PDA

View Full Version : leaf curl and aphid probs

steveo
02-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Any fruit growers out there. I have a few peaches and nectarine trees. We have had a wet winter. I sprayed with copper spray but only once just on bud burst. I know I should have sprayed more often but time just slips away.

Anyway there is a tree that has a graft early variety on it and it is absolutely riddled with leaf curl, what would you do? Chop off the affected branches or just leave them. i tend to heavy prune to keep the fruit within reach. The other problem I have is a bad aphid problem, worst I have seen. I've squirted them off with a strong jet of water but what would you do?

Fruit trees are hard work and all this so i can get get the fruit ready for the fruit flies.

kevinsuzanne
02-10-2015, 05:05 PM
it is to late to respray for leaf curl try pest oil on aphids

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
02-10-2015, 09:31 PM
it is to late to respray for leaf curl try pest oil on aphids

Can't help with the leaf curl but spray the aphids with a mixture of soapy water and chilli oil. Do it at night not on a hot day.

seliment
02-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Just leave the branches.
You can pick off/up the diseased leaves and send them to landfill (not compost) to reduce source of next infection.
Hopefully there will be some new leaves still sprout this season.

No doubt you sprayed with a commercial mix, but you can make your own at a fraction of the price and it is easy.
There used to be recipes for Bordeaux mix and mix on the web but many have disappeared (Gardening Aust used yo have one).
I have the recipes and my pref is Burgundy mix which is Copper sulphate and Sodium carbonate (Lectic brand washing soda) in the right proportions. Both ingredients are pretty cheap.
Let me know if anyone wants the recipes.

Joe

steveo
20-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Hi Joe, yeah I'd be interested in the recipe. I sprayed once using liquid copper but some buds had burst already so maybe I was too late. I just didn't get an oppurtunity to spray before that because of a wet winter. I have never seen aphids like this, i have been spraying them with jets of water but they are back quick as a flash, all over the actual fruit too, not just the leaves. Was going to use pyrethium but they do seem. None of my customers have this aphid issue.

steveo
20-10-2015, 05:18 PM
meant to say was going to use pyrethium but they do seem to be tapering off. Didn't want to kill all the lady beetles.

seliment
21-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Hi Joe, yeah I'd be interested in the recipe. I sprayed once using liquid copper but some buds had burst already so maybe I was too late. I just didn't get an oppurtunity to spray before that because of a wet winter. I have never seen aphids like this, i have been spraying them with jets of water but they are back quick as a flash, all over the actual fruit too, not just the leaves. Was going to use pyrethium but they do seem. None of my customers have this aphid issue.

I think these spray mixes are accepted as 'organic', but if I am mistaken, please correct me.
My pref is the Burgundy mix as it a free flowing solution/suspension so does not require constant agitation and is not prone to blocking spray nozzle.
Please scale all recipes to make the quantity you need - prob 10 to 20 litres at most.

From West Aust Dept Ag Farmote 78/1991 (not sure that it is avail anymore)

Bordeaux mix
1000gm slaked lime (builders/brickies lime eg Limil. NOT garden lime)
1000gm Copper Sulphate
100 litres water
Mix the copper sulphate in about 75% of water and lime on remainder.
Strain the lime slurry to get rid of lumps which will block spray.
Add lime slurry to Copper sulphate mix and stir vigorously.
Used plastic containers or similar - the Cu will react with ferrous and most metal containers.
Make the mix weaker for sensitive plants. Mixtures with a lesser concentration of lime are more likely to burn plants.

Burgundy Mix
1000gm copper sulphate
1500gm hydrated washing soda - Sodium Carbonate ( eg Lectric brand)
100 litres water

Note: the hydrated washing soda looks like glassy crystals.
It can lose it's water of crystallisation over time and become 'anhydrous sodium carbonate' and it then looks like a white powder. If this is the case, reduce the quantity to 1000gm.
Washing soda (sodium carbonate) can be bought at your local supermarket, usually as Lectric brand.
It is recommended to use fresh washing soda which will be fully hydrated.

Mix the copper sulphate washing soda separately using half the water for each.
Finally mix the 2 solutions together and stir vigourously.

For either of the mixes.
Molasses can be added at rate of 500ml per 100litres to make spray stick better or white oil at similar rate for controlling pests that are normally controlled by white oil.

The pH of the mix should be near 7.0.
This can be checked with a pH test strip
Or
Put an iron nail in mix for about 1 minute.
If Copper forms on nail, the mix is too acid (low pH) [and risks burning foilage] - add more lime or soda.

There is a third mix - Chesthunt mix - used to protect seedlings against 'damping off'.
It uses copper sulphate, ammonium carbonate/rock ammonia and water in ratio
50gm copper sulphate : 275gm ammonium carbonate.
Crush together,Mix and store in tightly closed jar for at least 24hrs (ammonia fumes!!)
The take 50gm of mix, dissolve in 100-200ml of hot water a then dilute to 20litres with cold water.
Apply at rate of 1litre / sq metre, then wash from leaves.
Treat up to twice weekly if needed to control fungal damping off.

The ammonium carbonate is a bit more exotic chemical and I am not sure where to source it readily,
But I think it is sometimes used in cooking - I saw a recipe for 'Ammonia biscuits' in an old family recipe book and it calls for 'rock ammonia' which I understand to be ammonium carbonate.
I think it makes the biscuits 'rise'.

Joe