PDA

View Full Version : comfortable 3 seater utes

steveo
30-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Is there such a thing or is going dual cab the only way?

Looked at hilux, BT50 and Mitsubishi, all very cramped 3rd seat.

I am really reluctant to lose the space of the single cab chassis tray but the kids are getting bigger and its getting more and more tempting to splash out on one of the modern, powerful, economical, comfortable turbo diesel dual cabs. They seem to be everywhere now.

brett73
30-05-2014, 05:16 PM
I am really reluctant to lose the space of the single cab chassis tray but the kids are getting bigger and its getting more and more tempting to splash out on one of the modern, powerful, economical, comfortable turbo diesel dual cabs. They seem to be everywhere now.

And the kids love them also :dance the economy, comfort and room, is why I love the decision I made to get the dual cab Colorado. We are even taking it on our next trip to QLD in Jan instead of the wifes xtrail.

Have you looked at some of the king cabs/xtra cabs that are available.

steveo
30-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Nah Brett. I haven't really looked but I think they would grow out of a king cab/xtra cab. I guess their is a good reason yourself and many others are going for the duel cabs.
It's probably value for money in the end. Looked at a triton 4 door diesel 4wd today around the $31k with tow bar. 5 year warranty. Drive away. It's like a car inside. If it wasn't for the kids I'd stick with the old banger even though fuel economy isn't great but seems the prices are pretty competitive (if we can survive the downturn).

SM MOWING
30-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Driven all the newest dual cabs, found the Ford Ranger the bee's nee's of dual cabs but very expensive! How could you go past a triton $28k drive away with 5 year warrenty! Only thing I didn't like with the triton was the turning circle was pretty avg and the turbo lag was noticeable.

Is it possible to fit an aftermarket blow off valve and boost controller to a diesel turbo to adjust wastegate pressure and hold a bit more pressure in the inlet pipe to try and alleviate some turbo spooling lag? You can do this with petrol cars so is it possible with diesels?

BSD
30-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Just jokin here but nothing like a good old HR or FB ect Holden, had 'em, no probs at all....3 in the front not much grunt, but we got there.

jd
30-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Over the last 10 years i've had 3 falcon utes, all 3 seaters. The current one is a 2006 BA - very comfortable. I buy the 3 seater to fit my 2 children and i. They're now 16 and 13 and they are beginning to think it is a bit tight. I just explain to them that when i was a boy we would fit 4 or 5 in the back in 35 degree heat... :no pity

imoww
30-05-2014, 11:02 PM
I updated from the rodeo 4x4 to a new nissan navara dual cab last year. As usual, turbo diesel.
Verry comfy. It's 2 wheel drive too. Don't need 4x4. I do a fair bit
Of highway. Driving too.
It was the best value for dollar at the time

imoww
30-05-2014, 11:05 PM
7541here it is when I bought it.
I've put a rear canopy on it since

PaulG
30-05-2014, 11:25 PM
How do you guys go getting loans for new vehicles and higher price ZTRs? I'm having a lot of trouble even just getting a meeting with a loans officer. No-one wants to give me a loan because my income is just not that high but I know I could make the repayments work.

imoww
31-05-2014, 05:17 AM
Thats weird.
i just walked into my local bank and requested a meeting for a business loan / lease?
a week later, i was signing up a business lease type loan.
just had to prove my income basically.

How do you guys go getting loans for new vehicles and higher price ZTRs? I'm having a lot of trouble even just getting a meeting with a loans officer. No-one wants to give me a loan because my income is just not that high but I know I could make the repayments work.

EVAN86
31-05-2014, 07:52 AM

Don't know if this is of any interest to you Paul, but Toro are doing 36 month interest free finance on there ride on's at the moment.

steveo
31-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Driven all the newest dual cabs, found the Ford Ranger the bee's nee's of dual cabs but very expensive! How could you go past a triton $28k drive away with 5 year warrenty! Only thing I didn't like with the triton was the turning circle was pretty avg and the turbo lag was noticeable.

Is it possible to fit an aftermarket blow off valve and boost controller to a diesel turbo to adjust wastegate pressure and hold a bit more pressure in the inlet pipe to try and alleviate some turbo spooling lag? You can do this with petrol cars so is it possible with diesels?

Interesting, i haven't test driven one yet but will keep it in mind when I do.

steveo
31-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Just jokin here but nothing like a good old HR or FB ect Holden, had 'em, no probs at all....3 in the front not much grunt, but we got there.

Had an old HT with bench seat in front. That was the most comfortable seat, it had springs in it that really gave good support and there was something about the ride height that just made you feel good. But the best bit was having the high, low beam switch as a button on the floor. Now that was cool.

steveo
31-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Hey Immow, how do you go with the canopy? I see the canopy as being a big hassle for me because i don't have a toolbox on the trailers, I tend to carry all power tools, hand tools, bags, fuel, sprayers etc on the tray and have a toolbox bolted to the ute tray. I don't like the thought of getting in through the back all the time. How does it work for you?

imoww
31-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi Stevo.
My canopy has the side windows that lift upwards with hydraulic shocks.
i have all my sprayers etc next to the side windows.
i just reach in from the side. just as easy as the tray top.

Hey Immow, how do you go with the canopy? I see the canopy as being a big hassle for me because i don't have a toolbox on the trailers, I tend to carry all power tools, hand tools, bags, fuel, sprayers etc on the tray and have a toolbox bolted to the ute tray. I don't like the thought of getting in through the back all the time. How does it work for you?

brett73
31-05-2014, 11:19 AM

I just went into the Holden dealer and used their finance guy to organise me a Chattel Mortgage http://www.businessmoney.com.au/experts-chattel-mortgage.php
This was the only way I could get the loan according to a few different banks /finance people I spoke to, with little to no income.

imoww
31-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Same mortgage as me.
apparently, this is the best way for a small business. no ballon payment at the end and its yours to keep.

I just went into the Holden dealer and used their finance guy to organise me a Chattel Mortgage http://www.businessmoney.com.au/experts-chattel-mortgage.php
This was the only way I could get the loan according to a few different banks /finance people I spoke to, with little to no income.

BeetleJuice
31-05-2014, 11:48 AM

I went thru the process looking into dual cab ute with and without canopy,found most tray length you couldn't fit the line trimmers in due to being too short.

Took measurements and found some utes you can go corner to corner but not too good when trying to stack 3 in on top of each other.

With trailer and canopy all your backing will have to be done on mirrors as no visibility trying to look out the back window.

imoww
31-05-2014, 12:45 PM
i agree with you . i have the one whippy which fits in the back canopy diagonally.
but i can see through all the windows in the canopy. but when its full, i use the mirrors.
At least its not a canopy like the Police trucks. they have to use their mirrors all the time.

I went thru the process looking into dual cab ute with and without canopy,found most tray length you couldn't fit the line trimmers in due to being too short.

Took measurements and found some utes you can go corner to corner but not too good when trying to stack 3 in on top of each other.

With trailer and canopy all your backing will have to be done on mirrors as no visibility trying to look out the back window.

jal2007
31-05-2014, 01:49 PM
i agree with you . i have the one whippy which fits in the back canopy diagonally.
but i can see through all the windows in the canopy. but when its full, i use the mirrors.
At least its not a canopy like the Police trucks. they have to use their mirrors all the time.

Why dont you use multi tools machines?

imoww
31-05-2014, 02:24 PM
i do but not the whippy.
Why dont you use multi tools machines?

RSM-Gazza
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I have the 2007 Hilux Workmate 2.7ltr cab tray and its brilliant for towing the heavy tandem trailer and everyday it just starts and works and the maintenance needed on it I do myself so far.

BUT!!!
When you drop in to the supermarket for some shopping + two slabs and say maybe you picked up one of the family and some shopping, things get rather tight. Yes the beer can be loaded on tray provided you've not got to stop at a couple shops.

So I'm waiting for the next generation release of the new Hilux Dual Cab Chassis due about March next year. But who knows if the runout deals to clear the superseded Hilux are a deal too hard to knock back, that maybe the that path to take. Will wait to see what the more advanced new Hilux offering is. Motor writers should be giving us test write ups by Xmas.
I'm convinced the dual cab is the way to go, even with the smaller tray.
Re an Extra Cab, kinda think putting shopping or gear behind the folding back seat and re folding the seat to get it out would sh*t me very soon. My youngest daughter has a 3doors Getz and the 3 doors is a total pain compared to say the flexibility of my wife's 4 door Yaris. So I think the same principles will apply to the Hilux.
I need the 4X4 for towing the boat in and out of non concrete ramps.
Well were in June now and not too much longer to wait.

I'm loyal to Toyota for reasons of built quality and reasons other than brand name, if that loyalty wasn't there, the new Ford Ranger would be my choice without question.

fastfreddy
01-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Over the years, I have tried diesel twin cabs and single cabs as well as petrol/LPG Falcon utes. The Falcons have generally been cheaper to own and more reliable in service.
In my experience, the problem with the diesels (especially once they are out of warranty) has been the cost of repairs. Add to that the greater service costs and generally higher purchase price and the Falcon is in front. Yes, the Falcon likes a drink but fuel costs are only part of the equation.
Cheers
FF

4 Gardens
01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
but i can see through all the windows in the canopy..

Other option is a tray back dual cab, I have seen canopies made to fit them as well

NLALM
01-06-2014, 07:06 PM
I had a single cab hilux, and as the kids got a bit older and I realized I would be picking them up from school , I bought a new hilux dual cab, and although the tray is a little shorter I had a small extension put on the sides to make them a little higher .There is no way I will ever be without a dual cab ute even if I gave mowing away, you just use it for so many things

steveo
01-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Over the years, I have tried diesel twin cabs and single cabs as well as petrol/LPG Falcon utes. The Falcons have generally been cheaper to own and more reliable in service.
In my experience, the problem with the diesels (especially once they are out of warranty) has been the cost of repairs. Add to that the greater service costs and generally higher purchase price and the Falcon is in front. Yes, the Falcon likes a drink but fuel costs are only part of the equation.
Cheers
FF

I just paid $2600 to replace the turbo and intercooler on our Kia sorrento 2007. I have never ever spent that much on a car repair. Most of that cost was the parts not the labour. Turbos are not repairable, when they go, they go. When buying 2nd hand diesels check for signs of oil leaking from the intercooler.

SunM
01-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Re an Extra Cab, kinda think putting shopping or gear behind the folding back seat and re folding the seat to get it out would sh*t me very soon. My youngest daughter has a 3doors Getz and the 3 doors is a total pain compared to say the flexibility of my wife's 4 door Yaris. So I think the same principles will apply to the Hilux.

I'm loyal to Toyota for reasons of built quality and reasons other than brand name, if that loyalty wasn't there, the new Ford Ranger would be my choice without question.

Have you tried the PJ/PK Ranger & the Mazda BT50 extra cabs? They've got the suicide doors so you can easily get in the back. We've got one at work for another crew and it's great, I think they've got the full size tray on the back too. We've got a lot of those era Rangers too, heaps of power, autos are strong, I found the seats more comfortable than my current model BT50. I've had a Toyota and LR in the past, but after doing the research into a brand new ute my loyalty lies with Mazda/Ford. As for diesel v petrol, I've been converted to diesel all the way.

Fred's mowing
01-06-2014, 09:55 PM
I just paid $2600 to replace the turbo and intercooler on our Kia sorrento 2007. I have never ever spent that much on a car repair. Most of that cost was the parts not the labour. Turbos are not repairable, when they go, they go. When buying 2nd hand diesels check for signs of oil leaking from the intercooler.

How many k's ? I have a 2008 Kia Sorento with about 95k :frightene
Cheers Fred.

steveo
02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
How many k's ? I have a 2008 Kia Sorento with about 95k :frightene
Cheers Fred.

150k. Bought it when it had 95k. After I had bought it I noticed a slight oil seepage from the intercooler. You need to remove the bash plate to see it. I was always unsure as to wether a bit of oil in the inttercooler was normal, some mechanics said it was fairly normal. Anyway as time wore on i noticed more smoke and the power dropped significantly towing the camper up the clyde mountain where I think it it went in to limp home mode. That's when I thought better suss it out. The diesel mechanic reckons he took off the front of the turbo and could notice the play in the bearing or whatever it is and that is where the oil was getting through. He suggested using 5w30 viscosity oil rather than the 15w40 I was using. He also said do oil changes more frequently. I'm not sold that it was the oil that caused it but I will be using 5w30 in future. In my case there were two issues. A pressure leak in the cooler AND a leaky turbo. Makes me wonder if one of those caused the other.

You can't do much about it but in future i'll avoid any diesel with an oily cooler or even oil seepage around the hoses.

BeetleJuice
02-06-2014, 09:49 AM

If you are going to use this vehicle for work 95% of the time and use it to drop off kids at school then why would you need a dual cab to be driven around for the rest of the day empty with only you in it.

When a 3 seater keeps it as a work vehicle and suited to your needs.

steveo
02-06-2014, 09:53 AM
The cost of parts in future are going to skyrocket now we have no local car industry. There is a huge variations in imported manufacturers and models so who is going to want to stock any parts at all? Once your warranty is over you may have to pay a lot of money for parts. My first experience of this now is with the ford courier/mazda bravo ute and the Kia. Before that always bought aussie made cars. Even now I am reluctant to sell my EF sedan that is clogging up the driveway because parts are relatively cheap and the knowledge to fix every little bit of them is widespread in Australia but kids aren't driving them because of the fuel cost. especially now the LPG price has gone up so high. I see a lot of these cars sitting on peoples front or back yards with possibly a minor issue just rotting away. It's the throw away mentality now, however if you have paid 30-40k for a ute you can not throw it away, you must fix it before offloading it and there is the catch with new vehicles.

steveo
02-06-2014, 09:59 AM
If you are going to use this vehicle for work 95% of the time and use it to drop off kids at school then why would you need a dual cab to be driven around for the rest of the day empty with only you in it.

When a 3 seater keeps it as a work vehicle and suited to your needs.

That is the dillema. It's always a compromise.

steveo
02-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Other option is a tray back dual cab, I have seen canopies made to fit them as well

I assume there is a maximum limit as to vehicle length which I guess is around the 5 metre mark.

How is the allowable maximum tray length determined on a dual cab or any ute for that matter?

Who says yay or nay if there is a prang and legalities get involved?

steveo
02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Just googled it up and it appears that general consensus is 'maximum past the rear axle centre of 60% of the wheelbase'.

SunM
02-06-2014, 11:59 AM
I assume there is a maximum limit as to vehicle length which I guess is around the 5 metre mark.

How is the allowable maximum tray length determined on a dual cab or any ute for that matter?

Who says yay or nay if there is a prang and legalities get involved?

I've looked at this too, from what I've read the tray can't extend passed the towbar.

ASTRO
02-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Just brought a 2009 t/d Triton for $10k with 60,000 klms on the clock.
First diesel ive owned.Will have to double check when filling up at the petrol station.
I heard the issues with the triton,but time will tell.
Went the single cab,every mm in tray capacity is vital to me it makes the money.

joeymoey
02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Hey there mate,

Why not buy a truck?

I bought a Foton Aumark 4.49Tonne tray truck.

2.8 T/D Cummins Engine
ZF 5 speed gearbox
4 Tonne towing capacity
A/C
Power windows
Full size middle seat

Only $30,000 Driveaway with a tray.

Service intervals are every 20K meaning that it works out cheaper, compared to the the current Hilux it craps over it for power IMO

Just a thought.

I'm in your same boat, next vehicle I'm getting is a Ford F250 Extra cab (6 seats)

I was keen on getting the new landcruiser dual cab ute, however I found them to be terribly gutless considering it has a 4.7 litre V8

steveo
02-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Hey there mate,

Why not buy a truck?

I bought a Foton Aumark 4.49Tonne tray truck.

2.8 T/D Cummins Engine
ZF 5 speed gearbox
4 Tonne towing capacity
A/C
Power windows
Full size middle seat

Only $30,000 Driveaway with a tray.

Service intervals are every 20K meaning that it works out cheaper, compared to the the current Hilux it craps over it for power IMO

Just a thought.

I'm in your same boat, next vehicle I'm getting is a Ford F250 Extra cab (6 seats)

I was keen on getting the new landcruiser dual cab ute, however I found them to be terribly gutless considering it has a 4.7 litre V8

Funny you should mention that. Was just down at the local ford dealer peering thru the ranger and izuzu windows and walked past a foton and I noticed the full size seat but it just seemed to big though it may not have been the same one as yours. Gunna have to google your model.

joeymoey
02-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Seriously mate! You won't regret it, having the big tray has meant that I can cart 4 cubic loads of mulch, finish additional jobs as well as the fact that it's pretty good on the juice.

Your local diesel mechanic can service them and the parts are available from Cummins (cheaper than the dealer)It's less than 500mm longer than my 08 dual cab hilux.

steveo
02-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Hey Joey, Couldn't find any reference to Aumark on the futon site. Only thing looked similar was something called the ISF 2.8 SWB. You'd still need a trailer for push mowers and rideon though wouldn't you?

joeymoey
02-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Depends what ride on you are using.

For the JD 54 inch MOD yes I need the trailer.

For the Cox - no.

Just get a good set of ramps on you'll be fine.

http://www.fotontrucks.com.au/vehicles/

The ISF 2.8 is the one I have.

ISF is just the model of the cummins engine.

My mate who was a truck mechanic at isuzu said "f*** mate those fotons go alright"

steveo
03-06-2014, 10:08 AM
seems that the price is now $32990 http://www.macarthurfoton.com.au/latest-offers/page.aspx?p=6a9ecc2e-cd2f-41c6-a794-1bf35a2f8e89 from some dealers

but I do see some advertised as $29990 http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?_N=1550+1552+1600+4294884209&R=15151781

Looks like a price rise somewhere, maybe the cheaper ones are 2013 and 2014 has an upgrade or something or maybe just a price rise?

joeymoey
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
seems that the price is now $32990 http://www.macarthurfoton.com.au/latest-offers/page.aspx?p=6a9ecc2e-cd2f-41c6-a794-1bf35a2f8e89 from some dealers

but I do see some advertised as $29990 http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?_N=1550+1552+1600+4294884209&R=15151781

Looks like a price rise somewhere, maybe the cheaper ones are 2013 and 2014 has an upgrade or something or maybe just a price rise?

I'm sure you can haggle some $$$ out of them either way ;)

It really craps over having a 1 tonne ute.

You'll get a good long life as its made for commercial use rather than a ute which IMO isn't a commercial vehicle.

steveo
03-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Local dealer reckons that for $29990 you get a steel tray and for $32990 you get the alloy tray. The one down the road is a medium wheel base with alloy tray but the cabin is the same. Had a bit more of a look at the interior, the plastic is pretty flimsy looking. Its the opposite principle to the dual cab utes which are more and more car like in comfort and accessories. This thing is bare bones designed for one purpose, to carry a load BUT it has a relatively comfortable 3rd seat and you fell 10 foot tall sitting in it. One thing that really annoys me is my shed doesn't have enough clearance to fit through the door. Cabin height is a bit over 2.10m and my clearance is exactly 2.10m. Spewin about that. Then again haven't test driven it so getting ahead of myself. Gotta love the business card holder in the dash. One thing I didn't like was there is no underbody protection for the radiator and intercooler and they both have low clearance. You'd need to take care going over gutters and such.

PaulG
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Interesting links. Have never heard of that brand before.

steveo
03-06-2014, 01:42 PM
i tell a lie, now the dealer reckons 29990 was a promotion for the 2013 model. New ones now are 32990 with alloy tray. Took one for a drive, nice feel to the engine and gearbox, brakes are good also, has an air brake. Turning circle is what you'd expect from such a long wheel base.

joeymoey
05-06-2014, 01:32 AM
Try the AC out?

I'd go for the alloy tray if I had my time again. Easier to keep clean, weighs less so you can carry more, can't rust away.

Let me know how you go. It's definitely the best bang for your buck.

joeymoey
05-06-2014, 01:46 AM
i tell a lie, now the dealer reckons 29990 was a promotion for the 2013 model. New ones now are 32990 with alloy tray. Took one for a drive, nice feel to the engine and gearbox, brakes are good also, has an air brake. Turning circle is what you'd expect from such a long wheel base.
Maybe have a look at one of these?

Not sure where you are, but I'd be keen on driving a VIC one up to you. (excuse for time off ;)

http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=14852763&__Qpb=1&Cr=4&__Ns=p_StockHasPrice_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_StockPrice_D ecimal%7c0%7c%7cp_StockRankSort_Int32%7c1&__N=1550%201552%201715%201600%201601%201602%204294 958828%204294884209&silo=1701&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=36&__sid=14669A8A3647

I'd look at this one, make rubbish removal a breeze and it provides a place to look up all your gear.

http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=16391317&__Qpb=1&Cr=5&__Ns=p_StockHasPrice_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_StockPrice_D ecimal%7c0%7c%7cp_StockRankSort_Int32%7c1&__N=1550%201552%201715%201600%201601%201602%204294 958828%204294884209&silo=1701&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=36&__sid=14669A8A3647

http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=23788392&__Qpb=1&Cr=7&__Ns=p_StockHasPrice_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_StockPrice_D ecimal%7c0%7c%7cp_StockRankSort_Int32%7c1&__N=1550%201552%201715%201600%201601%201602%204294 958828%204294884209&silo=1701&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=36&__sid=14669A8A3647

steveo
05-06-2014, 09:41 AM
The one with the cage looks good value, low k's too. Unfortunately it won't fit through the shed brick fascia even without the cage. Was looking at Ford transits yesterday but came to the conclusion they don't make short wheel bases. Also seems that they don't make transit utes anymore.

What's with AC?

joeymoey
05-06-2014, 12:59 PM
If you were going down that path I'd be recommending a VW personally. Heard of too many issues with the transits, all my friends with Crafters (Merc Sprinters) or Transporter have ll had a good run.
Could you get the truck lowered?

The one with the cage looks good value, low k's too. Unfortunately it won't fit through the shed brick fascia even without the cage. Was looking at Ford transits yesterday but came to the conclusion they don't make short wheel bases. Also seems that they don't make transit utes anymore.

What's with AC?

sterlo
06-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Been trying to convince the boss woman that we need this over a new dual cab....not very successfully though

http://www.trucksales.com.au/showroom/details.aspx?R=379010&Silo=Spec&Vertical=industry&Ridx=2&eapi=2&Ridx=2&eapi=2

Fred's mowing
06-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Been trying to convince the boss woman that we need this over a new dual cab....not very successfully though

http://www.trucksales.com.au/showroom/details.aspx?R=379010&Silo=Spec&Vertical=industry&Ridx=2&eapi=2&Ridx=2&eapi=2

If ya gunna go that far Sterlo, have a look at the Iveco 4x4 Daily.
Im actually surprised that the Mitsu would cost nearly 70 & be only 4x2.
Ive had my Mazda T4000 for 17 yrs now & its been brilliant.
Used practically every day & just a clutch is the only mechanical thing Ive ever needed to do.
For my purposes, its set up exactly the way I want.
Im surprised more on here don't have light trucks ?
Cheers Fred.

Mow And Go
06-06-2014, 05:25 PM
another thumbs up for a truck :)

PaulG
06-06-2014, 06:43 PM
How much better is business in the capital and major cities? I'd be happy just getting into a 10 year old 2WD ute :)

joeymoey
09-06-2014, 02:39 AM
If ya gunna go that far Sterlo, have a look at the Iveco 4x4 Daily.
Im actually surprised that the Mitsu would cost nearly 70 & be only 4x2.
Ive had my Mazda T4000 for 17 yrs now & its been brilliant.
Used practically every day & just a clutch is the only mechanical thing Ive ever needed to do.
For my purposes, its set up exactly the way I want.
Im surprised more on here don't have light trucks ?
Cheers Fred.

Hey Fred,

I'd steer clear of Ivecos to be totally honest.
Dad drove relocations for Britz/Maui etc and got caught 5 times with mechanical faults on the Ivecos.

I've spoken to numerous tradies who love their VW Transporters/Crafters and Merc Sprinters.
Merc Vitos are no go though.

I'm with Coastguard and our 4x4 Mitsubishi Canter is ok, not great on the highway.
Mitsu trucks seemed to have the worst ride quality of all the trucks I've been in.
Hino were the best all round, however being a subsidiary of Toyota they're purchase price is slightly more. - In saying this, I'm hoping to get a Hino Tipper next or just another Foton Aumark.

Stripes
09-06-2014, 09:33 AM
I've got the VW Transporter and love it. Dual cab with full size tray (2.0 x 2.2m and 400mm high sides). I've already done 75k in just over two years. It is so much more comfortable than my Hilux, and fuel consumption is so good. I get about 800km out of 70L city driving. It has an 80L tank but I fill up when the light comes on which still has 10L in the tank. I have worked out it has saved me about 12k in fuel over the last 2 years compared to if I was driving my 4.0L petrol Hilux.

It is 2.0L twin turbo diesel which has plenty of power. 132kw with 400Nm Torque. We use it to go camping with our camper trailer all loaded up and it seriously hardy feels like it's there. For those that know the F3, I just put it on cruise control on 110kmh and don't have to down gears except on either side of the Mooney Mooney bridge. Without the trailer it sits on 110 without any dramas. Even with the trailer on the higway I got 800km's off a tank, and we drove it to the Gold Coast from Sydney and after a few days up there we got 997km's. Would have got the 1000kms but I didn't know when the next servo was!

It is just under 2.0m high, so fits in most car parks. I won't go in without 2.1m clearance.
It is a little harder to park in normal car spaces being a bit wider than most vehicles but nothing too bad. It's more being aware of other people trying to get in to their cars with the tray being wider than the cab, they might struggle to get back in their cars if I don't leave enough room.
I had an after market stereo put in with reverse camera for about $800.

I have worked out it has saved me about 12k in fuel over the last 2 years compared to if I was still driving my 4.0L petrol Hilux for work. The only weird thing is the back windows do not open. The back doors are very truck like, but it's still comfy back there. The back seat also has heaps of storage underneath it so I put my expensive tools in there out of sight. You could easily fit all the attachments for a multi tool in there as well as whippy cord and stuff like that.

It is front wheel drive which I have found to be so much safer than rear wheel drive in the wet. It has traction control too. You all know how slippery rear wheel drive utes are in the wet. I feel a lot more confident in the VW than the hilux when it's wet.

Mine cost me 52k with alloy wheels, factory tray, colour coded bumper, and extra front seat to make it a 6 seater. The base version was 48k drive away. I have the 6 speed manual, but I have read that the autos have had some problems.

SunM
09-06-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm with Coastguard and our 4x4 Mitsubishi Canter is ok, not great on the highway.
Mitsu trucks seemed to have the worst ride quality of all the trucks I've been in.
Hino were the best all round, however being a subsidiary of Toyota they're purchase price is slightly more. - In saying this, I'm hoping to get a Hino Tipper next or just another Foton Aumark.

We have a fleet of various models of Mitsu and Isuzu trucks and a 4x4 Hino that has a ridiculous turning circle but otherwise is pretty good. I've found the smaller Mitsu Canters to be more comfortable and reliable over the Isuzu's, we've got a lot around the ~2002 era model range. They've both got the same features really, I find the Mitsu interior for user friendly though. The turbo models tho, Isuzu makes this whine that I just focus on >_>. We've got a few Mit Fighters which are awesome, best trucks I've driven and a 2yo Isuzu 600 series with the auto with the only real complaint being the auto isn't that smart and you need to use manual a bit to get the gear you want/need.

If you are carrying a load tho, get something with air brakes, don't skimp out and get a smaller truck and load it heavy. In an emergency or if you need to brake hard you're going to have problems.

Fred's mowing
13-11-2014, 09:17 PM

Sterlo, try now.
Melb truck centre, truck has only 60k on it but less than half the price,
Im very, very tempted myself.
Somebody...... stop me !
Cheers Fred.

steveo
14-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Interseting to see its got heated door mirrors. Anyone familiar with the kia k2900. They don't make em anymore but there are 4 year old ones floating around the 15-20k mark. It's the only light truck that would fit in the shed.

Fred's mowing
14-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Interseting to see its got heated door mirrors. Anyone familiar with the kia k2900. They don't make em anymore but there are 4 year old ones floating around the 15-20k mark. It's the only light truck that would fit in the shed.

Wasn't referring to the Kia, M&G has one.
Was referring to the Canter, a lot bigger truck.
Kia would be handy in the tight inner suburbs being narrow but, then again is it any bigger than a ute?
Cheers Fred.

steveo
14-11-2014, 08:35 PM
The Kia tray is 3.11m long and 1.63m wide. Fair bit bigger than a ute but total length is about the size of the latest dual cabs. Yes Canter is much bigger, different class altogether.

steveo
15-11-2014, 03:53 PM
For anyone interested here is a really practical review of the Kia K2900. Sounds like a contender for a gardening truck.

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2008/commercial/kia/k2900/kia-k2900-crdi-6523

Redeye
15-11-2014, 08:34 PM
they do look good, would want a serious bull-bar though

steveo
15-11-2014, 09:00 PM
there are no accessories for them so I doubt you could fit one.

a1 valet
16-11-2014, 05:52 AM
Are the Toro's any good? The main dealer I use said they arn't the best, but another said his main business is mainly those. How many of you guys use the toro are they comercial quality?

a1 valet
16-11-2014, 06:09 AM
I just bought a canopy for my bf xr8, I love it better than the hard lid I had. Glad I bought the type with the lift up windows rather than the sliding windows there is heaps more room in the window opening. Everything is dry all the time and lockable. Need to buy new lock all round though, $45 each lock and need 6.

Mow And Go
16-11-2014, 09:10 AM
I have a Kia K2700 ...basically the same as the k2900 ...just older. 470+k on it ...doesnt like Hills but pulls a ton of tools all day every day and the toro when I take it without issue ...starter motor is all ive had issues with personally

johnnie5
22-11-2014, 01:48 PM
I just bought a canopy for my bf xr8, I love it better than the hard lid I had. Glad I bought the type with the lift up windows rather than the sliding windows there is heaps more room in the window opening. Everything is dry all the time and lockable. Need to buy new lock all round though, $45 each lock and need 6.

why new locks ?

if you dont have a key see a locksmith

if they dont lock get to bunnings for some graphite powder and put a little on the key and stick it in and out the lock
a few times , repeat if needed and the locks should work great

Fred's mowing
29-11-2014, 09:23 AM
150k. Bought it when it had 95k. After I had bought it I noticed a slight oil seepage from the intercooler. You need to remove the bash plate to see it. I was always unsure as to wether a bit of oil in the inttercooler was normal, some mechanics said it was fairly normal. Anyway as time wore on i noticed more smoke and the power dropped significantly towing the camper up the clyde mountain where I think it it went in to limp home mode. That's when I thought better suss it out. The diesel mechanic reckons he took off the front of the turbo and could notice the play in the bearing or whatever it is and that is where the oil was getting through. He suggested using 5w30 viscosity oil rather than the 15w40 I was using. He also said do oil changes more frequently. I'm not sold that it was the oil that caused it but I will be using 5w30 in future. In my case there were two issues. A pressure leak in the cooler AND a leaky turbo. Makes me wonder if one of those caused the other.

You can't do much about it but in future i'll avoid any diesel with an oily cooler or even oil seepage around the hoses.

Hey Stevo, just had mine diagnosed with exactly the same, a leaking turbo.
Funny thing is, it just started to happen when I changed the oil.
On startup a fair cloud of blue/grey smoke.
Penerite 15w50 was the oil I used after consulting the handbook & selecting from the range given.
Might try the 5w30, see what happens.
$1800 was the quoted repair bill & then we'll monitor it after that :roll eyes: hmmm.
Not so sure about paying near 2G & the prob MIGHT be fixed.
You still got the car & if so, hows it going ?
Cheers Fred.

steveo
29-11-2014, 07:06 PM
That's a bugger fred. Yeah we still got it, tried to sell it, tried to trade it, but still got it and use it to tow the mowing trailer, I quite like it as a tow vehicle.

I decided to stick with 15w40 but only cause I had a fair bit of it left and I figure being summer and towing a tandem surely it wouldn't matter given the owners manual says to match the viscosity with the temperature.

So what has the mechanic quoted for? Black smoke indicates its burning fuel, blue smoke means its burning oil. Is the smoke coming out all the time or just when you are driving (get someone to follow you and to look at the smoke). When the turbo went on ours there was a noticable loss of power on accelaration. How does yours feel when you drive?

We and another issue with it when we went on holidays in August. i was towing a camper trailer and we hit an emu. And very closely after this (I know it can't be related but it s really weird) we started blowing serious black smoke (this was after a new turbo and intercooler had been fitted a few months prior). The smoke would leave a black mark on any concrete car park. The other sympton was severe loss of power, huge increase in fuel use ANd a sucking or hissing sound coming from the engine under accelaration which could be heard in the cabin. Turns out it was a ruptured EGR pipe AND a leaking inlet manifold. Check for either of these two things before you commit to any work on it. I got a new EGR valve fitted by a diesel mechanic. The inlet manifold is an absolute nightmare to get off ( I didn't bother, just patched it with knead it). Strangely the inlet manifold leak was blow not suck. I can't work out why but I'm new to diesels. There is some forum post that recommends blanking the EGR valve. I'm very curious about that, the claim is more power, better fuel economy but slightly higher engine temp. If you want to ask any questions feel free to PM me. Happy to help as much as i can.

We bought a 2nd hand sz diesel territory for the family car and can't recommend the territory highly enough. What a ripper of motor and ripper of a gearbox and well designed inside as well. Who said aussies can't make cars? Was absoultely stoked to find the oil filter on top of the engine in an easy to access position, also the owner manual is very well written with everything the home mechanic needs to know. Parts should also be cheaper and easier to find which is important to me.

steveo
29-11-2014, 07:10 PM
sorry meant to say we got a new egr pipe fitted, not a new egr valve. You may get similar symptons with a bung egr valve. The egr valve and pipe is in a bastard of a location as is the bloody oil filter on the sorrento. This should go in the grumpy thread but I seriously want to strangle the person who made the decision to locate the oil filter where they did.

steveo
29-11-2014, 07:26 PM
One more thing, look for sooty black smoke in the engine bay to indicate a leaking egr pipe or leaking inlet manifold. Listen for any strange sounds under load. If you have none of these symptons maybe its the turbo leaking BUT I don't realy know anything about diesels. One thing that I really want to know and i would appreciate if any one with knowledge of turbo diesels on this board could tell me could tell me is this. How much sooty black sludgy crap is acceptable inside the turbo hoses and why does it get like that? I checked the wall of one of the turbo hoses AFTER we had the new turbo and intercooler fitted and after the EGR pipe had split and was horrified to see the amount of black sludge. I thought this was the cause of the problem but the mechanic told me the issue was with the EGR pipe. He never told me what was normal as far as that sludge went? I am mystified.

Fred's mowing
30-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Many Thanx Stevo for the comprehensive reply.
Im going to try the 5w30 oil first (what have I got to loose).
Then maybe a rethink & maybe try to sell/trade?
They seemed great value to buy, maybe not to sell ?
I'll let you know how I go in pm's so we don't bore the masses.
Don't want to hijack the op's thread, oh, u r the op :wave-hi:
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
30-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Just a last thought.
I think I'll forget the 5w30 as its thinner oil.
Im assuming its getting into places where it shouldn't.
Cheers Fred.

steveo
30-11-2014, 06:26 PM
tried to PM you fred but got a message saying your mailbox is full. Yeah was thinking the same about the oil viscosity.

So what was the 1800 quote for? The turbo or the intercooler or both?

My turbo was 1140 genuine. Intercooler was 596 genuine. Labour and new oil and filter etc brought it up to 2687.70 including GST. How is your fuel economy by the way? Mine is not great, around 14 or 15litres per 100k's.

When they diagnosed my turbo issue they said they could feel some play in the bearing, I think you can do this by removing the turbo hose but i have never done it.

BSD
30-11-2014, 06:30 PM
And here I am with me 1997 Toyota duel cab hi-lux worth $2-4 grand in good condition and never lets me down, the comments with turbo this and that and expensive repairs bloody frighten me from up-dating to anything.

Redeye
30-11-2014, 06:39 PM
me too...not that I could afford to

steveo
30-11-2014, 07:03 PM
$2-4 grand is what you lose in depreciation per annum on a new car. More closer to 4k. Then you add rego, insurance, fuel etc and you get the picture that running a newer car is closer to 7 grand per annum. That's a lot of lawns.

geoff
30-11-2014, 07:16 PM
And here I am with me 1997 Toyota duel cab hi-lux worth $2-4 grand in good condition and never lets me down, the comments with turbo this and that and expensive repairs bloody frighten me from up-dating to anything.
i bought my 2 door hilux in 2004( brand new) and its still does all and cost hardly anything to maintain....after 10 years i have finally turned over 100k ( manage to keep my run tight,,) my accountant keeps telling me to upgrade to off the tax i am paying but why would i bother , jump in the thing everday turn the key and away we go..no turbos no diesal no costly repairs service fee and most importantly no problems.... ( touch wood lol )
Keep that 97 ute BSD you are on a winner

BSD
30-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Its got 216000 on the clock, and chug's along just nice, just looks 'dated'.

Fred's mowing
30-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Sorry Stevo, box cleared.
$1800 quote was to install new turbo only.
Wife drives the car & doesn't do fuel figures but, when I have done them b4, it was around 9-10l/100km.
When they diagnosed it, they said there was excessive play in the spindle/ propellor.
To the others who wrote in to say how well there cars were going, thanx :russ:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
30-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Here's my theory you may wish to tear apart.
A new car depreciates (on average) 10% per year, over 10 yrs.
After that, its worth very little, maybe 20% of its new value
Yes, it depreciates quicker in the first 1-3yrs but on average, around 10% per year.

A new car is worth "about" half its value within 5yrs.
Im thinking, why would I buy a 5yr old car at half its new cost & in another 5yrs its almost worthless.
I can buy a new car & in 5yrs time (kept in good nick) its still worth half what I spent.
So, Im driving a new car with a 5yr warranty around for the same cost as driving a 5yr old one around without a warranty.

No nasty surprises to worry about & now with fixed price servicing capped, reasonable servicing costs.
The only other expense I foresee is more expensive insurance.

Shoot me down! :big grin
Cheers Fred.

geoff
30-11-2014, 09:10 PM
totally agree Fredrick but in my case stick to a good thing....horses for courses you need a truck for your line of work others just need a ute and tow a trailer for the ride on or moving some mulch.....i do agree though new cars are so cheap now days , we got a new one for the mrs last year and with 5 yr warranties and fixed service fees cant shoot ya down on this subject....

edbeek
30-11-2014, 09:16 PM
I agree with your theory Fred, but getting that first new vehicle can be a big jump if you are buying on finance.
I'd love to trade my old ute now, but with a relatively low trade-in value, I'd be financing a big part of a new vehicle.
The second new vehicle(after 4-5 yrs) is not so bad because you would have a pretty good trade in value.

geoff
30-11-2014, 09:28 PM
ed you right it is a big jump when buying on finance ,i guess it depends on your situation every one ( thank god ) is different ..buying on finance now days is cheap money some banks offer as low as 6.5 % for car loan take off tax deductions for GST rebate ,depreciation and interest off the loan can reduce your tax bill...of course there is till the monthly repayments and that is always the bug in the budget.....When i bought my hilux i had intended on trading it in every 3 years but the bloody thing is unstoppable though was the last of the jap made since then all from Korea ..so probably will get another 10 years and retirement for me a well...

Redeye
30-11-2014, 09:34 PM
yep, my mazderati ute is 12 years young, still hasn't done 100 thou, no rust as such.....but its relative worth as trade in? I'll keep it me thinks

geoff
30-11-2014, 09:38 PM
sensational mate keep it give it the grandkids lol

edbeek
30-11-2014, 10:09 PM
My Hilux is '06 model with ~240k km and I wonder every morning if today's the day it's going to cost me a small fortune. :)
My next trade will have to be into a new vehicle. I don't have any faith in the longevity of the newer diesel engines, so have to buy new, and trade again while still under warranty.

Fred's mowing
01-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Oh, I failed to mention the interest. :doh
Cheers Fred.

4 Gardens
01-12-2014, 07:08 PM
The only other expense I foresee is more expensive insurance.

Shoot me down! :big grin
Cheers Fred.

In my experience the insurance in a new vehicle is normally cheaper, something about parts being easier to source

steveo
06-12-2014, 01:40 PM
As much as I have never liked the idea of leasing I do like the idea of a having a total monthly figure which covers all vehicle expenses. I hate it when you pay for 12mths rego or insurance or another vehicle and it throws out all your estimates as to how the business is travelling. How do you find out more about leasing? Is it something best done by car dealers or banks or someone else?

brett73
06-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I went and saw the finance manager at our local holden, and he helped me with everything, when I wanted to get my new work vehicle.

BSD
06-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Any Great Wall dudes out there?

steveo
08-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I have a Kia K2700 ...basically the same as the k2900 ...just older. 470+k on it ...doesnt like Hills but pulls a ton of tools all day every day and the toro when I take it without issue ...starter motor is all ive had issues with personally

That is a great report. Test drove a K2900 today, close to buying it. Sick of going to the tip. I figure I'll still have to tow my trailer with it as there is no way I'm loading a push mower up and down it all day. Do you tow with yours? Is there any issue towing with a light truck like this? How do ypu find servicing costs or if you do it yourself how do you find that?

Mow And Go
09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Servicing.and parts is more than reasonable in my opinion, I dont tow a great deal with it but as stated, pulls 600-700kg of ztr plus all my other tools.with no issue so I cant imagine a trailer being a problem

steveo
10-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Couldn't quite seal the deal with the k2900 (but not ruling it out) so having a look at other light trucks, i.e. canter, isuzus etc. Asked a dealer about servicing costs today for a light truck and was staggered to learn that warranty condition is that it is serviced every 12mths. That's fine I thought but was told the cost would be roughly $700-$800 for a minor service and $2000 every 2nd year for the major. Is this normal for light trucks? Is there that much more to light trucks. I can understand there are more fluids and therefore more time but what else needs to be done?

NLALM
10-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Steve sounds like light trucks = light wallets

Fred's mowing
10-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Couldn't quite seal the deal with the k2900 (but not ruling it out) so having a look at other light trucks, i.e. canter, isuzus etc. Asked a dealer about servicing costs today for a light truck and was staggered to learn that warranty condition is that it is serviced every 12mths. That's fine I thought but was told the cost would be roughly $700-$800 for a minor service and $2000 every 2nd year for the major. Is this normal for light trucks? Is there that much more to light trucks. I can understand there are more fluids and therefore more time but what else needs to be done?

Sounds like they've spun you a line Stevo.
Ive had my Mazda T4000 for the last 18yrs & its been the best, most reliable vehicle Ive ever had.
Ive serviced it myself according to the owners handbook.
Its pretty simple really, oil change, oil & bypass filter, air filter, fuel filter, not much else.
One clutch & a seized front wheel bearing,radiator repair, thats just about it for mechanical repairs.
Obviously all the consumables, tyres, batteries, brakes etc but, that applies to all vehicles.
Really don't think servicing costs should be that much of a consideration compared to a ute/car.
My truck averages 12/13L per 100km.
I think the Kia would be great in tight inner suburban areas but, you realise the tray area is only about 20% larger than your average ute tray?
Cheers Fred.

steveo
11-12-2014, 09:36 AM
When did they stop making those Fred? I'm limited to a cabin height (to ground) of 2.17m. Are Mazda still making light trucks?

steveo
11-12-2014, 09:49 AM
So what's a T3500 fred? I assume its smaller? If you can point me to where I can find out more I'd like to know. It's not so obvious to find spec sheets on older cars and trucks.

Mow And Go
11-12-2014, 10:01 AM
you'd never pick it fred. I put a 54 toro on the back of mine with ease and that's including my 1200 wide (from headboard back) tool box ...I have high sides on mine giving me over a 6m3 capacity. as for servicing costs, tell that bloke to take a hike ...mines never cost me more than 4-600 for a service and that's having a mechanic doing it for me.

Mow And Go
11-12-2014, 10:04 AM
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?11738-Newcomer-from-Revesby/page6&highlight=revesby ...that's all the equipment I carry on the truck ...only problem I have is if I have the ZTR on the back, the pressure washer and billy goat stay home or vice versa ...not a big deal as I never use all 3 machines on the same day regardless.

Fred's mowing
11-12-2014, 07:36 PM
So what's a T3500 fred? I assume its smaller? If you can point me to where I can find out more I'd like to know. It's not so obvious to find spec sheets on older cars and trucks.

A T3500 is the older model with the 3.5 Litre motor. Its basically the same truck as a Ford Trader. You know, that Mazda/Ford thing.
Mazda dont import light trucks here anymore.
Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi (Fuso) seem to be the main brands of light trucks these days.
I think Joey moey bought a Foton which he said was great value. It has a cummins motor so should be good?
Think it only comes in single cab though.
Most of those light trucks have a payload of about 3 tons but can be down graded to 1.5 tons & driven on a car licence.
Cheers Fred.

steveo
13-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Nice setup mow and go. Very compact and professional looking. How do you go loading the ride on and pushies, do you have drop down ramps or use portable ramps. And also where do you throw your green waste? You could easily pull a little trailer for green waste when you needed to. The k2900 had heaps of power.

Hey fred, yeah I did drive a foton. Also tested the K2900. Now looking at IZuzu that do a small factory tipper that should fit in the shed. Stopped and spoke to another lawny the other day who was driving something called an E2000 or something like that. Turns out it was a smaller version of what you have. It was his fourth Mazda light truck. He didn't like the diesels and his pick at the moment was the mid 90's (i think) when they came out with EFI.

I mention the cost of servicing to the dealer and he sent me the exact schedule and cost etc. The dealers are obligated by the manufacturers to follow the schedule.

steveo
13-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Does anyone drive one of the latest auto falcon utes? The last ones (fgx) are a very pretty decent price for a 3 seater. What sort of economy are you getting towing a mowing trailer? I'm leaning towards petrol to avoid the annoying and kinda expensive annual LPG checks but apparently they are getting more power out of the LPG engine. ANyone got a tipper on their falcon ute? I'd be interested in how a tipper would go on it.

steveo
21-12-2014, 12:56 PM
ended up going with the KIA K2900. Pick it up next week.

RSM-Gazza
21-12-2014, 03:17 PM
ended up going with the KIA K2900. Pick it up next week.

Nice, that will serve you so well.
Gonna be hard for a while just to get out of it and service a property instead of the "Oh I just want to keep driving it ".

Enjoy the beast into 2015 and beyond.

Redeye
21-12-2014, 08:19 PM
good one steveo, would love one

ASTRO
21-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Congrats on the new unit steveo.
Looks like a pretty handy bus.

steveo
22-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys, hoping it serves me well and hoping the fuel economy is reasonable. Pick it up tommorrow, will post a review at some stage.

steveo
02-01-2015, 09:06 AM
For anyone who does or used to carry mowers on their utes I'd like to hear how you go getting push mowers on and off the tray using ramps. I'd like to try it out but i'm not sure what size ramp to buy and how I'd go walking a push mower on and off. The ride on would be straight forward becasue at least you just sit on it but the self propeeled is quite heavy. I suspect I'll still need to tow my trailer unless it is just as quick to get a mower on and off the tray.

Mow And Go
02-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Have a look at my welcome thread steveo. May be of interest?

Redeye
02-01-2015, 12:49 PM
I drive my s/p mowers up the ramps, on back wheels only obviously, let go of the s/p lever as soon as wheels are on the tray

steveo
07-01-2015, 08:58 PM
What height is your ute tray? My k2900 tray is 3 feet from the ground which is 6inches higher than my ford courier flatbed tray. Not sure how much higher than the trailer floor but more than 6 inches. How would you go wheeling the SP down, gears would be of no use.

steveo
22-01-2015, 08:45 PM
so far so good with the Kia K2900, very happy with it. Fuel economy is around 10-11 litres per 100klms towing a small trailer and ride on and all the gear etc. Loads of power. Great feeling driving a little truck, makes you feel 10 foot tall. Kids love it also. Only negative is poor traction at the rear wheels due to small wheel diameter. I'd recommend one.

steveo
13-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Would appreciate peoples opinions on this idea for extending the height of the aluminium tray sides. I've got a price for someone to make me up some security type door frames that will bolt on to the existing tray sides. Cost of each side would be $270 so all up $540 for both sides and they would extend the full length of the tray but I would not have it across the tailgate. I'd then bolt them on similar to the picture in which I've just used an old security door and attached using gclamps. I'd use 7mm aluminium diamond pattern because that is what is on the head board of the truck. Obviously no need for the flyscreen. What do people think, good idea, bad idea? It's to make it easier for carrying green waste. 81678168

Mow And Go
13-03-2015, 06:21 PM
After putting high sides on the k2700, wouldn't go back mate

BSD
13-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Keep the screens, forget the looks, your only a mowing guy, people don't give a sh1t.
Would appreciate peoples opinions on this idea for extending the height of the aluminium tray sides. I've got a price for someone to make me up some security type door frames that will bolt on to the existing tray sides. Cost of each side would be $270 so all up $540 for both sides and they would extend the full length of the tray but I would not have it across the tailgate. I'd then bolt them on similar to the picture in which I've just used an old security door and attached using gclamps. I'd use 7mm aluminium diamond pattern because that is what is on the head board of the truck. Obviously no need for the flyscreen. What do people think, good idea, bad idea? It's to make it easier for carrying green waste. 81678168

Fred's mowing
14-03-2015, 11:12 AM
High sides all the way if you want to increase the capacity.
Mine are just timber uprights bolted to the sides, then timber planks bolted to the uprights.
You can make it as flash or basic as you wish.
Cheap way to go but, one of my main considerations was condensing the load.
Although Im fully aware & careful, timber is far more forgiving if you nick it with the saw.
Cheers Fred.

Macka
14-03-2015, 04:20 PM

Screens not strong enough.

Just thinking that tying down anything will be a problem, the screen will flex in and bend, also throw a few big logs/branches on the truck and they land on the side and they will be f #%*d.

Bolt on some hungry boards, just need angle iron and some timber and bolts.

steveo
15-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Yeah tend to agree, leaning towards wood now, plus it should be cheaper. What type of wood would you recommend, don't want it too heavy. I've used hardwood floor decking on my previous ute but that would be too heavy given these sides need to be higher (2 foot)? Any other options? What about marine ply? It'll be stored under cover.

Redeye
15-03-2015, 02:46 PM
ply, maybe cypress flooring?

BSD
15-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Whats that plywood formworkers use, its waterproof.
Yeah tend to agree, leaning towards wood now, plus it should be cheaper. What type of wood would you recommend, don't want it too heavy. I've used hardwood floor decking on my previous ute but that would be too heavy given these sides need to be higher (2 foot)? Any other options? What about marine ply? It'll be stored under cover.

brett73
16-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Whats that plywood formworkers use, its waterproof.

Formply, it still twists and warps, would need a bit of bracing to keep it in shape.

imoww
16-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Try chicken wire and poles or timber frame8175

steveo
17-03-2015, 08:27 AM
That's not a chicken, it's a goat.

Scooby Steve
17-03-2015, 05:16 PM
That's not a chicken, it's a goat.

So that would make it goat wire then.

stephenst
17-03-2015, 05:36 PM
U

I use those "blow mould" tables from bunnings as extra height on the ute sides, just remove the legs. They are great, light weight, flexiblable, waterproof and easy to store.
I use them when I have green waste removal, I have 4 boards in total.
Good for a load of mulch as well.
I've been using them for the last 2 years and have not have ny problems.
You can pick them up on gumtree etc for cheap or just get em from bunnies.

steveo
17-03-2015, 07:49 PM
U

I use those "blow mould" tables from bunnings as extra height on the ute sides, just remove the legs. They are great, light weight, flexiblable, waterproof and easy to store.
I use them when I have green waste removal, I have 4 boards in total.
Good for a load of mulch as well.
I've been using them for the last 2 years and have not have ny problems.
You can pick them up on gumtree etc for cheap or just get em from bunnies.

Top idea. That might just work. Looked in to cypress pine and too heavy for my liking. Is this the tables you mean? Can you cut trim them down to size if necessary? http://www.bunnings.com.au/marquee-steel-blow-mould-table_p3191115

stephenst
18-03-2015, 05:05 AM
That's the one Steveo.
I don't know if you can cut them, they are hollow. It might fall apart like most stuff from Bunnings.

steveo
18-03-2015, 08:28 PM
light rain in Canberra this morning. I turn out of our street on to a road with a slight incline and it feels like the gear box has busted, the motor revs but nothing at the wheels. Then it clicked, no traction whatsover in any gear, first, 2nd or even third. Almost sliding back down the hill. On the way back went to do a left hand turn at a T-intersection (now that I think of it this intersection is always slippery in the wet). There was a car giving way to me. Luckily it waited, and didn't trust my blinker because as I turned I lost it completely and it just kept going trailer and all and slid straight past them and ended up on the other side of the intersection, luckily still on the road. I was going slow but it didn't matter. The back tyres are low on tread but not that low. Went straight home and rang the tyre place, getting four new ones on the back. I did read these trucks have traction issues and I have noticed in before, but this was a bit too hairy.

Fred's mowing
27-03-2015, 06:35 PM
8194 8195

How about these Steveo ?
Really a bit higher (possibly 3/4 way up ) but well built.
Not too high to make loading a chore.
Or you could just copy M&G .
Cheers Fred.

steveo
27-03-2015, 06:54 PM
they look good and strong but that build might be too heavy for my aluminium sides. Managed to track down the tray builder and they can sell me 1 foot high matching aluminium extrusion and the end angles and end channels for $500 deleivered. All I have to do is bolt it to the existing sides. I could go another foot in height but it would be double the price and I'm a bit reluctant as I think being too high is probably worse than too low.

Mow And Go
27-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Mine are full height and in all honesty, after having full height sides after having low/mid sides before ...id never go back

steveo
16-04-2015, 03:56 PM
This is a long shot I know. When I go round a left hand corner in the Kia K2900 after changing down gear as I am cornering the brake light comes on. Doesn't do it all the time, there is no contact with the brake pedal and it has to be at a certain speed, only comes on for a few seconds and only on left hand turns. I don't know how long its been doing it but have a feeling only recently. There is no other symptons. It has disc front and drum back and on the passenger side door it has this label that says it has a 'Load sensing proportioning valve with PSI pressures on it. Anyone heard of a load sensing proportioning valve? Would it be related to the brake system. I don't have a manual nor do I have any hope of getting one.

steveo
16-04-2015, 03:58 PM
When I say brake light I mean the one on the dash that indicates the park brake being on or a fault. I have no idea if the brake lights at the rear of the car come on, I might have to suss that out. Checked ECU and no code is displayed.

Mow And Go
16-04-2015, 04:15 PM
low on brake fluid? yes the load proportioning valve has to do with the braking, it adjusts the bias front to back and vice versa dependant on the load on the truck. give me a ring if you need a better explanation bud

troppo
16-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Mow and Go beat me to it. Check the brake fluid level. Could be that the brake pads are getting low and the calipers/brake cylinders need more fluid in them to compensate. Also, you might have a leaking rear wheel brake cylinder/s, need to pull the brake drums off to check for that.

steveo
16-04-2015, 07:00 PM
I'll check the brake fluid first. I didn't think there was a brake fluid sensor. Been meaning to check out the brake wear anyway and to replace the fluid as well. Would a leaky rear wheel brake cylinder affect braking ability?

troppo
16-04-2015, 10:09 PM
If it leaks enough, definitely yes.

Mow And Go
17-04-2015, 06:59 AM
Being a drum rear end if its leaking its most likely gonna glaze the brake shoes. Hopefully that's not the case. Hopefully its just low on fluid or needs a flush

steveo
17-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Checked it last night and it was halfway between full and empty, didn't think that would cause an issue. I've topped it up and I'll keep an eye on it. Bloody drum brakes, my old nemesis, never thought I would see em again.

steveo
21-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Looks like it was the brake fluid after all, no sign of the light after top up. Thanks guys.

Mow And Go
21-04-2015, 01:17 PM
invoice is in the mail ;) lol

steveo
21-04-2015, 01:20 PM
invoice is in the mail ;) lol

I'll send the cheque as soon as it arrives.

Mow And Go
21-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Cash only bud lol