PDA

View Full Version : Stihl vs Shindaiwa

Fred's mowing
07-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Last week whilst at Cannings (arborists specialty store) I got talking to a guy who's business is Hedgemaster.
Thought i'd pick his brain as he does nothing but hedges.
He had heaps of gear in the back of his van so I quizzed him on Stihl vs Shindaiwa which he had plenty of both.
He said that he likes the combination of both, the Stihl for the thicker stuff, the shindy for the finer stuff.
I only have shindy which I have been very happy with for many years.
My only wish being that the shindy being able to cut through slightly thicker stuff .
Im considering purchasing the Stihl for the sole purpose of cutting through the middle of the tops of larger hedges.
Ive picked up a Stihl before which felt considerably heavier & in my op not as well balanced.
Anyone used both & have an opinion ?
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
07-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned I meant multi tool hedge cutters.
Cheers Fred.

Mow And Go
07-05-2014, 06:58 PM
have used both, the shindaiwa is a little more refined and I personally think the power comes on a little more smoothly and as you mentioned, I feel the weight distribution is better in the M230 than any of the stihls I have used

ASTRO
07-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Last week whilst at Cannings (arborists specialty store) I got talking to a guy who's business is Hedgemaster.
Thought i'd pick his brain as he does nothing but hedges.
He had heaps of gear in the back of his van so I quizzed him on Stihl vs Shindaiwa which he had plenty of both.
He said that he likes the combination of both, the Stihl for the thicker stuff, the shindy for the finer stuff.
I only have shindy which I have been very happy with for many years.
My only wish being that the shindy being able to cut through slightly thicker stuff .
Im considering purchasing the Stihl for the sole purpose of cutting through the middle of the tops of larger hedges.
Ive picked up a Stihl before which felt considerably heavier & in my op not as well balanced.
Anyone used both & have an opinion ?
Cheers Fred.

Hey fred.
I use a combination of stihl fs 130-heavy duty,echo 265-medium duty,shindy ah 230-light/fine work.All dedicated articulated hedgers as i prefer the transfer at the gearbox not on the split shaft.
The echo has a cutting blade which will acheive cutting thicker wood like the stihl but is better balanced + lighter in weight than the stihl.
When cutting larger diameter wood the stihl is the option i would use.Any thicker and i bring out the 021.:rolleyes:
Maybe consider a fs85r + fit a articulated hedger,if weight + balance are paramount.
I prefer the japanese ope because their ultra precise + reliable + balanced.
The stihl ope will sort any thing thats left.

Cheers Astro.

PaulG
07-05-2014, 10:46 PM
I have the Stihl KM130 powerhead with articulated trimmer-head and extension piece. Heavy to use/balance with the extension on when on a platform and reaching out horizontally for a wide hedge. I still can't get used to the engine the way it revs. If you hold it on full throttle it sounds like it's valve-bouncing. It's great through heavier hedges like overgrown, unpruned Murraya etc and will nibble it's way through thicker branches (but I really need to buy the chainsaw extension).

That guy sounds like a good guy to know Fred. Did you chat to him about ladders and trestles etc?

It's interesting you mention this guy's business as with many recent events here I'm thinking I'm going to either wind-up my business altogether or or if I stick with it, concentrate solely on hedges and shrubs too. Too many cheap-arsed mongrels doing mowing for next to nothing here now.

GardeningSolutions
08-05-2014, 07:19 AM
I do a lot of hedges and am usually buggered if doing them all week. Kind of like having mowing in the mix to give the muscles a rest. Have used komatsu multitool, similar to shindi and Stihl KM90 & KM130 Kombi. All good but got frustrated on jobs the equipment wasn't heavy enough for. Decided to suck it up and currently go heavy duty with Stihl 130Kombi & Husquvana 226HD60s hedgetrimmer. Articulated and double cutting blades. Both quality machines and trim diosmas or rough stuff very well. Although the Husky can get a bit heavy when trimming a lot of low diosmas.

Ive noticed that hedgetrimming is a bit of a niche market here. If your good at it your name gets passed around and the work keeps coming. Not every fella can do a good job of it.

BeetleJuice
08-05-2014, 09:12 AM
It seems to be a business of it's own,we got a guy here called "The Hedge Man"
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/sa/kensington-park/the-hedge-man-12891757-listing.html

GardeningSolutions
08-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Yeah. Saw him about the place back about 6yrs ago when I had a round in the north eastern suburbs. Had another fella with him.

joeymoey
09-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Well I've got:

Stihl HS81R - 800mm + double sided blades - does weigh a considerable amount, can't beat it for cut quality
Stihl KM130R - with articulated hedger attachment and pole saw attachment - great for tops of hedges - wish it was lighter
Stihl Hs56Ce - lightweight - 600mm bar - doesn't cut as well as the 81R however it is great for thicker stuff and the first run over
And I've got a base model echo - used for really crappy jobs

Bracey
09-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I use a Stihl HS81R it really is hard on my back on larger hedges but does cut through thicker stuff fairly easy.
I dont do a lot of hedges but something lighter for the smaller stuff would be worth getting.

Fred's mowing
09-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanx to those who replied.
Think I'll give the Stihl a go.
Paul, the shindy will "nibble" its way through thicker stuff also but that's what I was trying to avoid.
I didn't talk to him re ladders/trestles as Im pretty happy in that area & its become too contentious to talk about here.
Thanx Astro, maybe the 130 in short bursts for the thicker stuff might be the go.
GS, yes I too like to mix it up with a bit of mowing/gardening, its hard physical work hour after hour, not to mention the monotony!
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
11-05-2014, 12:48 PM
So the km 90 & the km130 only have 100g diff in weight yet, 50% diff in power according to the Stihl website ?
I don't even think you would pick 100g diff in weight ?
Id have to go the 130 if that's the case.
Are they traditional 2 stroke, or the new 4 mix ?
The site doesn't seem to say.
Anyone had any probs with the 130 ?
I love multi tools, they're so versatile, I'd have to grab the snipper head also.
Cheers Fred.

mikecic
11-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Bought a km130 a couple of months back, it's the 4 mix engine. Have got the hedger attachment and brushcutter attachment. No problems as yet starts first or second pull. Although when I bought mine the dealer did say something about a big tree mob that had a lot problems over summer with theirs. Something to do with not enough oil even though it was mixed at the right ratio. So I was told on really hot days to add a bit more oil to the mix. Not too sure but something along those lines anyway.

Mow And Go
11-05-2014, 01:51 PM
make sure the valves are set correctly REGULARLY and keep the oil ratio right. still a bastard to start when hot. each to their own

NLALM
11-05-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't think its the brand , I really think its luck these days and 9 times out of 10 you get a good reliable machine. I have the km 90, and it is used everyday on hedges it start first or second pull and runs all day if need be.Then you hear of the guy that has one and has nothing but trouble, it happens with every brand. If I buy a machine and it starts to play up a bit more then it should , I off load it.In this game you need good reliable gear, not something that takes 10 minutes to start every time you use it.

Mow And Go
11-05-2014, 04:41 PM
true, I know shindi C4 technology is a nightmare too ...I think its the whole concept of 4 stroke motor on 2 stroke fuel lol

Fred's mowing
11-05-2014, 07:29 PM
So, are all the stihl multi tool engines 4 mix ?
Cheers Fred.

PaulG
11-05-2014, 08:17 PM
My KM130 runs on 2-stroke. I'm a bit ignorant as to what 4-mix is? Never really looked into it.

Fred's mowing
11-05-2014, 09:03 PM
My KM130 runs on 2-stroke. I'm a bit ignorant as to what 4-mix is? Never really looked into it.

Its a 2 stoke with valves.
Presumably runs cleaner & more efficiently than traditional 2 stroke. (that's open to debate).
Ive had a few shindy c4's. Liked them but can't say they've been as reliable or had the longevity as the reg 2 stroke.
They are the harley of the 2 stroke world :)
Cheers Fred.

GardeningSolutions
11-05-2014, 09:06 PM
So, are all the stihl multi tool engines 4 mix ?
Cheers Fred.

You can get the Stihl multitool right through the range. I know someone with the 85 engine. Personally I'd go for the power. Much better cut.

PaulG
11-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Its a 2 stoke with valves.

Hmmm, that would explain why they sound different when revved too high and why I've heard people say don't rev them too high... :scared

NLALM
12-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Hmmm, that would explain why they sound different when revved too high and why I've heard people say don't rev them too high... :scared

Have you had the valves adjusted, They told me to bring mine in after so many hours, I just cant remember how many it was, and they adjust it for free ,

PaulG
12-05-2014, 11:31 PM
No not yet. It's been the same since the first time I used it last August. Probably should have it serviced to be safe.

sterlo
13-05-2014, 01:57 AM

When using the hedger attachment the c4 will sound puffy at high revs, like its limited, on the whippy and saw it revs right out and sounds "normal"

Sterlo

Wyadra
14-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I often spend the whole day hedging. Last month we did the trees at BMW Kingsway. Have a look at that if you want to see a hedging job. Anyway, my mate was using his Stihl and I was using a Makita brush cutter with a hedger attachment. By the end of the day we were both destroyed, but he was really suffering, good idea to have one for the heavy stuff and one for the lighter. However when I compare the weight of the Stihl to my Makita I would not buy the Stihl. I just let the Makita do what it can. It's done a lot of work over the past 3 years and hasn't let me down yet. I used to use my Tanaka for the heavy stuff, but that is waiting for repairs. In short I have thought about this a lot and have decided to buy a second Makita.

PaulG
14-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Just had a look on Street View. Is that the dozen or so clipped trees?

Fred's mowing
14-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Wyadra , Im very familiar with that job as I recall mentioning to my wife as we drove past .
Those ficus are huge to be trimming. I take it you do them from a tower ?
Would love to have that job on my website, it would be a real feather in your cap!
Do you have any pics? the street view doesn't do it justice.
Im still very happy with the shindaiwa, its quite light weight & a reliable well balanced unit.
Yes, was just looking for something that could chop through bigger stuff with a quality finish, b4 resorting to the pole chainsaw.
Im sure they would have had to get a few cars shifted first:)
Cheers Fred.

steveo
14-05-2014, 07:44 PM
I often spend the whole day hedging. Last month we did the trees at BMW Kingsway. Have a look at that if you want to see a hedging job. Anyway, my mate was using his Stihl and I was using a Makita brush cutter with a hedger attachment. By the end of the day we were both destroyed, but he was really suffering, good idea to have one for the heavy stuff and one for the lighter. However when I compare the weight of the Stihl to my Makita I would not buy the Stihl. I just let the Makita do what it can. It's done a lot of work over the past 3 years and hasn't let me down yet. I used to use my Tanaka for the heavy stuff, but that is waiting for repairs. In short I have thought about this a lot and have decided to buy a second Makita.

My first whippy was the makita. Swore i'd not keep using it because of what i thought was excess vibration, (had tingling fingers etc). Last month I bought another one. The tingling has stopped. Just reckon they are a good machine and light and very well priced. Then again never used any other pole trimmer. Have also gone back to using the makita trimmer head that comes with it. It seems to outlast the speed feed.

Wyadra
15-05-2014, 11:29 AM
I bought a 4 stroke makita whippy a few years ago, love it. At $630 for the makita combo there is no way I will ever buy a stihl. Also hedging is very hard on the tendons in the elbow. Doesn't take much to develop RSI from over use. For that reason alone I prefer to smash the machine rather than the body.

steveo
15-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Have you been able to compare the 4 stroke versus the 2 stroke? Just curious if one or the other is more suited to the hedger attachment. I've only ever used the 2 stroke for no other reason that I read good reviews on it, never considered a 4 stroke.

Redeye
15-05-2014, 07:39 PM
I do all my hedging with a mak 2 stroke, the attachment does a great cut but the main thing for me is the weight - or lack of it

steveo
15-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah, the weight is amazing. Picked up the pope 33c to take to a job today and could not believe how heavy it was and that I used to use it as my main trimmer. It stayed in the ute.

Wyadra
17-05-2014, 09:42 AM
"Have you been able to compare the 4 stroke versus the 2 stroke? Just curious if one or the other is more suited to the hedger attachment. I've only ever used the 2 stroke for no other reason that I read good reviews on it, never considered a 4 stroke."

Steveo...You can't use the 4-stroke for hedging because you can't tip the motor as oil will get into the cylinder.

BeetleJuice
17-05-2014, 10:33 AM
When reading U.S. contractor reviews they have stated the Shindi out lasts every other brand out there.

Those guys try out different brands and nothing comes close to a Shindaiwa brand,wish i had more work to warrant buying one for whatever service i'd need it for

http://www.allpower.com.au/shop/products/hedge-trimmers/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXMiL2Ep8Wo

Andy B
17-05-2014, 06:21 PM
When reading U.S. contractor reviews they have stated the Shindi out lasts every other brand out there.

Those guys try out different brands and nothing comes close to a Shindaiwa brand,wish i had more work to warrant buying one for whatever service i'd need it for

Thought he was going to say a truck of of something else at the start of the you tube vid. lol I'd like one of the single sided ones he uses to try.

Sorry, stihl no stihl in my toolboxes, but I never say never.

Wyadra
17-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I read a few threads on US sites. They all had their preferences, Husqvarna and Echo rate well. Some thought Shindaiwa and Stihl were too heavy.

fastfreddy
30-05-2014, 12:49 PM
When it comes to long reach Hedge Trimmers, I have a preference for the Maruyama as it has more grunt than the equiv. Shindy and seems to be able to better handle heavier growth.
Stand alone long reach Hedge trimmers and pole saws have proven (in my experience) to be more durable than Multi tool attachments (especially when fitted with extension lengths).
Cheers

MrMow1
12-06-2014, 06:55 PM
I use to use Tanaka Hedge Trimmer domestically, and since I went commercial, I am still using dedicated Tanaka Hand Held Hedge Trimmer and Tanaka Pole Hedge Trimmer. Ive never used anything else..... but Im really happy with Tanaka, so I suppose why look for the proverbial greener grass, if Im happy with what ive got! lol

Scooby Steve
18-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Hi Fred, we use the 130 and the 90, i've also used the Shindy 230 a bit too. As has been stated the Shindy is lighter and better balanced but it's shaded by the Stihl's power which is an absolute torque monster, both the 90 and 130 are powerful, the 130 slightly more but its not by a lot. The Stihl being a 4 mix needs valve clearance checks/adjustments every now and again but other than that they have been good, they have the Stihl family trait of being hard to start every once and a while but other than that they are good. Heavy though and you will notice it at the end of a full days hedging.

Mow And Go
18-06-2014, 08:24 PM
I honestly don't know what guys are cutting with a hedge trimmer to need a massive amount of power ...never snagged the shindaiwa hedger yet :\ maybe im not doing it right lol

Scooby Steve
18-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I honestly don't know what guys are cutting with a hedge trimmer to need a massive amount of power ...never snagged the shindaiwa hedger yet :\ maybe im not doing it right lol

You get some over grown stuff here in Melbourne ( :

GardeningSolutions
19-06-2014, 07:03 AM
I don't think Id go any less power than the stihl KM130 pole hedger I currently use. Goes through pretty much anything. Faster than the KM90 and gives a better cut.

Mow And Go
19-06-2014, 02:42 PM
You get some over grown stuff here in Melbourne ( :

originally from Melb mate, still never needed anything more than the 230 lol each to their own of course

Redeye
19-06-2014, 03:57 PM
think I'd be r00ted if I spent more than an hour long pole hedging with a 130, bad enough spending a day with the 25cc mak

GardeningSolutions
19-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Don't need a gym membership. Just do some hedging with a KM 130. Some guys use Honda's. They're heavier again.

ASTRO
19-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Can swing the shindis all day-everyday.
Anyone using honda multi-tools is a masochist!!

kakegc
22-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Maybe consider a fs85r + fit a articulated hedger

There you go! Someone who actually knows their stuff! :)

kakegc
22-06-2014, 11:53 PM
It seems to be a business of it's own,we got a guy here called "The Hedge Man"
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/sa/kensington-park/the-hedge-man-12891757-listing.html

Yup! And he doesn't use ANY of the hedgers that have been recommended in this thread!

BSD
23-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Nice work that's for sure, his yellow pages advert is a real piece of art in itself, wonder how much it costs?
Yup! And he doesn't use ANY of the hedgers that have been recommended in this thread!

joeymoey
23-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Nice work that's for sure, his yellow pages advert is a real piece of art in itself, wonder how much it costs?

Too much whatever it is.

Yellow pages is long gone tbh.

Google and Social Media advertising has definitely overtaken previous print media.

Best advertising IMO is working/doing your job. - People come up and ask for cards or quotes etc.

Fred's mowing
23-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Ok, so can you let us in on the secret weapon?
Also, do you think its any better than any of the previous mentioned machines? & why?
Cheers Fred.

Scooby Steve
23-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Are we talking fine leaf hedge trimmers? Most of us experienced trimmers know what brands to use for that. Not really Fred's original question though was it.

GardeningSolutions
23-06-2014, 03:36 PM
A local guy here that does a lot of hedges uses electric Makita. Does an excellent job and is quiet, but I wouldn't like dealing with the cord or being restricted to working dry days.

Fred's mowing
23-06-2014, 04:45 PM
That's what I thought initially.
Enlarge the pic & have another look.
I'd be embarrassed to put that pic on my site.
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
23-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Yellow pages will contrive a website for you & that's probably the case here.
No slur on the Hedgeman, thats just what Yellow pages will do.
Yellow pages built us a site but, we rejected their pics & supplied authentic pics of our own work.
Some of the pics they presented were obviously not even in Oz :(
Cheers Fred.

NLALM
23-06-2014, 06:59 PM
I remember years ago there was talk of a guy that used to just do hedges, I don't recall where he was but he used electric hedge trimmers and they were kept in what looked like a gun safe on his truck. I remember who ever was telling the story saying that he did an awesome job. I wouldn't want to be worrying about power cords at jobs,spose you could have a generator on the truck

BeetleJuice
23-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Yeah i got both and did think about electric only as i'd go home a lot less sore in back and arms

Scooby Steve
23-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Yellow pages will contrive a website for you & that's probably the case here.
No slur on the Hedgeman, thats just what Yellow pages will do.
Yellow pages built us a site but, we rejected their pics & supplied authentic pics of our own work.
Some of the pics they presented were obviously not even in Oz :(
Cheers Fred.

That's one thing that really irks me, gardeners that don't use their own pics on their websites, as you stated Fred most seem to be foreign gardens, most i pick as either American or Japanese. False advertising really. Customers that know a little bit about gardens will pick up on it and ultimately if you can't back those pics up your only going to make things difficult for yourself going forward.

For those of you that use pics other than your own what was your motivation for doing so.

BeetleJuice
24-06-2014, 11:29 AM

I'm sure a few here are waiting for a response to what's being used

kakegc
02-07-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm sure a few here are waiting for a response to what's being used

Mate, I've posted on this before & all of the "experts" on the forum disagree on what Paul (the hedge man) does. What would he (or me) know................. we only do hedges every day! Go over my posts, it'll become clear very quickly what we use.

There again, I think people should keep using what they're using lol! I make a very handy living trimming hedges lol, so does the Hedge Man, we don't really need any competition!

:)

Fred's mowing
02-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Mate, I've posted on this before & all of the "experts" on the forum disagree on what Paul (the hedge man) does. What would he (or me) know................. we only do hedges every day! Go over my posts, it'll become clear very quickly what we use.

There again, I think people should keep using what they're using lol! I make a very handy living trimming hedges lol, so does the Hedge Man, we don't really need any competition!

:)

So why post ?
I thought the point of the forum was to share info ?
Cheers Fred.

BeetleJuice
02-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Seems like it's these Fred..
did a search...quote
Makita is a good unit
The Metabo corded trimmer

ASTRO
02-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Seems like it's these Fred..
did a search...quote
Makita is a good unit
The Metabo corded trimmer

Pruned a tall conifer hedge last month.
The customer said the last contractor used makita electric hedgers.
We used shindaiwa + echo ,completed the job in almost half the time with a better result according to the customer.
Each to their own.

BeetleJuice
02-07-2014, 10:47 PM
I just looked up these two Makita & Metabo.
Metabo have a 75cm blade which i'd be keen on if i was doing it every week,just being light to hold and on/off instant power and endless power supply.(if i was doing it every week)

kakegc
17-10-2014, 04:34 PM
I bought a 4 stroke makita whippy a few years ago, love it. At $630 for the makita combo there is no way I will ever buy a stihl. Also hedging is very hard on the tendons in the elbow. Doesn't take much to develop RSI from over use. For that reason alone I prefer to smash the machine rather than the body.

I've just wound up my brief fling with Makita equipment - I bought a DCS7901 & it really was the ducks guts, that is until the palms I was cutting started to eat the plastics! Before the plastics were showing signs of being eaten, I bought a little top handled Makita saw - it **** itself after about 10 hours work & refuses to start. Around the same time I bought the top handled saw, I bought a Makita 4 stroke blower - the plastics are home-owner grade & the zip starter fell off on a job.

I have an Echo 350T with at least a thousand hours on it, including palms & no probs with it! Had a Stihl BG85 blower for 10 years that I bought 2nd hand - sold it on GumTree. Have a Stihl MS660 in the shed that's done a lot more palms than the 7901 & no probs with it either!

Back to Stihl & Echo for me!