PDA

View Full Version : The step up from lawn tractor to ZTR

steveo
26-02-2015, 07:31 PM
I can pretty much use the cox 32" on all my lawns if access allows.

I know the cox won't last that much longer the way things are going so would like to plan to buy a commercial ZTR and leave the cox as backup or for tighter access.

Here is the catch though. Just spend a fair bit of money putting a tool box on my 6x4 trailer because it is a better match for the cox.

I have my 8x5 Tandem for sale and have had an offer. I need to decide wether to accept that offer but don't want to snooker myself by limiting the size of the ztr that will fit on the 6x4.

What are peoples thoughts. I think 42 inch is too big at this stage, I'm leaning towards 36inch as max. Don't think the walker would fit length wise and even the hustler commercial 36inch is pushing it. I'd have to leave the tailgate partially down. What size deck would you say is the next logical progression?

Sell the tandem trailer or keep it? I paid $3400 for the 8x5 last year and have had an offer of $2200, I reckon I could get $2400 for it. What would you do?

steveo
26-02-2015, 07:32 PM
I meant to say 'I just spent a fair bit of money putting a tool box on my 6x4 trailer'.

steveo
26-02-2015, 07:50 PM
or to put the question another way what commercial ztr's will fit on a 6x4. Sorry for the triple post just trying to get my post count higher.

Macka
26-02-2015, 07:59 PM
I meant to say 'I just spent a fair bit of money putting a tool box on my 6x4 trailer'.

I have a 42" and its to bloody big for res' lawns, the gates are the key, Im thinking a Gravely ZT 34" or the Dixon 30" or a TORO GrandStand 36" if the come to Australia

why wouldn't you get the Dixon SpeedZTR 30" and not have to change the trailer ?

Redeye
26-02-2015, 08:18 PM
the only one I'd consider is the gravely compact pro (34") but its $7500+, and won't quite fit on a 6x4 - but neither will any other ztr ......no way I'd have that sort of investment held by a partially open tail gate. If (big if) I ever get one, I'll be modifying the front of my trailer to suit.

steveo
26-02-2015, 08:18 PM
why wouldn't you get the Dixon SpeedZTR 30" and not have to change the trailer ?

Is it commercial quality? The other thing important to me is a comfy ride. I find the cox sprung seat can start to stuff me back on bumpy ground after a few hours on it. I'm all for not changing trailer if possible.

steveo
26-02-2015, 08:33 PM
the only one I'd consider is the gravely compact pro (34") but its $7500+, and won't quite fit on a 6x4 - but neither will any other ztr ......no way I'd have that sort of investment held by a partially open tail gate. If (big if) I ever get one, I'll be modifying the front of my trailer to suit.

I'm not limiting myself to a price, needs to be good quality. Actually now that I think of it the front tailgate drops as well but that is where the SP sits and a partially opened front tail gate is possibly worse and your right no point investing that much and skimping on the trailer. The gravely compact pro 34" is a smidge under 6foot long but the way I have my ramps bolted on may be an issue. What do you like about those machines redeye? Also would you consider another tractor before a ZTR? I haven't looked at the possibility of another tractor. Wa sjust thinking a ZTr adds flexibility.

steveo
26-02-2015, 08:37 PM
But back on topic should I sell the 8x5. Don't really have the need for it right now BUT you can never friggen find one when you want one. Toss of the coin.

imoww
26-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Theres another post on this. The Dixon 30 inch is now the cheaply made Husquvana which has been pulled off the market due to poorly made. Allot of issues.
comes down to The Gravley ZTR 34 inch or the Toro 32 inch
I got the Gravley. and it fits well with lots of room for ladders etc inside my 7X4 trailer. Im pretty sure it would fit in the 6X4 trailer too

imoww
26-02-2015, 08:47 PM
heres the 2 mowers.... 8134
Theres another post on this. The Dixon 30 inch is now the cheaply made Husquvana which has been pulled off the market due to poorly made. Allot of issues.
comes down to The Gravley ZTR 34 inch or the Toro 32 inch
I got the Gravley. and it fits well with lots of room for ladders etc inside my 7X4 trailer. Im pretty sure it would fit in the 6X4 trailer too

steveo
26-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Never considered Huskies and won't. how do you find the cut quality of the gravely? Don't think the Toro would fit, its a smidge over 6ft. Would prefer Kwaka engine anyway. Yeah probably lots of other info on other threads but really it comes down to what can fit on a 6x4 that is true commercial quality. What's the ride like on the gravely Immow. I' have often thought it wouldn't be too difficult to retrofit a sprung saddle with hydralic type shock absorbers but maybe not that straight forward.

steveo
26-02-2015, 08:58 PM
There very obviously different mate, one is orange and one is blue.

imoww
26-02-2015, 09:54 PM
The Gravley is very comfortable . I feel like a slob laying back in the chair when mowing.I had a higher seat put on when i purchased it. im 6'4" tall.
The commercial grade Gravley is the Compact pro.
As for the cut, its great. as with allot of 2 blade ztr's, there is a small amount of grass clippings left in the middle of what youve mowed. but cut is good.

imoww
26-02-2015, 09:55 PM
yeah. i think Husky photoshopped the image and changed the paint colour with a badge...
There very obviously different mate, one is orange and one is blue.

steveo
26-02-2015, 10:24 PM
The Gravley is very comfortable . I feel like a slob laying back in the chair when mowing.I had a higher seat put on when i purchased it. im 6'4" tall.
The commercial grade Gravley is the Compact pro.
As for the cut, its great. as with allot of 2 blade ztr's, there is a small amount of grass clippings left in the middle of what youve mowed. but cut is good.

Thanks for that. Good to know there are options out there for a 6x4.

Redeye
27-02-2015, 01:28 PM
I've done a LOT of googling into ztr's under 36", basically the compact pro is the only commercial one that I could make fit on my 6x4 (actually, I think the dixie chopper silver eagle 34" was another option from memory, similar price)

steveo
28-02-2015, 03:33 PM
I've done a LOT of googling into ztr's under 36", basically the compact pro is the only commercial one that I could make fit on my 6x4 (actually, I think the dixie chopper silver eagle 34" was another option from memory, similar price)

Coudn't see a 34" silver eagle on their website. Turns out the trailer deal fell thru, the bloke (and I) haggled and got within $50 of an agreed price. He said he'd direct deposit as soon as I agreed to his offer. I said I'd drop the $50 but only for cash. He says no, his gone over budget already and didn't have the cash, all the while indicating he needed it for a job he was doing. Being a tradie I thought this was really weird. If you are going to do a transfer you have the cash, you just need to withdraw it. Bloody strange. At least he didn't try and sell me any police magazine advertising.

steveo
28-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I thought the accepted method for buying the more expensive items was either cash or bank cheque. Obviously cash has its own risks, but it has the advantage of the transaction being completed quickly. I get the cash he gets the trailer, handshake and see ya later. The $50 he saved on the sale would have covered the trip to the ATM or bank or whatever.

steveo
28-02-2015, 04:12 PM

the specs say
width 35.4 inch (without chute)
length 71.5 inch

Have you noticed a price increase since the aussie dollar dipped redeye? Saw them for roughly 8.5k on the web somewhere.

jal2007
28-02-2015, 05:38 PM
picked up the v ride last friday..still getting used to with the awkward control.

troppo
28-02-2015, 06:37 PM
When I was starting out I was chasing a 7x4 trailer so the whippys would fit lengthwise. Something newbies should be aware of for many reasons after reading this thread. Ended up picking one up from the buyback shop at the tip for $90. A bit of rust, but nothing major, just looked a real mess, even the lights worked!!!!! Has a form ply floor which will never rust out too.

Macka
28-02-2015, 07:40 PM
picked up the v ride last friday..still getting used to with the awkward control.

very interested in the scag standup, would like more info, where did you buy it ?

Redeye
28-02-2015, 08:28 PM

very nice!! very green with envy lol

jal2007
03-03-2015, 05:31 PM
very interested in the scag standup, would like more info, where did you buy it ?

Hi macka,

i picked it up from International mower but all the invoice and payment to STIHL Frankston

steveo
23-03-2015, 08:08 PM
At the sthil shop today and had a browse at the greenfield lawn tractor 30hp briggs and stratton vtwin, anyone got one and care to post a review. I liked the look of it, very solidly built. No hydrostatic axle though. Looked a bit more complicated than the cox, more pulleys and chains.

hjl
25-03-2015, 04:50 PM
So stand on mowers are here in Australia. I thought they were an urban myth.
Cheers
hjl

hjl
25-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Hi steveo
Suggestion time. Sell both trailers and buy a 8x5 tilt trailer. Your current 8x5 is not a tilt from what you have said. Tilt trailers are the way to go with ride ons. No more ramps needed. Best thing I have bought in a long time. If you had the 8x5 tilt then you could buy whatever 42 inch ride on you like.
Cheers
hjl

steveo
25-03-2015, 07:52 PM
just sold my 8x5. Will stick with the 6x4 for a while until i need a bigger mower at least. Just spent a couple of grand on a toolbox for the 6x4 too. Will keep it mind though. Can tilt trailers have toolboxes on the side or are they dedicated mower only trailers?

Impstar
25-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Will a 36" Walker fit with the deck up? The local 'Jim' up my way has two Walkers that he carts in that fashion.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
25-03-2015, 11:39 PM
very nice Jal. will they be able to service it in franga?

jal2007
26-03-2015, 03:37 PM
thanks glenn...yeah they should be able to service it since they get the access to get all the parts from international mowers.
When I picked it up, I saw there were few scag ZTR been serviced

steveo
19-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Anyone got a F50XT1936 Zero Turn Ferris or would there be a review on them somewhere?

Redeye
19-06-2015, 08:14 PM
was one of the 3 I narrowed the search down to.....

steveo
20-06-2015, 08:45 AM
was one of the 3 I narrowed the search down to.....

So what was the other one you looked at before choosing the compact pro? Be interested in your thoughts on the ferris? I haven't seen one, just saw the brochure.

It's cheaper than the gravely, kwaka v twin, fabricated deck. Ticks a few boxes.

Redeye
20-06-2015, 10:48 AM
graden suburban 36 - it ticked all the boxes but seems to be little support in NSW, around here anyway...ferris seem to get mixed reviews, not sure if their quality has changed since being bought out by briggs & stratton. Only other I considered was the hustler 36", but very exxy for a more home-owner targeted machine. Both have 10 g decks.
Finally went with the grav as it is built as a true commercial machine, 7 gauge deck (solid as a tank!) and the 34" cut will give a better cut on smaller resi lawns that aren't as flat as a bowling green (IMO)

steveo
20-06-2015, 11:37 AM
did you suss out the walkers with a 36" deck?

steveo
20-06-2015, 11:40 AM
sorry meant 38" Like this one http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canberra-region/heavy-farming-agriculture-equipment/walker-ride-on-mower-23hp-zero-turn-petrol-powered/1081421309

EVAN86
21-06-2015, 06:32 AM
Anyone got a F50XT1936 Zero Turn Ferris or would there be a review on them somewhere?
I purchased a new F50x shortly before selling my business, so only got to use it for less than 20 hours. In the short time I had it I found it to be a very strong constructed unit that would be hard for even an offsider to break. The one major issue I had was the deck design. The blades are mounted high inside the deck causing the front of the deck to push over long or spindly grass instead of cutting it. The 48 inch version has a cut away in the deck fixing this problem. With the narrow rear tyres I found the machine to be rough to ride a top speed on uneven ground.

The contractor who purchased the mower off me has now had it for 18 months and cannot fault it mechanically. The deck belt can be changed by hand without tools.

steveo
21-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the review.

Macka
21-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Stevo, I asked a dealer about clogging of grass on the F50XT1936, dealer said there not good leave clumps in the wet, Advised me to go for the newer deck with the iCD™ Cutting System.

EVAN86
21-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Stevo, I asked a dealer about clogging of grass on the F50XT1936, dealer said there not good leave clumps in the wet, Advised me to go for the newer deck with the iCD™ Cutting System.
In my opinion the best mid mounted 36 -42 inch deck design would have to be the bobcat mower deck. Have personally demoed there machines and was very impressed with how well they cut. There machines are quite expensive tho. For a similar price I have recently purchased a Toro grandstand.

steveo
26-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Anyone know anything about the Dixon speed ZTR 36. From what I can tell they are not made anymore but appear to have a stronger deck than the later ones. Are they worth looking at 2nd hand. I know they are not commercial quality, but just wondering.

m287j
26-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Anyone know anything about the Dixon speed ZTR 36. From what I can tell they are not made anymore but appear to have a stronger deck than the later ones. Are they worth looking at 2nd hand. I know they are not commercial quality, but just wondering.

Good machines, I have the 30inch model. The new models are crap quality but the model you are referring to is a much stronger machine, sort of half way between domestic and commercial, good motors too. Mine has over 1,000 hours and still in good condition. Worth looking for a second hand unit that's been looked after.

steveo
27-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Thanks Matt, what year roughly did they introduce the new design?

imoww
27-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Totally agree with Matt.
If Dixon didnt become Husky.... I'd be riding around on one.
I had the 1984 Dixon zero turn 30 inch... It was strong as an ox. Never even serviced it.Now that's saying something....
I think Dixon went to Husky with the cheapy in 2013 Im probably wrong tho

Good machines, I have the 30inch model. The new models are crap quality but the model you are referring to is a much stronger machine, sort of half way between domestic and commercial, good motors too. Mine has over 1,000 hours and still in good condition. Worth looking for a second hand unit that's been looked after.

m287j
28-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Thanks Matt, what year roughly did they introduce the new design?

2012/13 or so I believe as mine is a 2010/11 model from memory.

steveo
29-06-2015, 08:38 PM
what would you pay roughly for a 2006 model dixon 36 that has been remotored 200hrs ago? What is the life span of the hydros? Anything else other than the motor and deck that could be troublesome?

m287j
29-06-2015, 10:40 PM
2006 model ? That's 9 years old, wouldn't be paying anything over $1,500 for something like that. No real idea what the lifespan of the hydro's are, I've heard rumours of 2,000 to 2,500 hours, mines done 1,100 and no signs yet of any dramas.
Just check the deck condition and make sure none of the belt pulleys are bent.

steveo
02-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Spoke to a Toro dealer yesterday. The Toro Timecutter MX 34 ztr is available now. It ticks a few boxes however only a single cylinder 452cc Toro engine. Deck is twin blade fabricated 10 gauge. Around 6.5k for the 34. The 42 goes to a vtwin toro 708cc, twin blade for 7.5k. I got excited thinking the 34 came with a vtwin but then read the brochure properly and its only a single.

Redeye
02-07-2015, 01:37 PM
see if there is a dealer for these http://www.graden.com.au/suburban.htm I was quoted $6990 for the 36 - seem like a fully commercial machine to me and will fit in a 6x4 trailer

steveo
02-07-2015, 02:45 PM
there is a graden dealer here, just gave him a call. He doesn't keep them in the stock but can get them. He sells more of the Ariens he reckons (which I'll also look at). Same price as what you were quoted, 42 inch is an extra grand or so. Interesting they run a disc and swing back blade setup. Bar blades are an option. Going to be an issue if I can't test ride it first. It's in the mix. Aussie made too.

steveo
02-07-2015, 03:12 PM
The ariens 36 is a stamped deck but does have a vtwin briggs. The ariens Zoom xl 42 is a pretty decent price. Around 6.1k for a vtwin kohler 20hp, 10 gauge deck and would fit easily. I've not read anything about Ariens and very little about Gradens on this forum.

South East Mowing
02-07-2015, 05:55 PM
The ariens 36 is a stamped deck but does have a vtwin briggs. The ariens Zoom xl 42 is a pretty decent price. Around 6.1k for a vtwin kohler 20hp, 10 gauge deck and would fit easily. I've not read anything about Ariens and very little about Gradens on this forum.

I've been told the newer gardens are not what they used to be. Don't know what but like some improvements made to things that engineers make but clients hate. Check them out carefully- see what sort of backup service there is

imoww
02-07-2015, 07:51 PM
The ariens is the Gravley....they changed the name. There was a post on the Gradens a while back too. They reckon Graden isnt the same as it was. Made cheaply now.

imoww
02-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Do a search on graden in the posts...
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?12815-any-Graden-users-here&highlight=graden
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?12631-Graden-mowers&highlight=graden

djkgrounds
02-07-2015, 08:22 PM
This is the Toro I have been eyeing off. Solid built with the V-Twin Toro Motor. I think it was about $6k
http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/mowers/zero-turn-mowers/pages/model.aspx?pid=timecutter-sw4200-74784

Mow And Go
02-07-2015, 08:58 PM
fark graden. end topic lol

steveo
02-07-2015, 10:40 PM
This is the Toro I have been eyeing off. Solid built with the V-Twin Toro Motor. I think it was about $6k
http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/mowers/zero-turn-mowers/pages/model.aspx?pid=timecutter-sw4200-74784

I saw that too, shame its got a pressed deck. I think the next deck size up is welded. What's the go with those, why are they touted as having better hill stability? Doesn't say anywhere its got front whell steering or even locking front wheels so what makes them more stable?

steveo
02-07-2015, 10:41 PM
fark graden. end topic lol

Hey mate, what's the go? Send me an email if you like.

djkgrounds
03-07-2015, 08:33 PM
I saw that too, shame its got a pressed deck. I think the next deck size up is welded. What's the go with those, why are they touted as having better hill stability? Doesn't say anywhere its got front whell steering or even locking front wheels so what makes them more stable?

Yeah the pressed deck is a shame, The low centre of gravity allows up to almost 40deg slope they say but on average about 30-35 deg slope is the safe limit.

I like the idea of a steering wheel for a ZT as I have a few jobs where trees and shrubs are in the way, easier to maneuver through them with one hand on the wheel the other moving branches

steveo
04-07-2015, 09:46 AM
The ariens is the Gravley....they changed the name. There was a post on the Gradens a while back too. They reckon Graden isnt the same as it was. Made cheaply now.

Ariens and Gravely are two different mowers, but they are both owned by the Ariens company. Ariens also owns Bynorm and Stens. So much for Bynorm being australian although hopefully there is still some manufacturing here. Ariens have just announced they distribute through Allpower rather than thru the dealers. The parts supply chain (bynorm & stens) stays the same.

http://www.ariensco.com/Company/News?post=2015/04/28/Ariens-Company-Assigns-Australian-Distribution-of-Ariens-Gravely-Equipment-Brands-to-Allpower-Industries
http://allpower.com.au/feel-the-power/

steveo
04-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Hey redeye, did you say you paid round the 8.5k mark for the compact pro? allpower have it listed for 9.5k now. I wish I could increase my rates like that. Surely the exchange rate hasn't dropped that much.

http://allpower.com.au/product-category/gravely/

jal2007
04-07-2015, 10:09 AM
bought gravely APV vacuum last week.

the dealer told me the hose kit used to sell for $140 last year...since allpower took over gravely..hose kit increased to $560..3x increased..

steveo
04-07-2015, 12:30 PM
The american business model. Buy the competition and triple the rates.

Redeye
04-07-2015, 01:07 PM
yeah $8.5, was quoted 7.5 last summer...should've got it then

imoww
04-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Thats weird.
When i was buying the Gravley, i asked to look at the Ariens. They said the Gravley has replaced the Ariens now.
They also said Ariens had a few issues with the older products. Upgraded to Gravley now...

Ariens and Gravely are two different mowers, but they are both owned by the Ariens company. Ariens also owns Bynorm and Stens. So much for Bynorm being australian although hopefully there is still some manufacturing here. Ariens have just announced they distribute through Allpower rather than thru the dealers. The parts supply chain (bynorm & stens) stays the same.

http://www.ariensco.com/Company/News?post=2015/04/28/Ariens-Company-Assigns-Australian-Distribution-of-Ariens-Gravely-Equipment-Brands-to-Allpower-Industries
http://allpower.com.au/feel-the-power/

Redeye
04-07-2015, 09:32 PM
the gravely zt mower is a rebadged ariens