PDA

View Full Version : Large Conifers dying in hedge Help!

SM MOWING
11-11-2014, 12:15 AM
I have a client with a large hedge surrounding their house made up of about 40 two metre high conifers. So its a prominent fixture of there garden.

Three conifers in a row have died completely, some other plants have dead branches here and there.

I pulled one of the dead branches off and inside was a 3-4mm perfectly drilled hole in the centre.

Looks like some kind of borer.

Thoughts and how do I treat to stop the other trees around it dying!

PaulG
11-11-2014, 02:14 AM
If it's borers, they attack trees that are under stress. Damage to limbs can then lead to Conifer Canker, a disease which is harder to recover from if the tree has declined too far. The spores of the canker fungus can transfer from tree to tree via rain splash, birds etc. Much more common when trees are planted in a hedge as these are. I read once that if the foliage is a rusty brown colour and not completely dead yet you can spray with something with teh active ingredient being phosphorus acid or copper oxychloride or inject for larger plants that can't be completely sprayed. The underlying cause though of all this is stress to the plants from lack of water and/or nutrients which will need to be rectified first. Don't treat while plants are still under stress. Good luck with it. Interested to see how it turns out.

imoww
11-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Ive been told if he holes are straight through the tree and come out the other side ( with what looks like dried up sawdust) then its a borer.
I too have clients conifers dying. one in particular has 2 different types of conifer . (Book leaf and the standard)

Fred's mowing
11-11-2014, 04:27 PM
If it's borers, they attack trees that are under stress. Damage to limbs can then lead to Conifer Canker, a disease which is harder to recover from if the tree has declined too far. The spores of the canker fungus can transfer from tree to tree via rain splash, birds etc. Much more common when trees are planted in a hedge as these are. I read once that if the foliage is a rusty brown colour and not completely dead yet you can spray with something with teh active ingredient being phosphorus acid or copper oxychloride or inject for larger plants that can't be completely sprayed. The underlying cause though of all this is stress to the plants from lack of water and/or nutrients which will need to be rectified first. Don't treat while plants are still under stress. Good luck with it. Interested to see how it turns out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

This is your complete answer ...................................... That is all !!!!
Cheers Fred.

brodie
11-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Sounds like cypress canker. If it is it really needs to be treated properly and quickly. The canker will move quickly if not treated. I'll be treating a cypress canker next week, luckily we caught it early in this hedge.

imoww
11-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know why some conifer hedges have large gaping holes in them?

brodie
11-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know why some conifer hedges have large gaping holes in them?

It could be for a number of reasons. Any pictures you could get would help identify the issue

SM MOWING
11-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for your help everyone!

What fertiliser would one recommend for conifers?

Scooby Steve
12-11-2014, 06:47 PM

I second Fred's response great post Paul.

Wyadra
13-11-2014, 03:06 PM
There are a lot of tree companies who offer treatment for cypress canker. It's a rort, treatment is a waste of money. Read the Italian study...

http://cupressus.ipp.cnr.it/cypfire/files/Cap_17_Cypres_Canker.pdf

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/agriculture-and-food/pests-diseases-and-weeds/plant-diseases/shrubs-and-trees/cypress-decline

bb1
13-11-2014, 07:30 PM
There is anorther cause of perfectly drilled holes in tree's, its a thing called grumpy neighbour syndrome, can sometimes be extremely difficult to rectify

Fred's mowing
13-11-2014, 09:07 PM
I have a client that I recently trimmed her cypress hedge.
I noticed that at the base of one trees, a syringe sticking out.
I questioned her about this & she told me an arborist had treated that particular one for cypress canker.
She said that the treatment was successful, & yes, the hedge looked to be in good health.
Sorry I can't post the pic I took as the Samsung phone & the Apple mac don't seem to be getting it on.
I'll get my daughter to help & try & post it tomorrow.
Sorry, Im just a technology challenged old coot:o
Cheers Fred.

Scooby Steve
14-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Sorry, Im just a technology challenged old coot:o
Cheers Fred.

You are not on your own Fred, i'm rowing in the same boat.

Fred's mowing
15-11-2014, 11:51 AM
The tree on the far left of the hedge was the one that was treated.
This was a Leightons green.
All conifers can suffer from cyress canker but, from my experience Monterey cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa)seems to be the most susceptible.
Im considering pulling out (part of or all) of our own Monterey cypress hedge that I planted 15yrs ago.
It is badly infected with Cypress canker.
Many growers are now shying away from Monterey cypress because of this.
Even if you replace infected plants, there's still a fair chance of re infection.
Nothing worse than loosing a plant in an established hedge, particularly when its a feature of the property.
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
15-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Ooops, sorry, pic is sideways x2 & pic of hedge isn't there :dean:
I'll have another crack later.
Cheers Fred.

Fred's mowing
15-11-2014, 12:11 PM
All fixed now......... I think :confused:
Cheers Fred.

DavidS
15-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Works for me Fred, most trees with canker have died on me and I have had to cut them out. As you say the Monterey is more subseptible to canker. I stopped planting confier hedges out in Temora as I reckoned that the heat out here stressed them to much and then they just up and died, even with a watering system setup.

Fred's mowing
19-11-2014, 05:45 PM
So, what ya gunna do SM ?
Cheers Fred.