PDA

View Full Version : Roundup & Cancer.

Fred's mowing
25-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Seems to be a fairly hot topic at the moment.
Channel 9 news is running a story tonight for those interested.
Cheers Fred.

Mow And Go
25-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Probably more sensationalised bs like what was on 4 corners.

imoww
25-03-2015, 05:38 PM
yer... from the media,,,Just about anything gives you cancer these days....

seliment
25-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Yeah ... All ppl who get cancer breathe air afaik ..
So what inference can a cheapskate sensationist journo come up with ??

I somehow feel that the time it takes Roundup (or glyphosate) to kill me, I will have fallen off the perch anyway.
In fact I reckon we are more likely to be got by bad lifestyle, poor food choice eg lots of 'fast food' C*ke, R*d B*ll etc, or some 'food additive' in highly processed food.

Joe

Scooby Steve
25-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Cancer, Parkinson's, MS, damage to the bacteria in your gut....... it's real and it will catch up with you at some stage if you stay in the game long enough. So take precautions as best you can and charge the rate its worth when using it. I look at Asbestos removers and see what they earn for the associated health risks then i look at us and i can't understand why we cook ourselves each and every week using these sprays for what equates to next to nothing. You can bury your heads in the sand if you want but our job has many health risks and using this stuff is definitely one of them. So is sun exposure, co2 overexposure and the list goes on.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
25-03-2015, 11:07 PM
another thing to screw me over .. I'll add it to the list. I've already got skin cancer , I drink way too much , smoke like a chimney , have to to be tested for asbestos every year.....

steveo
26-03-2015, 11:35 AM
The best chance of making an informed decision is by reading the MSDS for each chamical you use including petrol. If only we had similar info for the food we eat and where it came from.

Scooby Steve
26-03-2015, 02:15 PM
The best chance of making an informed decision is by reading the MSDS for each chamical you use including petrol. If only we had similar info for the food we eat and where it came from.

Yep and just try to minimize the risk by wearing appropriate safety gear and using common sense while using these chemicals.

jd
06-10-2015, 08:38 PM
The best thing we can do is be proactive and seek out as much independent info as we can. There's heaps out there. The worst thing you can do is go along with the Chemical industry blurb. Chemical industry, tobacco industry, food industry ... they don't really care too much about you, your family or friends.

seliment
06-10-2015, 09:35 PM
You forgot to add governments and (most of) their bureaucracies to the list ...

And in the of the fire up Lancefield way ...
If it (the 'controlled burn') was done by private landholder and then inadequately patrolled ... A 'careless use of fire' charge would probably follow to have them dragged before the criminal courts ......
If it was due to the action of a govt bureaucracy with insufficient foresight and/or then insufficient/inadequate followup .... Then we we can expect some mealy mouthed words to follow to how it was 'unfortunate' or 'not foreseeable'...

Maybe there should be some stronger accountability sheeted home to these manager-bureaucrats (on a personal basis) for their actions/decisions. Ie drag them before a court charged with 'careless use of fire'.

Joe

South East Mowing
06-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Cancer, Parkinson's, MS, damage to the bacteria in your gut....... it's real and it will catch up with you at some stage if you stay in the game long enough. So take precautions as best you can and charge the rate its worth when using it. I look at Asbestos removers and see what they earn for the associated health risks then i look at us and i can't understand why we cook ourselves each and every week using these sprays for what equates to next to nothing. You can bury your heads in the sand if you want but our job has many health risks and using this stuff is definitely one of them. So is sun exposure, co2 overexposure and the list goes on.

It's a chemical! Made by chemical companies!

Read the labels, take their advice, but don't trust a word they say and be extra cautious!

Many things safe for us 50 years ago are now shown to be completely the opposite.

Redeye
07-10-2015, 09:26 AM
while I'm a little sceptical re round-up, l think the best approach is eyes wide open and agree with this ^^

Macka
07-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Charge heaps for spraying and don't try and get spray jobs, get the customers to spray. happy not to spray.

Scooby Steve
07-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Charge heaps for spraying and don't try and get spray jobs, get the customers to spray. happy not to spray.

Unfortunately if you are maintaining gardens its hard to avoid, insecticides, herbicides etc, you can minimise it by using preventative measures but in our game unless you just do lawns its a hazard we face every day.

BSD
07-10-2015, 08:33 PM
What about a good dose of Chlordan/Aldrin/Heptachlor, all banned now but thems the rules.

South East Mowing
02-02-2016, 08:47 PM
A good read on Mercola.com about roundup. Sounds a bit like the tobacco industry to me:i dunno:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/current.aspx

Macka
02-02-2016, 09:05 PM
I still have a smoke when im on the piss