PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Frosted Palms

edbeek
06-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Just after winter I quoted on cleaning up an overgrown rental property. Major hedge reduction, pruning, weeding etc. There were about 10 miniature palms that had been frost affected, so I specifically left them out of the quote as I didn't want to be responsible if they died.

Anyway after 3 months I got the job and now they want me to quote to tidy up the palms as well. It's still very dry here and the renters have zero care for the gardens and haven't been watering anything.

Any thoughts on if it would be safe to cut off all of the dead fronds? There wont be many green ones left.

7982 7983

PaulG
07-11-2014, 12:15 AM
As long as there's an active growing tip and new growth coming through they'll be okay Ed. Going to look a lot different when they're done.

edbeek
07-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Thanks Paul. Yes they are going to look pretty ugly. I think the owners have had a look now, so they should realise that they aren't very healthy.

Mick
07-11-2014, 06:54 AM
The fronds are dead already and wont come back, cutting them off wont kill the plant.

Take everything off except the tips!

Just let them know you take no responsibility for if they actually do die. Get in an email there acknowledgement of that fact!

If they do die, there dead already, just dont know it yet! ha

They need a heap of water and some feed!

Golden canes are pretty tough plants. With a bit of care they might come back or at least some of it might. They look pretty crook though so might take some time!

edbeek
07-11-2014, 04:41 PM
I tidied them up today and they look much better than I expected. Tenants have been told to splash a bit of water around.
7986 7987

Mick
07-11-2014, 05:09 PM
They'll be fine mate! Just need a heap of water!

I was getting rid of one for a customer once. It was in a cool clay pot and I wanted to keep the pot. The plant was struggling, root bound and stunted. It looked cr@p.
I cut it back like you have with those small ones and stuck it in the ground. I looked at it today and some of the "trunks" are like 3m tall.
Took a long while to get there but it was neglected as well. Planted and left to fend for itself amongst other gingers n stuff.

troppo
07-11-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm with Mick - they'll be OK. Although in my opinion, the best Golden Cane is a dead one!!!!!! Way too messy for my likings, if you don't constantly tidy them up to keep 'em looking good.

courty
07-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Poison em I say :)

edbeek
07-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Poison em I say :)

I agree. Any Palms. If they are more than 50 metres from a deserted beach.. they should be declared noxious :)