PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Mazda BT50 3litre diesels - known issues

steveo
12-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Test drove one of these, thinking of buying it. Googled up any issues with them and there seems to be an alarming amount of references to clutch and gearbox issues. I know you only hear the bad experiences but is there cause for concern? Its a manual with about 110k on it. Anyone got one that would care to comment? Are the issues regarding clutch /gearbox in any way true? Any other issues?

steveo
12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
oh yeah its a 4x2 not 4x4.

Mow And Go
12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Clutch issue is true, very doughy and soft, at least in the 4x4

Redeye
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Ive had a mazda ute for years and its never affected my crotch, mostly doughy and soft but when necessary it....oh, clutch...carry on

Macka
12-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Clutch issue is true, very doughy and soft, at least in the 4x4

I have a 2011 ford ranger, same car different badges, newer model. I did research before i got mine and there are clutch issues, I got extended warranty :) They only go if you ride the clutch while towing heavy loads.

steveo
13-10-2014, 06:52 AM
I have a 2011 ford ranger, same car different badges, newer model. I did research before i got mine and there are clutch issues, I got extended warranty :) They only go if you ride the clutch while towing heavy loads.

Thanks Macka, did you come across any gearbox complaints?

Macka
13-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks Macka, did you come across any gearbox complaints?

nothing on the gear boxes, only the clutch, most ute's have problems with clutches, they don't put in heavy duty clutches to keep price down.

heaps here on the car great website http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=118

PS: if you unsure don't buy private, pay the extra go through a dealer and get extended warranty.

SunM
13-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I've got an '11 4x4 BT50 in July and read up about it too. Clutch in the manuals seem to go around the ~120k km mark but more if they've been worked hard, the autos on the other hard seem to be rock solid.

4 Gardens
13-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I have the 2006 bt 4x4 manual
I have 190,000 km on it
I tow my trailer 8x5 with mowing box in front , every day and have not replaced the clutch. It's all in how you drive it.....most people rev the crap out of them to take off when there is no need
It has been extremely reliable

If you go manual check out 4wd forums for how to fix low range 2 wheel drive.....a MUST for reversing as that's also when you will do the clutch
If you can't find it let me know, it's really simple and I am not a mechanic or auto electrician

steveo
13-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks heaps everyone. This one is a private sale 2wd dual cab with around 110,000 on it for around $13k mark. It's fairly lowish k's for its age, it drove ok, couldn't notice a clutch issue (but that was before i started doing some research). Was impressed with the reasonably long and wide tray on it. Not so impressed with the rear seat not folding all the way up or down. Any further advice more than welcome.

steveo
13-10-2014, 07:24 PM
one other thing I don't like is it only has the one key. How expensive is it to get another one?

steveo
14-10-2014, 08:42 AM
For any BT50 owners, a tip, do not lose your key. A new spare is $500-$600. If you lost both, its double that (need to get 2 new keys) plus the towing fee to the dealer.

steveo
01-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Anyone got the new Mazda BT50 dual cab diesel with the 3.2 5 litre donk? Mazda have a fairly attractive deal at the moment. Dealer recommended getting the heavier suspension fitted at a cost of $600. He says that the utes are now designed with soft suspension so they sell them to people who use 470nm of torque to carry a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread in the back. I can't imagine needing stiffer suspension because generally I don't carry big weights and if I do the trailer gets the burden. Claimed payload is 1371kg so take away driver and towball download it is still about 1000kg. Has anyone had the need to stiffen the suspension? Anyone in the market for a dual cab at the moment and how is your research going? I'd be interested in seeing what comes in to contention with the BT50 dual cab. I'm after the bigger engine. Navara's seem to have gone to the 2.5. Not sure about the others.

4 Gardens
01-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Hey steveo

I have a new 2013 bt50 dual cab and also the 2006

I have the standard suspension in both

I have added helper springs to both , cost about $150 a set. There are easy to install.

The reason I got them is I want the car and trailer to be level. I don't like it when the front of the trailer and back of the ute are lower , for a few reasons

My trailers are both 8x5 with mower boxes in front of this, so a bit of weight on the towball

If you want to check any if mine out let me know, I am not far from you

I love both the utes but especially the new one, it's awesome!!!

If you want to get an independant quote for a new one let me know, as both our dealers are owned by the same people. I bought mine out of town

PaulG
02-11-2014, 01:09 AM
Out of interest has anyone tried to take the dealer up on extended warranty for any problems? Do they try to cut and run if it's for commercial usage?

steveo
02-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Hey steveo

I have a new 2013 bt50 dual cab and also the 2006

I have the standard suspension in both

I have added helper springs to both , cost about $150 a set. There are easy to install.

The reason I got them is I want the car and trailer to be level. I don't like it when the front of the trailer and back of the ute are lower , for a few reasons

My trailers are both 8x5 with mower boxes in front of this, so a bit of weight on the towball

If you want to check any if mine out let me know, I am not far from you

I love both the utes but especially the new one, it's awesome!!!

If you want to get an independant quote for a new one let me know, as both our dealers are owned by the same people. I bought mine out of town

I test drove the new one yesterday, very nice to drive. Went cold on the old one but not for any reason other than the seller. The new one is hard to go past as From what I can tell the BT50 is the only 2wd cab chassis available across all the manufacturers. The 2wd is around 6grand less than the 4wd. Is yours manual or auto? Im leaning towards manual. Dealer price gives me an allowance for the tray which on the dual cab is roughly 1.8 x 1.8m. I want to see if I can get a longer tray put on it as these vehicles are huge and the standard tray seems like it could go a bit longer. I like the idea of the 5cyl over the four, I believe the more cylinders the smoother the engine and the longer the life. One concern I have is that I read, and I dunno if its true is that they have a variable flow oil pump and if you let the oil drain for longer than 10 minutes during changes the pump wont prime leading to lack of oil and engine damage. Definetaly interested in a 2nd quote, where did you get yours? Also interested in learning about helper springs as I have never heard of them. I've got an 8x5 dual axle with no mower box. Is your a single or dual axle trailer, the singles would have a bigger weight at the towball. Send me a PM if you want. Apparently this model has not received good reviews because of the styling and they will fix this in 2015 but the price is hard to go past. You had an mechanical issues or excessive wear of brakes?

steveo
02-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Out of interest has anyone tried to take the dealer up on extended warranty for any problems? Do they try to cut and run if it's for commercial usage?

I haven't but I'm a cynical bugger but I place no value on them at all. You also need to be careful with manufacturers warranty and read the fine print. The warranties are written by lawyers who leave everything open to interpratation. For example a mate of mine is having issues with a captiva diesel. The radiator hose failed, the engine overheated. The new car warranty was made void because he was late to get a service (it was a few weeks or maybe a month, not sure exactly), but guess this they do not notify you its void until you make a claim. The warranty alos cover radiator and hose failure but not engine damage caused by overheating!!!!!!!!!!! These diesels cost serious dollars to fix. Why the hell they don't put a 10cent cooler sensor is beyond me. That would help both the manufacturer and the consumer.

steveo
02-11-2014, 06:25 AM
I meant to say a coolant level sensor that indicates you are out of coolant, stop immediately. It's just crazy that they spend more money on the radio and entertainment system than a simple thing that could save you thousands of dollars.

4 Gardens
03-11-2014, 03:16 PM
I test drove the new one yesterday, very nice to drive. Went cold on the old one but not for any reason other than the seller. The new one is hard to go past as From what I can tell the BT50 is the only 2wd cab chassis available across all the manufacturers. The 2wd is around 6grand less than the 4wd. Is yours manual or auto? Im leaning towards manual. Dealer price gives me an allowance for the tray which on the dual cab is roughly 1.8 x 1.8m. I want to see if I can get a longer tray put on it as these vehicles are huge and the standard tray seems like it could go a bit longer. I like the idea of the 5cyl over the four, I believe the more cylinders the smoother the engine and the longer the life. One concern I have is that I read, and I dunno if its true is that they have a variable flow oil pump and if you let the oil drain for longer than 10 minutes during changes the pump wont prime leading to lack of oil and engine damage. Definetaly interested in a 2nd quote, where did you get yours? Also interested in learning about helper springs as I have never heard of them. I've got an 8x5 dual axle with no mower box. Is your a single or dual axle trailer, the singles would have a bigger weight at the towball. Send me a PM if you want. Apparently this model has not received good reviews because of the styling and they will fix this in 2015 but the price is hard to go past. You had an mechanical issues or excessive wear of brakes?

New bt is auto, it's great. I use sports mode when towing

My trailers, one is single and one is dual

Helper springs

http://http://www.ironman4x4.com/load-plus/ (http://www.ironman4x4.com/load-plus/)

Will send pm re dealer