PDA

View Full Version : Turf Question

AJD Mowing
04-10-2014, 07:33 PM
I have a customer that wants new turf. I quoted Sir Walter now the customer wants a quote on Palmetto and Sapphire. There are a lot of trees so the lawn will not get a lot of sun.
My question is what is best for shady areas Sir Walter, Palmetto, Or Sapphire? I have never had anything to do with Palmetto or Sapphire.

Cheers
Dean

stephenst
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
I always use ST91 on shady areas.

head1956
04-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Sir walter is hopeless in the shade and any heavy traffic areas - have used it myself and simply don't like it..

Mow And Go
04-10-2014, 10:36 PM
look up shademaster Dean ...smiths turf deal with it. otherwise sapphire isn't too bad ...much better than sir walter

AJD Mowing
05-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys but as I have never used Sapphire or Palmetto I could not comment to the customer on what was the best but thats what the customer wants the quote on.
Anyone else used Sapphire or Palmetto?? Thoughts please :)

Mow And Go
05-10-2014, 11:59 AM
id go sapphire over palmetto or sir walter, tends to stay greener longer, doesn't go as dormant (or purple) in winter ...generally much more forgiving than sir walter.

AJD Mowing
05-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks Ben. Have you used Palmetto as well?

NLALM
05-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Dean I really don't like Palmetto, I have it in my front yard, I find it very slow to recover from wear, and it doesent like herbicides . It does however have good winter colour.It is very slow growing which isnt good for a lawnmowing contractor . I don't know about Sapphire I haven't as yet used it.

AJD Mowing
06-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Thanks NLALM
The company I use http://www.greenerlawn.com.au/ dont have Sapphire only Palmetto and Sir Walter so I will give the customer 2 options with the preferred being Sir Walter over Palmetto

GardeningSolutions
06-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Have used Kings Pride Buffalo in the past which survives on 2-3hrs sun, withstands broadleaf sprays and the leaf is very similar to Kikuyu. Good for those shaded tree areas where the Kikuyu wont grow and blends in well. Only down fall is it takes a while to recover from wear. Munns Turf supply it in South Australia. Don't know if it is available elsewhere.

Mow And Go
06-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Palmetto is a no go for me, as NLALM said, it doesn't take foot traffic well

head1956
06-10-2014, 10:48 AM
neither does sir walt..

Mow And Go
06-10-2014, 02:31 PM
In my experience, sir Walter handles it better than palmetto but in honesty I dont LIKE either, thus the fact I stated sapphire earlier.

Stripes
06-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Sapphire has a finer leaf than the rest of the buffalos. I laid it a job that cops a fair bit of wear and it is holding up pretty well.

I'm about to lay Matilda buffalo at my place. It's a dwarf so I'm hoping I can cylinder mow it. Supposed to be able to handle wear better than the rest. I have to give up om my couch as it's become too shady. I'm still not a big fan of the buffalo varieties but they do perform much better in shade than couch.

Fred's mowing
06-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Dean, sometimes you can be fighting a loosing battle trying to grow grass where it doesn't really belong.
In some areas it will survive but, never flourish leaving you disappointed.
Have you talked to your client about lawn alternatives ?
You could try, mulched areas, garden beds, paving, decking, gravel areas, various types of pebbles/rocks, etc,etc.
If they're still real keen on lawn, probably shade master & a recommendation that you thin out the trees to allow more light through, encouraging a stronger lawn.
Cheers Fred.
Ps, you could also recommend the above alternatives combined with smaller lawn areas in the sunnier spots.
Better to try & work with nature than to fight it, so to speak.
Starting to sound like a big poof!:help

AJD Mowing
06-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys for the good info (you to Fred ya big poof :wave-hi:)
The customer knows exactly what he wants just cant make up his mind, he likes Sir Walter and his wife likes Palmetto and Sapphire. There is an existing Sir Walter that is holding up ok but it looks like it has always been mowed on number 2 and there are lots of weeds so he wants a new lawn. There are some beautiful old trees giving shade for maybe 70% of the afternoon. The house is heritage listed and he wants to keep everything pretty much as it is. He is a new customer I have been mowing his neighbors yard for about 7 months. :)

irishjim
06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
They've got kakadu turf at flower power which is slow growing at very shade tolerant.ive laid some for a few clients and survives lots of shade in winter.actually I think it prefers part shade in summer too.can be mowed pretty low too and still look good but is more lime green than dark emerald healthy sir Walter can be..also agree with Fred,sometimes shady plants/groundcovers will thrive and look better than a patchy lawn...