PDA

View Full Version : Wireless weather sensor?

cylo
23-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Hey guys, just wondering what wireless rain sensor any of you prefer to use & whether or not the receiver can be placed outdoors with no weather protection? It would be nearby to the valve box which will have a node controller inside.

Thanks for your help.

Fred's mowing
23-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what wireless rain sensor any of you prefer to use & whether or not the receiver can be placed outdoors with no weather protection? It would be nearby to the valve box which will have a node controller inside.

Thanks for your help.

Stripes will answer best but, the rain sensor has to be exposed to the weather or it wouldn't work.
There are internal & external controllers, if mounted outside you obviously need the external.
My wife's folks in Canada had a guy install a system & he mounted the rain sensor under the eaves:roll eyes:
Im pretty sure you need direct line of view between the sensor & the controller.
Ive installed quite a few with wires but only one without, it worked fine.
We haven't done irrigation for a few years now, as I said Stripes will be up with the latest.
Cheers Fred.

cylo
23-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Cheers Fred, yea the sensor I would mount on gutter or similar. Should be able to get close to line of sight, I haven't seen anything in writing as yet whether the receiver can be exposed to rain/sunlight etc If receiver needs to be out of the weather, then I would be best of using the wired rain sensor and running wires down post/under ground etc in conduit. Just wanting to save an hr or 2 and maybe end up with a neater job for not a great deal more cost.

DavidS
24-02-2014, 04:44 AM
This is the one I use https://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/IC_W_Rainclik_dom.pdf

Stripes
24-02-2014, 05:25 AM
Unfortunately you have to have a hard wired sensor if using a Node (battery operated solenoid valve).

cylo
24-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately you have to have a hard wired sensor if using a Node (battery operated solenoid valve).

No worries, thanks for your help!

DavidS
24-02-2014, 11:49 AM
OOpps I did not see that. Yeah as Stripes said hard wire only on Nodes.

cylo
24-02-2014, 02:55 PM
OOpps I did not see that. Yeah as Stripes said hard wire only on Nodes.

Thanks for the advice :) Im now wondering, since I have to run the wires for rain sensor, maybe I should have thought about running the wires over to building under cover for a controller, rather than paying the extra for the waterproof node. Anyhow it will be nice and neat having everything inside the green box!