PDA

View Full Version : Which lawn variety for mornington peninsula?

mowbro
07-09-2015, 09:27 PM
My sister has just moved into their new house on the mornington peninsula and are about to start the task of planning out the landscape in their backyard.

I'm wondering what type of instant turf is going to be the best for their situation between Sir Walter Buffalo and Kikuyu. Which The following needs to be taken into consideration :

- they have two dogs and also have three young kids.
- area to be turfed will be around 300m3

Which variety will hold up to dog business better?
Which variety will stay greener for longer during winter?

Thanks in advance!

Macka
07-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Kikuyu will grow on concrete, needs less water, better drought tolerance, green all summer with out watering and super dog friendly, you can scalp Kikuyu and it wont hurt it , you can even mow a super low cricket pitch for summer or Christmas.

Sir Walter Buffalo is not idiot proof, needs to be maintained correctly.

Sir Walter Buffalo stops growing for the winter, Kikuyu will brown off in winter if it is hit with server frost hail.

irishjim
08-09-2015, 06:20 PM
The kikuyu will grow much faster than the buffalo in warmer months though requiring a lot more mowing.also won't look good if it doesn't get much sun in winter months..buffalo can lose a lot of colour in winter too,depends on mowing height.not sure if dog piddle burns kik but will affect buffalo.kik will repair itself faster too so handles foot traffic well.some places sell kikuyu for nearly half the price of bufalo turf...

PhilG
08-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Kikuyu for sure. Especially with the dogs. Sir Walter will struggle through winter with dogs tearing it up.

urbanpatch
10-09-2015, 09:31 PM
This is the variety that we use.

http://lilydaleinstantlawn.com.au/lawn-varieties/other-varieties/village-green-kikuyu

mowbro
10-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys. My initial gut feeling was Kike too but the turf business they had gotten their initial quote from suggested that Sir Walter was going to do the job best, which didnt sit right with me.

I'll pass on your feedback!

Wyadra
12-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I'd use zoysia 'nara'.

steveo
22-09-2015, 09:09 PM
What's wrong with the most popular and toughest lawn. An assortment of cooch, clover, paspulam, bindi, sour sob, winter grass, dandelion, daisies, summer grass, crab grass, mallow, moss, capeweed and possibly even some blades of grass. :laughing:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
24-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Kikuyu for sure. Especially with the dogs. Sir Walter will struggle through winter with dogs tearing it up.

For sure . Besides I hate buffalo, pain in the arse lawn.

Kik will not end up being a good lawn if its not looked after. Mow high ( I like to mow it at least on a number 6 ) and put some love into it. Weed it and fert it. It can be a beautiful lawn to have.

Scooby Steve
27-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Either would be fine but Kikuyu is tougher for sure just be careful near garden beds as it will take over if you don't deal with it along border of the beds.