PDA

View Full Version : new whippy

head1956
22-05-2014, 08:50 AM
When I first started out I bought a shindawa T230X and it has served me well but is showing signs of slowing up plus I need something with more power. hired a brand new FS85 Stihl (biggest they had) for a comparison and found it heaps under-powered but not a bad unit. I am leaning towards something along the lines of Stihl FS130 or FS230 but can't roadtest them so don't really know if they will handle what I do .. Also has Shindawa got anything as good / better in this price range (up to $1000) Also is it possible to get a whippy with both types of handle or is it one or the other (which is preferable or I guess it depends on the use). I will be talking to guys at respective shops as soon as I can make the time but would like a bit of info from those who know - thanks in advance for any info.. Nearly forgot what do I need - A unit that will handle everyday lawn use with enough power to handle large areas of mainly thick kye as far as heavy weeds etc - no serious small trees if you know what I mean.

joeymoey
22-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I've got a KM130R and in my opinion isn't best suited to regular use for the fact that you have to do valve clearances every 25 hours. - PITA IMO

I've also got a Husqvarna 525LST which is similar price range to the Stihl, much lighter, better balanced and more power IMO.

If you're wanting a real powerhouse go for a the equivalent to the Husqvarna 333R which chomps over anything and everything.

BeetleJuice
22-05-2014, 09:07 AM
For every day use which are not heavy to hold all day like doing units all day i use
ECHO SRM22GES (21cc) or a SHINDIAWA T260X (24cc) and those cut/edge all my kikuyu lawns,which is the majority of my jobs

When it comes to heavy growth i use a pope 33cc which can be purchased for only $150.
Not the sort of machine you'd want to carry to long through out the day without a harness

I'd suggest owning a few machines for different jobs and switch between them.
The problem owning one machine for everything is if it stops so do you

http://www.allpower.com.au/shop/products/brushcutters-and-line-trimmers/

Redeye
22-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I use a makita 25cc for hedging/polesaw, a makita 31cc for every day (power to burn) and a chinese 52cc for ferals which doesn't get much use - the 31 mak with 3.3mm diamond edge/alloy head handles just about everything. Used to use kawa 27's which were a great machine too

Mow And Go
22-05-2014, 11:58 AM
shindaiwa T270 ...use it for EVERYTHING from block clearing to daily edging ...find it a perfect power to weight ratio and as tough as nails.

head1956
22-05-2014, 02:29 PM
These Pope 33's come up regularly and I figured they were just cheapie junk but because so many people recommend them I'm curious now are they ok for the rough stuff, do they have enough power etc and is it money (not a lot of) worth spending (for a now and then use) or do I keep looking at the bigger stuff. Also are there dedicated brush-cutters as apposed line trimmers or can both be achieved with the one machine (as I always thought however am not now sure)

BeetleJuice
22-05-2014, 03:00 PM
I usually run mine with a metal blade or sometimes using a manual feed head with 3.3mm line ,I believe they run a mitsubishi motor.

imoww
22-05-2014, 03:37 PM
for power and long lasting all year long and first start every time i use the Honda UMK425.
rips through heavy long grass and does an excellent job for edges and small stuf

GardeningSolutions
22-05-2014, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=joeymoey;133483]I've got a KM130R and in my opinion isn't best suited to regular use for the fact that you have to do valve clearances every 25 hours. - PITA IMO

I've also got a Husqvarna 525LST which is similar price range to the Stihl, much lighter, better balanced and more power IMO.

Same setup I run and am happy with it. Haven't had problems with the KM130 valves tho, but is too powerful for general lawn edging. A good machine for heavy going and as a backup for when your everyday whippy sh*ts its self.

kevinsuzanne
22-05-2014, 05:21 PM
I have got a 525 LST husky brushcutter and thoughly recommend it use it for everything
long grass, weeds, cuts well through asparagus [it is a pest weed up here] it was $598.00
but is worth its wait in gold.Also has multi-tool attactments to go on it to.

stephenst
22-05-2014, 06:47 PM
for power and long lasting all year long and first start every time i use the Honda UMK425.
rips through heavy long grass and does an excellent job for edges and small stuf

+1 for the UMK 425, rips through everything and great for the edges.

EVAN86
22-05-2014, 08:51 PM
I highly recommend the Shindaiwa t270. Definatly the way to go if you are looking for one machine that can handle the thick stuff as well as regular lawns. From my experience with the Stihl fs85, I would not recommend getting one for contractor use. I bought one after being impressed with my fathers 15 year old fs76, but had nothing but trouble with the new one. Was always terrible to start when hot and had to get a new carby fitted under warranty within the first 3 weeks of owning it.

I have owned Makita, Honda, Stihl and Shindaiwa trimmers and found the Sindaiwa t270 to be the best so far.

sharpie
22-05-2014, 09:23 PM
2 T270's the oldest is 8 years old and going like a train, can't recommend them highly enough. You will have change to stop in to Bummings and grab a Kaaz with the Mitsubishi motor as they are running them out for $140 each in QLD. They are a bit lighter than the shindy but go pretty good too.
Sharpie.

jal2007
22-05-2014, 09:51 PM
I used m230 and m2510. Previously used 2 umk425. First one lasts about 2 years. Secind one just more than 1 year.
My m230 been with me since day 1, 4 years

BSD
22-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Best whippy......7447

joeymoey
23-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Also to add to this list:

https://shop.barryfrancis.com.au/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=792

Perfect for tight access and even large area slashing.

Bought one today and absolutely love it!

I'll post some pics shortly of the job when I've finished.

jal2007
23-05-2014, 09:02 AM
this is the one i used for few years already. It has PTO. As joeymoey said, its very good for slashing

jal2007
23-05-2014, 09:09 AM
This unit is better than the echo bearcat and ariens becuase you can adjust the height of the cord. And the pto is the plus and love it

head1956
26-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Continuing the brush-cutter saga I looked at some Shindawa units today and can get a C350 in the price range I have been looking in. The only downside being they weigh in at 7.6 kgs. A good harness is part of the deal which would help I would imagine. Has anyone used one of these. Will only be using it on big jobs because still have smaller Shindawa which has been faultless for all other jobs. Just wondering if biggest is best or am I just over excited - If these guys who I trust totally order the machine in its mine / theirs so better to be sure before ordering..

BeetleJuice
26-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Continuing the brush-cutter saga I looked at some Shindawa units today and can get a C350 in the price range I have been looking in. The only downside being they weigh in at 7.6 kgs. A good harness is part of the deal which would help I would imagine. Has anyone used one of these. Will only be using it on big jobs because still have smaller Shindawa which has been faultless for all other jobs. Just wondering if biggest is best or am I just over excited - If these guys who I trust totally order the machine in its mine / theirs so better to be sure before ordering..

How many hours per month do you think you'd be using this.
http://www.allpower.com.au/product/shindaiwa-c350-brushcutter/

Keep in mind this can't be used as a back up to the other shiny as a edge trimmer.

edbeek
26-05-2014, 05:56 PM

I don't think that the weight will be an issue using a harness. My handlebar Shingu is 8kg and I can swing on it all day, but I get stiff & sore after an hour on a loop handle.
But in my opinion, if you go with a handle bar type, go 40cc+.

Have a talk to your Briggs & Stratton dealer and ask them about the future of Shingu in Australia. They don't seem to promote them at all, but I think they are a great machine. I've had my 43cc Shingu for over 3 years and it's been faultless.
If you can get a 43cc at this price, you could get a light Shindy for resi work and still be under your $1k budget.
http://www.melbournesmowercentre.com.au/brushcutters-with-bike-handles

PaulG
27-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Wow some of those prices are cheap. Wonder if they still have the policy where you have to pick up new items in store only. I talked to them once but they wouldn't not freight which I found odd.