PDA

View Full Version : Summer grass

steveo
19-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Yesterday I was asked to mow a relatively good looking well watered lawn (given the dry month we have had) very low. I cut it on the 3rd lowest setting on the honda and double checked if that is what she wanted. She basically wanted it scalped and there is hardly any cooch in it either.

The reason being was that she wanted to get rid of the summer grass seed heads and so she could easily see and remove by hand the summer grass clumps which she reckons are more obvious when the grass is cut low. I don't quite get it because to me it is easier to pull them out when they are bigger. The amazing thing is she is over 90 years old. Anyone had a similar experience?

Does anyone know the difference between summer grass and winter grass? Are they the same plant that come up at different times. It's actually nice looking grass except it clumps.

The other question is for us people who at 90 are likely to be in worse nick, is there an easier way to get rid of it. i.e. pre or post emergents for example.

NLALM
19-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Mate spray it with DSMA for her. You will find this chemical in most sprays that say summer grass killer or paspalum killer, if you are buying from bunnings or the like. Summer grass and winter grass are not the same.She must be in good nick to be worried about her lawn at 90

PaulG
19-02-2014, 09:33 AM
IIRC there are a couple of types of grasses known as Summer grass. One looks a lot better than the other. Sounds like she may have Warrego Summer grass rather than the one that looks more like Crowsfoot or Crabgrass.

steveo
19-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Mate spray it with DSMA for her. You will find this chemical in most sprays that say summer grass killer or paspalum killer, if you are buying from bunnings or the like. Summer grass and winter grass are not the same.She must be in good nick to be worried about her lawn at 90

Thanks mate I'll look into it. That's good to know. I suspect she doesn't like spray because of her dog. I come across a lot of people that are concerned about spraying, I always suggest they read the MSDS sheet if concerned.

I also come across a lot of people who love a garden but are concerned about the rising cost of watering a garden. Most people don't know that water restrictions have eased and you can use a sprinkler at certain times. I educate them as much as possible.

steveo
19-02-2014, 11:03 AM
IIRC there are a couple of types of grasses known as Summer grass. One looks a lot better than the other. Sounds like she may have Warrego Summer grass rather than the one that looks more like Crowsfoot or Crabgrass.

Thanks Paul. How do you educate yourself about weed identification? Is there a good booklet produced for local areas. I have tried the govt sites but I have never come across a good, easy to read field guide.

PaulG
19-02-2014, 11:20 AM
I just read and bookmark (on the web) everything I can get my hands on. So many organisations produce different literature every few years. Most state governments, DPI and local or municipal council websites also usually have some good info.
There was a thing called Weed-Deck about 10 years ago too but from memory it was aimed more at agricultural weeds for farmers and pastoralists. Would be good to see something like it revived and done for more urban and residential scenarios. It was a small, flip-through, plastic/laminated ready reference that fitted easily in the glovebox. I got one from Agforce once when I worked as a journo and used to cover rural stories in South-West Queensland.

DavidS
19-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Have a look for this book " Weeds An illustrated botanical guide to the weeds of Australia" by BA Auld and RW Medd published by INKATA Press. That is my Weeds Bible
As NLALM said spray with DSMA lot better that hacking the lawn.