PDA

View Full Version : Digging up Agapanthus.

ma1green
23-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi guys, I have a job to dig up about a 10 metre stretch of Agapanthus next week. I was wondering what would be the best way? Is it just a case of literally digging them out with brawn or is there an easy way?, because it looks like a real pain because they are quite big and the roots look like a real bastard to get out. Plus they are right up against a fence so I can only get at them from one side.

I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I've never done it before.

SM MOWING
23-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Digging to keep or bin?

They have roots that spread outwards around in a circle, so you'll need to dig around to sever as many roots as possible then leverage out the ground. Can be a bit&h. Helps if the soil is more sandy, less for the roots to hold onto. I would work from right to left or left to right .

Stump
23-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Matic and heavy crow bar would be the go

ma1green
23-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks fellas. I'm going to be throwing them SM Mowing. The soil is quite sandy so should'nt be too bad then. I don't have a matic so I'll have to buy one I think.

Fred's mowing
23-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks fellas. I'm going to be throwing them SM Mowing. The soil is quite sandy so should'nt be too bad then. I don't have a matic so I'll have to buy one I think.

Bobcat would be the best but Im betting you don't have one, so,
SHARP , Long handled spade, SHARP axe, SHARP mattock & a good set of radio earmuffs.
Cheers Fred.

seliment
23-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Absolute pest plant in the Dandenongs -- brute of stuff.
Mattock or pickaxe with a blade about 75mm wide and sharp works well.
Dont worry too much about getting whole root ball initially.
There will be a mass/tangle of roots left which will come out later with a fork.

Check with council --- you (or owner) might be able to get voucher to dump for free, but you have to ask.
That is case in shire Yarra ranges with environmental weeds -- aggi, ivy etc.

Joe

geoff
23-05-2014, 06:10 PM
if any root system remains it will strike again,found if you hit early to the new leaf with weedicide(wetter soil mixed ) will kill it off...
funny i did a 500 meter drive way the other week planting with agapanthus hope i don't get called back in 10 years to remove it..then again if i am working in 10 years i would be wrapped lol

Redeye
23-05-2014, 08:33 PM
mattock, pot them up and take them to your local markets, $5-10 each

Bracey
24-05-2014, 12:24 AM
angle grinder and sharpen your spade

sterlo
24-05-2014, 07:46 AM
I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I've never done it before.

And most likely never again.....

Sterlo

brodie
24-05-2014, 08:50 AM
it seems obvious to me but i am very much pro machinery but why not hire a mini skid or excavator ?

its about working smatter not harder. with either machine i could have the job done in a few hours and be on the the next without breaking myself.

your throwing the plant so doesn't really matter if they are damaged

work smart not hard on jobs like these they will be the ones that you can hurt yourself on and they dont have to be. these jobs can be good little money earners and can be enjoyable

Bluey
24-05-2014, 09:05 AM
From experience they are a right pain in the bum. If you can use machinery I would otherwise your going to know you have done them.

joeymoey
25-05-2014, 11:37 AM
X10000

To everyone that said a Bob Cat or Excavator.

You need to charge accordingly as it's a PITA job.

Get some machinery and make it a it a breeze!