PDA

View Full Version : Viburnum Hedges

LGGF
23-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Is there any way to prevent the browning off of the leaves that are cut when trimming a Viburnum hedge, short of using hand shears?
My hedgers are good quality and relatively sharp.

irishjim
23-02-2016, 05:26 PM
This happens some of my own shrubs too(not vibernum though,Duranta and some natives) if I water them all over shortly after trimming it stops any browning..

LGGF
23-02-2016, 07:22 PM
This happens some of my own shrubs too(not vibernum though,Duranta and some natives) if I water them all over shortly after trimming it stops any browning..

Thanks Jim, most clients accept that this will occur, I had a client point it out to me today, two weeks after I had cut the hedge.

Mow And Go
23-02-2016, 07:38 PM
stating the obvious I think but make sure youre not using wd40 or the likes on the bar. and if you are using kero to clean the bar after a long day, make sure its all off before hitting a hedge. I find lanox is pretty good.

Fred's mowing
24-02-2016, 07:14 PM
I don't believe there is any way of cutting ANY hedge & having no browning whatsoever.
You will even brown fine leaf conifers, larger leaf hedges are worse.
You're going to partially cut the leaves & stems which will cause the browning.
You could go over it with hand hedge shears but, thats not very practical, even then, you wouldn't get every leaf.
Good communication with your customer & their expectations is important here.
There is no such thing as perfection but, there is a HUGE difference in standards.

Now Jim, now tell us how this watering thing works.
Cheers Fred.

irishjim
25-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Only works on days with no s in its spelling...nah does seem to reduce the browning,maybe temps were cooler too,obviously would be more noticeable on large leaf plants..shoulda done a retrial today,'twas nice n toasty..

LGGF
26-02-2016, 05:40 PM
I don't believe there is any way of cutting ANY hedge & having no browning whatsoever.
You will even brown fine leaf conifers, larger leaf hedges are worse.
You're going to partially cut the leaves & stems which will cause the browning.
You could go over it with hand hedge shears but, thats not very practical, even then, you wouldn't get every leaf.
Good communication with your customer & their expectations is important here.
There is no such thing as perfection but, there is a HUGE difference in standards.

Now Jim, now tell us how this watering thing works.
Cheers Fred.

Thanks Fred, the client's expectations were based on the previous contractor who would take three days and do it by hand.

Too big for me to do by hand, I would be three weeks behind when I finish. (maybe save it for a Winter job)

courty
26-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Three days by hand ! Holy moly, that's why he is the previous contractor, he went out of business lol

Bluey
27-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Three days by hand ! Holy moly, that's why he is the previous contractor, he went out of business lol

And what did he charge?

NLALM
27-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Hand jobs aren't cheap

Redeye
27-02-2016, 06:12 PM
esp if blowing is done

Mow And Go
27-02-2016, 07:38 PM
As long as it ends up with a happy ending, it's worth it

Fred's mowing
27-02-2016, 08:49 PM