PDA

View Full Version : Dual axle trailers, tyre profile question

steveo
15-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Recently bought a dual axle 8x5 trailer. I notice the front pair of tyres have a different profiles to the rear. This really affects the the weight loading on the drawbar depending on whether the lower profiles are on the front or the back. Having never owned a dual axle trailer previously, is this a deliberate thing to do on a dual axle trailer? Is it a cause for concern? The trailer has a fairly heavy beaver tail on it, so i dunno if they use tyre profiles to balance the weight out. Seems to tow alright.

GardeningSolutions
15-05-2014, 12:32 PM
All I know is that the rear tyres wear a lot quicker than the front. My trailer has same profile light truck tyres all round.

BeetleJuice
15-05-2014, 12:37 PM
All tyres should be the same size.

steveo
10-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Made an interesting discovery today. Had a feeling my trailer has too much weight on the drawbar. I put the trailer jockey wheel on to a scale to find it weighed 90kg. With the ride on and the SP at the back of the trailer and no mower on the drawbar it was putting 90kg on the towball. When I changed the trailer wheels so the lower profile tyres where at the back rather than at the front the weight at the towball dropped by almost a half to 50kg. I took 3 or 4 readings to make sure and I could easily feel the difference lifting it by hand. Thought this may be helpful for anyone out there with a tandem trailer who is strugling with the weight on the towball.