corps and commercial ask if our oh&s is in order, we say yes and thats as far as they go.......what they don't want proof??? Apparently just answering yes to that question is sufficient for some of them.

Can't speak for the rest of you but for all the oh&s extras we are having to do i don't see rates going up to compensate, but maybe thats just our mobs and not the norm :i dunno:.

NLALM
19-12-2013, 04:47 PM
It's funny they make us dance like monkeys re oh&s and then give the job to some cheapie who doesn't have any, wtf. We have had a lot of body corps and commercial ask if our oh&s is in order, we say yes and thats as far as they go.......what they don't want proof??? Apparently just answering yes to that question is sufficient for some of them.

Can't speak for the rest of you but for all the oh&s extras we are having to do i don't see rates going up to compensate, but maybe thats just our mobs and not the norm :i dunno:.

I find things the same around these parts , pros who take the responsible approach to running their business by having all this stuff in place lose work to the ones who probably don't know what oh&s is. I also find its not what you know but who you know that gets some blokes a lot of work

BSD
19-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Good point, however if an agent contracted someone who is not certified in some way or another then the agent is liable to the owner/body corp for NOT using a contractor who is certified, and workcover will fine the backside off both....this is what i'm led to believe :)....can you imagine going to court and being asked what controls did you have in place to reduce the risk?....and you say its verbal,... sorry...your a dead duck, with the agent/rep going down also,Try and get a service agreement with a major provider to other companies, they will want all the certification or you'll miss out. So I believe if your quoting on a standard block of townhouses and you provide the secretary with good solid documentation of your OH&S procedures with insurance in place and the secretary doesen't want his/her ass sued off, then your in with abetter chance, I bet Jim''s has it all together with this one.
I find things the same around these parts , pros who take the responsible approach to running their business by having all this stuff in place lose work to the ones who probably don't know what oh&s is. I also find its not what you know but who you know that gets some blokes a lot of work

BSD
19-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Rambled on somewhat here but thats whats got me focused on things atm.

PaulG
19-12-2013, 09:09 PM
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?11053-Jims-OH-amp-S

administrator
18-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Good morning Chris & Dean,

I just wanted to advise you both that we have been successful in securing the Defence Housing Tender for the next 3 years.

Thank you Chris for your contribution to making this possible with the WHS information you supplied, which was outstanding.

I am truly grateful to Independent Lawn Mowing Contractors of Australia for having this assistance available, making it possible for us to compete against the “big boys”.

Kind Regards,

Craig
http://www.indmowing.com.au/html/WorkHealthandSafetyManagementPlan.htm

South East Mowing
27-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Just got a 12 month contract for some grounds maintenance with a large company I id some work for a few years ago.
Going through their contractor application form and the OH&S has become more detailed. Like it was when I contracted to Southern Health 5 years ago we now have to get approved online.
Have not done that part so will let you know when I get it done.
Just remember everyone it is a consistent "work in progress" with OH&S

imoww
28-07-2015, 07:19 AM
WHS is very similar to the swms. Allot of my clients request a swms.

NLALM
02-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Just reading up on this stuff again , its nearly insurance renewal time. And Ive been asked a few times lately about this stuff. So I think 10 million liability insurance will be what I will go for from now on. Plus Deans work health and safety plan. A job I went for required 20 mill plus all documentation of ohs stuff.

Scooby Steve
03-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Ok, so some of us have the rules and insurance in place, if I went to an estate agent/body corp/industrial site, showed my doc's, and said your contractors are going to be in big trouble as well as you if they do not have thier **** together. I had a mob the other day wanting a quickie job but were only looking for price, now my act is together with all the documentation,would it have helped in the decision of who gets the work?....or would the person in charge of decision making process favour ME?...KNOWING THE ONUS IS ON THEM IF SOMETHING WENT WRONG and they approved someone who is behind the times and slack?...opinions req'd.

Most customers don't care. It's price, price and oh did i mention price. For the most part it's only really big companies or body corps that really care about it. I've been in business a long time and apart from a small handful of clients over that time nobody asks about it. Nobody cares, till something goes wrong.

South East Mowing
04-07-2016, 10:42 PM

For me I prefer to work for the companies who take an interest in my health and safety. Just like you would expect if you were an employee.
If they don't realise that we need these things to educate myself, my employess, and also protect us and their people and property I am really cautious.
They have to join the 21st century sometime!!

Scooby Steve
11-07-2016, 03:46 PM
For me I prefer to work for the companies who take an interest in my health and safety. Just like you would expect if you were an employee.
If they don't realise that we need these things to educate myself, my employess, and also protect us and their people and property I am really cautious.
They have to join the 21st century sometime!!

What do you suggest for contractors that are mainly dealing with ressies. They don't care. As long as your insured that's about as far as there care factor goes.

I'd bet that 95% of contractors would fail work safe guidelines. Guards on brushies? Signs displayed? Doubt it.

BeetleJuice
11-07-2016, 04:54 PM
I'd bet that 95% of contractors would fail work safe guidelines. Guards on brushies? Signs displayed? Doubt it.
See it all the time,mostly not wearing fluro,no hard toe shoe,no ear or eye protection.Just the sort of thing a passing work safe employee would look at with interest,gives them a reason for a onsite spot check