BeetleJuice
05-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Looking at what we use these day's where are they really being made

Shindaiwa - China
Echo -China
Stihl -China
Makita - Japan
Honda -Japan

Correct or ad more info and products or adjust that information to what you beleive is correct

Redeye
05-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Honda- China
Tanaka / Hitachi - China & Japan depending on model
maruyama - Japan (brushies re-branded as bushranger)

stptow
05-05-2016, 03:29 PM
some stihl stuff also made in mexico

djkgrounds
05-05-2016, 05:28 PM
My Dad got out of Shindaiwa when they started making them in China. He was there NQ Sales Manager for years (when still made in Japan), then opened a shop up in NT as a Shindaiwa dealer. He said there quality became poor, and had a lot come back for warranty repairs. He got rid of them after that.

Mow And Go
05-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Never had any issues with any shindi gear personally and I flog my gear, as does the off siders

edbeek
05-05-2016, 06:22 PM
All of my Stihl gear has Made by Stihl Inc USA. Doesn't actually say WHERE though.
Same with the Husqvarna stuff. Just has a plate with 'Husqvarna Sweden' on it. NOT 'Made in Sweden'

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Redeye
05-05-2016, 07:59 PM
the only stihl gear made in germany for quite a few years is some of the really exxy chainsaws

jal2007
05-05-2016, 08:03 PM
most the power outdoor equipment are made in china except the big stuff like ztrs, tractors

South East Mowing
05-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Never had any issues with any shindi gear personally and I flog my gear, as does the off siders

+1 .

Redeye
05-05-2016, 08:16 PM
most the power outdoor equipment are made in china except the big stuff like ztrs, tractors

yep! a lot of husky and stihl is also made in mexico and brazil

stephenst
05-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Had reason to purchase a stihl fs85r snipper about 6 weeks ago. Small sticker on shaft said made in Brazil.

ASTRO
05-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Bought a new stihl sg20 back-pack sprayer.
On the first run the bottom seal was faulty.
Ended up with round-up all over my back + legs.
Made in Columbia - Cheers, luv the irony.

kevinsuzanne
06-05-2016, 07:48 AM
that is the trouble with back pack sprayers something goes wrong with them
it is absorbed into the skin quickly .

steveo
06-05-2016, 08:54 AM
All the cheaper labour or better exchange rate countries making stuff for companies foreign owned to be shipped around the world. Worlds gone mad.

fastfreddy
14-05-2016, 05:24 PM
For those of you who wish to purchase a Tanaka product which was still "Made in Japan", get your skates on.
The last shipment of TBC 290s, 340s etc (which are the last of the old school Tanakas) is due in approx. 6 weeks. After that, the plant in Japan will be closing and all production will move to China.
If that is not enough of a body blow, the afore mentioned brushcutters etc will be discontinued in favour of nasty plastic "improved" models which had already begun to filter into the Tanaka lineup.
Cheers
FF

hjl
14-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Are Makita brushcutters still made in Japan?
What about Kubota brushcutters?
Cheers
hjl

Redeye
14-05-2016, 09:56 PM
the RBC makitas have the Robin engines, I'd be wary of the others; I think, from my atrocious memory, that the Kubotas used to be Zenoah engines, but don't think they're Japanese anymore.....but possibly/probably wrong lol

fastfreddy
15-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Hi Lads.
As for the Kubota whippys, they are rebranded Kazz machines using the well proven Mitsu. range of engines. Can't see a made in Japan sticker anywhere so assume china.
Cheers

ASTRO
17-05-2016, 10:38 PM
When I replace my shindawia brush cutter + Art. extended hedge trimmers this spring will go with maruyama.

BeetleJuice
17-05-2016, 10:51 PM
When I replace my shindawia brush cutter + Art. extended hedge trimmers this spring will go with maruyama.

it would have been the best trimmer i've ever owned.Sadly we no longer have any outlets here in South Australia plus the general public knew nothing about them nor did the average lawn contractor.Which meant the sales were'nt there and the dealers replaced them with another brand

ASTRO
17-05-2016, 11:16 PM
it would have been the best trimmer i've ever owned.Sadly we no longer have any outlets here in South Australia plus the general public knew nothing about them nor did the average lawn contractor.Which meant the sales were'nt there and the dealers replaced them with another brand

Local hills dealer is stocking maruyama + bushranger products.
The shindawia ext hedge trimmers quality has got to a point I consider them non-commercial.
The change to the aluminium hedge cutter bar is the final decider.

BeetleJuice
18-05-2016, 06:01 PM
The shindawia ext hedge trimmers quality has got to a point I consider them non-commercial.

Sounds like your talking about short cut mowers..Mount Barker

Fred's mowing
18-05-2016, 06:20 PM

Hi Astro, not quite sure what u mean by the aluminium hedge cutter bar ?
Cheers Fred.

ASTRO
18-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Sounds like your talking about short cut mowers..Mount Barker

Hey Beetle juice, Lobethal mowers will be stocking maruyama/bushranger models.
Cheers Astro.

ASTRO
18-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Hi Astro, not quite sure what u mean by the aluminium hedge cutter bar ?
Cheers Fred.

Hey Fred,
The top metal bar which the two cutting blades are bolted onto.
Similar set-up with the new hedger dh2200st.
There is too much flex when pruning heavier material.
Cheers Astro.

Fred's mowing
18-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Hey Fred,
Cheers Astro.

Thanx Astro, its a real shame its come to that, I love my shindy gear !
Cheers Fred.

troppo
19-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Hey Fred,
Cheers Astro.

Talking to the local single owner/operator mower repairs and anything small engine, who sells Bushranger gear as well, backed that up just this afternoon. Said that the Shindy trimmers were bad for sagging cuttter bars. Told him about this thread and he says it all makes sense now. I have both the Bushranger L26 whippy and the HT23 hedge trimmer and make them work for me, and cannot fault them, even in high 30's, pouring rain or whatever. Over 4yrs on the whippy and I got it secondhand for free, so who knows how much work it had done before me. Only thing I have had to repair was a stripped thread for an exhaust stud and bearings in the head and feels like it will go for another 4 yrs. Starts first pull, hot or cold too.

kakegc
20-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Tanaka has been labelled Hitachi for quite some time now. I personally still wouldn't buy it, made in Japan or not.

Shindi & Echo are still made in Japan, except the cheap home owner stuff like the 31cc chainsaw. I bought an Echo saw recently & it has a "made in Japan" sticker on it. Still as good quality as ever from Echo!

FS85r's have been made in Brazil for at least 8 years; I have one that has been used exclusively as a pole hedger for 6 years, its been absolutely hammered & still runs well. My HT75 is made in Brazil, my old one was made in Germany, no difference in the quality that I can see!

My old HRU216 has "Made in China" on it, it still runs like a champ. Bought it in 2003.

What's the panic? ;)

Scooby Steve
20-08-2016, 06:46 PM
For those of you who wish to purchase a Tanaka product which was still "Made in Japan", get your skates on.
The last shipment of TBC 290s, 340s etc (which are the last of the old school Tanakas) is due in approx. 6 weeks. After that, the plant in Japan will be closing and all production will move to China.
If that is not enough of a body blow, the afore mentioned brushcutters etc will be discontinued in favour of nasty plastic "improved" models which had already begun to filter into the Tanaka lineup.
Cheers
FF

I've got an old tanaka hedge trimmer made in Japan love it, has managed to straddle the line between both fine and course hedge trimming duties brilliantly. Japanese made stuff was quality gear.

imoww
19-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Hi guys I’m a big believer in using Jap brands only.
Was using the Honda UMK 425 for many years. Due to the weight, I went to a Tanaka then they closed down in Japan and China crap took over so I went to Japanese made maruyama and it’s still the best one I’ve had.
Only issue is parts are hard to get... I have to order them from overseas...
The japs have always been good at what they do...

BeetleJuice
20-03-2021, 07:45 AM
Anything China made for spare parts has delays due to world wide shortages,been waiting for a replacement gear box going into 4 months.Yanks are noticing too them saying new Stihl products are scarce and some brand mowers

Redeye
20-03-2021, 08:51 AM
Hi guys I’m a big believer in using Jap brands only.
Was using the Honda UMK 425 for many years. Due to the weight, I went to a Tanaka then they closed down in Japan and China crap took over so I went to Japanese made maruyama and it’s still the best one I’ve had.
Only issue is parts are hard to get... I have to order them from overseas...
The japs have always been good at what they do...
Agreed, love my Bushranger whippies (Maru...) it's a shame Tanaka aren't making quality gear anymore

South East Mowing
25-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Agreed, love my Bushranger whippies (Maru...) it's a shame Tanaka aren't making quality gear anymore

Anyone use the Bushranger L361 - 35.5 cc whippy?