PDA

View Full Version : Fax software on the computer

Tonyr
14-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Need some info please...

Just wandering about Fax software on the computer, is it good?
Pros, cons?

Our phone/fax died and instead of buying another thought using the computer would be OK as it is on all of the time...

Have 2 phone lines...

Ebony
16-06-2004, 09:09 AM
I don't actually know of any myself Tony but I will look into it a bit further. Receiving faxes should be fine, just not sure of sending them.

Ebony

Tonyr
16-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Update:

Spent a couple of hours mucking with the Fax Wizard in Office 2000.

Seemed harder to get a template saved and easily bought to the screen to fill in then send, quite a chore really...

Lots of good things in office 2000, but I think it was never meant to replace a standard fax system, then maybe if I had more time and patience I could get it running better.

I like the simplicity of works 95 better, but you can't send a template to fax like in office 2000.

So, I'll just stick with the old way....

just thought an update would be useful incase anyone else ever contimplated trusting their putter to send and receive faxes.

Ebony
16-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Tony, I was just thinking. Why would you want to go for software rather then hardware? Unless the software is freeware wouldn't it usually be just as expensive as purchasing a fax (considering most electronics are getting cheaper everyday). My sister purchased a printer, scanner and fax all in one for a very good price. The one we have here was purchased about 2 yrs back, cost $1,600 OUCH

I will keep looking for you though

Ebony

Tonyr
16-06-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm cheap! LOL.

No seriously, just thought I'd utilise the fax feature in office 2000 as it may of saved my buying a new dedicated fax.

I don't use the fax often but govn. likes to fax over post, and it is professional to have a fax.

Trying to not spend if I could, but now I know I'm better off to just fork out and get another fax, best anyway really incase the p.c ever dies...again lol.

Already have a photocopier, so just have to go to the goodguys and get another fax. I was just trying to be stingy! ha, ha.

Ebony
16-06-2004, 10:00 AM
OK, someone has better search capabilities then me hehe, was just given these links:

FaxTools eXpert 8.0
License Free to try

Sending a fax is now as simple as sending an e-mail. With FaxTools eXPert you can send and receive faxes over the Internet or through a modem from the convenience of your desktop. FaxTools eXpert is simple to install, easy to operate, and works with virtually any modem. Send a fax from any Microsoft Windows application such as Word or Excel. Manage all your e-mail and fax communication from one interface, import multiple e-mail accounts and check each account simultaneously. Save up to 40% on long distance faxes by sending them over the Internet. Forward faxes to any e-mail address or fax machine. Create Fax Broadcasting campaigns, Schedule faxes to send during off-peak hours to save money. Create professional faxes with the Image and Template editor. Integrates with Microsoft Outlook to prevent opening multiple applications and easy contact list editing.

www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/0,39024478,39077093s,00.htm

WinFax PRO 10.0

This one has a price tag, so probably defeats the purpose ;)

http://www.symantec.com/winfax/

Tonyr
16-06-2004, 10:05 AM
I'll have a look at them when I get a bit more time, before we beat nsw tonight.

Sound great, maybe, just maybe....

That's a heap for those links Ebony, appreciated!

Easycareacres
16-06-2004, 06:16 PM
buy a fax ph ya bugger.

Tonyr
16-06-2004, 08:07 PM
OK....

For the heck I'll see if I can get the pc type goin', but I think another fax is the bestest bet.

ready to beat them there southerners tonight?

Easycareacres
17-06-2004, 07:56 PM
haaaa yes we won but wow good even games