PDA

View Full Version : air compressors

grasshopping
31-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Good morning everyone, we are in search of a good air compressor. Anyone have a good brand they can recommend. Would certainly make it easier to undo the bolts on the Honda blade carrier. Hope you all have a safe new year.

Kathryn
Grasshopper Mowing Services

seliment
31-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Can't give any brand recommendation, but suggest you go for at least 8cfm (240 lpm?) capacity with as largest possible airtank. This gives you some reserve if you wish to do some more 'powerful things' or work for an extended time.
Spraypainting also can use quite a bit of air - do don't want to have to stop for compressor to catch up.
Some of the airtools can consume close to 8cfm when run 'continuously' and an air blowgun (good for cleaning down chainsaw etc) uses a surprisingly large amount of air when you bump up the psi.
I would avoid the 'rotary' compressors - stick with reciprocating one that has cylinders/pistons - my pref.

Joe

PaulG
31-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Yep. As big as you can afford over 8cfm at least. Mine is 14cfm with a big tank and it's pumping regularly when using air-blowguns, pumping tyres etc.

Macka
31-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Good morning everyone, we are in search of a good air compressor. Anyone have a good brand they can recommend. Would certainly make it easier to undo the bolts on the Honda blade carrier. Hope you all have a safe new year.

Kathryn

AutoBarn have cheap one's that work ok, but get at least one up from there smallest size, https://www.autobarn.com.au/powerbase-2-5hp-40lt-air-compressor-pb-02540

Also, I got a Gasweld have Impact Wrench http://www.gasweld.com.au/534367-toolex

Auto barn have same different name, https://www.autobarn.com.au/scorpion-impact-wrench-kit-1-2-sx-220k

get a cheap air tool kit to suit and your away

Bet things i have brought, need a retractable hose next and life would be complete

EVAN86
31-12-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.bunnings.com.au/full-boar-3hp-50l-air-compressor-v-drive_p6290394

Bought one of these last week. happy with it so far.

sterlo
01-01-2015, 08:20 AM
If its just for bladechanging why not get a12v impact driver? Carry it with you wherever you go. Can even change the car tyre :-)

yard mates
02-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Agree on the impact driver, I have a AEG 18v 1/2" drive impact driver. Best tool ever. Makes working on the car so much easier. I purchased it to do a clutch change on the wife's Jeep, made the job easy as, mud covered 21mm bolts are no problems for this.

http://aegpowertools.com.au/18v-1-2-impact-wrench

I've also a 50l compressor that I purchased after watching a pro spray painter using one to do weekend spray jobs. Its near silent, so no issues with noise and its "just" big enough to do whatever I've thrown at it. Mostly driving air tools or spray painting. That said, nowadays I get more use out of the 18v tools rather than the air driven ones.

https://sydneytools.com.au/chicago-hush50-aluminium-silenced-50l-air-compressor

steveo
02-01-2015, 08:52 AM
I have the aldis one 240v one, comes in handy, haven't used it for painting yet. Most handy for cleaning dust off parts and filters, inflating tyres etc. Need to watch out when using rattle gun on blade carriers as it can round the blade carrier half circle hole when to much force is applied. Guess it comes down to getting used to what it can and can't be used for and using it correctly.

Chris B
29-01-2015, 06:55 PM
bought one of these a few months ago to replace the supercheap auto branded 2.5hp hi flow model.... 10x better
on sale again for $399 with a 2 year warranty

NLALM
30-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah the belt drives are much better than the small direct drive units. And that's a good price. If you only want a compressor to change blades , I would get an 18 volt rattle gun, other guys have them , and I spent my Christmas Bunnings gift cards on one, its the green Ryobi unit as I have some of their tools so have the batteries to suit. I was a little skeptical as to weather it would be as good as the air compressor, and well it is. I can change blades in a couple of minutes, and as other guys do I take a spare blade carrier fitted with new blades in the ute , so I can change over in the field, in minutes. A worthwhile tool

grasshopping
01-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Seriously frustrated now. Bought a 18v implies impact wrench and the stupid nut that holds the blade carrier on won't undo. Sprayed heaps of wd40 on to. Why does the stupid nut get soo stuck all the time. Trying to avoid getting it off without those damn pins snapping.

Kathryn

brett73
02-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Try tightening the bolt, then try undo it again.

troppo
02-02-2015, 04:11 PM
WD40 is a water dispersant, not a penetrating fluid. (thats what the WD stands for) Try something like Inox for a start. Lanox is a great allrounder (combination of lanoline and inox) Anyhow, when you do get it off put heaps of grease on the thread before you put it back on.

seliment
02-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Seriously frustrated now. Bought a 18v implies impact wrench and the stupid nut that holds the blade carrier on won't undo. Sprayed heaps of wd40 on to.........

Kathryn

Is the bolt a 'left hand thread'?
in which case your attempts to undo it are really tightening it.
Try it in the other direction .... I have bee caught out by LH threads too.

Joe

Macka
02-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Seriously frustrated now. Bought a 18v implies impact wrench and the stupid nut that holds the blade carrier on won't undo. Sprayed heaps of wd40 on to. Why does the stupid nut get soo stuck all the time. Trying to avoid getting it off without those damn pins snapping.

Kathryn

sound like the Loctite is to strong, i used some strong stuff and never again thought i was gunna shear the bolt.

Loctite comes in many different strengths , don't use the strong stuff its not made to be taken off regularly and also only put 1 drop on the thread.

Loctite 243 should be fine and will undo with a hand tool

NLALM
02-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Na they are not left handed threads, sounds like you don't change blades very often , because it should come off easily, you don't need Loctite on it. When you get it off put a bit of grease or never seize on the thread, and don't over tighten it when you put it back on

troppo
02-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Should't have to use Loctite as the rotation of the disc works in the opposite direction to the thread on the bolt, which is right hand by the way. To get the really strong loctite to let go, you have to heat up the area with an oxy sometimes - definitely the last thing you would want to do to a crankshaft. Using grease on the thread also lets you tighten up a bolt more as there is no bind between the two thread surfaces. Must be something amiss in your situation there Kathryn, as I just hold the disk with a pair of multi-grips, ring spanner on the bolt and have been doing so for ages - never a problem and mostly between jobs, not at home.