PDA

View Full Version : Chooks and Lawn Herbicides

PaulG
02-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Can someone give me a definitive, research-based answer please. I know for Kamba-M etc it's recommended to keep dogs and cats of lawn areas until the spray has dried but what about a yard with chooks who forage the entire yard?

Please help. A substantial job depends on the right answer. :)

seliment
02-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Can someone give me a definitive, research-based answer please. I know for Kamba-M etc it's recommended to khttp://www.nufarm.com/assets/23747/1/KambaM51802160511.pdfeep dogs and cats of lawn areas until the spray has dried but what about a yard with chooks who forage the entire yard?

Please help. A substantial job depends on the right answer. :)

The Nufarm instruction sheet for Kamba-M is here

http://www.nufarm.com/assets/23747/1/KambaM51802160511.pdf

With ref to your question, it very clearly states a withholding period of 7 days.
"do not graze or cut for stockfood for 7 days"
There is no withholding period for crops to be harvested.

On that basis, I would say that letting the chooks feed on the sprayed area is a no-no.

From (my farm) experience, the issue is most likely not that it will kill the chooks (don't think it is super toxic) but will leave unacceptable pesticide residues in the eggs and meat -- which causes much problems and grief when the farmer sells the produce and it fails to meet the residue levels for human consumption or export.

So solution - lock chooks up for 7 days. Side benefit is that they will be safe from foxes for 7 days.

Joe.

PaulG
02-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks mate. I should have read the label more carefully as I have it and others printed out in a folder. Looks like I can write that job off unless the owner is prepared to lock up the chooks. It's a large residential yard but the chooks are new since the last time I sprayed so not sure about their enclosure etc.

bb1
02-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Have you checked out Grazon, if I recall from when a client got me to use it there is no with holding period

From my own scintifict experiment, I have spread my back yard with both Glypho and Kamba at various times, and our chooks are still alive and kicking, well they were 3 hours ago anyhow. I know thats not a big study group, but it does me

PaulG
02-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Anecdotal evidence is always good but I'm never sure when you read things on the MSDS like chronic effects of overexposure such as myotoxic muscular spasms, urinary incontinence and if excessive, dyspnea,
cyanosis and exhaustion. It also says not harmful to birds and spray-residue has a field half-life of 14 days so it's really hard to know.

I've never used Grazon but I'll have a read of its labels and MSDS too.

seliment
02-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I've never used Grazon but I'll have a read of its labels and MSDS too.

Paul,

To use Garlon you should (by law) hold an Ag Chem Cert.
Fairly vicious stuff as far as drift is concerned and you can easily do off target mischief.
You should check the DPI regs to see if its use is allowed in your area,

Have checked up on Brushoff and it has a nil withholding period.
I am not sure what you are trying to take out, but Brushoff will deal with many broadleaf, woody and bulbous plants (eg angled onion) and does not harm grasses.

taken from the instruction sheet:
Brush-Off
READ SAFETY DIRECTIONS BEFORE OPENING OR USING
For the control of certain brush and broadleaf species in native pastures, rights of way and commercial
and industrial areas and for the control of certain broadleaf weeds in grass pastures and pasture
renovations as per the Directions for Use.

http://www.spray-tech.com.au/labels/brushoff.pdf

If you use it it needs to have Pulse added as an adjuvant and I suggest you get a small electronic scales for measuring as rate is about 5grams in 50 litres.
Brushoff is fairly inexpensive chemical, especially for what you get from it.

Joe.

PaulG
02-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks Joe. I'm still in the process of trying to complete my Weeds and Chemicals unit at Tafe. Haven't been able to get back to finish it off. It's just a basic lawn spray for clover, bindii, and broadleaf weeds.

seliment
03-09-2014, 01:25 AM
Thanks Joe. I'm still in the process of trying to complete my Weeds and Chemicals unit at Tafe. Haven't been able to get back to finish it off. It's just a basic lawn spray for clover, bindii, and broadleaf weeds.

I would go with Brushoff + pulse.
Not sure that it will take out clover, but others yes.
Get it at any good Ag chem supplier such as Muirs, landmark, CRT, elders. Etc
I am sure you will have success.

Joe

BSD
03-09-2014, 06:51 AM
the chooks will eat any grubs and insects who come in contact with it, so do magpies etc, so the withholding period seem the go, maybe ask the local vet?