PDA

View Full Version : UDS slow cooking meat

Steveo1
24-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Well seems like a slow part of the forum.

I have built meself a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker)

Cheap, easy and results you would die for.

Anyway so a couple of ball valves, a $11 previously food grade drum and and old Weber and you are in business.

Tonights sacrificial offerings...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/coastingsteve/mymeat_zpsb0f223dd.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/coastingsteve/media/mymeat_zpsb0f223dd.jpg.html)

And before and after.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/coastingsteve/beforeUDS_zps8b950cf7.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/coastingsteve/media/beforeUDS_zps8b950cf7.jpg.html)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/coastingsteve/afterUDS_zps0c134761.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/coastingsteve/media/afterUDS_zps0c134761.jpg.html)

DavidS
26-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Wow thats different, I have Choofa which is made from a old 9kg gas bottle, lid is cut off and a door opening cut in plus some breathing holes, I have two rows of holes for reo rod that holds the camp oven in the choofa or above it. Remove the camp oven and stoke up and you have great fire that does not burn the grass. I put up pics next time I fire it up.

AJD Mowing
26-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Even got a gas inlet fitted, Impressive...

I wouldn't mind seeing the inside of the unit and of course the cooked meat :)

Steveo1
26-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Even got a gas inlet fitted, Impressive...

I wouldn't mind seeing the inside of the unit and of course the cooked meat :)

The two brass fittings are ball valves to allow oxygen into the base of the fire. This gives you the control to set the temp you want. Slow cook at 90-100C or crank it to 250C for chicken wings or a roast.
I have a larger one inch ball valve on the back which I can chuck a hose onto hooked to a computer fan and PID. A cheap fully automatic temp control so I can sleep or go to the shops etc and not have to worry about the fire pit stalling or any temp spikes.

Steveo1
26-10-2014, 10:34 PM

Steveo1
26-10-2014, 10:42 PM

Redeye
27-10-2014, 06:58 AM
making me hungry and I've just had brekky lol

Mick
27-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Ive had a UDS for some time. Im on my second one actually as I made a couple of mistakes with the first, or things I should of done differently. Mine is very basic but does the job.
These vids are just Friday arvo, drinking snack type things. I'll do a full ribs (beef and or pork) at some stage.

Wings... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmmMhBw6pBw&list=UUYm5GRZ-YHkqgRFLbcdGSgQ
Lamb Ribs.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeIURKoxjw&list=UUYm5GRZ-YHkqgRFLbcdGSgQ

AJD Mowing
27-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Thats it I want one!!!

courty
27-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Great work
I have been going to make one for a while but I may have just found the right bit of kit at bunnings that with a little modification and very little dough will do what I want.

Bluey
27-10-2014, 04:38 PM
I will be making one of these methinks

Bluey
27-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Loved those 2 vids too Mick. And well done Stevo. Certainly got me interested

Bluey
27-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Mick

How did you get the lid off the drum like that mate. Tell me what the mistakes were you made. I like the bigger drum. Have you thought about a round heat diffuser to stop the outside stuff burning. Any tips you feel like giving mate I will take. Wish I had seen this over winter

brett73
27-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Wish I came across these a couple of yrs ago. I grabbed a chargrill from Bunnings, to do similar. But like this idea much more.

Mick
27-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Mick

How did you get the lid off the drum like that mate. Tell me what the mistakes were you made. I like the bigger drum. Have you thought about a round heat diffuser to stop the outside stuff burning. Any tips you feel like giving mate I will take. Wish I had seen this over winter

The first one I made I had the grill sit too close to the lid. Ive lowered the grill a few more inches on the newy.
I had 3 25mm holes around the bottom for air but found I only need one. I use the temp controller for longer cooks and doing wings etc one holes enough.
The drums I get the lid just comes off. No need for any cutting. Not all drums are the same. My last one the lid was a very tight fit, the new one just sits on there.

I bought a cheap weber copy to use the lid but unfortunately its a different size. making it fit will be a pita. If you get a drum, measure both a weber lid and the drum.

I will get a better bigger defuser at some stage. Some nice thick perforated stainless plate.

A better charcoal basket is on the list as well. Again, some perforated stainless. I'll have to get it made so will cost. Its not a high priority. It will probably be like an octagon or something. They dont really need to be round.

Hardest part of these things is the prep. I'd recommend getting the drum sand blasted. I certainly will next time.

These things can be as simple or complicated as you like. I like simple. I was going to do the ball valve thing but found I really dont need too. Simple magnets (business cards) work! A screen printer friend did the skull n cross bone one for me. Several actually. They dont last very long with the heat!

My main issue with these things is finding good charcoal without it costing the earth. Had some thats just way too broken up. That sucks!

I do recommend the temp controller. Maybe not right away as its kinda fun trying to get the temps sorted but can get frustrating if its windy etc.

Any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Steveo1
30-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Guys you want to aim for the single use foodgrade drums with the lockable lids. Like the green one in my top pick.
It's a apple cider concentrate drum for Lion Nathan. $11 - Pat the drum man off cavan rd for the Adelaide folk.
Weber lid fits straight on.

As for paint, I just cleaned it up with a sandpaper flap diac on the angle grinder then sprayed it with two cans of High temp paint.

Might fire it up again this weekend.

Bluey
30-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks Stevo. Was already going to pay Pat the Drum Man a visit. Wont the other paint cook off when it gets hot?

Mick
30-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I would certainly go for a food grade drum, for sure but you should also burn it out and wire wheel (why I would recommend sand blasting) and season really well. Sometimes they'll put a thin layer of some kind of protectant to stop rust.

I am jealous of Stevo's drum though! A ripper! Doesnt even look like a 44gal! Id be getting a few of those if I could!

Bluey, it is probably a good idea to get it back to bear metal. Kind of defeats the purpose of hi temp paint if you go over regular paint.
People use weed burners to burn the paint off. Easier to get burnt paint off. Messy, very messy but easier!

Love to see what you come up with Bluey if you go a head!

Bluey
31-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Mick thanks for that. I will definitely have a go at this. I dont think Stevo's is a 44 gal drum. Which is best. I like the idea of a 44 because I reckon it gives you more room to hang stuff and smoke it. Like whole fish and pork bell/bacon. I saw on another site the yanks can get cleanskin drums. Thats what we need. Obviously they will have a metal protector on them but that would be easy enough to get off I reckon. Certainly food for thought. By the way Mick I loved the Mick Hippy Special. Gonna make that for the missus

Steveo1
31-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Mick is spot on Bluey. The high temp paint I used was from Bummings and rated to 1000F (540C).

EDIT: Also my drum is definately a 44gal/205L drum. Just like the one in the link below.

It's all about the prep. Just like spraying a car.

These are the pics of what I did

Pat the drum man off cavan rd $11

https://www.facebook.com/211395748912121/photos/a.632061116845580.1073741827.211395748912121/745324048852619/?type=1&theater

Then I cured it by having a party and getting a raging fire going in the drum. This is what I was left with.

First I drilled all my holes and trial fitted the ball valves and cooking grills etc.
Then I hit it with a flap disc on my angle grinder (this is the hardest longest part of the build)

Then paint (you'll need two cans of the high temp exhaust stuff)
Reassemble ya bits and you're cooking.

PaulG
31-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Now to just track down one or two of those drums!

Bluey
31-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks Stevo. Yours isnt a 44 though . Is that correct

Steveo1
03-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks Stevo. Yours isnt a 44 though . Is that correct

Yeah it is a 44gal drum. Has a removable lid unlike the oil/pertol drums.

AJD Mowing
03-11-2014, 03:27 PM
I have an idea guys, do you think this will work?

1. Get a lid from a hooded BBQ (Rectangle)
2. Instead of a 44 gallon drum make a stainless steel rectangular drum so the Hooded BBQ lid fits on top
3. On the inside make provision for adjustable racks to be raised lower or higher

I like the idea of having room for more meat.
Thoughts??

cadase
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Didn't get mine from Pat the drum man, mine fell off a ship at Outer Harbour

Mick
03-11-2014, 05:26 PM

2. Instead of a 44 gallon drum make a stainless steel rectangular drum so the Hooded BBQ lid fits on top
3. On the inside make provision for adjustable racks to be raised lower or higher

Thoughts??

The thing with the UDS is its efficiency. The larger the "drum" the more fuel it will need. If you keep it to a similar size to a round drum then it would be similarly efficient. I guess!
I really do like the idea of square surfaces though and being stainless would last you a very long time.

People make smokers out of all kinds of things. Ive even seen a converted fridge and filing cabinets to name 2 on YT. A larger rectangle box would have more in common with that than a UDS.
If your going to make a rectangle box you could make the entire front of it the door.

Get on to YT and research vertical smoker.

Im not saying it wouldnt work just, its not a UDS and if your going to pretty much make the entire thing then I would look at a vertical smoker. I would! I almost bought on once from Aldi!
Lots of options, ways of doing things mate!

AJD Mowing
03-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the advice Mick I will check it out :)

AJD Mowing
03-11-2014, 06:41 PM

A few vitamins there Cadase lol
You would be glowing in the dark :)
DOH

Steveo1
03-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Thoughts??

I think the drums are popular due to the availabilty of lids and grills and the ease of making one.

I have two racks in mine, straight from webers. I cooked a 5kg lamb leg and 4kg beef brisket on one rack the other week.
I can do 5kg of chicken wings over both racks in about an hour at 250C.
So you could cook up 20kg of meat over both racks then remove it, wrap it in foil and a towel then into the esky, turn up the heat and have another 5kg of chicken wings or ABT's ready in an hour or so.

My poor BBQ has bearly been used this year.

Macka
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM

Good quality Drums

cadase
04-11-2014, 04:38 PM
There's a forum for everything
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/95411/custom-smoker-builds-pics-of-all-of-them

AJD Mowing
04-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Wow so many to choose from!! Good find mate :)

Steveo1
04-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Here you go folks. Some light reading.

http://www.lastappetite.com/cold-smoker/

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/index.php

PaulG
04-11-2014, 11:30 PM

Designed to last at least 500 years ;)

AJD Mowing
05-11-2014, 06:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiBy2eR6a6E

Mick
05-11-2014, 04:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiBy2eR6a6E

He didnt like the sanding, prep work! I dont blame him, it sucks! Like I said earlier, Sandblasting is the go!

Bluey
06-11-2014, 05:46 PM
How much do you reckon Mick to have it shot blasted

Mick
06-11-2014, 07:10 PM
How much do you reckon Mick to have it shot blasted

A friend of mine had his sandblasted. Cost him I think $25 from memory. I reckon its $25 well spent! It can take a few hours to burn out a couple times, grinding, wire wheeling, sanding, what ever to prep a drum. And its filthy work too!

I'd spend up to $50 to avoid the prep again. Numb hands, saw back, covered in cr@p! Ive done it twice now and no way I'd do it again!

PaulG
07-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Tried your Bacardi mix over the weekend Mick :)

Mick
07-11-2014, 05:46 AM
Tried your Bacardi mix over the weekend Mick :)

Not a bad drop hey! Especially after a hot, dry and dusty day out in the field!

PaulG
07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Not wrong there mate! :)

Bluey
11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Stopped by Pat the Drum Man today and had a look. He can do a heavy duty 44 gal drum with removable lid shot blasted for $40. Does the shot blasting on site. Reckon thats the way to go

PaulG
11-11-2014, 01:54 PM
That's a good deal.

courty
11-11-2014, 01:54 PM

I think I might invest in this $169 and you can get s firebox that fits on the end so you don't get direct heat. You could do a full rack and a brisket in it .

Mick
11-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Stopped by Pat the Drum Man today and had a look. He can do a heavy duty 44 gal drum with removable lid shot blasted for $40. Does the shot blasting on site. Reckon thats the way to go

I'd be all over that mate! See if he can spray some vege oil on the inside after its been blasted. It'll stop it rusting!
Then you'll just need a quick prep to paint.

Im jealous, again!

Mick
11-11-2014, 03:17 PM

I think I might invest in this $169 and you can get s firebox that fits on the end so you don't get direct heat. You could do a full rack and a brisket in it .

Get on to an aussie bbq forum and research it first. Its cheap enough to not be the end of the world if it fails but you dont want to get frustrated with it either, if you know what I mean.
At least this way you'll learn what to look for etc in future smokers.

brett73
11-11-2014, 03:25 PM

That's the one I've got, I really only use it for spit roasting and they come out un bloody believable. I haven't tried it as a slow cooker yet, there are articles out there somewhere, with modifications people have done, to better seal them, direct air certain ways etc.

courty
11-11-2014, 04:51 PM
This is what I've had in mind all along and I reckon it will need minimal mods to get it humming.
This guy is a BBQ guru , similar set up he does these video's with. this is part 2 of the brisket video . His restaurant is on my must visit list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

Mick
19-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Thoughts??

I got sent an email from Amazon with a heap of smokers. I remembered your thinking of a rectangular smoker and thought you might like this idea... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ59VTO/ref=pe_450630_127442010_em_1p_5_ti

I understand your thinking of a long, type of build but I personally really like the design on this one! I reckon if you made something similar you could make it work as both off set and semi direct heat for quick cooks like wings.
I reckon working with squares would be much easier than rounds

Anyway, just thought you might be interested!

Bluey
20-11-2014, 01:12 PM
This bloke has some good ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGvrVruXrI

troppo
20-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Am in the process of doing a complete make over of a yard. This is one of the before photos and check out what is in the backyard. That drum you can see is a stainless steel 200 litre !!!!!!! She has already checked it out on the internet and knows what it is worth unfortunately (bugger). Would be great for a slow cooker, but a bit hard to work with being stainless. It must be really top quality as it has been sitting out in the weather and not one sign of rust, not like a lot of the crap that comes out of China.8006

BSD
20-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Pop a hole in the side and tell her its worth only scrap prices, about 10-15 bucks, anyhow they're owned by the breweries not you or I.

Bluey
21-11-2014, 07:14 AM
They are worth around $700. Saw them at Pat the Drum man but thought way too expensive and like you said hard to work with

Bluey
21-11-2014, 07:25 PM
The more I look into this the more I like the concept of an offset smoker. I am going to start looking for some old propane tanks I think.

Mick
22-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Some Friday beef ribs...

Bluey
22-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Im drooling. Looks yum

AJD Mowing
23-11-2014, 12:03 PM
I got sent an email from Amazon with a heap of smokers. I remembered your thinking of a rectangular smoker and thought you might like this idea... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ59VTO/ref=pe_450630_127442010_em_1p_5_ti

I understand your thinking of a long, type of build but I personally really like the design on this one! I reckon if you made something similar you could make it work as both off set and semi direct heat for quick cooks like wings.
I reckon working with squares would be much easier than rounds

Anyway, just thought you might be interested!

Thanks Mick that looks awesome and cheap as chips!!
I think half the fun would be building one from scratch. I really want to have a go (and will) my only problem is I am so busy, have not got a free moment. I am starting to think I must be a lowballer the amount of people wanting work done. Maybe I am just a wicked man? you know "No rest for the wicked and all that stuff"

Thanks Mick :)

Mick
24-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks Mick that looks awesome and cheap as chips!!
I think half the fun would be building one from scratch. I really want to have a go (and will) my only problem is I am so busy, have not got a free moment. I am starting to think I must be a lowballer the amount of people wanting work done. Maybe I am just a wicked man? you know "No rest for the wicked and all that stuff"

Thanks Mick :)

No problem mate! Half your luck with the work, things are terrible up here! So dry now it aint funny! I'd give up a week for some rain! Frustrating when I have a reasonably full calendar on paper but know maybe a quarter actually might be done.

Here are some pics from yesterday. First attempt at a (2.5kg) boneless pork shoulder. 3hrs smoked, foil wrapped until internal temp was 201F, rested for 1hr wrapped in towels in the esky.
I screwed the temps up a bit on the UDS. Forgot to start the temp controller after the foil wrap. Took the lid off to get the fire going again and temps blew out to 330F where it pretty much stayed.
It actually worked pretty well. The total cook time was only about 5hrs.

Bluey
24-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Looking good Mick. Its half the fun screwing up a bit I reckon. only way to learn. You still got a bloody good result

Mick
24-11-2014, 04:36 PM
It did come out pretty well for a first attempt. Its sooo tender, true melt in the mouth type stuff. Using the foil was the saviour though. It would of been a dried out lump without it.
Yes, a bit to learn. I'd really like to do one that doesnt get wrapped. I'd like to try for a crusty "bark," but would be easier to dry out. Dunno! An offset would probably be best for that.
Ahhhh, its all fun n games!

AJD Mowing
24-11-2014, 07:28 PM
That looks real tasty Mick!!
Hope the rain comes soon for you mate..

edbeek
02-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Looks like you fellas are going to have to lift your game to keep up with the US lawnies. :)
But it doesn't qualify in any way as an Ugly Drum Smoker.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=5151839#post5151839

Bluey
02-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Typical Yanks. They want to smoke some chicken wings on a Friday arvo and they build this

Bluey
19-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Well the missus has been listening to me rabbit on about smokers for a while now so last night she came home and said she had found our combined Xmas present. Who am I to argue. I sort of
of get to build it. At least I can put it together

http://www.hark.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=108

Bluey
01-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Some pork and beef ribs all rubbed up and ready to go in the smoker.Plus some chicken drums. And dont give me shyte about the length of the lawn only mowed it 4 days ago.

AJD Mowing
01-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Cant wait for the after shots Bruce..

Redeye
20-05-2015, 12:22 PM
here's one for you smokers to try, the swineapple http://www.neatorama.com/2015/05/14/Swineapple-Hollowed-Out-Pineapple-Stuffed-With-Ribs-Bacon/

steveo
20-05-2015, 05:49 PM
I'll try it. Who's cooking it?

BSD
20-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Just put on 2 kilo's looking at it.

Bluey
21-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Now that looks good. Might have to try that

steveo
12-06-2015, 06:52 PM
anyone tried curing meat? I've made beef jerky many times in a food dehydrator but ultimately would like to try making my own salamis. I think in the meantime though I'd like to have a crack at Billtong as it doesn't seem as difficult. Tried some today from a local butcher and i like it very much. Anyone made billtong?

steveo
12-06-2015, 07:13 PM
From what I can tell the billtong boxes have a light (for heat) and a fan. To me this is just a form of drying. I have an area under the house that is kind of a cellar, its about 12 degrees with good airflow. Nothing ever goes mouldy down there. Found a 40 year old soft drink can one day perfectly preserved. I wonder if I can just hang it down there with no box, maybe just a light bulb near it. I'm jumping the gun here cause i don't have a recipe yet. I'm after the tried and true traditional basic recipe that has worked for hundreds of years in South Africa.

Bluey
13-06-2015, 01:52 AM
Cant give you the recipe but you have it down pat. Biltong is air dried meat. The secret is in the rub

steveo
13-06-2015, 09:29 AM
I'm thinking for starters i might put it in the same dehydrator as what I do the jerky in. I'd have to lay it down rather than hang it. Heres a link to a recipe,

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.BILTONG.HTML

steveo
17-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Have my first batch of Billtong curing. Its now been 24hrs of curing and so far so good. Had two days of solid rain now so it was a good opportunity. After a bit more reaserch Billtong is not really dehydrated, its cured which is sort of similar but not really. The meat is pretty much brined in salt and spices, then you rinse of the salt and roll it in spices and then dry it. Billtong requires pretty much room temp and low humidity. i couldn't get the temp low enough in the dehydrator so built my own billtong box from two milkcrates wrapped in gladwrap. The bottom crate has a 100x incandescent light globe. i also sat it on a homebrew heat pad for extra warmth. Air flow (upwards) is created from a few holes in the cling wrap around the base of the bottom crate and holes on the roof of the top crate. The billtong hangs from the roof of the top crate. Air temp is around 19c. I'd like it a bit higher but the slow drying means it will be more tender. I'm pretty wrapped with the design of the box, it's very simple and very cheap. If anyone is interested in knowing more let me know. This should be an excellent snack for work. Don't need a fridge, just stick it in your pocket.

steveo
21-06-2015, 03:28 PM
well it tastes like ****e. Too salty and too peppery. Back to the drawing board.

BSD
21-06-2015, 03:52 PM
I've used 'Skirt Steak' (butcher may have to order it in), soak in malt vinegar with a little rock salt sprinkled over, leave for about 8 hrs and drain then wipe off excess salt, rub in whatever spices you want, it dries in a day or 2, just cover it with some hand towel or a cake cover thing to let air go through it or just put a fan in front, no need for the heat lamp. That's recipie is from a pub mate from Sth Africa. He calls it beef jerky.
Go easy on the salt as you'll find out when you eat it, its tastes too salty, trial and error.

courty
08-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Headed to the Bangalow BBQ & Bluegrass Festival today, currently sitting on the lounge in a meat coma.
Had way to much awesome brisket and ribs along with some fine ales and great music. If your in the area next year be sure to check it out, was a great day.

steveo
08-08-2015, 07:59 PM
I've used 'Skirt Steak' (butcher may have to order it in), soak in malt vinegar with a little rock salt sprinkled over, leave for about 8 hrs and drain then wipe off excess salt, rub in whatever spices you want, it dries in a day or 2, just cover it with some hand towel or a cake cover thing to let air go through it or just put a fan in front, no need for the heat lamp. That's recipie is from a pub mate from Sth Africa. He calls it beef jerky.
Go easy on the salt as you'll find out when you eat it, its tastes too salty, trial and error.

My second attempt was better.

BSD
08-08-2015, 09:10 PM
And the more you try the better it gets, I reckon you'll have your own flavoursome meat in a couple of goes. Damm fine with a few beers.