PDA

View Full Version : Using ladders for tree felling.

imoww
29-03-2014, 07:13 AM
A good wakener...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxst-7MmUfM

Fred's mowing
29-03-2014, 10:23 AM
A good wakener...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxst-7MmUfM

Thanx imoww, excellent vid !!!
Cheers Fred.

geoff1969
29-03-2014, 03:14 PM
ladders and tree work don't go together but these wankers have know idea of safe ladder pratices = not one of them was tied off to prevent slipping etc and with ladders its simple JSA - satey procedure , also no eye protection , chaps , nothing .

BeetleJuice
29-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Surgeries through the week have tradesmen come in for treatment,weekends the home owner has his turn.

GarciaS
29-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Thats why tree surgeons charge through the roof. I got a afew quotes for a tree for one of my clients. Quotes from 950 to 1800 in the end it took 45mins to climb, cut, chip and clean. Good hourly rate if you ask me. 1 dude up the tree and 2 on the ground. The 2 on the ground were on 15 bucks an hour the guy up it owned the business. Apparently they were and have been absolutely flat out.

imoww
30-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Yep. SOunds like a great business to get into .
Im too tall and getting on in age to start tree lopping now. If i had my time again, it would have bee no mowers in the back of my truck... Just chainsaws etc...

Thats why tree surgeons charge through the roof. I got a afew quotes for a tree for one of my clients. Quotes from 950 to 1800 in the end it took 45mins to climb, cut, chip and clean. Good hourly rate if you ask me. 1 dude up the tree and 2 on the ground. The 2 on the ground were on 15 bucks an hour the guy up it owned the business. Apparently they were and have been absolutely flat out.

PaulG
31-03-2014, 06:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2B4sBPz7wY&list=PL93115FA1B979856A

Mick
31-03-2014, 07:26 PM
A lawnie mate of mine was asked to quickly cut a branch at his customers house, second last to job Christmas eve. Being the guy he is wanting to please his customer he went 3m up a ladder to cut the branch. He tied the ladder off etc, cut the branch but it sprung in a way he wasnt expecting and knocked him off the ladder, chainsaw landing only inches away. He landed on his shoulder and being the bigger set fit guy he is, his shoulder shattered under his weight.
Ambulance was needed to take him to hospital (I heard it go past my house), had all the tests etc and once the swelling went down proceeded to have surgery on it. Being that he couldnt continue with the business he had to sell it for a fraction of what the business used to earn him.
A few of us helped him out so he had something to sell. He lost 6 out of 60 customers which I think isnt bad all things considered. He's hoping to have 80% use of his shoulder in about 6 months or so.

Lost his business, his beloved new ute, almost his life and still potentially his house, all for the sake of a branch! Screw messing with ladders. I HATE even getting on my roof to clean the gutters.

duck-01
31-03-2014, 07:40 PM
yeah, that's like trimming a hedge from a stepladder these days, too dangerous and against workplace safety regs, youd worry your insurance may not cover you if anything happened.

goodonya for helping your mate out, sad to hear his story.

a lesson for all of us I reckon

simo
31-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Last year i fell 6ft down onto concrete cracked two ribs, I was washing down my caravan ready to head away the caravan shifted and i surfed down the ladder about 3 rungs trying to make it on my feet but fell on my side..Had to hire some help for 2 months now the caravan roof stays dirty..

imoww
31-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Thats a wake up call for all of us.
They say we should tie ourselves to the ladder also.
But as for ladders.... I hardly use them at all.
That goes for hedging and tree branches.
If my pole hedger or chainsaw attachments dont reach, then it's a job for someone else.
I posted a story last year on hedging a tennis court.
Never ever again.. Didnt have any accidents, but allot of close calls.
Like your story of your poor mate, a branch is not work your life.

A lawnie mate of mine was asked to quickly cut a branch at his customers house, second last to job Christmas eve. Being the guy he is wanting to please his customer he went 3m up a ladder to cut the branch. He tied the ladder off etc, cut the branch but it sprung in a way he wasnt expecting and knocked him off the ladder, chainsaw landing only inches away. He landed on his shoulder and being the bigger set fit guy he is, his shoulder shattered under his weight.
Ambulance was needed to take him to hospital (I heard it go past my house), had all the tests etc and once the swelling went down proceeded to have surgery on it. Being that he couldnt continue with the business he had to sell it for a fraction of what the business used to earn him.
A few of us helped him out so he had something to sell. He lost 6 out of 60 customers which I think isnt bad all things considered. He's hoping to have 80% use of his shoulder in about 6 months or so.

Lost his business, his beloved new ute, almost his life and still potentially his house, all for the sake of a branch! Screw messing with ladders. I HATE even getting on my roof to clean the gutters.

imoww
31-03-2014, 10:20 PM
This is a better alternative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnmzJ-vvjFI

Fred's mowing
01-04-2014, 05:21 PM
yeah, that's like trimming a hedge from a stepladder these days, too dangerous and against workplace safety regs, youd worry your insurance may not cover you if anything happened.

goodonya for helping your mate out, sad to hear his story.

a lesson for all of us I reckon

Is that you HAPPY ??? :wave-hi: , hows it goin?

Cheers Fred.

NLALM
01-04-2014, 06:12 PM
As Mick said its not worth risking your life for a branch. Just last week I was at the top of my 8 foot step ladder using my pole hedge trimmer on some conifers, when I had a light bulb moment, I thought if I fell off I would probably be dead and the only thing the client would care about would be getting someone else to trim the hedges, so I got down cleaned up and told the client I can no longer service the property. The money wasn't bad but my life is worth more.When I did have my bad fall I was removing some crappy vine off a house was it worth the pain the surgery the time off the lost income the lost clients my hands never being the same again and the pain every day NO WAY bloody ladders should be band

duck-01
01-04-2014, 06:57 PM
the thing is ladders ARE BANNED

you can only use a ladder to access a work area, like a roof, you mnay not ever do work FROM a ladder.

check it out,

anyone still doing it is a cowboy and showing their non-professional status in my opinion.

anyone making employees work off ladders should make sure their house is in their WIFES name.

Fred's mowing
01-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Is that you HAPPY ??? :wave-hi: , hows it goin?

Cheers Fred.

Bump!
Cheers Fred.

imoww
01-04-2014, 08:31 PM
In what state?
Ive never heard working off ladders were banned? what about painters?
Where is the info please,.....Id realy like to know.

the thing is ladders ARE BANNED

you can only use a ladder to access a work area, like a roof, you mnay not ever do work FROM a ladder.

check it out,

anyone still doing it is a cowboy and showing their non-professional status in my opinion.

anyone making employees work off ladders should make sure their house is in their WIFES name.

imoww
01-04-2014, 08:34 PM
http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/formspublications/publications/Documents/safe_use_portable_ladders_fact_sheet_3443.pdf

duck-01
01-04-2014, 09:41 PM
using hedge trimmers is a two handed job, would you agree?

or do you have a one handed jobbie, lol

I don't reckon they count sitting on the top of a step ladder as the third point of contact,

but you could argue that at the hearing I suppose, good luck to ya

I was told only platform ladders are good to go for two handed work, like hedge trimming

and how you can CLIMB a ladder with a tool in your hand, while still maintain 3 points of contact has always been beyond me

quoted from the document you linked:

Maintain three points of contact at all times.
Have two feet and one hand, or one foot and two hands, on the ladder when climbing it.
Have two feet and one other point of contact with the ladder while working from it, such as one hand or the
upper torso leaning against the ladder.

and what admin posted here http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?8575-Ladders-What-are-the-Rules-and-Regulations&highlight=heights

says only to use ladders if other MORE SECURE forms are inappropriate - how would you argue a full platform ladder, or scaffolding setup is inappropriate? I know its cost prohibitive, but they don't care about that.

"Section 3.3.4 of the regulation establishes a hierarchical approach to height risks with ladder use only being undertaken if other more secure forms or safety apparatus are inappropriate for the circumstances."

the writings on the wall, cowboys use ladders to do heavy work, insurance probly wont cover you, if you hurt an employee, workcover will have you, wheres your safety management system, whats it say about working at heights?

probly should have a working at heights ticket too, haha

up to you mate, do your homework, take your risks,

maybe transfer the house into the wifes name to be safe,

imoww
02-04-2014, 04:15 AM
No probs Duck. I dont use ladders. Just curious i thought you said ladders were banned etc with working off them.

using hedge trimmers is a two handed job, would you agree?

or do you have a one handed jobbie, lol

I don't reckon they count sitting on the top of a step ladder as the third point of contact,

but you could argue that at the hearing I suppose, good luck to ya

I was told only platform ladders are good to go for two handed work, like hedge trimming

and how you can CLIMB a ladder with a tool in your hand, while still maintain 3 points of contact has always been beyond me

quoted from the document you linked:

Maintain three points of contact at all times.
Have two feet and one hand, or one foot and two hands, on the ladder when climbing it.
Have two feet and one other point of contact with the ladder while working from it, such as one hand or the
upper torso leaning against the ladder.

and what admin posted here http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?8575-Ladders-What-are-the-Rules-and-Regulations&highlight=heights

says only to use ladders if other MORE SECURE forms are inappropriate - how would you argue a full platform ladder, or scaffolding setup is inappropriate? I know its cost prohibitive, but they don't care about that.

"Section 3.3.4 of the regulation establishes a hierarchical approach to height risks with ladder use only being undertaken if other more secure forms or safety apparatus are inappropriate for the circumstances."

the writings on the wall, cowboys use ladders to do heavy work, insurance probly wont cover you, if you hurt an employee, workcover will have you, wheres your safety management system, whats it say about working at heights?

probly should have a working at heights ticket too, haha

up to you mate, do your homework, take your risks,

maybe transfer the house into the wifes name to be safe,

BeetleJuice
02-04-2014, 10:52 AM
In my early landscaping days i needed to remove all trees and one was only a small one.
The limb i cut was only around 4 foot off the ground,i cut it with the chain saw at a 45deg and instead of falling it slid.
The pointy end hit the big toe and broke it and i was wearing slip on boots which did nothing to help.

Went home early but had to be back there the next day to continue,spent a few days after on the bobcat to recover.

Another work accident was breaking 3 bones in my left foot,was on crutches for 3 weeks then walking stick for another 3 weeks.
Got through the job alright as i had guys working for me at the time to continue.

Have You guys got a plan in place if you were off work for 6 weeks ? with a sprained ankle or something broke.

troppo
02-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Gardens
02-04-2014, 03:20 PM
So what does everyone use to trim hedges above 1.8m or so?

GardeningSolutions
02-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Ladders & Stihl Kombi extension hedgetrimmer.

Mow And Go
02-04-2014, 07:43 PM
shindaiwa articulated ext hedger and ladder if I can reach, same machine with small scaff if I cant.

PaulG
03-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Platform ladder and Stihl KM130 with extension.

4 Gardens
03-04-2014, 05:12 AM
Platform ladder and Stihl KM130 with extension.

Do you have one size only platform ladder?

Not sure which size I should get?

imoww
03-04-2014, 07:54 PM
The only ladder i use- if i had to, is the small aluminium Gorilla platform . It legs extend to a metre i think but have never used it on that height.

You can get them from bunnings.

cadase
03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Painters stilts :shifty

PaulG
04-04-2014, 12:13 AM

I only have the one at the moment and it's the tallest I could buy from the particular company I got it from. Mine's the CPL7 - http://www.chiefladders.com.au/platform-ladders

The platform is about 2 metres high so I can comfortably work to 3 metres holding the trimmer at waist height. They are awkward though as when doing deep/wide hedges you still have to reposition the ladder every few metres as the sweep or arc of the trimmer leaves bits out of reach or overlapping here and there.

A shorter ladder would be handy mainly for stability but not 100% necessary but then you're limited to shorter hedges too. Despite this one having a fairly broad footprint/base it still only takes a small patch of uneven ground and the ladder gets pretty wobbly.

I'm actually thinking of looking into full aluminium A-frames and trestle planks. I did a big job last year with another Indy locally and he has some steel A-frames (very very heavy to move) with two aluminium planks and the highest working height to stand on them was 2.4 or 2.5 metres. The advantage was their length. At about 4 metres long the working area was much better than using the platform ladder, as you could move freely to your left or right, but there was more equipment to move each time and more to lug around on the ute or trailer too, but for practicality on the job I think I preferred the trestles.

PaulG
04-04-2014, 12:33 AM
I was sure I had a picture of the trestle set-up but it seems not. This is me up on them looking down at my old 8-foot step ladder and the second pic is the hedges on the other side of yard after we'd finished. We took about 1.5 metres off the top IIRC.

BSD
04-04-2014, 02:33 AM
Nice work I must say.
I was sure I had a picture of the trestle set-up but it seems not. This is me up on them looking down at my old 8-foot step ladder and the second pic is the hedges on the other side of yard after we'd finished. We took about 1.5 metres off the top IIRC.

4 Gardens
04-04-2014, 04:46 AM

Looks great

Thanks for the info and link on your platform

sterlo
04-04-2014, 06:27 AM

When did u get the walker paul?

TomS
04-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Mine is a 6- step(including the platform). Anything bigger would be too unweildy I think. the platform is at 1.8 metres.

I bought a guardall but wish I had spent the extra and bought the gorilla.

Tom

PaulG
04-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Not my Walker unfortunately! Belongs to my friend. It has a mulching deck on the front and was invaluable on this job. Everything was mulched and dumped on site.

NLALM
04-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Is that your ranch mate, another bloody millionaire lawn contractor, Paul do that mob deliver the ladders? You have got me thinking I probably should look into something like that since I am doing as many hedges these days as lawns.

PaulG
04-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Yes they do deliver. They're based on the North side of Brisbane / Sunshine Coast, and delivery to here wasn't too costly so shouldn't be too bad to the rest of the East coast.

I wish this was my ranch. The Governor of Queensland used to live here in the late 1800s. Sold about ten years ago for $1.6 million or thereabouts and is just about to go on the market again.

4 Gardens
05-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Checked out some platform ladders yesterday.

One of the disadvantages I can see is you can only work at one height, so possibly need to have 2 or 3 of them

Also looked at trestles with adjustable legs for levelling and planks ( aluminium )
Does anyone use these?
Would have to carry 2 trestles and planks

What do others use, recommend and why?

Treecat
14-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I'll openly admit I've cut off ladders in the past(your a liar if you say you havent or havent broken a simular rule atleast once just to get the job done) It is my last choice and I do everything to reduce risk(smaller cuts, paid more attention to use the right cut and get it spot on) and never came close to having a problem.

The issues start when you have people who lack training(What cut to use for certain situtions, when they are biting off more then they can chew etc),have just enough knowledge to get themselves into trouble or have became complacent. hence why the world is becoming wrapped in cotton wool...

I did work for a proper cowboy before I started for myself though. :knob

PaulG
14-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Saw footage last night of a guy clearing a fallen tree after the cyclone in North Queensland. T-shirt, shorts and nothing else.

Mow And Go
15-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Saw footage last night of a guy clearing a fallen tree after the cyclone in North Queensland. T-shirt, shorts and nothing else.

but he may have been hot? its hard work clearing trees *tongue in cheek*

troppo
15-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Yep, that's why I go under the name Troppo. It's always hot here after a blow and I mean really hot and steamy. 300mm in a few days and followed up by north westerlies = oppressive conditions. Wouldn't live anywhere else!!!! Still, no excuse for no PPE under any circumstances. By the way, hardly any trees down in the area, just the odd branch here and there. Hasn't affected me except for having to straighten up 2 shrubs for an elderly widow with stakes. 5 min job.